HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Avs vs Blues: Who has the better group of forwards?

View Poll Results: well
Avs 73 34.76%
Blues 127 60.48%
even 10 4.76%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2013, 07:53 PM
PAZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Landeskog peaked before he was even drafted
He's declining right now. Will be in the AHL in 2 years.

Have to say right now the Blues have a slightly better forward group overall. Couple of years it's a coin flip.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:54 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
He's a third line center in the top half of the league, he's one of the better third line centers in the league, it doesn't matter how you phrase it. He's gonna score ~30 points, while providing good shutdown defense. That's a typical third line center, regardless of how good that defense is.
I just can't tell if you're ****ing with me right now or not.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:17 AM
cgf

The Blues have better depth, but the Avs depth is getting under-rated. Downie, McGinn, Jones and PAP are all good top 6 wingers, Duke looks a lot quicker than he did last year, lending credence to the theory that he was playing through an injury, and with Trolver and Sgarbossa they have two good youngins on the brink of making it themselves. If Radar is back the Avs top 9 absolutely matches up with the Blues top 9, even though Stl clearly has the better 4th line.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:02 AM
BlueDream

Lol at the guy who think's he's tough for betting that the BIG BAD P.A. Parenteau will have more points than Tarasenko.

Yeah ok. I'd take that bet as well.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
tony d
The Future

The Blues

01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Lol at the guy who think's he's tough for betting that the BIG BAD P.A. Parenteau will have more points than Tarasenko.

Yeah ok. I'd take that bet as well.
Yeah after one night its clearly been decided

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:09 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Yeah after one night its clearly been decided
Yes because that's exactly what I said...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
How is it not safe to say that at all? Had Perron, Mcdonald, and Steen played even as many games as Duchene (58) then the Blues would have easily passed Colorado for goals scored. I'm not going to look up who else missed time for Colorado, so unless you want to tell me who else did then it is safe to say St. Louis would have scored more.

Sure, I'll take your bet. What are we betting? Bragging rights?

As for Stewart, it was obvious he didn't work out as hard last year. He said this is the hardest he's worked out and the best he's ever looked and felt. Stewart had the worst statistical year of his career last year, even worse than his rookie year. He's supposed to be coming into his prime right now which is completely different from Hejduk who is coming to the end of his career.

Bumping this because:

1) Avs Fs had more goals than StL F- 109 to 104
2) Parenteau had more points than Tarasenko 43 to 19

Let me state the obvious before someone moves goalposts here:

a) Tarasenko will be a far far better player than Parenteau in the years to come. The kid is something very special.

b) StL is (obviously) a much much better team than Colorado and I'd take their roster over Colorado's 101 times out of 100

c) Stewart had a big bounce back year and Blues fans were 100% correct when they spent the last offseason turning down offers for him because they thought he'd bounce back. You were correctamundo in a big way.

d) StL got way more offense from their blue line, and with Bouwmeester added that d corps is scary.

e) You have a very bright future with a lot of scary good prospects (what a steal with Jaskin!)

Good luck to the Blues in the playoffs. I think you'll have a great series against the Kings. It's one of the series I'm most looking forward to see, and if I'm a top 3 seed I don't want any part of either the 4 or 5 out west.

But give this to me: I was correct about claims 1 and 2 above.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:04 PM
sbet1998

5 goal difference... I dont know if I can give it to you. Blues have much better 2-way forwards and play in a much different system. Sacco's "system" would obviously result in more goals for and against.

Negates that 5 goal diff, imo.

sbet1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:09 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

FilthyNote, it took you fifty posts to chime in here.

I'm profoundly disappointed.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:33 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Bumping this because:

1) Avs Fs had more goals than StL F- 109 to 104
2) Parenteau had more points than Tarasenko 43 to 19

Let me state the obvious before someone moves goalposts here:

a) Tarasenko will be a far far better player than Parenteau in the years to come. The kid is something very special.

b) StL is (obviously) a much much better team than Colorado and I'd take their roster over Colorado's 101 times out of 100

c) Stewart had a big bounce back year and Blues fans were 100% correct when they spent the last offseason turning down offers for him because they thought he'd bounce back. You were correctamundo in a big way.

d) StL got way more offense from their blue line, and with Bouwmeester added that d corps is scary.

e) You have a very bright future with a lot of scary good prospects (what a steal with Jaskin!)

Good luck to the Blues in the playoffs. I think you'll have a great series against the Kings. It's one of the series I'm most looking forward to see, and if I'm a top 3 seed I don't want any part of either the 4 or 5 out west.

But give this to me: I was correct about claims 1 and 2 above.
Tarasenko had a disappointing year. Parenteau was better than I expected him to be, but in the end you were right and I was wrong.

I didn't look back into the thread to look at what the forward depth argument was but a few Blues had very disappointing years. Mainly Backes, Tarasenko, Mcdonald, and Berglund a little bit.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:55 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Tarasenko had a disappointing year. Parenteau was better than I expected him to be, but in the end you were right and I was wrong.

I didn't look back into the thread to look at what the forward depth argument was but a few Blues had very disappointing years. Mainly Backes, Tarasenko, Mcdonald, and Berglund a little bit.
Interesting you said Berglund. I figured his numbers were pretty good. I think Tarasenko getting hurt set him back. He started off so unbelievably hot, would have been nice to see him get a real run at the Calder.

Would not be shocked to see a 4 seed vs. 4 seed in the finals.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:39 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Interesting you said Berglund. I figured his numbers were pretty good. I think Tarasenko getting hurt set him back. He started off so unbelievably hot, would have been nice to see him get a real run at the Calder.

Would not be shocked to see a 4 seed vs. 4 seed in the finals.
Berglund started out really well but he only had 5 goals in the last 24 games. Tarasenko had a ridiculous first showing starting out with 10 points in 8 games and then he cooled considerably as well. Maybe with Tarasenko it was the grind of playing in the KHL and then having to come over, at least that's what I'm hoping anyway. He was slowing down before he got injured. To be honest, some fans weren't too too upset as it was an opportunity to see other players play in an offensive role (Schwartz) and the Blues were able to call up Porter and Cracknell who have been incredible.

If the Blues can get by the Kings (unlikely) and someone manages to knock out the Hawks (you're a Wild fan, correct?), then I believe the Blues can play with any other team and I would be expecting a series win. I don't see it this year though, same goes for Boston as well. I see the two #1's in the finals this year.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
5 goal difference... I dont know if I can give it to you. Blues have much better 2-way forwards and play in a much different system. Sacco's "system" would obviously result in more goals for and against.

You sure you're thinking about the current Avs? Their two way ability is kinda what makes Landy, Radar and Staz so damn valuable. While Dutchy really raised his game in that respect as well. If all of our forwards didn't bring than jsut their numbers they wouldn't be all that good.

And you're thinking of Sacco's "system" from when he had a defense with 4 PMDs and we just flew up and down the ice. Sacco changed his system a lot when we replaced all of those PMDs with Bigger pylons and shotblockers. Since then the Avs have gotten way more conservative schematically, the D still sucks, and the way Sacco handed out ice time really highlighted it's worst parts, but the avs generally just dump and chase, and try to block shots.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

You could blame that punk Olver a lot on Tarasenkos drop off. That concussion hurt him and he never really got his confidence back.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:14 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
You could blame that punk Olver a lot on Tarasenkos drop off. That concussion hurt him and he never really got his confidence back.
It was a clean hit......

CoachBadkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:

Not true at all. Sacco's system is actually a knock against the Avs offense.

All he ever does no matter what line is on the ice is enforce dump and chase hockey, and if we gain possession in the offensive zone its cycle over and over again.

Sacco was a Defensive minded coach. He just didn't have an effective system so it looked like we were offensive.

The biggest complaint among Avs fans for Sacco's system was it was to much of a grinders style of hockey and didn't let the star players have freedom to try things.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
It was a clean hit......
Not going to argue on whether the hit was clean or not, but what does whether or not the hit was clean mean anything when discussing the effects it had on Tarasenko's season?

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:

You clearly don't watch the avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
Not going to argue on whether the hit was clean or not, but what does whether or not the hit was clean mean anything when discussing the effects it had on Tarasenko's season?
Doesn't matter PA would've outscored him either way.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote