HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 08:52 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
well he got his first goal tonight so hopefully this gets him going on the stat sheet....

Old
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I thought the goal appeared to give him a lift. He was dangerous after that and he seemed to get more ice time as well. Hopefully that trend continues.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
20 more games in junior is hardly going to make him more NHL-ready.
I hear you,

I worry about bringing into what could be a train-wreck of a season. Playing third line minutes with averagely skilled guys at best and losing more often than not could have a negative effect on his development. Admittedly this is pure speculation, given his potential I would be very cautious in how I handle his development.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I didn't know this about Grigs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Grigorenko

"Grigorenko moved to Quebec City with his mother and older brother, Yuri.[4] While he initially didn't understand English, Grigorenko took classes five days a week with a Russian teacher and by the end of the season he was able to conduct interviews in English without the aid of a translator."

That is really impressive, his English is a lot better than most Russians that have been in the league for much longer. I figured he learned English as a kid.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:50 AM
Shoey
Hello.

It's amusing that he didn't learn French playing in Quebec, his dream really was to play in the NHL and nothing less.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:36 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
It's amusing that he didn't learn French playing in Quebec, his dream really was to play in the NHL and nothing less.
You can tell that is all he wanted for his whole life. I think now he got his goal out of the way, we wont be pressing all that much and get back to slowing the game down to his speed and I think you'll see a much better and dangerous player. We'll see how he does vs our best opponent so far.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Grigs seems like a really good guy. He has that smile when he gets interviewed. Lots of players (and fans) forget that this is supposed to be fun. It's a game.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Grigs seems like a really good guy. He has that smile when he gets interviewed. Lots of players (and fans) forget that this is supposed to be fun. It's a game.
I loved seeing his excitement when he scored. Obviously anyone would have been excited in that situation, but he didnt even care to hide it. You couldn't slap that smile off his face, even after he sat down.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Something lost in #VanekMania last night was Grig's first assist. Scoring a point in the game immediately after his first goal will only help his confidence.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

2 game point streak

Seriously though, 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 48 games would be a very successful rookie season for Grigorenko IMO. It's still weird to think that this kid is only 18 years old and still doesnt turn 19 for almost another 4 months.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Something lost in #VanekMania last night was Grig's first assist. Scoring a point in the game immediately after his first goal will only help his confidence.
Yup, and on the game-tying goal that made it 4-4 at that.
And wasn't his goal also a 3rd period tying one? Is it too soon to call him clutch?

On a serious note, I'm glad to see him get on the score sheet again. Hopefully he can keep his confidence up and keep improving throughout the year. Kid has the talent to become a great player.

Old
02-01-2013, 03:43 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
2 game point streak

Seriously though, 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 48 games would be a very successful rookie season for Grigorenko IMO. It's still weird to think that this kid is only 18 years old and still doesnt turn 19 for almost another 4 months.
That would be outstanding, I'd still be happy with 15 points for a kid this age but 20-25 is certainly realistic I think

Old
02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
His last three games, he's improving, starting to play more in the other team's zone. Seems he's getting more acclimated to the speed.

02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
His last three games, he's improving, starting to play more in the other team's zone. Seems he's getting more acclimated to the speed.
Which is precisely why Ruff has brought him along perfectly.

It does seem like the puck is on Hecht's stick more so than Grigorenko's when their trio is out, though. I'd like to see that change. He's looked good of late.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
He's not doing bad for a 35 year old rookie

Old
02-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Which is precisely why Ruff has brought him along perfectly.

It does seem like the puck is on Hecht's stick more so than Grigorenko's when their trio is out, though. I'd like to see that change. He's looked good of late.
It's a problem with Leino coming up lame -- there isn't a lot of natural offensive flair out there with him. Foligno/Ott-Girgorenko-Leino has more chops than the current trio, even if the puck is on Leino's stick more often.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Assume he will face the Galchenyuk line all night, good test for him.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

There's something a bit unsettling about having our stud 18 year old Russian being developed by Ruff. Part of me wishes we sent him back down to finish out the season under Roy, he seemed to be doing a great job with Grigorenko and Grig's seemed to really like him. Ideally, we should have sent Grig's down, and hoped Lindy gets fired after we inevitably miss the playoffs again...this way Grigorenko never had to deal with this clown.

I can't be the only one that isn't comfortable with a young Russian under Ruff? I haven't really had any complaints about the way Ruff has used him so far, our depth is terrible so there really is no one better to play with Grigorenko, but it still scares the hell out of me.

Has Ruff ever had to coach a player this young and raw with no pro experience? I believe Vanek was 20-21 years old his rookie season and already had a full season of AHL under his belt. Myers is the only one I think, and he was 20 right? Maybe only 19, I forget..but I wouldn't really call him a success right now.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 02-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Remparts' Adam Erne and Nick Sorensen have french classes and french speaking girlfriends and they still can't do interviews in french.

They mostly speak english on the team anyway. 13 out of 23 players speak english as a 1st language.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:31 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
http://hookedonhockeymagazine.com/im-ready-for-the-nhl/

Good interview with Grigs

Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Interesting how he mentions "keeping my head up to avoid injuries"...helps to explain his obvious hesitancy at times...

Old
02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
Interesting how he mentions "keeping my head up to avoid injuries"...helps to explain his obvious hesitancy at times...
Smart. This season, I don't give a **** about his offensive output. Learn the pro game. He's 18. Don't get killed. Offensive output is a bonus IMO.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:23 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Meanwhile, rookie Mikhail Grigorenko could possibly sit tonight. The 18-year-old’s said he’s taking warm-ups.The Russian’s been receiving minimal ice time recently, skating only 10:34 and 7:13 in his last two outings. Ruff, however, has upped his minutes late in games, awarding him some regular third-period action.

Grigorenko assisted on Alexander Sulzer’s third-period winner in Saturday’s 3-2 triumph over the Islanders in New York.

“There’s times he’s going to get good ice time, there’s times where if he’s going well he’ll get more ice time,” Ruff said. “Where you look at early in the game, the handling of the puck, he made some choices I’d like to improve. I didn’t like the way some of the players above him were playing, so I put him in a situation where he’d get more.“His ice time’s going to vary. There’s going to be games where he plays. There’s going to be games where he doesn’t play. There’s going to be games where he plays a lot. There’s days where we really want to work hard on some parts of his game.”
This is exactly the reason people didn't want this jackass coaching him. He was playing great in the third last night, made a nice D play and on his next shift does all the dirty work on that goal, and his reward is a trip to the press box....great move for his confidence.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:27 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
This is exactly the reason people didn't want this jackass coaching him. He was playing great in the third last night, made a nice D play and on his next shift does all the dirty work on that goal, and his reward is a trip to the press box....great move for his confidence.
Calm down. There are people that would blame the coach if he played him too much.

I never believed in ruining a player, your either good or not. The kid is about 3-4 years away from being a regular play for the Sabres.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:27 PM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Calm down. There are people that would blame the coach if he played him too much.

I never believed in ruining a player, your either good or not. The kid is about 3-4 years away from being a regular play for the Sabres.
Really huh. 3-4 years you say huh. Thanks for your thoughts Lindy.
By the way I disagree with youur thoughts. Don't tell me he is being utilized properly. He's not. But from Lindy I wouldn't expect anything different. Hecht will lead the team in ice time. That alone should cost Lindy his job. But the way he is handling this kid should also imo.

Hey did you see Montreal's 18 year old kid SCORE on Miller in the shootout? When do you think Lindy would allow #25 to have a go at it in a shootout? Round 20 maybe?

Closed Thread