HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a possible set of 1st and 2nd lines

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
a possible set of 1st and 2nd lines

with the uncertainty surrounding comrie's return to the oilers, mact is planning his lines without him. I like the smyth at centre experiment as it solves the ago-old lack of size issue (smyth and horcoff are both 6'1"). It appears that he has developed a chemistry with isbister so it make sense to keep them together. The obvious winger is hemsky but how about this?

isbister - smyth - york
devo - horcoff - hemsky

the reason for this proposal is that it gives us a veteran number one line to eat up the minutes. Without isbister performing, we are in a lot of trouble and this gives him every opportunity to succeed. York is excellent defensively so that may make up for smyth's learning curve at centre.

I am hoping that devo and hemsky can develop some chemistry. Both are czechs and devo's best year was with two other czechs in new york. It makes sense for them to be together.

The other lines would feature a rita / reasoner and a torres / laraque pairing with a third player.

Old
09-22-2003, 04:09 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

I think you're onto something. I like the first 2 lines.

although I would like to see the 3rd and 4th lines like this:

Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Torres-Stoll-Rita
Laraque - the 13th forward, PP time and out there when things get rough.

but ya gotta make room for Chimera somewhere.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Tidus

I really don't understand why MacT has seperated the amazing Smyth-Hemsky combo already. They finished the season very strong and seemed to show some chemistry, so why we haven't seen a line of Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky is beyond me.

Old
09-22-2003, 06:23 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Have York play center, not Smyth. i mean, MacTavish could probably beat Smyth in faceoffs while having one hand tied behind his back and having a .025% blood alcohol level.

Old
09-22-2003, 07:20 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I'm thinking of something more like this:

Isbister - Smyth - Hemsky
York - Horcoff - Dvorak

The chemistry between Smyth and Hemsky are already there, as we have seen from late last season. Smyth has recently developed some chemistry with Isbister.
I think a York, Horcoff, Dvorak line could give defense fits with their speed.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:27 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1

York - Horcoff - Dvorak

The chemistry between Smyth and Hemsky are already there, as we have seen from late last season. Smyth has recently developed some chemistry with Isbister.

I like this much better. Horc and York played well together in the playoffs. Remember that brilliant spinorama feed from the boards by York to a flying Horc in the middle? He potted that one like a plant.
here's a link to help you remember.

Game 6

Then we can keep Rita with Reasoner and put either Moreau or Chimmer on that line depending on if Chimmer is dealt or not

Old
09-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Oiltown16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
I really don't understand why MacT has seperated the amazing Smyth-Hemsky combo already. They finished the season very strong and seemed to show some chemistry, so why we haven't seen a line of Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky is beyond me.
Look at those 3...not exactly great defensively. With York you get a good defensive winger for those two. Then Horcoff is good defensively for Dvo and Hemsky.

Isbister-Smyth-York
Dvo-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Rita-Chimera-Laraque
ex. Torres

Moreau traded soon Torres takes his place.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:38 AM
Mr Sakich

i like those lines. can chimera play centre?

IMO, hemsky and devo should get some time to try and gel. It is very common for eauro's to play better with fellow countymen.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:45 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
i like those lines. can chimera play centre?

IMO, hemsky and devo should get some time to try and gel. It is very common for eauro's to play better with fellow countymen.
Chimmer's done it before, but not since junior I think.

Problem with Hemsky and Dvo on the same line is the obvious: They're both right handed RW's. Unless Dvo can play center or left, I don't see them fitting unless they're on the same PP unit.

Old
09-22-2003, 11:47 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltown16
Look at those 3...not exactly great defensively. With York you get a good defensive winger for those two. Then Horcoff is good defensively for Dvo and Hemsky.

Isbister-Smyth-York
Dvo-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Rita-Chimera-Laraque
ex. Torres

Moreau traded soon Torres takes his place.
Hmmm, these aren't to my liking. Hemsky and Smyth have too much chemistry together. I think the first line of Izzy - Smyth - Hemsky will be fine defensively simply by keeping the play in the offensive end.

Dvo-Horc - York will be a great line defensively (all 3 are GREAT 2 way players) and they will chip in with plenty of goals too.

Also Rita and Reasoner have been playing great together too. I don't want to break them up either.

Just my thoughts

Old
09-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Chimmer's done it before, but not since junior I think.

Problem with Hemsky and Dvo on the same line is the obvious: They're both right handed RW's. Unless Dvo can play center or left, I don't see them fitting unless they're on the same PP unit.
MacT already stated that he doesn't want to use Chimera at center. The real issue on this team is on LW. Assuming Comrie signs or is dealt for another bigger center, that makes Smyth, York (or center), Isbister, Chimera, Moreau, Rita and Torres as LW. That's why it makes sense, for the time being, to have Smyth in that role.

I completely agree with the Hemsky - Smyth combo. Pisani is a 3rd liner at best, but once again the MacT penchant for going with try-hards as opposed to talent rears it's head. Hemsky doesn't need to be eased in anymore, he proved he's ready for prime time at the end of last season. He and Smyth are the closest thing to a one-two punch we have.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:12 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1

York - Horcoff - Dvorak

I like these top two lines, I'd maybe make the overall fwd lineup like this...

York - Horcoff - Dvorak
Chimera - Reasoner - Rita
Moreau - Wright - Pisani/Laraque
extra: Torres

This keeps the top-end talent in the top-six, and gives a good mix in the bottom six. I think the Chimmer-Reasoner-Rita line could pot a few and a line of Moreau-Wright-Largaque would be a good energy line, and Pisani could draw in when a little extra defensive responsibility is required.

If the LW situation is resolved through a trade, then Torres would draw in, and Stoll could replace Wright as 4th line centre.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:43 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
IMO once Comrie is traded or Signed Moreau is Traded and Pisani will be the odd man out. heres my lines with Comrie

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky

York-Comrie-Dvorak (this line looks a little small though)

Chimera-Reasoner-Rita

Torres-Horcoff-Larauqe

ext.Pisani Wright

This is the way i see it coming down.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:49 PM
FacelessButcher

reasoner and moreau showed chemistry last year too i don't see why he would seperate them. I'm guessing MacT's golden lines are

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
York-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Rita
????-??????-Laraque

I think he will wait till near the end of camp to decide the last two between Torres,Stoll,Wright,Chimera,and Pisani for our energy/grinder line. Not sure if Laraque will be healed for season opener and whether or not Comrie will be signed or traded which could change the lines a lot.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:50 PM
fedabiblio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
IMO once Comrie is traded or Signed Moreau is Traded and Pisani will be the odd man out. heres my lines with Comrie

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky

York-Comrie-Dvorak (this line looks a little small though)

Chimera-Reasoner-Rita

Torres-Horcoff-Larauqe

ext.Pisani Wright

This is the way i see it coming down.
Yep. Love to see these lines if Moreau is traded. The only downfall is the loss of Moreau's defensive presence on the third line. But methinks Chimmer's extra offense would compensate, as well he would definitely improve defensively.

Old
09-22-2003, 12:54 PM
creative giant*

I like York at centre but that makes us smaller down the middle.
hemsky-smyth-dvorak that line could do some serious damage

Old
09-22-2003, 12:58 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
how can poeple break up the RPM line is beyond me, they played so great late in the season and in the playoffs.

there was a reason for his one-way 3 year contract, Pisani earned his spot on this team.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:08 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
there was a reason for his one-way 3 year contract, Pisani earned his spot on this team.
And I'm still wondering why they gave him such a sweet deal for a 35 game stint.

Cross got a long deal too that some people didn't like around here, but at least he was a 9 year NHL vet.

No problem having Pisani on the team, but why give him a 3 year deal vs. a 1 or even 2 year? It's not like he had the Oilers over a barrel...

Geez, where did THAT come from?

Old
09-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Vyse64
N64

Quote:
And I'm still wondering why they gave him such a sweet deal for a 35 game stint.

Cross got a long deal too that some people didn't like around here, but at least he was a 9 year NHL vet.

No problem having Pisani on the team, but why give him a 3 year deal vs. a 1 or even 2 year? It's not like he had the Oilers over a barrel...

wasn't Pisani an UFA? and the oilers ain't exactly strong for depth on RW

Old
09-22-2003, 01:15 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:

I totally agree, i was a little miffed about both of those contracts, especially pisani's in light of the overwhelming number of forwards we have competing for spots this season.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:16 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
how can poeple break up the RPM line is beyond me, they played so great late in the season and in the playoffs.

Just because Pisani signed a contract does not mean he's in and the same go's with about most of the team the oilers are going to put there best line up out there and if that does not include Pisani Torres or Rita so be it what ever gives us the best oppertunity to win.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Mr Sakich

i think they will keep pisani as this year's version of swanson or cleary. He will always be good enough for 4th line / bench warmer and he signed for cheap.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:36 PM
Master Lok

I think you're all undervaluing Pisani. If he was meant to be this year's Swanson, Lowe would not have signed him to a three year contract. Lowe clearly has seen signs that Pisani could play a bigger, more offensive role and he has said as much in interviews.

This is what I think the lines will be:

Isbister - Smyth - Dvorak
York - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau / Rita - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres / Chimera - Stoll - Laraques

Although I can certainly see Stoll being sent down to TO and the Oilers having to experiment and see if anyone else can play 4th line centre. Rita will get more opportunities to develop chemistry with a centre, perhaps Reasoner and could be the reason why Moreau gets traded.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Vyse64
N64

can anyone answer this, can Jamie Wright play centre?

Old
09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I think you're all undervaluing Pisani. If he was meant to be this year's Swanson, Lowe would not have signed him to a three year contract. Lowe clearly has seen signs that Pisani could play a bigger, more offensive role and he has said as much in interviews.

This is what I think the lines will be:

Isbister - Smyth - Dvorak
York - Horcoff - Hemsky
Moreau / Rita - Reasoner - Pisani
Torres / Chimera - Stoll - Laraques

Although I can certainly see Stoll being sent down to TO and the Oilers having to experiment and see if anyone else can play 4th line centre. Rita will get more opportunities to develop chemistry with a centre, perhaps Reasoner and could be the reason why Moreau gets traded.
IMO you have pretty much nailed it. We might also see Hemsky up with Smyth and Isbister and Dvorak with Horcoff and York but York and Dvorak really didn't look good together at camp. Don't know why. They played well as individuals but just didn't click together.

And those are the top 14 to start the season unless Mike stops pouting.

Closed Thread