Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
This is off topic but watching JRC in the playoffs and seeing underage Cole Candella, my eyes popped out of my head. He is going to be a stud in next years draft. His skating ability is incredible.

Does anyone know if Brancatella on JRC torn knee ligaments? any update on his injury?

Old
03-04-2013, 08:46 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
Anything you care to share?

Based on what I posted above, this is my latest guess at the top 5
Ottawa - Day
Erie - Strome
Peterborough - Konecny
Mississauga - Spencer
Kingston- Crouse
Konency won't report to Peterborough the rumours say.

I want Strome as a Pete very badly, he will be deadly in the O in 2 years.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post

Not true. There are a lot of rumours out there, be careful, a significant amount of them are not necessarily the truth.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I agree, Id be shocked if Konecny goes to the Petes.

Strome will be deadly, he picks teams apart with his vision. Its ridicoulous what he did to the JRC.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:26 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Not true. There are a lot of rumours out there, be careful, a significant amount of them are not necessarily the truth.
This is awesome news Tigers thanks for clearing this up!!!

Old
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
This is awesome news Tigers thanks for clearing this up!!!
My own belief is that he wont be there, but after talking to the agent and the player, he has not told any team he wont report to them. T

Old
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
OSA

If Erie can get Werenski to report I wonder if they take Greenway in the 2nd round. It would have to be really enticing for him to play alongside McDavid for 2 years en route to the NHL draft. What a special draft year that would shape up to be for the Otters.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
My own belief is that he wont be there, but after talking to the agent and the player, he has not told any team he wont report to them. T
Sounds like the 67's are big big fans of his if there is no Sean Day. If not maybe he works out a deal with Erie. Can the draft just be the 18th the day after the season is done please? lol

Old
03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Hockeyplayer9723

A little early, but does anyone have a list of sleepers for the draft?

Old
03-04-2013, 11:41 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Sorry Chewer, seen them both play all their minor midget games and as good as Sam is there is no comparison between the 2 of them. Dylan is closer to McDavid than he is to Bennett.
We agree to disagree. Bennett can skate with the OHL, and while Strome has the hands and vision, he still has to prove that he can skate with the OHL boys. You cant always play from the half wall in. The OHL is alot more than just PP.

Last edited by chewerjones: 03-04-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
As much as it kills me to agree with Chewer ....... nobody in this year’s draft will take Bennett’s centre position from him.
Thanks skating101.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:44 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of C Trojan View Post
Top 5 Mix: Ottawa, Erie, Petes, Mississauga, Kingston

Day, Konecney, Strome, Spencer, Crouse ( confirmed in Toronto Sun on Sunday that Ottawa will take Konencney ) Kingston working hard on Strome !

6 - 10 Mix: Niagara, Saginaw, Sudbury, North Bay, Sarnia

Korostelev, MacKenzie, Stephens, Henley, Capobianco

11 - 19 mix: Soo, Guelph, Kitchener, Oshawa, Barrie, Owen Sound, Plymouth, London

Speers (solidified to Soo) Defarias, McCool, Schlicting, Kries, Lizzote, Van Sompel, White

Any other talk on who may go where ?
Like your picks, but I dont think that DeFarius will be a first rounder.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:54 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer9723 View Post
A little early, but does anyone have a list of sleepers for the draft?
You guys all know who my sleeper is.

Alot of agents and scouts around the rinks have continued to say that this year is the Year of the Mistakes. Take that for what its worth.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Hockey Canada is the one you mean im sure? They make the call on Day. Still waiting on Korostelev 5 nations answer btw lol.

Rumours are starting to make their way out there. I have a feeling alot of posters will be quite surprised with the top 10 this year, let me just say that.
Players that dont get mentioned alot, but may find their way in the top 10 are Mcfadden, Kries and Stephens.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 AM
mapleleaf979

Strome in my view over the course of the season, has made great improvements in his skating ability and for me that bodes well for that area to continue to trend upwards. I mentioned his feet as one of his weaknesses in November on these boards because thats how I saw it. But I dont think its a factor anymore. If it was a serious issue, his draft stock would not be inside the Top 5. I have no reason to pretend something has changed if it hasnt, I try to be as honest as i can. Just my 2 cents on this. The different perspectives are quite interesting none the less.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 AM
RyanHPscout

Last year I was a little more active in this thread, but with the OHL Cup a week away I thought I'd just chime in and throw a few things out there.

I think Travis Konecny gets underrated a little bit. It's a tough thing to say when he's a consensus top 5 pick but that's the feeling I'm getting. It's easy for me to say because Elgin-Middlesex is one of the teams closest to me but I really feel he will surprise some that aren't quiet as high as him. I'm at the point where I try to focus more on the other top players in Elgin like Crouse, Worrad, Coyle, Mayo, Carroll, etc.

I've also noticed that there are a lot more guys than in previous years (atleast in my viewings) emerging later on in the season. It's going to shuffle things in comparison to where we expected some guys back in say, October.

I think there will be more sleepers on average than the last few years and although it isn't the strongest draft year, I think it's better than it's precieved.

Also looking forward to the OHL Cup. We'll have at least 4 scouts there, which is the most we've ever had in the time I've been with HockeyProspect.

Our Draft Guide is almost two weeks away from being send out. Thanks to the addition of a few very good scouts, our indication is that we'll have double the content we've had in previous years.

I say this every year, but I encourage anyone who may not get as much of a chance to see this age group and is able to get to the GTA to see this event to do so, even just for the day. It's very well run, you get to see all the best Minor Midget teams in Ontario playing on a pretty big end of season stage. For those that go on Friday, you get to see a bunch of Minor Midget games, then catch what could be a big OHL game at night for Mississauga.

I've actually got sick the last two years at the OHL Cup, I'm really hoping that third time is the charm that i'm 100% healthy (I haven't been sick since the end of the World U17's thankfully) through the whole event

I've skimmed through this thread and I'm glad the conversation is flowing a lot better. There was a lot of unnecessary negativity towards both kids and opinions last season, so I've stayed away in big part because I'm very busy and it's discouraging to see that stuff. So I'm really glad the people who have stuck around have kept it flowing on topic with great discussion!

Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 AM
mapleleaf979

I think Noah Carroll is one of those sleepers u mention RyanHP. I think alot of people are sleeping on him. Big with a physical edge. I think he is smart too, good skater. I think there is some interesting upside there. If he is still on the board in the 4th, someone is going to get a steal in my opinion. Id consider taking him in the late second round, third for sure.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-05-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 12:28 AM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I think Noah Carroll is one of those sleepers u mention RyanHP. I think alot of people are sleeping on him. Big with a physical edge. I think he is smart too. I think there is some interesting upside there. If he is still on the board in the 4th, someone is going to get a steal in my opinion. Id consider taking him in the late second round, third for sure.
Very good point, I felt Carroll may have bumped up his status a bit at the Alliance All-Star Game. He may not have been the best defenseman on the ice that game, but I felt like he showed he has a place right there with some of the better defencemen coming out of Alliance. Guys like White, Vande Sompel and Mayo have some separation but he should be right there with that next tier of defensemen.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:57 AM
defensehockey19

So comparing Konency and Strome cause I am torn on who I want the Petes to pursue...

Who do people think will make more of an immediate impact?

And I know it's early but as of now who does everyone think will have the better OHL career?

Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
So comparing Konency and Strome cause I am torn on who I want the Petes to pursue...

Who do people think will make more of an immediate impact?

And I know it's early but as of now who does everyone think will have the better OHL career?
Peter, your getting worked up. The Petes have traditionally taken bigger players that can be effective in the Memorial Centre. A player with speed can find it a tough place to play. Strome is the best fit because of his vision, his skating has improved.
I think the Petes take the best D and build from the back end.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
U of C Trojan

Also, the Petes are a "poor" organization and cannot offer the incentives that other teams offer.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Also, the Petes are a "poor" organization and cannot offer the incentives that other teams offer.
I heard this is not true anymore and has changed since the new board members have stepped in. Also on your other post I don't see them taking a dman when they will have trouble scoring goals next season but I could be wrong.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
JLowery

Quote:
Peter, your getting worked up. The Petes have traditionally taken bigger players that can be effective in the Memorial Centre. A player with speed can find it a tough place to play. Strome is the best fit because of his vision, his skating has improved.
I think the Petes take the best D and build from the back end.
Have to agree with you as I have been told they are looking for a strong Dman first.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:12 AM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
I heard this is not true anymore and has changed since the new board members have stepped in. Also on your other post I don't see them taking a dman when they will have trouble scoring goals next season but I could be wrong.
Trying to figure out what the Petes will do.....? thats a challenge. lol.
The Petes have to be fiscally responsible to the board and the tax payers ( which is a problem ). With ownership comes independant spending.
They are trying to sell the brand, which in todays world is a tough business decision.
I am sure the Petes will recover, but it will take time and will start with this draft. Whichever player they take will be a good one.
Whether its Konecney, Strome, Korostelev, Spencer or Stephens. Each brings their own value.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Trying to figure out what the Petes will do.....? thats a challenge. lol.
The Petes have to be fiscally responsible to the board and the tax payers ( which is a problem ). With ownership comes independant spending.
They are trying to sell the brand, which in todays world is a tough business decision.
I am sure the Petes will recover, but it will take time and will start with this draft. Whichever player they take will be a good one.
Whether its Konecney, Strome, Korostelev, Spencer or Stephens. Each brings their own value.
With them having 2 gold packages to hand out in this draft do you think that increases there chances in getting a solid 2nd rounder as well?

Closed Thread