HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Kovalev to sign a 1-year deal with the Panthers

Old
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
As much as I've disliked Kovalev over the years because he was on rival teams, there's nothing better than to seeing one of the all-time greats make a return and keep going so I'm glad to see Kovalev back.

I don't know how well he'll play this year and I won't be expecting much, but he's still extremely talented and the Panthers lack that kind of offensive talent and raw skill in their forwards. The Panthers are also a very young team and an older veteran like Kovalev should be of great help to the younger players especially. It seems like he'll start with Huberdeau and Mueller and Huberdeau is just a rookie. Usually, older players really mesh well with the kids at points. Guerin did wonders with Crosby and Recchi with Bergeron and Marchand as just two recent examples of this. It kind of works in both ways; the older guy usually helps the younger ones and in turn vice versa to form a nice thing happening. I think that has a chance to happen for Kovalev here. I don't think Huberdeau and Mueller will make him who he once was, as age has caught up with him and he'll never quite get that back, but they certainly could help him and I expect he'll do the same for both these younger players by being there as a veteran to help, especially for the rookie.

Good signing. Like I said, Kovalev brings some offensive talent that the Panthers don't have a lot of. I like that.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:24 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

You would think it would be better long term to see Drew Shore start taking his bumps instead of a player that has nothing left in the tank. Don't make sense to me.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
How do people make such statements as "I saw him yesterday, he still has it!"? Shouldn't teams be looking at the trend over time of these guys play and make some rationale decisions about how they might perform in the future? Too many guys looking GREAT in camp that I'd bet will turn into duds once they have to play more than 1 or 2 NHL games in a row after a long lockout. I think the teams heavy on youth and guys that played during the lockout are gong to fare very well. I don't see guys like Kovalev earning his $$$.
If you go by trends Sykora must have sucked for the Devils last year.

Trends are only good to give you a ballpark of where the player is in a vacuum. They don't factor injuries, rest time, chemistry, etc. Tallon probably looked at the fact that the season is only 48 games, so Kovalev has much less time to run out of gas. He looked at the fact that he has skilled guys he can put with Kovalev to get a skill multiplier, as well as hustle guys like Goc and Bergenheim if he needs someone to cover for him. He looked at them not having a lot of creative PPing forwards. He looked at the fact that Kovalev had knee injuries with the sens and had ample time to heal them up, and that there's also a higher chance that he can play a 3-4 month season without wearing his knees out than a longer one. Also the fact that he's pretty popular with his NHL guys, can be a fan attraction and costs very little.

He's gonna cost about a mil contribute on a much higher level than that.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Joey Moss

Does this mean Huberdeau goes back to junior?

A lot of forwards there.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
SensIn7

This is great news!! He's one of my all-time favourite players to watch. As a sens fan who lived in MTL for many years, he was one of the only reasons I watched habs games..just waiting for the odd moment every game (or few games) when he would do a sick dangle, a one-handed backhand flip pass, deke forecheckers out of their pants on an end-to-end rush (usually to cough the puck up at the offensive blue line), or knock off his own helmet and instantly turn on beast mode. I really enjoyed these moments in MTL and since I wasn't a true habs fan, I didn't get too worked up with all the negatives/inconsistency he brings to the game. I was excited when the sens signed him, although I knew quite well what they were getting into and realized it's a lot harder to put up with him when he's playing for your true #1 team. So I'm sure Florida fans will get frustrated with the guy, especially since he has clearly lost a step or two, but as a fan of the player (and not the team) I am thrilled to have him back and wish him all the best! But the only way this isn't a total disaster is if they sign him to a $0.5-$1.5M deal and make it clear to him upfront that he will get the 3rd/4th line minutes that go along with a salary like that and will only get more minutes if he shows that he deserves it.

SensIn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Does this mean Huberdeau goes back to junior?

A lot of forwards there.
No, means he's playing on AK's line. Kids like Shore are going back, management feels they're better served staying down. Patience is the call these days, and it'll serve Shore well to stay.

01-17-2013, 08:18 PM
the

Very happy to see Alexei Kovalev continue his NHL career, he's one of the all-time greats and deserve a better ending.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:24 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

I think Kovalev will be decent. Dale Tallon won't deal with his BS and will ship him out or put him on waivers if he gets out of line with FLA's coaching staff.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:28 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Watched him skate last night. The skill is still there, but he is much slower than he used to be.

He's going to be slotted on the second line with huberdeau and mueller. He sticks with the team until a younger player shows he can handle playing on the second line. So far nobody has come close
That, more than anything, was why he didn't work out in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's style is breakout as fast as possible when you have the puck and get back as fast as possible when you don't. He was behind the play no matter which direction the puck was going.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
I think Kovalev will be decent. Dale Tallon won't deal with his BS and will ship him out or put him on waivers if he gets out of line with FLA's coaching staff.
Contrary to popular belief, Kovalev's not a "bad attitude" guy. It's not like he's a primadonna selfish jerk. I hate to use the word enigmatic, so I'll just say he's a space alien.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

This is good for the younger players, will be interesting to see how much he has left in the tank.

Tony D63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:49 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

He will still be effective on a PP unit. Good for Kovalev IMO.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Punkeater

I'm happy that he came back. He's always fun to watch and like him or not, it's always good for the NHL when we see Kovalev scoring a goal like only players like him, Datsyuk etc are capable of doing.

He's only a couple assists away from the 600th too.

Can't wait to see him back in Montreal when the Panthers will be in town!

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Kovalev is one of my all time favorite players. Still remember when he scored 44 goals for Pittsburgh about 10 years ago or so. If true, great to see him back. Wish him the best of luck this season.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:22 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Watched him skate last night. The skill is still there, but he is much slower than he used to be.

He's going to be slotted on the second line with huberdeau and mueller. He sticks with the team until a younger player shows he can handle playing on the second line. So far nobody has come close
You must've missed the thread where buddy said Svatos is making the team and leading them to playoffs.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
sauce11

useless signing... the frustration of seeing kovalev trying to spin away from a defenseman in the corner, only to lose the puck and get caught behind the play will make you wish you filled that hole with one of your glut of able forward prospects.

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
Very happy to see Alexei Kovalev continue his NHL career, he's one of the all-time greats and deserve a better ending.
All time greats?

He is extremely talented, but that may be a stretch.

Still, hope he has a great year.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:46 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
skill multiplier
This is awesome. So many times I have been looking for a term to explain this phenomena and here it is ladies and gents.... I've argued that fact so many times, you can't put a skilled guy on the 4th line (ex. Zherddev flyers) and hope he works his way up, you need to put him on top 2 lines with someone who understands his hockey sense and can accept his passes, read his plays etc...
Its like a synergy Ie. Kovalev is worth 2 Kostitsyn is worth 2 put them together and you get 5.... Put Kovy with Bissonette who is worth 1 and some how their sum is -1. I'm not sure the term for the opposite of synergy (possibly "bargain purchase" the accounting term for negative goodwill lol)?

Anyways, AK 47 and AK27 had good chemistry back in the day, hopefully the panthers add both, then throw a guy like wiess out there with them. That would be one sick dangle party!

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
This is awesome. So many times I have been looking for a term to explain this phenomena and here it is ladies and gents.... I've argued that fact so many times, you can't put a skilled guy on the 4th line (ex. Zherddev flyers) and hope he works his way up, you need to put him on top 2 lines with someone who understands his hockey sense and can accept his passes, read his plays etc...
Its like a synergy Ie. Kovalev is worth 2 Kostitsyn is worth 2 put them together and you get 5.... Put Kovy with Bissonette who is worth 1 and some how their sum is -1. I'm not sure the term for the opposite of synergy (possibly "bargain purchase" the accounting term for negative goodwill lol)?

Anyways, AK 47 and AK27 had good chemistry back in the day, hopefully the panthers add both, then throw a guy like wiess out there with them. That would be one sick dangle party!
You're welcome.

It also applies to all players on a line being fast or all players being physical. The less they need to think to be in sync with everyone else the more effective they'll be. We saw that with Carter-Gionta-Bernier who absolutely dominated last year despite having no discernible skill, simply because they played without being slowed down by thinking about the game or what the other players on the line would do.

Last edited by Halpysback: 01-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Parise9Crosby87

my man drew shore should of made the team instead of kovalev

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:30 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
my man drew shore should of made the team instead of kovalev
No need to rush. Howden, Shore and Bjugstad (lots of internal youthful competition next season). Howden or Shore can be emergency callups throughout the season too. I like the progression they are taking with the four-five star prospect forwards and Dmen in Florida, and they are being ULTRA conservative with Markstrom which should pan out well.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:38 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Good for Kovalev! Glad to see him back in the NHL.

01-18-2013, 03:45 AM
flapanthersfan

drew shore is a center - kovalev's a winger. not sure why people keep bringing him up. if shore is going to steal someone's roster spot, it would be weiss, goc, matthias or smithson. i'd rather see shore get a full season of top-line play and give him a spot next year than see 5 minutes replacing smithson on the 4th line this season. what's the rush?

if Kovalev can replace what Samuelsson brought to the team last year I'll be more than happy: Contribute on the PP, don't kill us 5-on-5. If he can do that, he'll replace what Sammy brought

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
I'm afraid we all will cry blood watching declined Kovy. But still happy for him! Best luck!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I understand he, Mueller and Huberdeau have looked really good in camp as a line. I hope he pans out for Florida as he has been very inconsistent for his past few teams.
he has been very slow for his past few years, I guess you meant that.

Lemieuxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:44 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post

To be fair, Zherdev scored a lot of goals for 4th line duty

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote