2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 09:31 PM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Isn't there a connection between the bulls and Whitby Wildcats? Head coach of whitby is OHL commish David Branch and Assistant GM/Head scout of the bulls is David's son Barclay Branch? Hmmmmmmm........Maybe Bulls take Hayden McCool in the first 2 rounds?
McCool should be a first rounder.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Hell be gone before the bulls pick.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Saban should be a 2nd rounder.
I think its still possible. Early 3rd at the latest.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:34 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS1456Hockey View Post
Top ten only. In this draft after 10 its wide open.

1. Day
2. MacKenzie - Had a great weekend at the OMHA
3. Konecny
4. Spencer
5. Strome
6. Crouse
7. Stephens
8. Henley - also had a great weekend. Helped his stock.
9. Speers
10. Capobianco
Looks good to me. Stephens should go later, but a team will pick him in the top 10.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
I have to agree. London Gold should be there. Other than Helvig TRW has very few interesting prospects. Halton was avery good add to this tournament. This is all a last shot for a few Propects. Not much will change. The biggest mistakes are the ones made based on the final viewing or two. If scouts have a write up on a player based on 30 games 4 or 5 won't change much. It's the tail end of a long season for these kids and some teams are gassed.
Very true. No one will really care if a player has a bad game or two. Its been 6 long months, too much as been put into it. That said, if a player stands out, its a great opportunity.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
McCool should be a first rounder.
I would put money on McCool going in the first round. There is very few picks with his size and skill. Players like McCool can fill many rolls at the next level. Vesitility makes him attractive.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Crouse, McKenzie and McCool are very close. Crouse has a little less skill than the other 2. McKenzie is the best of the three.
Agreed. Mackenzie was a monster this weekend at the OMHA. He is a better selection than Crouse or McCool.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I would put money on McCool going in the first round. There is very few picks with his size and skill. Players like McCool can fill many rolls at the next level. Vesitility makes him attractive.
Agreed. I think u could make a case for Top 10 for McCool.

Quote:
Agreed. Mackenzie was a monster this weekend at the OMHA. He is a better selection than Crouse or McCool.
The hardest working player in the draft in my opinion for all the guys in the Top 10. Mackenzie will do everything in the hockey spectrum to win a game.

Quote:
Looks good to me. Stephens should go later, but a team will pick him in the top 10.
He sure seems to be locked with one team inside the top 10, thats for sure. I think it might be too early for him as well.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Very true. No one will really care if a player has a bad game or two. Its been 6 long months, too much as been put into it. That said, if a player stands out, its a great opportunity.
And then the OHL Combine. It's no surprise that many top 2 round players turn down an invite. Really pointless for them. Maybe pointless for many picks. In the last 4 weeks scouts have seen playoff hockey, tournament playoff hockey, then into the ohl cup, then the combine when many players are totally spent and are getting compare to,some invites that have been resting for weeks. No upside there for the players or scouts.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
chewerjones

I still think Korostolev will find his way in the top 10.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
I still think Korostolev will find his way in the top 10.
I'm not sold on that. Is he as complete as Strom, McKenzie or mcCool? If Stephens is in the top ten along with so many strong D he could slip past the top ten.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
I'm not sold on that. Is he as complete as Strom, McKenzie or mcCool? If Stephens is in the top ten along with so many strong D he could slip past the top ten.
He is a better finisher than all 3 and more of a hilite reel when he is on his game. Only problem is that he takes shifts off and has to compete a lot more. But maybe with the right team and right coach, he may be the complete offensive threat.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:10 PM
JansenHockey

Quote:
He is a better finisher than all 3 and more of a hilite reel when he is on his game. Only problem is that he takes shifts off and has to compete a lot more. But maybe with the right team and right coach, he may be the complete offensive threat.
No doubt the most skilled player and has great finish. I think you've made my point for me. ShiftS off and compete are major factors in top picks. You are right though. In the right hands he could be a monster.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
No doubt the most skilled player and has great finish. I think you've made my point for me. ShiftS off and compete are major factors in top picks. You are right though. In the right hands he could be a monster.
He can be compared to Stephens, but with more potential and ability.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
dantheleaffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
What about the players to watch this weekend
Brady Baker-COW
Impressed me a lot this weekend has great speed, great heads up player and showed his strength today.
3-5 round pick

Ryan Sarris-Whitby
Not a great showing rushes the puck and then is lost with what to do, great speed needs time with a Tier 2 team and then make the jump.
6-9 round pick
I personally think Ryan Sarris had an amazing game today against Oakville one of the best if not the best player on the ice for them today, hes been strong the past couple games. Only a couple small mistakes this weekend. Plays great defensively, is so patient with the puck and never gets nervous when pressured on the ice.

he will be a higher pick than you project him

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 PM
chewerjones

Erie is a few years away from a contender, and if I were Sherry Bassen, I would do what Kingston did 2 years ago. Take Spencer, and if he doesnt report, then trade him for some good draft picks, and prospects, and then get a complimentary pick for next year.

If they finish out of the playoffs again next year and end up with 2 top 4 picks, they may be able to walk away with Macleod and another franchise player to help McDavid and Erie build a contender in 2 years from now. The 98 crop may be just as good or better than this year's crop.

I dont know if there is any stipulation on the supplemental pick and if it can be any #. Maybe Tigers1992 or Mapleleaf can clarify that OHL rule?

Old
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I dont know if there is any stipulation on the supplemental pick and if it can be any #. Maybe Tigers1992 or Mapleleaf can clarify that OHL rule?
The rule for the compensatory pick is: one pick later, the following year. # doesnt matter. #1 becomes #2 the following year.

For example, In the Domi case he was #8 overall 2011, Kingston compensatory #9 2012.

The compensatory is from the league, you still take assets from the team the defected player goes too. In the Domi case- 3 second round picks.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:39 PM
chewerjones

It seemed to have worked for Kingston. However, it would have been nice to see what Domi would have done on the Frontenacs.

Old
03-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Gensfan9

Good to see the same ppl on here..chewer, tigers, petesfan, mapleleaf etc...Thought I would drop in again this year to give you my opinions on a few players. I have watched more omha this year then the gthl and know the Eta quite well. I caught the omha's this weekend and agree with some of the people on here and strongly disagree with others.

Mackenzie to me was the most complete player and the clear cut top forward for the weekend. I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of play in general and some kids didn't step up and perform when going head to head with the top team.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:05 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Good to see the same ppl on here..chewer, tigers, petesfan, mapleleaf etc...Thought I would drop in again this year to give you my opinions on a few players. I have watched more omha this year then the gthl and know the Eta quite well. I caught the omha's this weekend and agree with some of the people on here and strongly disagree with others.

Mackenzie to me was the most complete player and the clear cut top forward for the weekend. I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of play in general and some kids didn't step up and perform when going head to head with the top team.
I would agree 100% on MacKenzie. He never quit on a play and played both ends of the ice. I would also agree with the level of play. STA was terrible all weekend showing very little to the scouts. Oakville who was without question the most talented team would have costly breakdowns opening the door for the COW tie after only scoring two goals, both into the third period. They are better than 2 goals for in just about any game. Whitby was the most consistent team over the weekend and was in every game they played.

As I said in another post these player are tired and some are starting to show it.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
The rule for the compensatory pick is: one pick later, the following year. # doesnt matter. #1 becomes #2 the following year.

For example, In the Domi case he was #8 overall 2011, Kingston compensatory #9 2012.

The compensatory is from the league, you still take assets from the team the defected player goes too. In the Domi case- 3 second round picks.
You are right, however in the case of a top 4 pick there are qualifiers. Anytime you trade away a top 4 pick, be it #2 or #4, it always defaults to 5th. The league wants to protect the non playoff teams and ensure that they get first selection on the top players of the age group.

If Erie where to trade that pick (I highly doubt they will) then they would receive draft picks and the 5th overall pick next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:43 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
I would agree 100% on MacKenzie. He never quit on a play and played both ends of the ice. I would also agree with the level of play. STA was terrible all weekend showing very little to the scouts. Oakville who was without question the most talented team would have costly breakdowns opening the door for the COW tie after only scoring two goals, both into the third period. They are better than 2 goals for in just about any game. Whitby was the most consistent team over the weekend and was in every game they played.

As I said in another post these player are tired and some are starting to show it.
Can anyone who attended the OMHA's this weekend offer comments on the play of the players below.

Baird - STA
Lemcke - Whitby
MacArthur - Barrie
Sarris - Whitby

Old
03-11-2013, 07:48 AM
ontohockey

Quote:

Or, it could be the indication of some players already hit the ceiling? Whereas, some late bloomers start to show better...

Old
03-11-2013, 08:02 AM
JansenHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontohockey View Post
Or, it could be the indication of some players already hit the ceiling? Whereas, some late bloomers start to show better...
I think its premature to say a 15 yr old has hit the ceiling. These kids have a lot of time to grow and develop. Its about desire and effort and yes some of those late bloomers are going to give these top guys a good run. Just not in the draft.

I wasn't trying to paint a picture of doom for any player. MD on STA is still a top 2 round prospect. Oakville turing over the puck or making mistakes doesn't make anyone question their talent at every position. I do think a few players helped themselves this weekend. Bazowey on Oakville getting MVP can't hurt. Sarris on Whitby was also good. The weekend may move a player from early third to second, or from second into late first but no much more than that. No fifth to second moves after a good game or two.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Top ten only. In this draft after 10 its wide open.

1. Day
2. MacKenzie - Had a great weekend at the OMHA
3. Konecny
4. Spencer
5. Strome
6. Crouse
7. Stephens
8. Henley - also had a great weekend. Helped his stock.
9. Speers
10. Capobianco
Strome won't get by Kingston, take that to the bank.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:29 AM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheleaffan View Post
I personally think Ryan Sarris had an amazing game today against Oakville one of the best if not the best player on the ice for them today, hes been strong the past couple games. Only a couple small mistakes this weekend. Plays great defensively, is so patient with the puck and never gets nervous when pressured on the ice.

he will be a higher pick than you project him
I heard a few teams scouts/general managers talking about him this weekend, He played well this and moved himself up to the 3rd or 4th round IMO. I felt he was pressured once or twice by oakvilles forwards but his positives out weighed his negatives.

Closed Thread