HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Avs vs Blues: Who has the better group of forwards?

View Poll Results: well
Avs 73 34.76%
Blues 127 60.48%
even 10 4.76%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
  #76
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Last year:
Blues forwards scored 175 goals
Avs forwards scored 183 goals

Very close, with ROR, and until Tarasenko proves himself in the NHL, I'd take Colorado, but I wouldn't at all be shocked if that changes by the end of this year.

How many games did Perron, AMac and Steen miss? The Blues were a top 10 scoring team once everybody was back. Plus Stewie had a turd of a year. I doubt he'll be that bad again. Plus you are adding Tarasenko and Schwartz. Schwartz looks awesome so far too.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
  #77
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
As it stands right now, its pretty close. Top 6 is pretty even, but I would give the Blues the advantage in bottom 6.

So for now its the Blues, but the Avs have by far the highest potential in offense. Duchene is still very likely to become at least a 70-80 point guy consistently. Landy also has 75 point potential still, and Stastny has proven to be a PPG guy in the past. No player on the Blues has PPG potential like these 3 guys do.

So if these guys get to where they should, then the Avs will be the easy choice, but for now its the Blues.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:03 AM
  #78
FilthyNote*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Last year:
Blues forwards scored 175 goals
Avs forwards scored 183 goals

Very close, with ROR, and until Tarasenko proves himself in the NHL, I'd take Colorado, but I wouldn't at all be shocked if that changes by the end of this year.

I guess it's all about goals to some people but the Blues easily have one of the best groups of two-way forwards in the league. Their entire defensive game is unparalleled.


Completely un-related to the quoted text but I can see why some Blues fans wouldn't trade Tarasenko or Schwartz for Landeskog. Landy has ONE year under his belt and is not proven at all. Just as un-probvn as Schwartz and Tank in my opinion. The little bit we saw of Schwartz in the NHL last season was pretty awesome. That kid can play hockey. Tank? Who knows but he tears up the KHL. I know, I know... different league, different game. All I am saying is I understand it. Landeskog is not this shoe-in for the HOF or anything. He has one great year. Let's see it continue before we start claiming he is worth Wayne Gretzky's semen.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:39 AM
  #79
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
As it stands right now, its pretty close. Top 6 is pretty even, but I would give the Blues the advantage in bottom 6.

So for now its the Blues, but the Avs have by far the highest potential in offense. Duchene is still very likely to become at least a 70-80 point guy consistently. Landy also has 75 point potential still, and Stastny has proven to be a PPG guy in the past. No player on the Blues has PPG potential like these 3 guys do.

So if these guys get to where they should, then the Avs will be the easy choice, but for now its the Blues.


Don't agree with that at all. Perron, Oshie and Berglund will keep getting better and Tarasenko and Schwartz have very high ceilings. Backes and Steen are probably maxed out, but they are great 2 way players who are 25-30 G scorers. AMac has 2-3 very good years left. The Blues also have Rattie and Jaskin tearing it up in their system too. Both are high end players.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:43 AM
  #80
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
How many games did Perron, AMac and Steen miss? The Blues were a top 10 scoring team once everybody was back. Plus Stewie had a turd of a year. I doubt he'll be that bad again. Plus you are adding Tarasenko and Schwartz. Schwartz looks awesome so far too.
I hate arguments like this.... pointing out only the bad things that happened to your team last year, and then only pointing out that positive changes to your team.

1) Games Missed- How many games did Duchene miss? Also, what makes you think MacDonald plays a full season this year? An injury prone guy at 25 is going to get healthy at 36?

2) Top 10 once everyone was back- That may be true, and I don't know that it is... but taking a smaller sample size is never getting you more accurate. We have a season's set of data, taking a portion of a season doesn't bring greater validity.

3) Stewart- Yes, he can have bad of a season. He could have a better season. He could have a worse season. Guys who had good seasons for you last year (or Colorado or any team) might regress. See, that's the problem with this thinking. You assume every player's season last year was a baseline, that in no way can go down, but yet you find reasons why they can go up. For every injured guy returning you'll have a healthy guy from last year getting injured. For every guy who had a subpar season last year and rebyouounds, you'll have a guy who has a subpar season this year.

4) Yup they've added Tarasenko and Schwartz who I think will both be very good some day. There's no proof they'll be very good this year. And you neglected to add that the Avs have added Parenteau. Why did you include positive changes for your team, but not the other? Parenteau had 67 pts in the NHL last year. He would have led the Blues in scoring. Now who knows if he'll do that with the Avs, but his chances of putting up 60 pts this year (well, prorated, so let's say 35) are certainly better than unknowns like Tarasenko and Schwartz. I don't doubt that Tarasenko will have a better career than PA but I do doubt that he'll be better this year.

To sum it up.... it's close. I could see either team being the pick here, but your particular reasons amount to: My team is better because I'm going to look at my team in the best light and the other team in the worst light.

I just don't think that's the way to do it.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:46 AM
  #81
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
You mean Blues now vs Colorado in the late 99 early

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:51 AM
  #82
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
I guess it's all about goals to some people but the Blues easily have one of the best groups of two-way forwards in the league. Their entire defensive game is unparalleled.
1) No it's not all about goals, but it's one thing to look at.
2) Saying "Their entire defensive game is unparalleled." is saying, literally that no other team in the league can compare defensively. I'd argue that the Bruins, with Bergeron, Lucic, Kelly, Peverly, Paille, Krejci et al are at least as good and certainly are a "parallel" to the Blues.

LOL I also like how someone who isn't a fan of either team picks one, gives legit evidence why, says it's very close and could easily change, and yet the fans of the team that wasn't picked gets up in arms about it.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:34 AM
  #83
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I hate arguments like this.... pointing out only the bad things that happened to your team last year, and then only pointing out that positive changes to your team.

1) Games Missed- How many games did Duchene miss? Also, what makes you think MacDonald plays a full season this year? An injury prone guy at 25 is going to get healthy at 36?

2) Top 10 once everyone was back- That may be true, and I don't know that it is... but taking a smaller sample size is never getting you more accurate. We have a season's set of data, taking a portion of a season doesn't bring greater validity.

3) Stewart- Yes, he can have bad of a season. He could have a better season. He could have a worse season. Guys who had good seasons for you last year (or Colorado or any team) might regress. See, that's the problem with this thinking. You assume every player's season last year was a baseline, that in no way can go down, but yet you find reasons why they can go up. For every injured guy returning you'll have a healthy guy from last year getting injured. For every guy who had a subpar season last year and rebyouounds, you'll have a guy who has a subpar season this year.
I'm sure someone will have a down year but I think we're all expecting Stewart to play much better this year. He spent a lot of time in the gym over the summer and said this is the leanest he's ever been. He lost about 15 pounds, so he has put in the work to be better. Also when your 3 of your most offensive players are hurt at the same time (Perron, Mcdonald, Steen) it's surely going to hurt your offensive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
4) Yup they've added Tarasenko and Schwartz who I think will both be very good some day. There's no proof they'll be very good this year. And you neglected to add that the Avs have added Parenteau. Why did you include positive changes for your team, but not the other? Parenteau had 67 pts in the NHL last year. He would have led the Blues in scoring. Now who knows if he'll do that with the Avs, but his chances of putting up 60 pts this year (well, prorated, so let's say 35) are certainly better than unknowns like Tarasenko and Schwartz. I don't doubt that Tarasenko will have a better career than PA but I do doubt that he'll be better this year.

To sum it up.... it's close. I could see either team being the pick here, but your particular reasons amount to: My team is better because I'm going to look at my team in the best light and the other team in the worst light.

I just don't think that's the way to do it.
I hate this argument. He may have had more points than any Blue but he certainly wouldn't have led the Blues in scoring had he been on St. Louis. He would have been forced to play a different game and not had the opportunity to play with Tavares.

As for who will have a better year, Tarasenko will have the opportunity to put up points playing with Steen and Mcdonald and he was putting up points on the third and fourth lines in the KHL. I don't know who Parenteau will be playing with, but if it was for this year and this year only, I would still take Tarasenko over Parenteau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
1) No it's not all about goals, but it's one thing to look at.
2) Saying "Their entire defensive game is unparalleled." is saying, literally that no other team in the league can compare defensively. I'd argue that the Bruins, with Bergeron, Lucic, Kelly, Peverly, Paille, Krejci et al are at least as good and certainly are a "parallel" to the Blues.

LOL I also like how someone who isn't a fan of either team picks one, gives legit evidence why, says it's very close and could easily change, and yet the fans of the team that wasn't picked gets up in arms about it.
The Blues did set records defensively last year..

I don't think anyone is 'up in arms' over what you said. It's just you brought up the total goals scored by the forwards. Sure Duchene missed some games, but all three of Perron, Steen and Mcdonald missed more games than him and had a much better PPG avg. I think it's safe to say had all four played the whole season, St. Louis' forwards would have put up more goals.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
  #84
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
LOL I also like how someone who isn't a fan of either team picks one, gives legit evidence why, says it's very close and could easily change, and yet the fans of the team that wasn't picked gets up in arms about it.
LOL I also like how you come in every Blues thread and try to knock em down.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:00 AM
  #85
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,371
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
I guess it's all about goals to some people but the Blues easily have one of the best groups of two-way forwards in the league. Their entire defensive game is unparalleled.


Completely un-related to the quoted text but I can see why some Blues fans wouldn't trade Tarasenko or Schwartz for Landeskog. Landy has ONE year under his belt and is not proven at all. Just as un-probvn as Schwartz and Tank in my opinion. The little bit we saw of Schwartz in the NHL last season was pretty awesome. That kid can play hockey. Tank? Who knows but he tears up the KHL. I know, I know... different league, different game. All I am saying is I understand it. Landeskog is not this shoe-in for the HOF or anything. He has one great year. Let's see it continue before we start claiming he is worth Wayne Gretzky's semen.


Your posts are always top notch.

Anyway on to the topic at hand, the avs have better offense while the Blues are better all around. It's a toss up really but I think I'd rather have the Blues for now, the avs down the road.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:52 AM
  #86
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Avs better top six , Blues' better bottom six..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:56 AM
  #87
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 22,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
3 of the Blues top 6 forwards missed significant time with McDonald(25g),Steen(43g) and Perron(57g) combining for only 125 games played last season. I think this has led quite a few people to assume they have some kind of popgun offense when they were just missing a serious chunk of their firepower up front. Now they're adding Tarasenko and most likely Schwartz as well.

Here is the thing when somebody gets injured. If Player A misses X amount of games that means Player B gets more of a chance to play. Given those 3 players missed a season and a half worth of games, that means there is 1 and a half players who probably came off looking better and will have lesser seasons if the guys you mentioned do come to the lineup and play relatively full seasons. In the case of Perron and McDonald if they both are in the lineup, some players are losing PP time for instance(Backes for instance had 17 PP points, if he all of a sudden gets less PP time expect that to drop)


Last edited by boredmale: 01-19-2013 at 12:01 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
  #88
TK 421
Donut Squad
 
TK 421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I hate arguments like this.... pointing out only the bad things that happened to your team last year, and then only pointing out that positive changes to your team.

1) Games Missed- How many games did Duchene miss? Also, what makes you think MacDonald plays a full season this year? An injury prone guy at 25 is going to get healthy at 36?

2) Top 10 once everyone was back- That may be true, and I don't know that it is... but taking a smaller sample size is never getting you more accurate. We have a season's set of data, taking a portion of a season doesn't bring greater validity.

3) Stewart- Yes, he can have bad of a season. He could have a better season. He could have a worse season. Guys who had good seasons for you last year (or Colorado or any team) might regress. See, that's the problem with this thinking. You assume every player's season last year was a baseline, that in no way can go down, but yet you find reasons why they can go up. For every injured guy returning you'll have a healthy guy from last year getting injured. For every guy who had a subpar season last year and rebyouounds, you'll have a guy who has a subpar season this year.

4) Yup they've added Tarasenko and Schwartz who I think will both be very good some day. There's no proof they'll be very good this year. And you neglected to add that the Avs have added Parenteau. Why did you include positive changes for your team, but not the other? Parenteau had 67 pts in the NHL last year. He would have led the Blues in scoring. Now who knows if he'll do that with the Avs, but his chances of putting up 60 pts this year (well, prorated, so let's say 35) are certainly better than unknowns like Tarasenko and Schwartz. I don't doubt that Tarasenko will have a better career than PA but I do doubt that he'll be better this year.

To sum it up.... it's close. I could see either team being the pick here, but your particular reasons amount to: My team is better because I'm going to look at my team in the best light and the other team in the worst light.

I just don't think that's the way to do it.
Duchene went .48 ppg through 58 games last year. Perron went .73 ppg through 57 games. McDonald is a career .72 and went .88 while playing some of the best hockey of his career. Parenteau went .83, Stastny .67, ROR .67 and Landeskog went .63.

Oshie went .67, Backes and Steen both did .65, Berglund went .46 and Stewart went .37.

Even if McDonald doesn't play a full season, the point is he has a higher ppg average than anyone on the Avs proven over a much longer period of time. Over a short season this is even more magnified. Perron also figures to score at a better clip than most Avs forwards. What is so difficult to understand here?

How many top 6 forwards missed time for the Avs this past season? McDonald played 25,Steen-43 and Perron played a whole whopping 57 games. That's a combined total of 125 games from 3 guys who are absolutely top 6 forwards point wise for the Blues. Amongst Avs forwards Duchene missed the most playing only 58 games but only scored at a .48 pace. The 3 Blues top 6'ers scored at a .88, .73 and .65 clips respectively and ALL missed more time than ANY Avs top 6er. So you were saying?

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
  #89
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,629
vCash: 500
Whenever there's a thread involving the Blues and Avs it always turns into a pissing match. Relax guys, we're all friends here.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:28 PM
  #90
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Whenever there's a thread involving the Blues and Avs it always turns into a pissing match. Relax guys, we're all friends here.
NO WE'RE NOT

sarcasm

Rhaego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
  #91
TK 421
Donut Squad
 
TK 421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Here is the thing when somebody gets injured. If Player A misses X amount of games that means Player B gets more of a chance to play. Given those 3 players missed a season and a half worth of games, that means there is 1 and a half players who probably came off looking better and will have lesser seasons if the guys you mentioned do come to the lineup and play relatively full seasons. In the case of Perron and McDonald if they both are in the lineup, some players are losing PP time for instance(Backes for instance had 17 PP points, if he all of a sudden gets less PP time expect that to drop)
Thanks for stopping in Captain Obvious. No where did I suggest that everyone would improve on last seasons totals. The point is that in a short season, ppg should be even more magnified with guys only geting 48 games to show what they can do.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:47 PM
  #92
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post

I don't think anyone is 'up in arms' over what you said. It's just you brought up the total goals scored by the forwards. Sure Duchene missed some games, but all three of Perron, Steen and Mcdonald missed more games than him and had a much better PPG avg. I think it's safe to say had all four played the whole season, St. Louis' forwards would have put up more goals.

I don't think that is safe to say at all, unless you are giving every team in the league that advantage of having all of their top players healthy available for every game. Until you do that, then the argument of "this guy missed games" is lame.

And the stuff about Stewart... every fan of every team can say the same exact thing about their underperforming player too. I'm so happy to hear that he worked out, because I'm sure the other 700 NHL players weren't working out at all. This will surely propel him to a great year. But see, again you are using this kind of "bright side of things" with your guy but not the other team's. Look at Hejduk. Can't an Avs fan say, "He had his worst year ever last year. He's bound to bounce back, plus he has a much longer track record of success than Stewart. Also, this short season is perfect for an old guy like him."

See what I mean? It's spin, and I'm sure that deep in your baby blue heart you believe it completely, but it's just as likely that Stewart has another bad year.

Meanwhile, I'd absolutely LOVE to bet you on who has more pts this year between Tarasenko and Parenteau? Up for it?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:52 PM
  #93
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Duchene went .48 ppg through 58 games last year. Perron went .73 ppg through 57 games. McDonald is a career .72 and went .88 while playing some of the best hockey of his career. Parenteau went .83, Stastny .67, ROR .67 and Landeskog went .63.

Oshie went .67, Backes and Steen both did .65, Berglund went .46 and Stewart went .37.

Even if McDonald doesn't play a full season, the point is he has a higher ppg average than anyone on the Avs proven over a much longer period of time. Over a short season this is even more magnified. Perron also figures to score at a better clip than most Avs forwards. What is so difficult to understand here?

How many top 6 forwards missed time for the Avs this past season? McDonald played 25,Steen-43 and Perron played a whole whopping 57 games. That's a combined total of 125 games from 3 guys who are absolutely top 6 forwards point wise for the Blues. Amongst Avs forwards Duchene missed the most playing only 58 games but only scored at a .48 pace. The 3 Blues top 6'ers scored at a .88, .73 and .65 clips respectively and ALL missed more time than ANY Avs top 6er. So you were saying?
I'm saying that the Avs F scored more goals than the Blues. I didn't think that was really all the controversial, especially since, you know, it's true. Sure, I'm sure AMac's ppg numbers are wonderful. How many pts does he actually score?

In my world an actual real goal scored on ice counts more than a pro rated goal scored from the pressbox or locker room whirlpool.. I guess in yours they are equal.

That's what I'm saying.

Again, it's close. I totally agree with the depth of STL being better and that at the end of the season, if Tarasenko comes through, it could absolutely be STL.

Apparently that's heretical thinking.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:56 PM
  #94
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK 421 View Post
Thanks for stopping in Captain Obvious. No where did I suggest that everyone would improve on last seasons totals. The point is that in a short season, ppg should be even more magnified with guys only geting 48 games to show what they can do.
There's zero evidence to believe that to be true (that a shortened season means ppg is magnified, whatever that means). If anything, in a shortened season, ppg is less meaningful as a smaller number of games means stats will have more variance than normal. This may mean a player has a much higher ppg than last year if he goes on a hot streak, but it could be less as a cold streak will be much more devastating with 1/2 a season.

Again, as I said in another post, reducing a sample size gives you less accuracy. Period.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  #95
FilthyNote*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
1) No it's not all about goals, but it's one thing to look at.
Sorry. I thought when you posted goal totals then used that as justification for your vote that you were using goal totals to justify your vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't think that is safe to say at all, unless you are giving every team in the league that advantage of having all of their top players healthy available for every game. Until you do that, then the argument of "this guy missed games" is lame.

And the stuff about Stewart... every fan of every team can say the same exact thing about their underperforming player too. I'm so happy to hear that he worked out, because I'm sure the other 700 NHL players weren't working out at all. This will surely propel him to a great year. But see, again you are using this kind of "bright side of things" with your guy but not the other team's. Look at Hejduk. Can't an Avs fan say, "He had his worst year ever last year. He's bound to bounce back, plus he has a much longer track record of success than Stewart. Also, this short season is perfect for an old guy like him."

See what I mean? It's spin, and I'm sure that deep in your baby blue heart you believe it completely, but it's just as likely that Stewart has another bad year.

Meanwhile, I'd absolutely LOVE to bet you on who has more pts this year between Tarasenko and Parenteau? Up for it?
So out of everything that people have been pointing out to you the only thing you have to pick on is Stewart? Really? Ugh... It's obvious you can ignore facts when they are presented to you and only pick an intangable topic to argue whe you reply.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
  #96
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
Don't agree with that at all. Perron, Oshie and Berglund will keep getting better and Tarasenko and Schwartz have very high ceilings. Backes and Steen are probably maxed out, but they are great 2 way players who are 25-30 G scorers. AMac has 2-3 very good years left. The Blues also have Rattie and Jaskin tearing it up in their system too. Both are high end players.
Perron Oshie and Berglund are pretty close to maxed out, there in there mid twenties, they don't have much developing left. Tarasenko and Schwartz are good prospects and probably do have 70 point potential, but they're not as good as Duchene, Landeskog, or arguably Stastny.

And the Avs have Sgarbossa who looks just as good if not better then Rattie, and Hishon who if he can stay healthy will be a solid top 6 guy too.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:51 PM
  #97
re5piration
'67 til
 
re5piration's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,408
vCash: 500
avs have better talent up front

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:33 PM
  #98
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I don't think that is safe to say at all, unless you are giving every team in the league that advantage of having all of their top players healthy available for every game. Until you do that, then the argument of "this guy missed games" is lame.

And the stuff about Stewart... every fan of every team can say the same exact thing about their underperforming player too. I'm so happy to hear that he worked out, because I'm sure the other 700 NHL players weren't working out at all. This will surely propel him to a great year. But see, again you are using this kind of "bright side of things" with your guy but not the other team's. Look at Hejduk. Can't an Avs fan say, "He had his worst year ever last year. He's bound to bounce back, plus he has a much longer track record of success than Stewart. Also, this short season is perfect for an old guy like him."

See what I mean? It's spin, and I'm sure that deep in your baby blue heart you believe it completely, but it's just as likely that Stewart has another bad year.

Meanwhile, I'd absolutely LOVE to bet you on who has more pts this year between Tarasenko and Parenteau? Up for it?
How is it not safe to say that at all? Had Perron, Mcdonald, and Steen played even as many games as Duchene (58) then the Blues would have easily passed Colorado for goals scored. I'm not going to look up who else missed time for Colorado, so unless you want to tell me who else did then it is safe to say St. Louis would have scored more.

Sure, I'll take your bet. What are we betting? Bragging rights?

As for Stewart, it was obvious he didn't work out as hard last year. He said this is the hardest he's worked out and the best he's ever looked and felt. Stewart had the worst statistical year of his career last year, even worse than his rookie year. He's supposed to be coming into his prime right now which is completely different from Hejduk who is coming to the end of his career.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
  #99
stlblues9
Registered User
 
stlblues9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Perron Oshie and Berglund are pretty close to maxed out, there in there mid twenties, they don't have much developing left. Tarasenko and Schwartz are good prospects and probably do have 70 point potential, but they're not as good as Duchene, Landeskog, or arguably Stastny.

And the Avs have Sgarbossa who looks just as good if not better then Rattie, and Hishon who if he can stay healthy will be a solid top 6 guy too.
Swedes tend to develop late and bigger players tend to develop late. Berglund could very well break out in the next couple of years.

Last year, Perron was having a really good year once he game back from injury and he was starting to put up good numbers before he got hurt. He can still become a 70-75 point player.

Why do people keep dismissing Tarasenko and saying Landeskog is so much better and Tarasenko won't be as good as him? Just last year Landeskog was just as unproven. Tarasenko could just as easily have as good of a year, or even a better one. I'm not saying he will for sure, but at one point in everyones career, they're all unproven.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
  #100
bottomofthefoodchain
Registered User
 
bottomofthefoodchain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Good to know that Radar has peeked at the age of 21.
Landeskog peaked before he was even drafted

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.