2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 11:22 PM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Where is Bushnell rated to actually go? There has been different reports out there. I can see a team stepping up to grab him in the 2nd, his style of play should be in demand.
I could see Erie taking him in the 2nd round if they have a few picks, just because of his willingness to scrap. However, his limited skill will probably force him into the 3rd round.

Carbonara has great potential, nice hands, but is definitely not a fighter. He may be the laziest player in the GTHL. He keeps both hands on the stick always, and his compete level definitely has to increase dramatically.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Sherry Bassin and Erie love the big power forwards, and seem to always pick a big forward in the first round, except for McDavid last year.
That is true but they have taken McKegg and Marchese in the last few years. I think they would be stupid to take a power forward especially over Strome. They have power forwards on the roster already in Harper, Crisp, Wigle, and Hodgson seems to play a little tougher of a role the last 10 games or so before his suspension.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
chewerjones

Sean Day should be granted ES based on his size, maturity and ability. No brainer.

HOWEVER, I have heard through the rumour mill that his application process hasnt been smooth sailing, and IF Ottawa wants to take Konecny, then Day's camp wont accept being 2nd pick overall and will stay in the US program.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:32 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
That is true but they have taken McKegg and Marchese in the last few years. I think they would be stupid to take a power forward especially over Strome. They have power forwards on the roster already in Harper, Crisp, Wigle, and Hodgson seems to play a little tougher of a role the last 10 games or so before his suspension.
Marchese was considered a power forward, and before him Broll, and after him, Crisp, Harper, etc.....

When they drafted McKegg, he went 2nd overall. If they had the 3rd pick that year, they would have taken Shipley, who can be considered a big forward.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:36 PM
mapleleaf979

Sam Bennett is a natural winger. Played on Mcdavid's wing for 6-7 years from YSE to Marlboros. He is smart and versatile enough to play both. Id be surprised if he isnt moved back to wing next year, especially with the addition of Strome, if that is Kingston's pick. Bennett excels forechecking and using his body to sheild pucks cutting in from the left wing.

Erie has had trouble over and over again drafting players. Players did not want to report there. Its tough to judge the past based on that. I think they move Harper this summer.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:47 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Marchese was considered a power forward, and before him Broll, and after him, Crisp, Harper, etc.....

When they drafted McKegg, he went 2nd overall. If they had the 3rd pick that year, they would have taken Shipley, who can be considered a big forward.
I wasn't disagreeing they do take power forwards even years before that they took Peluso. Crisp was a 2nd rounder though; I was just saying they really do not need one, they have 3-4 already.

And to go along with what Mapleleaf said I think moving Harper would be a good move. They can bring in some defensive help trading him, if they get a high end d-man in the import draft, and take Strome with the 2nd pick I think that would be ideal.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:49 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing they do take power forwards even years before that they took Peluso. Crisp was a 2nd rounder though; I was just saying they really do not need one, they have 3-4 already.

And to go along with what Mapleleaf said I think moving Harper would be a good move. They can bring in some defensive help trading him, if they get a high end d-man in the import draft, and take Strome with the 2nd pick I think that would be ideal.
What happened to Harper this year? They have tryed everything to make it work. They played him with his room-mate and it didnt work. Is it me or does it appear that he is dis-interested.dis-engaged? Kind of odd considering its his draft year.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:58 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
Sean Day should be granted ES based on his size, maturity and ability. No brainer.

HOWEVER, I have heard through the rumour mill that his application process hasnt been smooth sailing, and IF Ottawa wants to take Konecny, then Day's camp wont accept being 2nd pick overall and will stay in the US program.
Yes, also heard that 'maturity' might just be an issue with OHL CS. Konecny, smartest choice and Day's camp wont accept anything but 1st I heard as well.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
What happened to Harper this year? They have tryed everything to make it work. They played him with his room-mate and it didnt work. Is it me or does it appear that he is dis-interested.dis-engaged? Kind of odd considering its his draft year.
I think he does seem disinterested. I do not know if he is for sure but it certainly seems that way. Most of the season he has been on the 3rd line and when the team is healthy under Knoblauch he has seen less ice time. I think trading him would be the best thing, he can still net a great return and help to get a 18 or 19 year old d-man that will be play top 4 minutes.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:18 AM
chewerjones

Quote:

I think you need confidence on the defence and Spencer should be your pick. But, I understand he doesnt want to come to Erie.

Playing centre for a rookie is a tough task, and unless you are on a struggling team, or you accept playing on the 3rd line, you will almost always play on the wing in your first year.

Maidens, Dal Colle, Laughton, Gaunce, Campagna, just recently, have all played on the wing in their first years, and they were all high end MM talent. A Centre has to be a great skater, be confident and skilled in moving the puck.

Gaunce has gone back to playing wing , since they acquired Graovac and Quine.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:34 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Yes, also heard that 'maturity' might just be an issue with OHL CS. Konecny, smartest choice and Day's camp wont accept anything but 1st I heard as well.
There are other factors working in his favour. I dont think the OHL wants any ES candidate to be anything but #1 to began with. Its looks bad and makes no sense.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Hockey Canada is the one you mean im sure? They make the call on Day. Still waiting on Korostelev 5 nations answer btw lol.

Rumours are starting to make their way out there. I have a feeling alot of posters will be quite surprised with the top 10 this year, let me just say that.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-04-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old
03-04-2013, 08:02 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Hockey Canada is the one you mean im sure? They make the call on Day. Still waiting on Korostelev 5 nations answer btw lol.

Rumours are starting to make their way out there. I have a feeling alot of posters will be quite surprised with the top 10 this year, let me just say that.
I hope Day is awarded ES cause if not he will likely stay over in the US and also it might drastically change the first round if Konency goes first.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:50 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
This is not a rank just players I will be looking for at the SCTA Tournament.

Forwards

Mike Davies - Southern Tier Admirals
Jesse Barwell - Oakville Rangers
Matt Kreis - Halton Hurricans
Brette McKenzie - Oakville Rangers
Jackson Bales - Brampton 45's
Adam Craievich - Oakville Rangers

Defence

Tory Henley - Oakville Rangers
Garrett McFadden - Grey Bruce Highlanders
Kyle Capobianco - Oakville Rangers
Matt Spencer - Oakville Rangers
Connor Walters - Southern Tier Admirals
Andrew Burns - Oakvile Rangers
Matthew Mercer - Halton Hurricans

Goaltenders

Zack Bowman - Niagara North Stars
Brendan McGlynn - Oakville Rangers
Ben Blacker - Brampton 45's

The SCTA was played this weekend. Here is a little follow up on the guys I wanted to see. The SCTA tournament is a mixed bag of high ranked teams vs the lower ranked and not a great sampling of how these players would perform in a high end game.

Forwards

Mike Davies - Southern Tier Admirals - was good not great. No supporting players to help him. Still a high end pick that will go in the first round.

Jesse Barwell - Oakville Rangers - has really been quiet on the score sheet. Nice wheels.

Matt Kreis - Halton Hurricanes - best player on Halton. Great wheels and a nice release. A top 20 pick IMO. One of the smaller players that can play in the OHL next season.

Brette McKenzie - Oakville Rangers - does it all. Great N/S player with size. Top 10 lock that will play good minutes in the OHL next season.

Jackson Bales - Brampton 45's - very impressive. Great wheels and head for the game. A pick in the first 2 rounds, maybe early third.

Adam Craievich - Oakville Rangers - played tough this weekend and moved his feet. Will need a step or two to play at the next level but has great tools.

Add on

Jeffers - Brampton 45's - was very impressive vs. STA. Great wheels and was able to handle the puck in traffic. He could use a few pounds. Should be considered a top three round pick.

Sean Kohler - Oakville Rangers - He does not give up. This player has something that coaches love. Lots of heart. Great wheels a decent hands that will get him noticed.

Defence

Tory Henley - Oakville Rangers - clam and does his job with efficiency. Great wheels and knows when to go. Good size that looks to be OHL ready. Should be a top 10 selection in the draft.

Garrett McFadden - Grey Bruce Highlanders - Best player on his team but a step below the high end D picks in this draft. Good wheels but size could hurt.

Kyle Capobianco - Oakville Rangers - without question the smoothest skating puck moving D in the draft. Smart, great wheels, elusive with the puck. He will need to fill out his frame. Easy top ten pick.

Matt Spencer - Oakville Rangers - MS had a good weekend. Not his best. Didn't hurt himself and if a team needs D he could be the first pick overall.

Connor Walters - Southern Tier Admirals - He has some work to do at the OMHA's and OHL Cup to get moved up. Great size, ok wheels. He could add a little edge to his game that will help his draft stock.

Andrew Burns - Oakvile Rangers - playing behind KC, TH, and MS can easily get you buried. Still a solid D that has great tools.

Matthew Mercer - Halton Hurricanes - a big D that has good wheels. Skates well with the puck. Very little thats bad about his game. Great size. A body that is ready for the OHL.

Goaltenders

Zack Bowman - Niagara North Stars - not a great weekend for his team or ZB. Some flashes in a few games and some total lets downs in others. It tough to stay up for games when you're out and this may have hurt. A pick with a shot to play with a year of development.

Brendan McGlynn - Oakville Rangers - played the two tough games that Oakville had this weekend. Not a lot of action for BM but he stayed focused and had to come up big a few times. Stopping the Kreis penalty shot in the final was critical. Athletic tender with quick reflexes.

Ben Blacker - Brampton 45's - With expectations so high its easy to come away disappointed. BB was ok this weekend. I wouldn't say his team won or lost this weekend because of his play. Seems to wander from the net to play the puck way to much leading to a few close calls. The first goal in the STA game is one he would want another shot at but his team could burry their chances which cost the game.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:09 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
The SCTA was played this weekend. Here is a little follow up on the guys I wanted to see. The SCTA tournament is a mixed bag of high ranked teams vs the lower ranked and not a great sampling of how these players would perform in a high end game.

Forwards

Mike Davies - Southern Tier Admirals - was good not great. No supporting players to help him. Still a high end pick that will go in the first round.

Jesse Barwell - Oakville Rangers - has really been quiet on the score sheet. Nice wheels.

Matt Kreis - Halton Hurricanes - best player on Halton. Great wheels and a nice release. A top 20 pick IMO. One of the smaller players that can play in the OHL next season.

Brette McKenzie - Oakville Rangers - does it all. Great N/S player with size. Top 10 lock that will play good minutes in the OHL next season.

Jackson Bales - Brampton 45's - very impressive. Great wheels and head for the game. A pick in the first 2 rounds, maybe early third.

Adam Craievich - Oakville Rangers - played tough this weekend and moved his feet. Will need a step or two to play at the next level but has great tools.

Add on

Jeffers - Brampton 45's - was very impressive vs. STA. Great wheels and was able to handle the puck in traffic. He could use a few pounds. Should be considered a top three round pick.

Sean Kohler - Oakville Rangers - He does not give up. This player has something that coaches love. Lots of heart. Great wheels a decent hands that will get him noticed.

Defence

Tory Henley - Oakville Rangers - clam and does his job with efficiency. Great wheels and knows when to go. Good size that looks to be OHL ready. Should be a top 10 selection in the draft.

Garrett McFadden - Grey Bruce Highlanders - Best player on his team but a step below the high end D picks in this draft. Good wheels but size could hurt.

Kyle Capobianco - Oakville Rangers - without question the smoothest skating puck moving D in the draft. Smart, great wheels, elusive with the puck. He will need to fill out his frame. Easy top ten pick.

Matt Spencer - Oakville Rangers - MS had a good weekend. Not his best. Didn't hurt himself and if a team needs D he could be the first pick overall.

Connor Walters - Southern Tier Admirals - He has some work to do at the OMHA's and OHL Cup to get moved up. Great size, ok wheels. He could add a little edge to his game that will help his draft stock.

Andrew Burns - Oakvile Rangers - playing behind KC, TH, and MS can easily get you buried. Still a solid D that has great tools.

Matthew Mercer - Halton Hurricanes - a big D that has good wheels. Skates well with the puck. Very little thats bad about his game. Great size. A body that is ready for the OHL.

Goaltenders

Zack Bowman - Niagara North Stars - not a great weekend for his team or ZB. Some flashes in a few games and some total lets downs in others. It tough to stay up for games when you're out and this may have hurt. A pick with a shot to play with a year of development.

Brendan McGlynn - Oakville Rangers - played the two tough games that Oakville had this weekend. Not a lot of action for BM but he stayed focused and had to come up big a few times. Stopping the Kreis penalty shot in the final was critical. Athletic tender with quick reflexes.

Ben Blacker - Brampton 45's - With expectations so high its easy to come away disappointed. BB was ok this weekend. I wouldn't say his team won or lost this weekend because of his play. Seems to wander from the net to play the puck way to much leading to a few close calls. The first goal in the STA game is one he would want another shot at but his team could burry their chances which cost the game.
I don't know if Mapleleaf or Tigers can confirm this or not but I think Bales and Blacker are NCAA bound.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Mark my words on this. By the time the OHL cup is done, every GM will have Dylan Strome as the #1 ranked player in the draft not named Sean Day. He makes everyone better, I cant stress that enough. Strome has elevated his game, to another level in the playoffs. He is unbelievable. Erie will have to decide what they want to do with the #2 pick in the draft. I think Erie need a Dman really badly for example Matt Spencer or a winger for Mcdavid like Crouse. The thing is if Erie have been scouting the GTHL playoffs on the regular they will walk out of the rink confused and probably convinced that its too hard to pass on this big centerman. Strome is the best player Ive seen this year in Ontario. I would not have said that in October, things change. This kid is incredible. I know stats dont mean everything but Strome will surpass 200 points at years end. If u compare his regular season to Hosang 79 pts and Mcdavid 72 points, He had them both beat with 84 points. His skating has grown this year, excellent on the draws, tape to tape passes, surreal playmaking, one of the most accurate shots in his age group. Decision making is off the charts. Strome and Korostelev for me are the 2 best players at using there body to shield the puck. That is huge in the OHL. There is no other player in the OHL draft this year that elevates the other 4 team-mates on the ice like Strome does. He is all meat and potatoes, doesnt need to showboat and turn the puck over, its north/south efficient style of play.
I've said this all along. He is a franchise player.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Tough to say, right now, because Im not 100% sure about the Petes pick. I think the Petes might take Korostelev not because he is #3 but for other reasons. I know a few of the kids for a fact will not report there. I think Strome will decide between Erie and Kingston. Kingston for me is the best fit for him with 2 excellent wingers like Watson and Bennett. It couldnt be more perfect for Strome and his playmaking to go to Kingston and combine with 2 excellent fast wingers who can finish.
Killer wants him badly.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:02 AM
skating101

Quote:

Think Day’s camp should have some inkling if HC will grant him ES. McDavid’s camp was aware late February conversely not made public till March.

If Day’s camp is still in the dark HC maybe a bit apprehension in their decision process.

Under the CHL banner Tyler Benson may be a stronger candidate for ES this year.

Thoughts?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Sam Bennett will not move from centre to play wing, for any draft eligible player this year. No one in this year's OHL draft is good enough to replace Bennett at centre.
Sorry Chewer, seen them both play all their minor midget games and as good as Sam is there is no comparison between the 2 of them. Dylan is closer to McDavid than he is to Bennett.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:38 AM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Sorry Chewer, seen them both play all their minor midget games and as good as Sam is there is no comparison between the 2 of them. Dylan is closer to McDavid than he is to Bennett.
As much as it kills me to agree with Chewer ....... nobody in this year’s draft will take Bennett’s centre position from him.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Think Day’s camp should have some inkling if HC will grant him ES. McDavid’s camp was aware late February conversely not made public till March.

If Day’s camp is still in the dark HC maybe a bit apprehension in their decision process.

Under the CHL banner Tyler Benson may be a stronger candidate for ES this year.

Thoughts?
Tyler Benson did not apply, therefore cannot be an ES this year. Hes been playing against players his own age as well, which didn't help.

The Day camp (Jason Woolley and TPG) are aware of the situation, as are most within the OHL. Not my place to publicly talk about a private application process.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:01 PM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Killer wants him badly.
Top 5 Mix: Ottawa, Erie, Petes, Mississauga, Kingston

Day, Konecney, Strome, Spencer, Crouse ( confirmed in Toronto Sun on Sunday that Ottawa will take Konencney ) Kingston working hard on Strome !

6 - 10 Mix: Niagara, Saginaw, Sudbury, North Bay, Sarnia

Korostelev, MacKenzie, Stephens, Henley, Capobianco

11 - 19 mix: Soo, Guelph, Kitchener, Oshawa, Barrie, Owen Sound, Plymouth, London

Speers (solidified to Soo) Defarias, McCool, Schlicting, Kries, Lizzote, Van Sompel, White

Any other talk on who may go where ?

Old
03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
skating101

Quote:
Tyler Benson did not apply, therefore cannot be an ES this year. Hes been playing against players his own age as well, which didn't help.

The Day camp (Jason Woolley and TPG) are aware of the situation, as are most within the OHL. Not my place to publicly talk about a private application process.
I can respect that....

Mapleleaf made comment its 120% confirmed on the contrary I haven't heard anything to support that claim.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
skating101

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of C Trojan View Post
Top 5 Mix: Ottawa, Erie, Petes, Mississauga, Kingston

Day, Konecney, Strome, Spencer, Crouse ( confirmed in Toronto Sun on Sunday that Ottawa will take Konencney ) Kingston working hard on Strome !

6 - 10 Mix: Niagara, Saginaw, Sudbury, North Bay, Sarnia

Korostelev, MacKenzie, Stephens, Henley, Capobianco

11 - 19 mix: Soo, Guelph, Kitchener, Oshawa, Barrie, Owen Sound, Plymouth, London

Speers (solidified to Soo) Defarias, McCool, Schlicting, Kries, Lizzote, Van Sompel, White

Any other talk on who may go where ?
The more I watch Travis Kenoncy the more he reminds me of a 15 year old Steven Stamkos with a physical punch. I would take that chance every day of the week and twice on Sunday cause if he develops remotely into a Stamkos I made the right decision.

Off topic not an expert but I would be careful posting any list publicly that may have copy right protection

Old
03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
The more I watch Travis Kenoncy the more he reminds me of a 15 year old Steven Stamkos with a physical punch. I would take that chance every day of the week and twice on Sunday cause if he develops remotely into a Stamkos I made the right decision.

Off topic not an expert but I would be careful posting any list publicly that may have copy right protection
Fair enough. I personally dont see the comparisons nor did I see the Hosang and Hall comparisons. Stamkos is a top 3, top 5 NHL player. Konecny will never score like Stamkos in my opinion but be more of a playmaker moving forward. I dont think he will touch Stamkos ceiling. But not many will. Great prospect Konecny is though.

Regarding Sean Day, there are several rumours. Id rather let the chips fall where they may as oppose to comment on everything that comes out. I will say that if not granted I highly doubt u will ever see Day suit up for Team Canada, but for team USA.

Closed Thread