HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread: Part X Rated Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Connolly is garbage. He is a soft injury prone player who brings nothing to our top 6. And if he doesn't play in your top 6 than he isn't good enough defensively or gritty enough to play in your bottom 6. EDM is not the place for him.

The Leafs who are desperate for good centre options deemed Connolly expendable. Yet you guys want him in EDM? Seriously?

Wow I can't believe I just read that.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@DarrenDreger: For clarification, the Leafs don't intend on buying out Connolly. If he clears he will very likely be assigned to the Marlies. #TSN

Old
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
jsho

Dreger just tweeted that the Leafs don't intend on buying out Connolly if he clears waivers. They will be assigning him to the Marlies if he does.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
You doubt he is better or you doubt that they would think he is better?

I think it's pretty clear management and our fan base are on a different wave length so just curious.
Well, both. I don't think the Oilers would have any interest in Karlsson, and I don't think they should. He's just not really any good, from what I can tell.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

got bored earlier in the week and posted on the Flames board a Hall for Iginla trade--they turned it down

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Well, both. I don't think the Oilers would have any interest in Karlsson, and I don't think they should. He's just not really any good, from what I can tell.
I kinda agree, which is telling of what I have thought of Danis' game so far this year.

I at least think Karlsson is an NHLer, albeit a backup, but Danis is not even on that level right now.

I'm sure Khabi won't be long and Danis may never even see the ice, but wouldn't mind them doing something if they know otherwise and it will be a while before he is ready to go.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
My understanding is you only have 1 waiver priority claim. After that you can still claim a player but the other team get dibs first. I could be wrong but i seem to recall that being an issue in the past with waivers (although the CBA may have changed that).
I don't think the waivers process changed much in the new CBA.

For example, the Islanders (4th on the list) claimed Joe Finley from Buffalo the other day. The next day, when they claimed Thomas Hickey, they were still 4th behind Columbus, Edmonton and Montreal.

The only thing that changes the order is the standings.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Paajarvi is going to the AHL as it stands now....

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Hemsky - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Eager - Belanger - Petrell

Hordichuk, Jones (IR)

Our depth chart looks something like this at the moment. Connolly fills a role similar to that of Gagner. He can pass as a third liner as well, but who does he displace?

No one outside of Hartikainen is waiver exempt.
What happens if someone is injured? Is Hartikainen going to be a good fit with Smyth and Horcoff, who's going to be the primary puck carrier? Is Hartikainen not an upgrade on Eager or Petrell on the 4th? I just see this as an opportunity to potentially improve the bottom 6 immensely and add insirance for the top 6. Again in a shortned season with around 4 games a week injuries are going to be an issue i think.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Connolly on waivers just blows the argument out of the water about not having anyone as good as Horcoff if the Oilers bought out Horcoff now.

Connolly is just as good/bad as Horcoff in essentially every category plus he's on a cheaper cap hit at $4 million AND his contract ends at the end of this season.

Great opportunity to jettison Horcoff and move on.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:

For example, the Islanders (4th on the list) claimed Joe Finley from Buffalo the other day. The next day, when they claimed Thomas Hickey, they were still 4th behind Columbus, Edmonton and Montreal.

This is my understanding as well.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
oilers4life5

Any interest in the flames backups while Habby is hurt? Keep Yann in the minors.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
What happens if someone is injured? Is Hartikainen going to be a good fit with Smyth and Horcoff, who's going to be the primary puck carrier? Is Hartikainen not an upgrade on Eager or Petrell on the 4th? I just see this as an opportunity to potentially improve the bottom 6 immensely and add insirance for the top 6. Again in a shortned season with around 4 games a week injuries are going to be an issue i think.
If injuries occur you call up Paajarvi, call up Lander, call up Vandevelde, call up Arcobello - guys that have earned it. You fill injuries with a guy that can play the role.

Hartikainen fits securely with Smyth/Horcoff, and it's a solid role for a guy who can develop into a Smyth-like player. He's also played his ass off in the AHL this year. When you bring in Connolly at 4.75M you have to play him. Jones returns and there's two fewer spots available on the active roster for guys like Hartikainen.

The reasoning for us to not bring him in to usurp a roster spot is very similar to why Connolly was waived in the first place. Is he better than Mike Brown? Leo Komorov? Yeah probably. But he sure as hell can't do their jobs better than them.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Connolly on waivers just blows the argument out of the water about not having anyone as good as Horcoff if the Oilers bought out Horcoff now.

Connolly is just as good/bad as Horcoff in essentially every category plus he's on a cheaper cap hit at $4 million AND his contract ends at the end of this season.

except for the part where connolly hasnt played a full season ever, so if you dump horcoff for connelly you better have someone else to play the 60% of the games he will miss, at that point you have to argue "do we pay this guy to suck for 40% of the games and then fill his spot with someone who isnt ready or do we keep the guy who we at least know can do the job and has been here and knows the system/team" the grass isnt always greener

Old
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Any interest in the flames backups while Habby is hurt? Keep Yann in the minors.
I'd have more interest in giving Olivier Roy a cup of coffee than adding another goalie. At least if that happens, we get to see some Bunz in the A.

The Oilers are very confident in what Dubnyk can do this year.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:27 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:

haven't watched many Leafs games, huh?

Old
01-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

My best guess on Connolly is the Nucks will Claim/sign him, because they are desperate.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
haven't watched many Leafs games, huh?
I've watched some Leafs games recently (not many admittedly) but I've sure in the hell watched lots of Horcoff... enough to know if the Oilers had a lineup of RNH/Gagner/Connolly/Belanger, there would be zero disadvantage to having RNH/Gagner/Horcoff/Belanger.

I also realize that the Oilers won't buy out Horcoff before the season starts so this is all just bs/hypothetical conversations we are having... but that's what 99% of conversations on the hfboards concerning potential trades are like anyway.

Put it this way... I'll bet that Connolly puts up more points and a better +/- than Horcoff this season... if not, the difference would be negligible.

My point is that Horcoff is mediocre and easily replaceable (Connolly being just one option) and it's hard to argue that when you look at the big picture from an unbiased viewpoint.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:

Put it this way... I'll bet that Connolly puts up more points and a better +/- than Horcoff this season... if not, the difference would be negligible.

My point is that Horcoff is mediocre and easily replaceable (Connolly being just one option) and it's hard to argue that when you look at the big picture from an unbiased viewpoint.
Firstly, I'll bet Adam McQuaid will put up a better +/- than Smid this season. +/- is a bad stat.

Secondly, I agree with you. Horcoff is mediocre at best. But Connolly is ****ing jobber. He's a massive jabroni and shockingly a downgrade for this squad. As much as I hate Horcoff, he brings more to this team than Connolly would. Especially in the durability area. His defensive contribution is nil or minimal, and he's not as good offensively to get more out of guys like Smyth and Harti than Horcoff.

01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
topchowda

Quote:

who plays 3rd line center, who plays the tough minutes?

Old
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

My thoughts, I'd offer Redden 1 year 1 Million contract. Waive Potter claim H. Karlsson.

A motivated Redden may be worth the gamble. Worth risking Potter/Peckham I think. Worst case he sucks and we waive him and Peckham comes off IR.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:

hmmm. perhaps i remember incorrectly. I never thought that untill last year though, i'm sure somebody pointed it out to me. You usually seem on the ball and since i never did think that rule existed until recently i'm going to have to think you're correct. The example however i believe is still possible even if the rule did exist as NYI would still have the right to claim players they just would lose priority in doing so. But i suppose you are arguing the order didn't change. Is there a place where the NHL publishes the order?

Old
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
My best guess on Connolly is the Nucks will Claim/sign him, because they are desperate.
Same here. He's not a bad fit either. They can make do with him playing between Higgins and Hansen

Old
01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

https://twitter.com/critchlow11/stat...38900279554048.

Didn't know where to put this retweet from Nail Yakpov

Old
01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Multiple teams considering options on both. LA, STL, TOR, FLA among those kicking tires on Redden, ANA and CAR among those considering Gomez. Oilers not on list

Old
01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Santorelli has been in the NHL the last 2 years has he not?
Yes he has, he had 40 points 2 years ago but only 11 points last season

Closed Thread