HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The only thing worse than the refs last night was the Ice at Rexall

Old
01-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
The only thing worse than the refs last night was the Ice at Rexall

Why is no one in the media mentioning this? It is atrocious. Watch any of the power plays in the second half of each period and it's no wonder no one was scoring. The puck would skip and jump while being simply carried across the ice.

Something has to be done in the next three years we cannot let the ice sit like this till the new rink is done.

I know an ice plant upgrade is pricey, but how can we realistically not do anything about it. This team is built on puck possession, and with this low quality ice we have a home ice disadvantage.

We have Horcoff on record mentioning how the ice has been getting progressively worse each year. Problem with that is he said it around four years ago.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Why is no one in the media mentioning this? It is atrocious. Watch any of the power plays in the second half of each period and it's no wonder no one was scoring. The puck would skip and jump while being simply carried across the ice.

Something has to be done in the next three years we cannot let the ice sit like this till the new rink is done.
wonder why...
Werent people all raving over how good the ice is in EDM once the lockout was over..
I remember J.Schultz, Ebs, RNH etc all saying how much better it is compared to ice in AHL rinks

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
wonder why...
Werent people all raving over how good the ice is in EDM once the lockout was over..
I remember J.Schultz, Ebs, RNH etc all saying how much better it is compared to ice in AHL rinks
I don't know if someone messed up the temperatures last night, but it was horrible.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
shogun99

I'm going to predict that the Oilers will get new ice on the opening of the downtown arena.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
BowDangles

Would it have anything to do with the Hip being in town the night before? So the ice was prob made yesterday morning...

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Unless Rexall is unique, they don't make new ice every time another non-hockey event occurs. They just cover the ice sheet with thick pads.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Oprah, The Hip, two hockey games smashed in between.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:48 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
I've noticed it in the other games I've watched too, but yeah the ice at Rexall was very, very choppy.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
worraps
Acceptance

It's not as good as it once was but it's still better than most surfaces in the league. I imagine that is mostly due to the lack of heat and humidity in our lovely city.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Eberle missed two tap ins at the side of the net because of the ice. Whitney lost the puck at the blue line, same thing, puck just hopped over his blade. Something has to be done.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:20 PM
alphahelix

You'd think that in our latitude they could just use geothermal cooling.

Just dig down to the permafrost.

In all seriousness, even if they don't want to replace the ice plant at this point, they should still be looking into any and all stop gap measures to get some improvement. It has been bad the last few years.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:29 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Blame The Tragically Hip

We're probably going to have the same problems in a little over a week when Muse and Eric Church are in town.

The ice will be taken out and remade after Monster Jam on February 9th and 10th though.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Digger12

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't the ice plant replaced just a few years ago? I could've sworn that Gregor mentioned this recently.

And the ice quality going downhill isn't a recent event, I remember complaints about the ice not being as good as it once was even before the 2004 lockout. In fact, Cal Nichols at the time said that they were only going to replace the ice plant if the owners could get a CBA deal that would make it feasible for the EIG to continue owning the Oilers.

Here we are 9 years later, and we're still talking about this mediocre/poor ice.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Would it have anything to do with the Hip being in town the night before? So the ice was prob made yesterday morning...
As mentioned they don't remake the ice any time they have a non hockey event. The ice gets remade twice a year I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post

In all seriousness, even if they don't want to replace the ice plant at this point, they should still be looking into any and all stop gap measures to get some improvement. It has been bad the last few years.
You don't think they are doing all they can within reasonable costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't the ice plant replaced just a few years ago? I could've sworn that Gregor mentioned this recently.

And the ice quality going downhill isn't a recent event, I remember complaints about the ice not being as good as it once was even before the 2004 lockout. In fact, Cal Nichols at the time said that they were only going to replace the ice plant if the owners could get a CBA deal that would make it feasible for the EIG to continue owning the Oilers.

Here we are 9 years later, and we're still talking about this mediocre/poor ice.
No it was not replaced. And its still one of the best surfaces in the league. Just not as good as it once was when it was the best ice anywhere.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
As mentioned they don't remake the ice any time they have a non hockey event. The ice gets remade twice a year I believe.
I'm going to assume that one of those two times is when the CFR rolls into town?

From the CFR FAQ:

http://www.cfr.ca/about-us/faq

Quote:
What happens to the hockey ice?

The ice plant is turned off, allowing the concrete slab to warm up and then the ice starts to melt. As the ice melts it is broken up and moved into a pit. Next, 500 cubic yards of dirt is brought in. The dirt is packed down to create a foundation, then a top layer of loose dirt is worked in until the ideal texture is formed.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:29 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Gregor and company talked about it yesterday, we need a new ice plant if there is going to be a lot more hockey played in Rexall.

The ice in Rexall has gotten worse every year, so it being bad after a concert shouldn't be a shock.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Digger12

This article from 2 years ago puts the ice at that time as "middle of the pack":

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...a-43816cbd6a30

Old
01-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

I know an ice plant upgrade is pricey, but how can we realistically not do anything about it. This team is built on puck possession, and with this low quality ice we have a home ice disadvantage.

We have Horcoff on record mentioning how the ice has been getting progressively worse each year. Problem with that is he said it around four years ago.
I'm not sure if you are under the impression that they just buy a new ice plant and bolt it in. To change the iceplant means shutting Rexall down. They have to jackhammer up all the concrete under the surface and remove the old cooling pipes. Then they have lay new pipes in new concrete, then of course replace the machinery required. I believe they have already replaced much of the machinery, but the real issue is with the cooling system under the concrete.

So which season would you like to sacrifice all or half of our home games? This is the reason it has not been done, and it's a big part of the reason they were pushing for an new arena.

Alawishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:55 PM
caperguy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Eberle missed two tap ins at the side of the net because of the ice. Whitney lost the puck at the blue line, same thing, puck just hopped over his blade. Something has to be done.
Are you joking?That's just hockey.

caperguy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawishis View Post
I'm not sure if you are under the impression that they just buy a new ice plant and bolt it in. To change the iceplant means shutting Rexall down. They have to jackhammer up all the concrete under the surface and remove the old cooling pipes. Then they have lay new pipes in new concrete, then of course replace the machinery required. I believe they have already replaced much of the machinery, but the real issue is with the cooling system under the concrete.

So which season would you like to sacrifice all or half of our home games? This is the reason it has not been done, and it's a big part of the reason they were pushing for an new arena.
It hasn't been done because there is talk of building a new arena, there is no point in spending. You can make the time to do it, but you have to have a reason to spend that type of coin.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:00 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post

FYI: https://www.ec.gc.ca/api-ipy/default...n&n=C738CF39-1

phaedrusDH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post
Oprah, The Hip, two hockey games smashed in between.
The two hockey games smashed in between Oprah's hips.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
fysloc

Not sure if you guys know, but when I talked to the ice maker guy when I had a chance to go to center ice to shoot a puck for a small event after an oil kings game, he said that rexall place ice surface is considered the league standard. As bad as it is from a fan perspective, it is the standard set across the entire league, so other arenas have to be equal or better. By that logic, Rexall should be on the lower pack or middle of ice surfaces.

Then he talked about how would people who weren't on the ice know that the ice is bad.

Also, bouncing pucks on a seeemingly smooth surface is due to ruts created from skates. Those don't get fixed until after the period, or the ref sees a big hole in the ice and fix it himself.

As an example, take Eberle's bouncy puck recieve pass from cross crease. Those are one of the worst ice areas due to goalie skates and bunch of snow making for a rough surface. Ofcourse the puck is going to bounce at some point. Physics.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote