HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

NHL GameCentre in TO?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
  #1
craiggerz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
NHL GameCentre in TO?

I'm considering NHL GameCentre as I don't have cable tv, but I came across this link:

http://thereckoner.com/?p=198

Now I'm concerned, could anyone tell me if his complaints are true? I should get most of the Sens games in TO right since they are blacked out? What about CBC Sens games on Saturday nights when local CBC carries the Leaf games?

Thanks in advance.

craiggerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
  #2
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,666
vCash: 500
Completely accurate.

In Toronto, you're not likely to get about a third of the Sens' games. Anything on CBC or TSN is definitely blacked out.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:19 AM
  #3
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 14,602
vCash: 500
CBC streams the out of market games for you, and if you want to check out what's blacked out, you can go to the gamecentre website and type in your postal code, and it will tell you what teams are blacked out.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:24 AM
  #4
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
You just need a VPN service.
I'm also in TO - I use unblock-us.com which is an extra $5/month. Super easy to set up and it makes you seem like you are in the states so nothing is blocked out.

Without it every game locally available through TSN, TSN2, CBC or Sportsnet is blacked out

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:57 AM
  #5
Bazel5
Registered User
 
Bazel5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
I'm in the same boat as the OP (Ottawa fan in Toronto). National CBC games are streamed so that blackout for those games won't be an issue for me.

But does anyone know how often TSN (in Toronto) broadcasts Ottawa games? Does this ever happens? Or does the blackout apply for all TSN Ottawa broadcasted games in Ontario?

Bazel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
  #6
craiggerz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
You just need a VPN service.
I'm also in TO - I use unblock-us.com which is an extra $5/month. Super easy to set up and it makes you seem like you are in the states so nothing is blocked out.

Without it every game locally available through TSN, TSN2, CBC or Sportsnet is blacked out
Do you know if HotSpotShield works? I'm able to get that on my phone so it would be handy.

So CBC/TSN games are not blacked out if I'm VPNing from the States? If so it seems like this would work out perfectly.

craiggerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  #7
Caeldan
Registered User
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,202
vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazel5 View Post
I'm in the same boat as the OP (Ottawa fan in Toronto). National CBC games are streamed so that blackout for those games won't be an issue for me.

But does anyone know how often TSN (in Toronto) broadcasts Ottawa games? Does this ever happens? Or does the blackout apply for all TSN Ottawa broadcasted games in Ontario?
We should be able to get roughly 34 games for Ottawa via GCL (as that's how many Sportsnet has rights for). The only thing I'm not sure on is the overlaps between SNET, RDS and CBC in some instances.

Basically if its listed as having TSN or CBC or RDS as a rightsholder, don't expect to get it on GCL.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
  #8
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggerz View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Do you know if HotSpotShield works? I'm able to get that on my phone so it would be handy.

So CBC/TSN games are not blacked out if I'm VPNing from the States? If so it seems like this would work out perfectly.
I didn't think it works, but I haven't tried for a couple of years, so worth another try?

You are correct about VPN's from the US though. I use unblock-us as well, and that works great.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
  #9
Bazel5
Registered User
 
Bazel5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
We should be able to get roughly 34 games for Ottawa via GCL (as that's how many Sportsnet has rights for). The only thing I'm not sure on is the overlaps between SNET, RDS and CBC in some instances.

Basically if its listed as having TSN or CBC or RDS as a rightsholder, don't expect to get it on GCL.
ok thanks for the reply. I was just doubtful that there would be any Ottawa games being broadcasted in Leafs nation besides on CBC.

Bazel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
  #10
Samsquanch
Creep
 
Samsquanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Big Nickel
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
I posted this on the main board, but sadly no responses.. Maybe someone here might know.


Here is my dilemma. Im a Senators fan living in Sudbury, and Im so confused about the whole blackout situation and how it exactly works.

For the last 3 years, maybe more, I've had eastlink cable (or persona or whatever it was before) and purchase the center ice package/super sports pack. I watch every single Sens game.

BUT, here is the kicker. The Sens games are never listed on the digital guide, I actually have to flip through all of the center ice channels until I find it. Ive called and asked about this, and they tell me the sens are/should be blacked out here?

Every single game is available on an unlisted channel. Usually the same one. Never in HD though on the HD center ice channels, even though the game is being broadcast in HD elsewhere.

Is this A) a cool employee making sure us Sudbury sens fans get the game, B) a terrible customer service rep who mislead me, or C) a terrible cable company who cant fix their mistake, year after year??

And the big question is, if I get game center, will there be any hassle at all with me watching the Senators in Sudbury?? Im sick of not watching the games in HD, and gamecenter might be the answer.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:53 PM
  #11
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsquanch View Post
I posted this on the main board, but sadly no responses.. Maybe someone here might know.


Here is my dilemma. Im a Senators fan living in Sudbury, and Im so confused about the whole blackout situation and how it exactly works.

For the last 3 years, maybe more, I've had eastlink cable (or persona or whatever it was before) and purchase the center ice package/super sports pack. I watch every single Sens game.

BUT, here is the kicker. The Sens games are never listed on the digital guide, I actually have to flip through all of the center ice channels until I find it. Ive called and asked about this, and they tell me the sens are/should be blacked out here?

Every single game is available on an unlisted channel. Usually the same one. Never in HD though on the HD center ice channels, even though the game is being broadcast in HD elsewhere.

Is this A) a cool employee making sure us Sudbury sens fans get the game, B) a terrible customer service rep who mislead me, or C) a terrible cable company who cant fix their mistake, year after year??

And the big question is, if I get game center, will there be any hassle at all with me watching the Senators in Sudbury?? Im sick of not watching the games in HD, and gamecenter might be the answer.
Thats all really random.

But the same thing goes for everywhere - if you get GCL + VPN you will have no problemo, assuming your internet can handle it. I used GCL through apple tv and its awesome quality.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:55 PM
  #12
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggerz View Post
Thanks for the replies.



Do you know if HotSpotShield works? I'm able to get that on my phone so it would be handy.

So CBC/TSN games are not blacked out if I'm VPNing from the States? If so it seems like this would work out perfectly.
I honestly don't know about that hotspotshield question. I didn't have time to look into all the options but I always recommend unblock-us because its so easy to set up and really cheap. I also use it for US Netflix

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:03 PM
  #13
Samsquanch
Creep
 
Samsquanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Big Nickel
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Thats all really random.

But the same thing goes for everywhere - if you get GCL + VPN you will have no problemo, assuming your internet can handle it. I used GCL through apple tv and its awesome quality.
Random doesnt even begin to describe it. ****ING strange/aggravating is a better way to put it. Even though I know it will come on, I get a little bit scared every single time when its 1 minute past and I cant find it. Its pretty funny because I dont even know one other Sens fan up here (who buys the center ice pack) to confirm whether or not its just me, or everyone.

But thanks, I think Im going to try this VPN with gamecenter and see if I cant start breathing a little more easily before games.

Samsquanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:39 PM
  #14
Proust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
You just need a VPN service.
I'm also in TO - I use unblock-us.com which is an extra $5/month. Super easy to set up and it makes you seem like you are in the states so nothing is blocked out.

Without it every game locally available through TSN, TSN2, CBC or Sportsnet is blacked out
Will that site help me get an American Netflix as well?

Can you use it through a PS3?

Thanks!

Proust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
  #15
Lenny the Lynx
Registered User
 
Lenny the Lynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Will that site help me get an American Netflix as well?

Can you use it through a PS3?

Thanks!
Yeah American netflix is why I got it. It's super easy.

And yes you can use ps3 - there's specfic set up instructions for all kinds of items on that site.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.