HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Maple Leafs waive Tim Connolly

Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
No sense. We are not up against the cap and he has only this year. Rather swing a deal with another team to take a bad contract with a bonus attached and buy that out.
That is actually not a bad idea.....

problem is the only deals bad enough to be worth anything to dump would be Redden and Gomez, both of whom are part of organizations that are among the wealthiest and wont struggle to buy them out. There is also DiPietro but he spends so much time on the IR anyway i doubt its a hindrance.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Not great?
Probably the weakest group of centers in the NHL.
It was the weakest group before they waived Connolly.

Commander Clueless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Nash

I'm guessing Nonis is hoping some team will pick him up before going the route if a salary retention trade. There really is no free agents for teams to grab right now. Fringe guys that might usually be available before a season signed to play in other leagues during the lockout and only aging vets remain. I still think there are zero takers on him at close to $5 million a year. The Leafs will have to eat at least half his salary to send him to another team.

Losing LAC and going with youth does not put Toronto in a Tank Nation situation, as some have suggested. They will be a better team without those players.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Don't get this at all. He is gone next season so why use a buyout on him? Who is available out there that could they could trade for?

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

@mirtle: Carlyle says Connolly didn't out play people they have kept. "We've got to get to 23 by tomorrow."
@mirtle: Carlyle said he's only one vote, but a big vote, in decisions like getting rid of Lombardi and Connolly.

@mirtle: Carlyle on Kadri: "He's proven he has NHL skills... He's been one of our strongest players at camp... We'd be crazy not to recognize that."

Old
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Don't get this at all. He is gone next season so why use a buyout on him? Who is available out there that could they could trade for?
They cant buy him out.... theyre dumping him for a roster spot

Old
01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Carlyle has already made it clear that he plans on using McClement in the same way he used Phalsson in Anaheim. Expect 15-20 minutes of line matching against the opposing teams top line. Those may in fact be the lines but McClement will be getting 3rd line minutes. I choose JVR instead of MacArthur because hed provide offence on a defensive line and is much more suited for a shutdown line.
I don't think they put their expensive, shiny new toy on the 3rd line. I don't think MacArthur is much, if any better defensively than JVR. That lines a lock, IMO.

I could have sworn Carlyle put labels on how he wanted each line, I think McClement lines up with a checking role(4th) rather than on a sheltered scoring line(3rd). Like you said McClement's line might get just as many minutes, or he eats about 4 minutes a night on PK.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
boredmale

If they want to get rid of Connolly they would be better putting him on call up waiver(ie 1/2 price) then a Compliance buyout

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
@mirtle: Carlyle says Connolly didn't out play people they have kept. "We've got to get to 23 by tomorrow."
@mirtle: Carlyle said he's only one vote, but a big vote, in decisions like getting rid of Lombardi and Connolly.

@mirtle: Carlyle on Kadri: "He's proven he has NHL skills... He's been one of our strongest players at camp... We'd be crazy not to recognize that."
About time KADRI!!!

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Zonk

Who predicted a week ago that Colton Orr would make the Leafs and Connelly and Lombardi would not?

Zonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
I don't think they put their expensive, shiny new toy on the 3rd line. I don't think MacArthur is much, if any better defensively than JVR. That lines a lock, IMO.

I could have sworn Carlyle put labels on how he wanted each line, I think McClement lines up with a checking role(4th) rather than on a sheltered scoring line(3rd). Like you said McClement's line might get just as many minutes, or he eats about 4 minutes a night on PK.
Again, your putting too much merit in where the lines are place. If a McClement/JVR line is playing 15-20 minutes a night, thats 2nd (sometimes 1st) line minutes. Its not a reduced role by any means, just where he fits best. Would you rather him on a scoring line that plays less? And the shinny new toy thing means nothing, he needs to earn his spot.

Old
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
look up cialdini committment and consistency.
I've read that book in class

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
bustaheims

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If they want to get rid of Connolly they would be better putting him on call up waiver(ie 1/2 price) then a Compliance buyout
Those don't exist anymore.

bustaheims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Who predicted a week ago that Colton Orr would make the Leafs and Connelly and Lombardi would not?
Well it is Carlyle...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Cant use a compliance buyout on someone not signed past this year

Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1857
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
We're not buying him out. He was just outplayed at camp and thus waived.

He will either be traded or assigned to the Marlies, simple as that.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Well it is Carlyle...
And your point is? lol

doorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
I would hope that this will remove comments that's "he's regressing on a daily basis" or "looking more and more like a bust" etc. Ha, who am I kidding. Carlyle said yesterday "that his second and third periods were not as good as the first, obviously". For context, he scored 3 goals in the first during the scrimmage.

It was a good signing at the time to hope he could fit on the top line. He couldn't, so it's time to move on.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:

Finally like what's coming out of leaf land !

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
belair

vCash: 334
Quote:
If he clears waivers he'll be in the AHL for the remainder of the season barring injuries on the Leafs. Buying him out would serve no purpose as the Leafs would retain his $4.5M caphit (minus 900,000) anyways.

As it has already been stated, the re-entry waiver process was removed in the new CBA.

Still strange though. Nonis is really showing that he and Burke were not on the same page.

But I see a team lacking centre depth taking a chance him.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

What a star-crossed player Connolly has been. Just a wretched combination of injuries and indifferant play. It's a shame because he's so skilled and when he's on is as fun a player to watch as there is in the league. He'll probably end up with among the quietest 500+ point career the NHL has even seen.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Still strange though. Nonis is really showing that he and Burke were not on the same page.
Not at all. Player signed a short term contract. Player did not play up to contract. Coach suggested to not retain said player near the end of camp. Player placed on waivers by GM.

GM could be Nonis or Burke, more than likely the same would have happened. Hard to make moves during a lockout or without getting a chance to evaluate the player in camp.

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
belair

vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
Not at all. Player signed a short term contract. Player did not play up to contract. Coach suggested to not retain said player near the end of camp. Player placed on waivers by GM.

GM could be Nonis or Burke, more than likely the same would have happened. Hard to make moves during a lockout or without getting a chance to evaluate the player in camp.
The decision to have Kadri over Connoly is a Carlyle decision. But burying a serviceable player in the minors is the GM's choice to make. And I just don't see Burke being the one making it. It was his contract he gave out 1 year ago and he's never been the guy to step up to the plate and admit his errors. Especially that swiftly.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
The Leafs don't really have any bad contracts where term and caphit becomes a handicap for the team. Is Connolly serviceable at his caphit? No, he's not but that's not why he's being waived. He's being waived because there are younger, cheaper options that may lack experience but removing him from the roster gives the youth the opportunity to actually to gain that experience they currently lack. It's not like the team has many options for buyouts and is wasting one here and maybe because the team isn't in a position where they have bad contracts to sort through, they're able to waive Connolly and give him the opportunity to play in the NHL rather than bury him in the minors - which by the way, he has a modified NTC so it's possible that it's not even at the discretion of the organization to demote him without his permission.
Call me crazy - but the Leafs are "on the hook" for one more year after this oen to Komisarek with a $4.5M cap hit. I think it's at least possible that depending on his performance this year they'd want to buy him out in the off-season.

If you read my post - my point is that there is ZERO advantage to amnesty buying out Connelly. NONE. There would actually be a cap detriment, because the Leafs get a credit of $900K against MC's salary if he's playing in another pro-league. And a NTC will not stop him getting assigned to the minors. A NMC would, but since he's only got a NTC - that doesn't stop demotion to the AHL.

I agree 100% that this is just a roster clearing move. My point is that this is not a prelude to a Gomez/Redden type amnesty buy-out.

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 01-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 1093
Connolly waived to make room for Gomez e5

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote