HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes Leads Ice

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Dawes Leads Ice

New article on Hockey's Future featuring Nigel Dawes.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...readed&order=0

Old
03-01-2005, 07:56 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Im hoping to play in Hartford, said Dawes, of his 2005-06 hockey season.

Old
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Fletch

Of course he's hoping...

it's really either Hartford or Charlotte.

Old
03-01-2005, 09:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
it's really either Hartford or Charlotte.
Well if there is an NHL season half the pack roster will be in NY so im sure he would play with the Pack.

Old
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Well if there is an NHL season half the pack roster will be in NY so im sure he would play with the Pack.
I found it interesting that he said he'd like to be in New York if an agreement can be reached. Sure, every player wants to be there, but I think Dawes believes, to a certain extent, he can be there if there is hockey next year.

Old
03-01-2005, 10:28 PM
NYFAN

I wouldn't be surprised to see him with the Pack next season. Lord knows we could use some offensive players for McGill to work with, and mold into future Rangers. I really think we have a diamond in the rough with Dawes. Yes he is short, but I wouldn't call him small by any means. If Theo Fleury could play and have an impact for several years in the NHL, I see no reason a player with Dawes offensive ability can't at his size!

Old
03-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Levitate

mcgill doesn't seem to particularly like offensive players...

Old
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Fletch

I don't think it's about...

liking offensive players...he's a demanding coach that wants players to play within his system. His system isn't wide open and doesn't promote a player's skills, but it is pretty effective. If you can bang and play along the boards, as well as are an aggressive and effective forechecker, you can put up numbers in McGill's system.

Old
03-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Levitate

yeah but honestly I dont' see that playing guys like balej and lundmark with hollweg and ortmeyer or whoever is very conducive to their putting up points.

Old
03-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
yeah but honestly I dont' see that playing guys like balej and lundmark with hollweg and ortmeyer or whoever is very conducive to their putting up points.
In Dawes' case, though, things might be different. He's not a Balej/Lundmark type player. He's not got their footspeed, and he's not a finesse type. He said it himself: "bury the puck when I it comes to me". That kind of sniper often thrives in a tight system, so long as there's someone to feed him the puck.

On another note, am I the only one who thinks that Dawes looks (and plays) like the Mini-Me to Jarome Iginla's Dr. Evil?

Old
03-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Pedrostallion1

In 2002 Dawes played his first year in the WHL with McGill as coach so they are familiar with eachother.

That year they played McGill's system to a T and ended up winning the Memorial Cup. It is interesting to note that since McGill has been in Hartford a number of former ICE players have been brought in....I would have to think McGill played a large part in getting Nigel to the Rangers in the first place.

Other guys that have had an ICE / Ranger connection since McGill arrived include:

Craig Weller
Dean Arsene
Mike Green

Old
03-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Fletch

Levitate...

both Balej and Lundmark struggled to muster-up offense when on more offensive lines. McGill's team isn't loaded with offensive talent and he's trying to find the most effective line combinations to win a game. McGill doesn't mind sitting or demoting a 'star' if they're not performing.

Old
03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
both Balej and Lundmark struggled to muster-up offense when on more offensive lines. McGill's team isn't loaded with offensive talent and he's trying to find the most effective line combinations to win a game. McGill doesn't mind sitting or demoting a 'star' if they're not performing.
I hope Renney will be able to do that when the NHL season starts, and he should have started that when he was coaching the Rangers as an interm. Once I see Renney sit a guy like Poti for lack of defensive play or a guy like Nylander for giving the puck away, then I'll believe it. Renney will be a good coach with our youth, but will he sit a player like Jagr, Poti or Rachunek for bad turnovers and bad plays??? That is yet made to be seen.

Old
03-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Levitate

i think it's tough in the NHL with star players in terms of benchings, etc. cuz star players might turn the puck over more, but they make up for it with their play. you certainly want to minimize the amount that they turn the puck over but if you bench them every time they make one mistake then it's gonna be an issue and frankly your team isn't going to be as good cuz you'll be constantly benching your best players. and when you have creative offensive players they're probably gonna turn the puck over more than a straightforward defensive forward, but if you penalize them for doing what they do, what good are they?

it's a balance...

but if it's consistant bad play, yes any player should be benched. but it's too iffy to try to institute some across the boards standard

Old
03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Well the Rangers and Wolfpack are alike. This year the Pack lead the AHL in PIM with 1788 penalty minutes just like the Rangers did last year.

Old
03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I am very excited about this kid. I think he has the tools to make it despite his size. He sounds gritty.

Closed Thread