HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey News rates Yakupov #2 & Schultz #8 Rookies to watch 2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
  #1
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey
 
HockeyOrDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Hockey News rates Yakupov #2 & Schultz #8 Rookies to watch 2013

"2. Nail Yakupov, Edmonton
The top pick in the draft is always going to be a Calder favorite and the first rookie to go in your draft. The problem is, they often get selected too early. Although Yakupov will probably be a Top 3 rookie scorer, chances are you can get one of the other two in a much later round."

"8. Justin Schultz, Edmonton
Ridiculously and embarrassingly good in the American League, Schultz will hope to have even half that impact at the highest level. Tremendous upside."


Agree or disagree? Personally I would have Schultz ahead of Yakupov for potential impact this year and would rank him alot higher than 8th.

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  #2
CantHaveTkachev
Last Again
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,358
vCash: 314
who's #1?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  #3
nabob
Registered User
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,671
vCash: 500
Probably Reilly.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
  #4
The Head Crusher
Retired
 
The Head Crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 383
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
or Tarasenko

__________________
The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:07 PM
  #5
McOilers4cup
Finally
 
McOilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: High Hopes
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 400
Grandlund Fantasy top ten

McOilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
  #6
McOilers4cup
Finally
 
McOilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: High Hopes
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,451
vCash: 400
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...3-rookies.html

McOilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:09 PM
  #7
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey
 
HockeyOrDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Sorry, here's the link:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...3-rookies.html

"1. Mikael Granlund, Minnesota
Last year he would have competed in the rookie scoring race. This year he wins it hands down. You saw it here first. Actually, you saw it here 10th - his skill is so obvious that many prognosticators are picking him"

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
  #8
OILSLICK94
Registered User
 
OILSLICK94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 874
vCash: 500
This guy (Dobber) www.dobbershockey.com has his own fantasy site, these rankings are just fantasy rankings.....

Surprised that Schultz is so low, personally.

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
  #9
Turrican*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 500
Oh ya, he will definitely score in bunches on that high powered Minny offense.
30th in the league for G/G last year.
26th the year before.
20th before that.
22nd before that.

He will definitely get 40 points playing in that high octane offensive system.

How can he score when he will be busy sitting on his own blueline waiting for us to bring the puck to him?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:19 PM
  #10
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Oh ya, he will definitely score in bunches on that high powered Minny offense.
30th in the league for G/G last year.
26th the year before.
20th before that.
22nd before that.

He will definitely get 40 points playing in that high octane offensive system.

How can he score when he will be busy sitting on his own blueline waiting for us to bring the puck to him?
They got parise and suter to compliment heatley and koivu

I think they will be a solid team

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:28 PM
  #11
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Oh ya, he will definitely score in bunches on that high powered Minny offense.
30th in the league for G/G last year.
26th the year before.
20th before that.
22nd before that.

He will definitely get 40 points playing in that high octane offensive system.
How can he score when he will be busy sitting on his own blueline waiting for us to bring the puck to him?
40 points in a full season? Or 40 points in 48 games?

Scoring at that pace would be a runaway Calder victory. IMO this season's Calder race will be tighter than most years. I just don't see in overly dominant player in this year's class. Unless Schultz continues his pace in the NHL, of course.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
  #12
Turrican*
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
40 points in a full season? Or 40 points in 48 games?

Scoring at that pace would be a runaway Calder victory. IMO this season's Calder race will be tighter than most years. I just don't see in overly dominant player in this year's class. Unless Schultz continues his pace in the NHL, of course.
Ya I was being sarcastic.
But that's how people are overrating him to the moon.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:31 PM
  #13
Pointteen
Registered User
 
Pointteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Oh ya, he will definitely score in bunches on that high powered Minny offense.
30th in the league for G/G last year.
26th the year before.
20th before that.
22nd before that.

He will definitely get 40 points playing in that high octane offensive system.

How can he score when he will be busy sitting on his own blueline waiting for us to bring the puck to him?
Times are changing. They will likely have a pretty potent power play. I don't expect to see them sit on many one goal leads either. Minnesota may become beatable if they open up their system a bit more.


Also, Schultz below Huberdeau? Am I the only one thinking he is getting overrated? I know he is a prime talent, but Schultz was playing half an hour a night and got 48 points!

I feel like he should be higher even than Yakupov.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:36 PM
  #14
oilersrule14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointteen View Post
Times are changing. They will likely have a pretty potent power play. I don't expect to see them sit on many one goal leads either. Minnesota may become beatable if they open up their system a bit more.


Also, Schultz below Huberdeau? Am I the only one thinking he is getting overrated? I know he is a prime talent, but Schultz was playing half an hour a night and got 48 points!

I feel like he should be higher even than Yakupov.
He's ranking based on who you should pick for a fantasy draft though. Most pools are just points-based, so that's probably why all those forwards are ahead of the defenceman in his ranking. At least that's my guess. If we were talking about Calder, I think Schultz would be one of the top, if not the the top, candidate in most people's minds.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
  #15
Pointteen
Registered User
 
Pointteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
That makes more sense. I can't argue my point as much then.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:55 PM
  #16
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey
 
HockeyOrDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 98
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
He's ranking based on who you should pick for a fantasy draft though. Most pools are just points-based, so that's probably why all those forwards are ahead of the defenceman in his ranking. At least that's my guess. If we were talking about Calder, I think Schultz would be one of the top, if not the the top, candidate in most people's minds.
But Schultz has been a point producing machine and would have broken records in the AHL this year.

Obviously the NHL is a completely different story, but I think he'll be up somewhere near the top of the rookie scoring race, especially if he gets significant time on the #1 PP.

HockeyOrDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  #17
MisterD
5-14-6-1
 
MisterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 9,460
vCash: 50
I see Granlund as a Samsonov type player, and coincidentally, I think he did win the calder.

MisterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:39 PM
  #18
No Good Names Left
Registered User
 
No Good Names Left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyOrDie View Post
Sorry, here's the link:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...3-rookies.html

"1. Mikael Granlund, Minnesota
Last year he would have competed in the rookie scoring race. This year he wins it hands down. You saw it here first. Actually, you saw it here 10th - his skill is so obvious that many prognosticators are picking him"
The amount of really good rookies this year is mind boggling.

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:47 PM
  #19
Seanconn*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Surprised to see Schultz so low. My top three would be Granlund, Huberdeau and Schultz. Great to see Sven on the list as well - really excited to see him play this year.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
  #20
Shanahanigans
Registered User
 
Shanahanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,624
vCash: 500
Don' understand the media and HF's infatuation with Grandlund. I like him, he's a really good prospect, but he's become quite overrated pretty quickly.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
  #21
MCDAVIDISH
Registered User
 
MCDAVIDISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Don' understand the media and HF's infatuation with Grandlund. I like him, he's a really good prospect, but he's become quite overrated pretty quickly.
Ya.. It seems Yakupov was playing just as good in a tougher league this season, Granlund is also quite smaller so his adaption might be an issue and his team is also not quite as offensive as the Oilers will be. If anything I'd say Tarasenko is better.

MCDAVIDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
  #22
Crabapple
Registered User
 
Crabapple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 398
I like Granlund, I really do I think he's going to have a great career. But that being said I think Schultz, Yak, and Tarasenko will be better this season

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #23
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,852
vCash: 500
Seems like Yak is not getting much love this year. Galchenyuk seems to be doing really good this year. Who do you guys think will be the better player 5 yrs from now?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
  #24
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,560
vCash: 50
Saw TSN's predictions, Schultz at #1 and Yak at #4. That looks more like it to me!!

Fayne Gretzky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:29 PM
  #25
McOkMcgoMcoil
Registered User
 
McOkMcgoMcoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Granlund is a stud, but, I don't see why exaclty he is #1. Shultz had a way more impressive half year in the AHL. Tarasenko tore up the KHL. I mean, what did Granlund do to be #1?

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.