HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

DirecTV DVR TIP for recording Sharks broadcasts

Old
11-17-2009, 07:44 PM
chrisdg

vCash: 500
DirecTV DVR TIP for recording Sharks broadcasts

{updated for the 2013 season!}

This is a powerful tip for those of you who are DirecTV customers and use one of the DirecTV branded DVRs (models HR-20, HR-21, HR-24, etc). Boolean searches make this DVR one of the most powerful DVRs on the market, but it's not publicized much. It may look daunting at first, but this will make your life much easier.

If you want to setup an Auto-Record Search to automatically record all Sharks broadcasts on the Comcast SportsNet California (CSNCA), NBC Sports, and NBC channels, below is a set of advanced boolean KEYWORD SEARCH strings that will automatically find and record all Sharks games all season, prioritizing HD broadcasts over SD broadcasts, avoiding blackouts, etc. It's worked great for me for several seasons now, requiring no hand-holding. Given the relatively unpredictable nature of regional sports programming, it's as close to "set it and forget it" and you'll get with a DVR.

The DirecTV channel numbers below are valid for the Bay Area and perhaps beyond, but if you are not local, you will want to double-check that the channel numbers are the same for you, particularly since any NBC nationally televised game is broadcast on the local NBC affiliate, whose channel numbers vary.

INSTRUCTIONS (updated April 2011 to match the new SmartSearch method)
  • Via your remote control, go to MENU, select SMART SEARCH
  • type the search string exactly as follows: "AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699".
  • move cursor into the panel on the right and click the search string you entered with the label "KEYWORD" next to it (avoid the YouTube option). It will then proceed to next screen.
  • In the Category list that follows, scroll down to select SHOW TYPES and then choose "LIVE" from the list of options on the right.
  • On the recording options screen, pad each recording by 60 minutes or more to cover long games, delays, overtime, post-game, etc by adding time to the STOP value. (during the playoffs, you may want to pad games at least 3 hours!). When done configuring your preferred options on this screen, click RECORD ALL.
  • Finally, exit the recording settings screen and go back to the main MENU. From there choose Manage Recordings >> Series Manager, then move your new Sharks entry to the top of your priority list (or wherever you want it)

{updated for the 2013 season}
Now, repeat this same exact set of steps for NBC/NBC Sports (and NHL Network for those outside the CSNCA market), by creating two or three more auto-record search strings:
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 11 <---captures NBC affiliate coverage (channel 11 is NBC in the Bay Area, yours may differ!)
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 220 <---captures "NBC Sports" games
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 215 <---optional. captures "NHL Network" games for those outside the CSNCA market

----------------------
IN SUMMARY, your Series Manager screen will end up with 3 or 4 new entries that look like this, and should be in this order of priority to properly deal with blackouts:
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 11
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 220
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 215 --for those outside of CSNCA market

NOTES:
- When playoff time comes, you'll want to go in and edit the recording options of each Search string above to the pad END RECORDING duration to at least 3 hours or more to cover multiple overtime periods.
- As you may know, the TO DO list doesn't always immediately display things properly...it's sometimes only accurate as you get closer to gametime. However, this is a time-tested search method used by us sports-geeks on the satellite/dvr forums. Technical details below
- While this works for me and my friends, I make no guarantees that it works for you because channel numbers can vary from region to region. Check your local listings and replace the channel numbers accordingly.

TECH NOTE: Below is a list of all the advanced search logic that this DVR is capable of performing.

Enjoy!
-Chris

__________________________________________________ ______________
DIRECTV HR-2x DVR - BOOLEAN SEARCH LOGIC:

“AALL” => (this is the AND boolean operation) all the following words must be contained within the program (title, about, name, episode, category) in any order
“AANY” => (this is the OR boolean operation) at least one of the following words must be contained within the program (title, about, name, episode, category)
“NNOT” => (this is the NOT boolean operation) exclude any programs that contain any of the following words in that search string

The AANY and AALL keywords should appear as the first word in the search string in order to set the search mode.
The NNOT keyword may appear anywhere and all words following the NNOT keyword are considered words to exclude.

SCOPE FILTERS:

TTITLE => Limits the search to only the Title field of the Programs
NNAME => Limits the search to only the Name field (e.g. Actors, Director) of the Program
CCHAN => Limits the search to only the specified channel range (example CCHAN 500 510, or CCHAN 500 for a single channel)

Some sample queries are:

AALL racing car NNOT nascar => finds all shows containing “car” and “racing” (any order/position), but excludes the show if “nascar” appears

AALL hanks tom NNOT vinci => finds all tom hanks movies/shows but excludes the movie if the word “vinci” appears (e.g. da vinci code)

AALL hanks tom NNAME => finds all tom hanks programs where he is an actor[, writer, or director]

AALL hdtv football => finds all high definition football programs (note you can include category labels in the search and “HDTV” is same as “High-Def”)

AANY usc ucla NNOT football => finds all usc and ucla events/shows, but excludes football events

oakland raiders NNOT miami => finds exact match for “oakland raiders” but excludes show if “miami” appears (e.g. excludes games with Miami Dolphins)

AANY lakers clippers CCHAN 700 730 => finds all games with the Lakers or Clippers on only channels 700 through 730

AANY lakers clippers CCHAN 710 => finds all games with the Lakers or Clippers on only channel 710

Last edited by chrisdg: 01-27-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: updated instructions to match current DVR software workflow
chrisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

I assume ""AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699" will also pick up the games on the overflow channel (CSN-CA+).

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 10:19 PM
chrisdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
I assume ""AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699" will also pick up the games on the overflow channel (CSN-CA+).
Correct. Good catch! I had made that change on my DVR a couple weeks ago and then forgot about it when writing up this post! I'll revise my original post. Thanks.

Old
11-17-2009, 10:49 PM
lunarbrian

Dvr

Thanks for posting this. I have been frsutrated for the last couple of years trying to get the Sharks games to program automatically.

The last post answered one of my questions. I have programmed my DVR as suggested by am not seeing the HD games being puck up-for example Friday vs Flyers-it's picking up only the SD. Is that one of the things that will change as we get closer to game time?

Also, the search is picking up the post game show. Any way to exclude that as I'd like to add one hour to the broadcasr but I don't want to have an extra hour added to regular game and post game.

Thanks again.

lunarbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2009, 11:41 PM
chrisdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbrian View Post
Thanks for posting this. I have been frsutrated for the last couple of years trying to get the Sharks games to program automatically.

The last post answered one of my questions. I have programmed my DVR as suggested by am not seeing the HD games being puck up-for example Friday vs Flyers-it's picking up only the SD. Is that one of the things that will change as we get closer to game time?

Also, the search is picking up the post game show. Any way to exclude that as I'd like to add one hour to the broadcasr but I don't want to have an extra hour added to regular game and post game.

Thanks again.
The HD broadcast is definitely one of those things that often does not show up right away...sometimes not until gameday. But also sometimes the HD identifier is not in the guide either, yet the broadcast is in HD, and HD is typically what you'll get.

As for the post-game show situation, I'll check out how my system is handling that and get back to you later (wife is watching the tv right now). We can also append a "NNOT postgame" criteria into the search string if necessary.

Last edited by chrisdg: 11-21-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old
11-18-2009, 11:44 AM
JL9

Thanks

This has been driving me nuts forever (in addition to my existing nuttiness)
But I thank you for putting this together.

JL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
cjod86

Any tips for dish network subscribers?

cjod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2009, 08:38 PM
chrisdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbrian View Post

Thanks again.
ok, so I checked my machine. Yes, the search picks up the postgame shows, but the RECORD symbol is not next to them, so it's not going to auto-record those shows. It will only record the games. This is because I have already padded the game itself by 30 minutes, which overlaps perfectly with the 30min postgame show in the guide on the same channel. It doesn't attempt to record the same channel at the same time for same same duration twice (9:30-10pm). Get it???

To check yours: go to MENU > MANAGE RECORDINGS > SERIES MANAGER > and click on your new keyword series "AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699". It should show you a list of the upcoming keyword matches, with the orange AUTO-RECORD symbol to the right of only the actual games and not the postgame shows.

Again, the 698-1 and 699-1 HD subchannels wont appear in the list until the last minute. This is a guide thing that is really annoying. But don't blame your DVR for that.

Or, if you are still worried, you could recreate your auto-record keyword search as follows
"AALL SHARKS NNOT postgame CCHAN 698 699"
then on the "Narrow your Search" screen that follows, choose SHOW TYPE = LIVE just as we did in my original post. Don't forget to set it to record an extra 30 minutes.

Finally, in your Series Manager screen (formerly Prioritizer), move this to the top of your priority list!

Last edited by chrisdg: 11-18-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
chrisdg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjod86 View Post
Any tips for dish network subscribers?

No, sorry. I don't have any experience with Dish. If anyone has great tips for DISH, it would be great to start a new thread for that.

Old
04-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Trojan35

Diggin up the past, but this is super useful. Is there a way to get it to also work for Versus?

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

While the majority of games are completed in regulation, I usually set up my DVR to record playoff games for 12 hours (and shut it off when I get home).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2011, 02:27 PM
chrisdg

[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Diggin up the past, but this is super useful. Is there a way to get it to also work for Versus?
Glad you found it useful. Yeah, I just updated my original post to cover the new additions of Versus and NBC for 2011. Also, I updated the instructions to match the latest revision of the DVR software. When they introduced the new SmartSearch feature, it made my walkthrough above inaccurate.

Last edited by chrisdg: 01-27-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdg View Post

Glad you found it useful. Yeah, I just updated my original post to cover Versus and NBC. Here's the new section that's relevant to you:

Now, repeat this same exact set of steps as above for Versus and NBC broadcasts, by creating two more auto-record search strings:

AALL SHARKS CCHAN 603 604 <---captures Versus games
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 11 <---captures NBC games (channel 11 is NBC in the Bay Area, yours may differ)

So, in summary, you Prioritizer will end up with 3 entries that look like this, and should be in this order of priority:
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 698 699
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 603 604
AALL SHARKS CCHAN 11
Awesome sir, thanks. I will be going on vacation in may for a week (assuming the Shark's are still in it) I was going to have to attempt to record them by hand and hope DTV didn't change anything last minute.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Trojan35

This is awesome. Thanks.

Old
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
JL9

bumped for 2nd round .....

JL9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:31 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Bumping again - since I had to search and find this thread again after the hard drive in my D* DVR died yesterday (and I'm running now with an eSata drive).

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Trojan35

Any smart person here willing to post the new codes for this year? (NBCSports is 220, NHLN 215, etc)?

Old
01-27-2013, 12:07 PM
bluefunnel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Any smart person here willing to post the new codes for this year? (NBCSports is 220, NHLN 215, etc)?
They should be "AALL SHARKS CCHAN 220" and "AALL SHARKS CCHAN 215"

bluefunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:52 PM
chrisdg

Quote:
I've updated the original post above for the 2013 season. NOTE: For the local market, I am 99% sure that the NHL Network broadcast will be blacked out in favor of the CSNCA broadcast. 47 of the total 48 regular season games will be airing on Comcast SportsNet California (ch 698-699).

There's only one regular-season NBC game this year, but I added an entry for both the NBC national coverage and NBC Sports, because I'm not sure which channel it will air on...as the Sharks site only says "NBC, NBCSN". Also, these two entries will be more relevant during the playoffs.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/schedule....pe=2&navid=NAV

Last edited by chrisdg: 01-27-2013 at 01:24 PM.