HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Update 2012-2013 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 03:56 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
I didn't say it's an example of him not being a hard worker. I said it's part of him being not a hard worker. Like that not being a hard worker englobes not making enough of a commitment to being physically stronger.

I don't think you understand my logic if that's the example you use and the conclusion you take. By my logic it means that they're hard workers lol cause they're making the commitment to getting stronger. The fact that they still need to get stronger only shows that they didn't have enough time off to get where they had to and that they need another summer of training. This is getting really technical for nothing.
my comment stands if i understand how you came to the conclusion that he isn't strong enough is correct. didn't hear about him trying to get stronger, and isn't strong enough. this must mean that he wasn't trying to get stronger, which means he isn't working hard and isn't committed. if we didn't hear about turris and wier training in the off-season, you would say the same thing. he's a professional athlete that i'm sure has been told that he needed to get stronger. it was obvious from the time he played here last season. i'm sure he's been working on it.

da costa skates hard, and is always trying to make a play. seems like he's working hard out on the ice as well to me. he even though some nice hits this year.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost in the Shell View Post
I'm pretty sure if Aragorn and Bruiser had a choice between Crosby and Lucic they'd pick Lucic.
I would take Malkin and possibly Stamkos over Crosby. I just ****ing hate Crosby.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
It goes without saying, I was just having fun with those guys but two Lucics on either side of Crosby would be interesting.

But people always go to the best players to make a point. What about Pageau vs Schneider? While most were gaga here about Pageau being another Martin St Louis, I thought Schneider had a better shot at playing in Ottawa than Pageau & said so. Of course, neither could make it to Ottawa but one might & I always go for the guy who already has NHL size with some skill while the little guy has less of a shot due to the lack of size & has to be great to make it consistently. Look how Zibanejad passed Da Costa at centre while Da Costa has been great in Bingo but not so much in Ottawa.

Just saying, it isn't always that way & some small guys make it to the NHL but I prefer bigger, tougher players who have that combination of size & skill. Most of the teams who have won the cup recently all had big tough teams Chicago, Annahiem, Boston etc...
I fail to see how Schneider or Culek could be considered better prospects than Pageau.

Ya small players are incredibly overrated by this fan base, but Pageau does everything you want from a small player. He is one of the few smaller players that look like they could actually become an impact at the NHL level.

I can't see why you knock Pageau aside from his size. He goes to the dirty areas, actually throws his weight around, battles hard for loose pucks and is above average defensively. On top of that he has a high compete level and high end offensive potential. He has a lot of similarities in his game to Claude Giroux. So what is your take on Giroux as an NHL player?

Old
03-31-2013, 07:01 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lmao, what? There was many factors that affected Regin not progressing but anyway this has nothing to do with it.

How does DaCosta suck plain and simple

False. DaCosta is also a very hard-worker. DaCosta was being pushed off the puck in the corner, his lack of physical maturity also made him ineffective defensively even though he has amazing stick-work and is an excellent pick-pocketer.

With or without the shoulder injuries Regin put up a couple of points riding Spezza. The guy was never offensively gifted enough to be in the top 6 and he isn't physical enough to be in the bottom 6. I will guarantee you that Regin will be out of the NHL within the next 3 years and he will head home back to Europe.

I feel Da Costa is similar to Regin that I don't feel he will ever put up enough points consistantly to ever play in anyones top 6. His lack of size holds him back too and is inability to play physical enough doesn't help either. Basically he is too soft and not offensively gifted enough to be in the top 6 and I don't see him being a bottom 6 guy.

Destined to be an AHL allstar is my guess.

Quote:
Lol, you're very mad. Like what?

Basing talent off of stats? I have nothing more to say to you. Watch some games, then maybe we can talk.

You're going in loops, calling me a homer yet you have no conclusion, buddy.
I don't like to call people names on a forum, but you seem pretty high on almost each and every one of our prospects like they are the next superstar and you do come off a bit homerish.

No worries though, I like ya.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:15 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

I feel Da Costa is similar to Regin that I don't feel he will ever put up enough points consistantly to ever play in anyones top 6. His lack of size holds him back too and is inability to play physical enough doesn't help either. Basically he is too soft and not offensively gifted enough to be in the top 6 and I don't see him being a bottom 6 guy.
lack of size? 5'11 180 pounds isn't bad. in his last call-up he was willing to throw the body. he likes to be in traffic. he's not soft, or that small.

his play-making skills are pretty darn apparent. if you can't see them, i don't know what to say to you his shot needs some work, but he has been improving it. he's really creative and sees the offensive one really well.

Old
03-31-2013, 07:35 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 2480
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/03/30/...r-rough-season

Decent article on Noesen.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:50 PM
starling

vCash: 50
Owen Sound wins. Ceci 1A.
Noesen vs Ceci in the Western semi-final.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:03 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

Quote:
Lol, he was saying Turris and Wiercioch worked so hard in the off-season yet still not stong enough.

Since they aren't strong enough yet, does it make them not hard enough workers by your logic?

Also, DaCosta had absolutely horrific conditioning because of how he was trained and played hockey. He improved on that so much from this year to last year.

He is still working on his strength, he was rewarded for his play with games in and he looked great but still needs to continue to strengthen his physical game.

Just cause he was sent down does not mean something was definitely glaring.
I think they called him up because they just ran out of centers; I just don't think he fits with Stache's system or Murray's long term plans. IIRC even Grant stayed up a while longer after they sent Da Costa down. FFS they even preferred going with a defenseman in the shoot out instead of giving him a chance.

If he's not getting a chance right now given the absence of Spezza, I just don't see how he'll get one later. The best for him is to get traded unfortunately.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Seems like no matter what we'll have a nice addition to Bingo after this next series. I personally hope that Plymouth wins; I think that defencemen take longer to adjust to the pro game and Ceci would be better served by the developmental time.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
I don't like to call people names on a forum, but you seem pretty high on almost each and every one of our prospects like they are the next superstar and you do come off a bit homerish.

No worries though, I like ya.
Every prospect I have ever pimped has lived up to the "pimping" I gave them. It resulted into our prospect pool top 2-3 past 2-3 years. Lol, i'm just clearing some things up that I notice people overlook, no worries haha I am an optimistic person!

The unfortunate mistake it seems I made was I joined these boards righhhhttt before all our prospects exploded, the era with Lee first overall, so when I made all the crazy claims I was stuck with the "homer" tag cause it seemed ridiculous what I was saying even though now people see the Swedish hype.

I must say, I was very wrong on Sorensen. I will always be surprised at that guy's downfall...

Old
04-01-2013, 07:13 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Bryce Aneloski's season is up and he signed an ATO contract with a CHL team. Is it fair to assume the Sens are not offering him a contract?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
Bryce Aneloski's season is up and he signed an ATO contract with a CHL team. Is it fair to assume the Sens are not offering him a contract?
Hmmm. Didn't finish his college to play for some CHL team? Why would he do that?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
starling

Ceci getting some love from HF. Featured in "On the rush" HF monthly column as an exceeding expectations prospect. The only other D on that list - Jonas Brodin... Whaaat?

Quote:
Cody Ceci, D – Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Drafted by the Ottawa Senators
1st round, 15th overall, 2010

Ceci’s development was done a great service when he was traded from the Ottawa 67's to the Owen Sound Attack on January 7th. Ottawa struggled mightily in their own end all season, and has allowed an average of well over four goals per game. So while Ceci was playing a lot of minutes, it was not exactly the type of quality ice time that is conducive to developing good defensive habits.

The 67's were expected to struggle some this season, after all they graduated Tyler Toffoli (LAK) and Shane Prince (OTT) to the pros, as well as starting goaltender Peter Mrazek (DET). Ceci was expected to help pick up some of the lost offense, and while he was offensively productive with Ottawa, managing roughly a point per game, his defensive game was neglected and he was a minus-14 through 42 games. Since the trade to Owen Sound, Ceci has looked like a different player. He has been smarter defensively, but has also played with a great deal of confidence, shooting the puck more, and playing a crucial role in the Attack’s transition game.

Old
04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
Hmmm. Didn't finish his college to play for some CHL team? Why would he do that?
I think he is finished... it was his senior year, no?

Old
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
He was a senior and his team was eliminated last week, so his college career is over. The Sens have until August to sign him or he becomes a UFA (at least that's the way it was in the last CBA. I don't think it's changed). Likely won't be offered a contract but who knows.

Old
04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
He was a senior and his team was eliminated last week, so his college career is over. The Sens have until August to sign him or he becomes a UFA (at least that's the way it was in the last CBA. I don't think it's changed). Likely won't be offered a contract but who knows.
Wasn't he the overaged defenceman our scouts were in love with According to BDP a few years ago, he predicted we would take him.

Old
04-01-2013, 09:07 PM
FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Wasn't he the overaged defenceman our scouts were in love with According to BDP a few years ago, he predicted we would take him.
Correct. And his production at the college level has been respectable.

Old
04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I fail to see how Schneider or Culek could be considered better prospects than Pageau.

Ya small players are incredibly overrated by this fan base, but Pageau does everything you want from a small player. He is one of the few smaller players that look like they could actually become an impact at the NHL level.

I can't see why you knock Pageau aside from his size. He goes to the dirty areas, actually throws his weight around, battles hard for loose pucks and is above average defensively. On top of that he has a high compete level and high end offensive potential. He has a lot of similarities in his game to Claude Giroux. So what is your take on Giroux as an NHL player?
I'm not knocking Pageau, it's an opinion. He works very hard & I like what I see from him. But my point remains that I don't see him playing in the NHL. Is it possible? Of course, he could turn into another St Louis even, except, I don't see it. He's playing great in Bingo & good for him, maybe he will make it, I just don't think so. When I look at the teams that win cups, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Pitt as a whole, (I'm not a Crosby fan either) big tough teams win cups. I hope Murray gets Nystrom from Dallas at the deadline because he is tough to play against. Do we need goal scorers yes & I've pushed for Fleischmann but we may also have those goal scorers in some of our prospects over time when they get more comfortable at the NHL level. Guys like Nystrom's father win & come up big in the playoffs, they are comfortable playing a very tough game. Some goal scorers tend to disappear in the playoffs & ugly goals become the norm by the pluggers.

I just think guys like Pageau, Da Costa etc... will get killed in the NHL playoffs when the intensity turns up a few notches. I think a guy like Schneider or Grant have a better shot at playing in the NHL than our smaller prospects. IMO Prince has the best chance but it's an outside chance. How many here still think Petersson has a chance to play in Ottawa? I would bet it's a lot less than this past summer even. How many here still think Da Costa will play in Ottawa? Again, I bet it's less people than last yr since Zibanejad has already passed him. Also keep in mind that the guys ahead of Pageau & Da Costa at centre are just as young. I think most teams will take size & skill over guys who may be a little more skilled but much smaller unless the guy turns into St Louis or Crosby & their are very few of those.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I'm not knocking Pageau, it's an opinion. He works very hard & I like what I see from him. But my point remains that I don't see him playing in the NHL. Is it possible? Of course, he could turn into another St Louis even, except, I don't see it. He's playing great in Bingo & good for him, maybe he will make it, I just don't think so. When I look at the teams that win cups, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Pitt as a whole, (I'm not a Crosby fan either) big tough teams win cups. I hope Murray gets Nystrom from Dallas at the deadline because he is tough to play against. Do we need goal scorers yes & I've pushed for Fleischmann but we may also have those goal scorers in some of our prospects over time when they get more comfortable at the NHL level. Guys like Nystrom's father win & come up big in the playoffs, they are comfortable playing a very tough game. Some goal scorers tend to disappear in the playoffs & ugly goals become the norm by the pluggers.

I just think guys like Pageau, Da Costa etc... will get killed in the NHL playoffs when the intensity turns up a few notches. I think a guy like Schneider or Grant have a better shot at playing in the NHL than our smaller prospects. IMO Prince has the best chance but it's an outside chance. How many here still think Petersson has a chance to play in Ottawa? I would bet it's a lot less than this past summer even. How many here still think Da Costa will play in Ottawa? Again, I bet it's less people than last yr since Zibanejad has already passed him. Also keep in mind that the guys ahead of Pageau & Da Costa at centre are just as young. I think most teams will take size & skill over guys who may be a little more skilled but much smaller unless the guy turns into St Louis or Crosby & their are very few of those.
Yea, guys like Briere, Cammalleri and Crosby turn into mincemeat in the playoffs.

What guys ahead of Pageau are just as young? Zibanejad is the only one and he is less than a year older. You're the most biased poster in certain respects in the Sens section.

Old
04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Ouroboros

So we need Nystrom because his dad was tough? We are getting dangerously close "my dad can beat up your dad" here.

Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Yea, guys like Briere, Cammalleri and Crosby turn into mincemeat in the playoffs.

What guys ahead of Pageau are just as young? Zibanejad is the only one and he is less than a year older. You're the most biased poster in certain respects in the Sens section.
Isn't Turris, Smith & JOB fairly young too? Is Pageau or Da Costa going to replace any of those guys any time soon? I think so but maybe some people do. Is Pageau going to be as good as those guys you mention? Geez, I hope so.

Old
04-04-2013, 06:03 AM
R2010

Just noticed Ceci and Noesen are playing each other in the next series. So one of those two will be available for some AHL games and the AHL playoffs.

Hopefully its Ceci - get him there with Richardson for a full playoffs! Maybe he can do his best Cowen impression.

Puempel is playing against London so I am not too optimistic about their chances.

It will be a case where two weeks from now Puempel & Ceci/Noesen are in BNG in time for the last three games of the year (19,20,21).

Old
04-04-2013, 08:55 AM
starling

Random post. Just looked at Ottawa and Toronto prospects rankings on HF. Man, does our group suck.
Apparently 19 Ottawa forward prospects have "D" (unlikely) probability of reaching potential. While Toronto has only 1 such forward, all others are B and C.
We should fire Murray immediately and hire Burke ASAP while he is still available.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
One Turris God
Gersei Chongar

Quote:
Random post. Just looked at Ottawa and Toronto prospects rankings on HF. Man, does our group suck.
Apparently 19 Ottawa forward prospects have "D" (unlikely) probability of reaching potential. While Toronto has only 1 such forward, all others are B and C.
We should fire Murray immediately and hire Burke ASAP while he is still available.
It's easier to reach your potential if you're a hard, truculent, pugnacious player with a max potential of a 3rd liner.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Didn't check lately but Rangers and Habs writers are/were homers too... but yeah, for the Leafs it's notarious

Closed Thread