HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Isn't Girgensons concussed still? Have heard literally nothing on him, in response to someone saying something about Girg
Nope he returned to action a week or two ago.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:43 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Nope he returned to action a week or two ago.
Thanks!

ANYWAAAAY.

Grigs must be brought up gradually. he needs TOI though with some offensive threats on his sides to guide him.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Our center depth is so terrible that Regier rushed both grigs and girgs to go pro, simple as that. That should be reason enough for him to get canned.
I have been perhaps the most critical person here of the handling of these two, so I agree.

It's great that Regier had the courage to take Grigorenko and to trade up for Girgensons, but he's playing with fire.
Both of their rookie pro seasons are likely going to end up as write offs, basically -- less ice time than their peers, lesser roles than their peers, minimal production, minimal impact on games, possible loss of confidence.
What's next, another major injury for Girgensons? One for Grigorenko? Call up Girgensons and play him enough to burn a year of his ELC?

The worst part of it is that they could be part of potential championship teams if they had just made better decisions, something that's surely not happening here and probably unlikely to happen in Rochester.
Québec was a contender for the league title with Grigorenko and Kelowna is a contender without Girgensons ever stepping foot there and would likely be even better with him.
Vermont is still mediocre but at least made the playoffs this year and also would have been better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
He leaves them he would have got tons of crap, he signs them he gets tons of crap. His damned if he does and damn if he doesn't. There is no right or wrong, just a decision which impacts on a kids future. Its up to Grig and Girg what they make of it, why can't people see that?
No, if he leaves them alone, they're likely out of sight, out of mind since most fans and media do not follow prospects.
If they just gave Grigorenko training camp and five games or less, most fans would probably say "they surely know what's best", just like they did when he was kept on the roster.
If they let Girgensons go to Vermont or signed him and put him in Kelowna, again, fans would probably say "they know what's best", just like when they talked about sending him to Rochester.

Because they kept them locally though, they are very much in sight which leads to criticism.
Grigorenko's lack of ice time, production, and readiness can be seen by any fan that watches the Sabres.
The fact that Girgensons is not physically mature enough to play his style at the professional level yet is on display for fans in Rochester or those that watch games when they're on TV.
If they were simply following the same development curve as the rest of their non-elite peers, everything would likely be gravy.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

I think Grigorenko sums up this season for me. Lot of hype, lot of buildup, I was really excited about it/him, and it/him sucks.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:54 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

I just don't see how he can possibly succeed playing with the players that he does.He needs more then 10 minutes. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway so live with the growing pains and put him in position to succeed. I know Rolston will continue with Ruffs tactics with Grigs, Rolston can care less about developing Grigs, he wants to win so he can possibly be named the full time head coach so I see a lot of scratches and benchings for Grigs the rest of the way.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:48 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I just don't see how he can possibly succeed playing with the players that he does.He needs more then 10 minutes. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway so live with the growing pains and put him in position to succeed. I know Rolston will continue with Ruffs tactics with Grigs, Rolston can care less about developing Grigs, he wants to win so he can possibly be named the full time head coach so I see a lot of scratches and benchings for Grigs the rest of the way.
If you believe that you don't know much about Rolston.

Grig isn't ready, but his here and I don't think keeping him will do him any harm. Sending him back down could destroy his confidence (like Luke Adam, who has never been the same since). So could giving him top minutes immediately. His got amazing potential but he is not a stud, or ready for prime time minutes against the Chara's of this league. A slow introduction like the Bruins gave Seguin (who was mostly on 4th line duty during his rookie year) is the best thing for him at this stage imho.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:48 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...rigorenko.html

THN goes 1 on 1 with Grigs

Old
02-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 50
I hate to swim against the tide here, but I don't think he's looked all *that* bad.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:16 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
He sounds lost. Wonderful job everyone.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
I hate to swim against the tide here, but I don't think he's looked all *that* bad.
He has just looked very...hesitant. Sometimes lost. I think the problem everyone here is having is that there was so much hype about him.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
He has just looked very...hesitant. Sometimes lost. I think the problem everyone here is having is that there was so much hype about him.
I thought last game he looked a little more decisive. The wrap around move was more confidence I had seen in a while.

While I don`t think he should have been kept up, I`ll give Rolston a chance here. The guys has been great with you players, maybe he can really help Mikhail.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:57 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

He's an 18 year old kid that fans were penciling in as the center of destiny the day he was drafted.

Let him come along and see what happens.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I haven't read the article, only saw the headline while waiting for my morning coffee, but Sullivan is now preaching about giving Grigorenko playing time. As if anything could further cement my desire to see the kid sent back to the Q....

02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
I thought last game he looked a little more decisive. The wrap around move was more confidence I had seen in a while.

While I don`t think he should have been kept up, I`ll give Rolston a chance here. The guys has been great with you players, maybe he can really help Mikhail.
I'm with this. Rolston's supposed strong suit is working with young players. Give Grigs some time with him and see what comes of it.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

The saddest thing for me is that you guys were so hyped up you thought he would win rookie of the year for sure. Now you realise his only a kid and will take time to develop you want nothing to do with him.

I bet a number of you would trade him.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I haven't read the article, only saw the headline while waiting for my morning coffee, but Sullivan is now preaching about giving Grigorenko playing time. As if anything could further cement my desire to see the kid sent back to the Q....
With Rolston coaching for a full-time gig, and Regier with his job possibly on the line, I hope Jerry's holding his breath.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:43 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
The saddest thing for me is that you guys were so hyped up you thought he would win rookie of the year for sure. Now you realise his only a kid and will take time to develop you want nothing to do with him.

I bet a number of you would trade him.
Wait. Who thought he was a ROTY candidate? Because I recall approximately no people saying that ever.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

Quote:
If you believe that you don't know much about Rolston.
I know enough about Rolston to know that be cares more about winning games immediately then to play an 18 year old enough so he can develop. Just because he has worked with a lot of young players doesn't change the fact that he is an INTERIM head coach and the only chance he has of possibly getting the job full time is if he wins enough to make the playoffs. Playing an 18 year old isn't the best way of reaching that goal. I'm just hoping for next season we have Nathan Mackinnon on this team and Patrick Roy behind the bench.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:58 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Wait. Who thought he was a ROTY candidate? Because I recall approximately no people saying that ever.
I remember a number of articles and people sayng he was going to take the NHL by storm. Each to their own, didn't mean to sound as rude as it came across. I get frustrated by large amounts of this fan base and the pessimistic mentality.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:00 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I would say maybe 1-2% of posters. Maybe. But hey, don't let that stop people from making things up so they can tear it down.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I know enough about Rolston to know that be cares more about winning games immediately then to play an 18 year old enough so he can develop. Just because he has worked with a lot of young players doesn't change the fact that he is an INTERIM head coach and the only chance he has of possibly getting the job full time is if he wins enough to make the playoffs. Playing an 18 year old isn't the best way of reaching that goal. I'm just hoping for next season we have Nathan Mackinnon on this team and Patrick Roy behind the bench.
Rolston wasn't the only candidate for this job, they could have given it to Patrick. We don't know what his job description was. We don't know that Regier didn't tell him "We need to you get Grigorenko and the other young players in order, that's how you're evaluated, not the record."

IMO, Rolston's HC resume would look a lot better if he can present tangible proof about the improvement of Grigorenko, Foligno, Hodgson, resurrection of Myers, than it would if he strung a run to 9th place, but that's just me.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Rolston wasn't the only candidate for this job, they could have given it to Patrick. We don't know what his job description was. We don't know that Regier didn't tell him "We need to you get Grigorenko and the other young players in order, that's how you're evaluated, not the record."

IMO, Rolston's HC resume would look a lot better if he can present tangible proof about the improvement of Grigorenko, Foligno, Hodgson, resurrection of Myers, than it would if he strung a run to 9th place, but that's just me.
I completely agree

Old
02-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Herman Hessian
Hyperbole Mania #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I completely agree
and it's not a massive leap of faith to say that the best outcome from this trainwreck of a season for the Sabres - forget Rolston's CV - would be the emergence of "tangible proof about the improvement of Grigorenko, Foligno, Hodgson, resurrection of Myers..." and the top three pick that might ensue from NOT making a run to 9th

maybe it's time to forget the scoreboard as a measure of success, look for signs of tangible proof as above, and anticipate the benefits of the draft

hey - a coach, hockey club and fanbase all aiming for realistic, achievable short-term goals, rather than witlessly aiming for the stratosphere and being constantly pissed at falling short of (presently) unrealistic expectations - now, there's a thing that might make the rest of the season a whole lot more enjoyable...

Old
02-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

I am done with this utter BS. Send him back to the Q and get him some qualityplaying time. He had 7 shifts tonight and 5 min even of playing time. 5 min and that's with Vanek being double shifted!. I just don't feel like his is learning anything about the pro level at this point. I would rather see him back in Quebec for the year to see if they can make a deep playoff run and then at the end of the year see how he stacks up against AHL competition. I want to say more but I feel like it would take to long and I would just be ranting.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:58 PM
MayDayMayDay

Manage the expectations folks, he's still just a baby. Right now, he should be expected to be no more than what he has shown to be: a sponge. Give him as much time as he needs and let him SOAK IT ALL IN: the good, the bad, ALL of it. I'm not worried about his confidence b/c he's been a winner since day one wherever he's played. It's just gonna take some time and some education before it clicks for him on how to transfer that game to the NHL. We're gonna have one hell of a hockey player here, it's just not gonna happen overnight.

Closed Thread