HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
  #276
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 32,484
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Weird, isn't it? It's as though the organization is treating our blueline last playoffs like a total aberration instead of symptomatic of problems that need to be addressed.

Trading Michalek and shooting for the moon with Suter doesn't really cut it with me as being active enough in trying to solve our problems.
I disagree. Shero was pretty adamant about wanting to get change. I don't think it was really out there in the summer. I agree I'd send Lovejoy out before Strait, but they all really don't matter. We need legit defenders in here. Not PMDs... not potential stars... we need Scuds/Gill type players. I thought Strait/Engo were the only 2 in that style along side Orpik.

But hey... we are where we are. I'd bring Murray over in a heartbeat and pair him w/ Engo. That would be a sick 3rd pairing. Letang-Nisky, Martin-Orpik, Murray-Engo. Boom. That makes me feel good. Inevitably, if Martin doesn't pick it up, then goodbye. Simple as that.

To get back to the point - Shero did sound like he wanted change. I'm not pulling the trigger on *****ing just yet.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  #277
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The Strait is better than Lovejoy thing is based on such a small sample size though. I'd agree that he was better in the playoffs last year but again it's a small sample size. I don't think it matters since I doubt either one they kept will last much longer in this organization anyway.
Yep, plus everyone's looking for good things Strait does when he's out there and Lovejoy clearly suffers from the opposite. If Strait couldn't beat out Lovejoy and Bortuzzo it should tell you all you need to know.

I can tell this is going to be a drum I beat that constantly gets ignored, but some of these same young guys that people say "didn't look at all out of place" last year were some of the same guys that also played like ass against the Isles and I think Ottawa towards the end of the year.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
  #278
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
You people ***** way too much.
I endorse this post.



One thing to remember here is that the Islanders have too many defensemen right now because of injuries. If/when Visnovsky arrives it's likely that 2 of their 3 waiver pick-ups wind right back on waivers...and guess who gets first claim for those guys back on waivers?

Strait may well end up back in WBS by the end of the month.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
  #279
alcanalz
whys and wherefores
 
alcanalz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 193
All the best, Brian!

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:49 PM
  #280
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I endorse this post.



One thing to remember here is that the Islanders have too many defensemen right now because of injuries. If/when Visnovsky arrives it's likely that 2 of their 3 waiver pick-ups wind right back on waivers...and guess who gets first claim for those guys back on waivers?

Strait may well end up back in WBS by the end of the month.
Doesn't that claim have to put him on a NHL roster? I don't see how you can get first dibs on a player and can put him right in the AHL. Kind of defeats the waiver purpose of ensuring NHL caliber players get a chance to play in the NHL.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
  #281
Gooch
Registered User
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Country: United States
Posts: 13,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Strait isn't part of that philosophy. You can only flip the ones of value.
Well there obviously was some value otherwise he wouldnt of been claimed.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:06 PM
  #282
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Doesn't that claim have to put him on a NHL roster? I don't see how you can get first dibs on a player and can put him right in the AHL. Kind of defeats the waiver purpose of ensuring NHL caliber players get a chance to play in the NHL.
I've been trying to find the proper language of the rule and I haven't been able to find it. I'm not sure if he still has to clear waivers again to be sent to the minors or not, but I do know that if the Islanders waive him (which they would have to do to send him to the AHL) then the Penguins, as his former team, have the first claim if the move happens within, I believe, one month.

I want to say he'd still have to clear before potentially being sent to WBS, but I'm uncertain on that, but either way this does handcuff the Islanders with what they can do with him. The point of waivers is to give guys a chance to play in the NHL rather than getting hoarded in the minors, but if he's not going to play on the team that claimed him off waivers then there's little harm in him not playing for his original team.


Either way it's not like Strait has a whole ton of value. He's an unproven defensive defenseman with limited upside in a market where every team is putting guys similar to him on waivers. Ben Lovejoy almost certainly has more trade value on the market just because of the experience and known-commodity factors.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
  #283
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
What is Garth going to do with all these defenseman?
Play them, of course. Jokes on us.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  #284
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I disagree. Shero was pretty adamant about wanting to get change. I don't think it was really out there in the summer. I agree I'd send Lovejoy out before Strait, but they all really don't matter. We need legit defenders in here. Not PMDs... not potential stars... we need Scuds/Gill type players. I thought Strait/Engo were the only 2 in that style along side Orpik.

But hey... we are where we are. I'd bring Murray over in a heartbeat and pair him w/ Engo. That would be a sick 3rd pairing. Letang-Nisky, Martin-Orpik, Murray-Engo. Boom. That makes me feel good. Inevitably, if Martin doesn't pick it up, then goodbye. Simple as that.

To get back to the point - Shero did sound like he wanted change. I'm not pulling the trigger on *****ing just yet.
It's easy to talk, though, Cole. There's a No. 1 defenseman currently un-signed. Offer sheet P.K. Subban. There's your upgrade. I agree on Douglas Murray. I'd LOVE him here. But with several D-men injured in SJ, we have to wait on that one. But Subban's just sitting there, waiting.

Force Montreal's hand. Offer sheet Subban and then you either get a trade done or you get Letang's partner for the next decade.

Stop playing nice. We need to address this defense. Just as Rowdy said, so far the improvements on D don't cut the mustard.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  #285
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks
 
Cardboard Orpik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
You people ***** way too much.
You'd think we just lost Letang judging by the reaction here.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
  #286
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Play them, of course. Jokes on us.
Strait is better than Hickey and Finley right now. He's 25. He's ready to play. He'll be a nice defensive defenseman for you guys for a while.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
  #287
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Well there obviously was some value otherwise he wouldnt of been claimed.
I don't think the Islanders and their waiver-hoarding antics of late are exactly the best barometer for this, but whatever, it's barely an issue.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  #288
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's easy to talk, though, Cole. There's a No. 1 defenseman currently un-signed. Offer sheet P.K. Subban. There's your upgrade. I agree on Douglas Murray. I'd LOVE him here. But with several D-men injured in SJ, we have to wait on that one. But Subban's just sitting there, waiting.

Force Montreal's hand. Offer sheet Subban and then you either get a trade done or you get Letang's partner for the next decade.

Stop playing nice. We need to address this defense. Just as Rowdy said, so far the improvements on D don't cut the mustard.
Again with the offer sheets around here? Enough. Montreal would just match it anyways, then go after one of our guys in the future.

I asked about Murray last year and was told by multiple people he was just a dumb brute, too dumb for us to want him. Who the hell knows.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  #289
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Offer sheets have lost all power with the new system...and I loathed them to begin with. Montreal would match any offer that we could make and could even add an extra year on top of it.

That and throwing the kind of money that would be necessary to get him to even sign the offer would **** us over big-time when it comes to re-signing Letang and Geno, especially with the cap going down a significant amount next year. We can't afford to have two defenders making $6+ million a year and two forwards making $8.7+ million a year, to say nothing of the other parts on this club in a league with a $64 million cap.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
  #290
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
We will get to see first hand just what Strait is capable of real soon. He's not going to turn the Islanders into a winner but he finally gets a real chance to show what he can do. You know he's going to step up his game against the Pens.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
  #291
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,257
vCash: 500
Not sure PK is the right guy to have in our room with his cocky attitude. Good player but still not worth 5+ million right now

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
  #292
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Offer sheets have lost all power with the new system...and I loathed them to begin with. Montreal would match any offer that we could make and could even add an extra year on top of it.

That and throwing the kind of money that would be necessary to get him to even sign the offer would **** us over big-time when it comes to re-signing Letang and Geno, especially with the cap going down a significant amount next year. We can't afford to have two defenders making $6+ million a year and two forwards making $8.7+ million a year, to say nothing of the other parts on this club in a league with a $64 million cap.
This can't be said enough. People need to come back down to earth a bit here. You can't have a perfect team in a salary cap NHL. Especially when you have the two best players in the world, a Norris caliber dman, a young 40 goal winger and the 9th highest paid goalie in the league all taking up a big chunk of the payroll. It's just not going to happen. Especially considering the fact that the Pens don't operate in a vacuum. Believe it or not, other teams exist and are actively trying to get(or hang onto) all these dream players too. It's not always a case of Shero not doing enough.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:09 PM
  #293
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Well there obviously was some value otherwise he wouldnt of been claimed.
Hilarious.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
  #294
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,222
vCash: 500
I have a feeling that in a short time we will be saying "I can't believe we kept Lovejoy & let this guy go."

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
  #295
zhenyas most fly rep
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: breizh
Country: France
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Offer sheets have lost all power with the new system...and I loathed them to begin with. Montreal would match any offer that we could make and could even add an extra year on top of it.

That and throwing the kind of money that would be necessary to get him to even sign the offer would **** us over big-time when it comes to re-signing Letang and Geno, especially with the cap going down a significant amount next year. We can't afford to have two defenders making $6+ million a year and two forwards making $8.7+ million a year, to say nothing of the other parts on this club in a league with a $64 million cap.
Not that I disagree with you but Shero seems to believe we can. Didn't he offer 6M to Staal and was actively pursuing Suter/Parise last summer?

zhenyas most fly rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #296
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 42,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I disagree. Shero was pretty adamant about wanting to get change. I don't think it was really out there in the summer. I agree I'd send Lovejoy out before Strait, but they all really don't matter. We need legit defenders in here. Not PMDs... not potential stars... we need Scuds/Gill type players. I thought Strait/Engo were the only 2 in that style along side Orpik.

But hey... we are where we are. I'd bring Murray over in a heartbeat and pair him w/ Engo. That would be a sick 3rd pairing. Letang-Nisky, Martin-Orpik, Murray-Engo. Boom. That makes me feel good. Inevitably, if Martin doesn't pick it up, then goodbye. Simple as that.

To get back to the point - Shero did sound like he wanted change. I'm not pulling the trigger on *****ing just yet.
Talk is cheap though Cole, and really, if all your off-season hopes hinge on the landing the most coveted defenseman in the UFA market, the odds of revamping your defense are pretty low. I don't think we need to be offer-sheeting Subban - change can come within if you're genuinely committed to following through with turnover. Like you say, we need legit defenders like Strait in here, and we let him go so we could keep one of the offenders from last season's debacle who's a #6 calibre PMD on a good day (which he hasn't had in awhile).

Maybe Orpik, Martin, and Lovejoy will all bounce back and have reliable years, or maybe Bortuzzo and Despres will all play well enough that the vets don't need to, or maybe we make a splash at the deadline for a stable defenseman. That seems to me like a lot of finger-crossing for a team that hopes to contend.

Losing Strait obviously isn't the end of the world, but the more stable defensive depth we have the better considering how many injuries and crap performances we had last year.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  #297
Gustavo Fring
-35 ;)
 
Gustavo Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
That one poster was right. This really does remind me of those Caps fans that were in a state of hysteria over losing Chris Bourque to us.

I hope Strait has better luck with his NHL career than Bourque did, but like I said, it wasn't going to happen here for Strait even if we kept him around.
Bourque made the Bruins roster and supposedly looked great in camp. He will fit nicely on their fourth line.

I am bummed my team didn't take a chance on Strait. Of all the waiver wire guys he interested me the most. He didn't make it far up the line if the Isles picked him.

Gustavo Fring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  #298
Riptide
Moderator
 
Riptide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Yukon
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Offer sheets have lost all power with the new system...and I loathed them to begin with. Montreal would match any offer that we could make and could even add an extra year on top of it.
Is that even possible? I mean if a team offers a RFA a 7 yr deal worth 70m, and he accepts, what can the current team do? Match? But are they even allowed to offer a 8 yr deal worth 70m+ ?

__________________
"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
  #299
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I've been trying to find the proper language of the rule and I haven't been able to find it. I'm not sure if he still has to clear waivers again to be sent to the minors or not, but I do know that if the Islanders waive him (which they would have to do to send him to the AHL) then the Penguins, as his former team, have the first claim if the move happens within, I believe, one month.

I want to say he'd still have to clear before potentially being sent to WBS, but I'm uncertain on that, but either way this does handcuff the Islanders with what they can do with him. The point of waivers is to give guys a chance to play in the NHL rather than getting hoarded in the minors, but if he's not going to play on the team that claimed him off waivers then there's little harm in him not playing for his original team.


Either way it's not like Strait has a whole ton of value. He's an unproven defensive defenseman with limited upside in a market where every team is putting guys similar to him on waivers. Ben Lovejoy almost certainly has more trade value on the market just because of the experience and known-commodity factors.
I'm pretty sure when Bourque was claimed again by Washington, he was sent directly to Hershey.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
  #300
jdpitt05
Registered User
 
jdpitt05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
How are people so convinced that Strait is a legit NHL ready dman? He only played a handful of games due to injuries and looked like just another AHL dman out there. It's not like we lost someone that actually played a full or even half of a season in the NHL. I completely agree with Shero/DB on this move.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.