HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets interested in Redden?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #26
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'll go ahead and handle all scenarios here, under the guise of "normal board member"

Interested party
If it's Davidson: "Clearly he sees someone that would bring a stabilizing veteran presence to a young blueline. It would also allow one of Moore or Savard to spend more time logging 25 minutes a night in Springfield, which can be nothing but positive for their development.

If it's Howson: "Did someone forget to pin his mittens to his jacket? I'm hilarious."

Outcome - favorable
If it's Davidson: "That's why he was hired, to find guys who can still produce despite minimal interest elsewhere."

If it's Howson: "Obviously he listened to Davidson."

Outcome - dismal
If it's Davidson: "Clearly this was a Howson move."

If it's Howson: "That one-year deal is absolutely crippling. Does anyone else Nikita Filatov?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Posts like this are why I kvetch about a "ineffably tainted with horrible failure" mindset that comes up here.

The "bullet" dodged was that we were going to pay him and play him as a top-4 or even top-pairing defenseman, which was undeserved. This was a legitimate concern AT THE TIME.

Now more time has passed. This is no longer a concern. Therefore it is no longer somehow some horrible nameless act of evil if we were to sign him for, say, $1m to be our #7D.

That the very thought of this would engender such a reaction of "omg onoes" and "who's to blame" speaks very, very poorly of our fanbase as a whole.

Seriously. "Is this Howson or Davidson?" And exactly why the **** should that matter one ******* iota? Swear to G-d. Some people here. Unbe****inglievable.

Some grade A postings right here.


__________________
“@Aportzline: RT @skeezer1212: @Aportzline are you on record about if you think they should trade Nash, *Carter? / Not my place. Reporter, not columnist.”
1857 Howitzer is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
  #27
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Posts like this are why I kvetch about a "ineffably tainted with horrible failure" mindset that comes up here.

The "bullet" dodged was that we were going to pay him and play him as a top-4 or even top-pairing defenseman, which was undeserved. This was a legitimate concern AT THE TIME.

Now more time has passed. This is no longer a concern. Therefore it is no longer somehow some horrible nameless act of evil if we were to sign him for, say, $1m to be our #7D.

That the very thought of this would engender such a reaction of "omg onoes" and "who's to blame" speaks very, very poorly of our fanbase as a whole.

Seriously. "Is this Howson or Davidson?" And exactly why the **** should that matter one ******* iota? Swear to G-d. Some people here. Unbe****inglievable.
You really seem to have a problem reading things into a post that don't exist. You imagine your self as some all knowing expert that has all the answers to the problems of the CBJ and God forbid anyone express an opinion that YOU might disagree with!!
It was a simple observation, Commodore was supposed to come in an tutor the young guys with a veteran presence on the blue line, he was given an overpaid contract, he turned into a disaster of a defenseman and we are still paying? Do we want to do that again with Redden?
The second part: we have a new man at the helm with John Davidson, we also still have a GM in Scott Howson who supposedly can make decisions and/or suggestions. It was a simple question, who expressed interest, JD or Howson? If YOU don't like the post, skip it! This is a public forum, it is a message board! If you want to bang your head, do it against a concrete wall and knock some sense into it!

Paisano* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
  #28
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
It was a simple observation, Commodore was supposed to come in an tutor the young guys with a veteran presence on the blue line, he was given an overpaid contract, he turned into a disaster of a defenseman and we are still paying? Do we want to do that again with Redden?
And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
The second part: we have a new man at the helm with John Davidson, we also still have a GM in Scott Howson who supposedly can make decisions and/or suggestions. It was a simple question, who expressed interest, JD or Howson?
********. It's looking for legitimacy based on whoever came up with it, and thereby looking for preemptive blame. That is the ONLY reason why it would matter, because otherwise there is no discussion to be had, nor use for the information. That in and of itself is very likely to be an anticipation that things WILL go poorly, because it is extremely rare for someone to look for "who SPECIFICALLY is responsible for this" when things are going well. Unless one is prepared to forgive Howson on the theory of "well, if JD also suggested it, maybe Howson knew what he was doing", but given that this statement was made in the context of referring to a "Commodore fiasco", this seems rather unlikely.

But the core purpose was to prejudge and attempt to find who to blame preemptively. That is undeniable. Either you need to admit it to us, or you need to admit it to yourself, but you can't claim it's otherwise without somehow being fundamentally dishonest.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
  #29
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
...
You...I like you.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
  #30
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin.



********. It's looking for legitimacy based on whoever came up with it, and thereby looking for preemptive blame. That is the ONLY reason why it would matter, because otherwise there is no discussion to be had, nor use for the information. That in and of itself is very likely to be an anticipation that things WILL go poorly, because it is extremely rare for someone to look for "who SPECIFICALLY is responsible for this" when things are going well. Unless one is prepared to forgive Howson on the theory of "well, if JD also suggested it, maybe Howson knew what he was doing", but given that this statement was made in the context of referring to a "Commodore fiasco", this seems rather unlikely.

But the core purpose was to prejudge and attempt to find who to blame preemptively. That is undeniable. Either you need to admit it to us, or you need to admit it to yourself, but you can't claim it's otherwise without somehow being fundamentally dishonest.
Go back and read the first two sentences in my post again!

Paisano* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
  #31
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
You...I like you.
Yay! Somebody likes me!

Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:40 PM
  #32
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 1138
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.

SuperGenius is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
  #33
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.
But I like this hill. It's the hill I'm on.


Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
  #34
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.
Look at the three previous posters, then ask again why there's an argument.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
  #35
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
Are we really arguing the nuances of a potential redden deal? Really?

It has a 1% chance, folks, if that. Good lied, find a better hill to die on.
Real hockey is almost back. But we gotta get the small stuff out of the way first!

Matthew is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 PM
  #36
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Look at the three previous posters, then ask again why there's an argument.
Aww. But I'm nice. People like me.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:12 PM
  #37
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Aww. But I'm nice. People like me.
Not me. I don't have a shadow, I have an argument that follows me around everywhere. Where you see me, you see the argument.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:14 PM
  #38
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin
It's because we have Aucoin that I'd rather see them pass on Redden. We have a vet with more current street cred who can be the #7 or play with one of our young bucks back there.

I think we have more need for a veteran forward than a defenseman.

(But not Scott Gomez)

Nanabijou is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 PM
  #39
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
It's because we have Aucoin that I'd rather see them pass on Redden. We have a vet with more current street cred who can be the #7 or play with one of our young bucks back there.

I think we have more need for a veteran forward than a defenseman.

(But not Scott Gomez)
Agreed, on both parts.

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 AM
  #40
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post


"omg onoes"
Don't want him, either. He was terrific at the Olympics and we know he can skate, but has he ever even played hockey? Although maybe he brings Subway along as a sponsor?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:00 AM
  #41
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Look at the three previous posters, then ask again why there's an argument.
First thing we agree on!

Paisano* is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:15 AM
  #42
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 14,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And yet nobody appears to have any worries at all with Adrian Aucoin.
easy...b/c Aucoin isn't being brought in to be a top 4 defenseman....and neither would Redden

Fro is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:43 AM
  #43
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,562
vCash: 500
Wade Redden stopped playing hockey long ago

Money knows how to play the position and is likely respected, just saying.

Totally agree about needing a veteran forward, (preferably a right winger) I have given up getting a first line center, and settled for a group of 3rd line pivots.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:47 AM
  #44
Kutter
Registered User
 
Kutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dublin
Country: United States
Posts: 279
vCash: 500
Redden was a good first pass defenseman whose play tailed off toward the end of his time in Ottawa. The Sens had recognized this, but like a lot of UFA's, there was hope he could be more than what he had shown recently and the NYR's and CBJ went after him aggressively. The NYR's turned out to be his choice despite the CBJ offering equal pay.

Unfortunately Redden couldn't play in Torterella's high pressure system. He didn't have the foot speed. Torts eventually gave up on him and he got buried in the minors, something Redden likely didn't think would ever happen. Somewhere along the way he also had a death in the family that apparently really impacted him.

Can he come back and still be an impact player? Seems unlikely at this point. Could he be a mentor to some of the young players - possibly - but would depend on his personality and attitude. However I don't see him fitting in well as a player from what has been written this week about Richards high pressure system. Seems like he would have the same problems he had in NY.

The only way I see a big upside to this would be if we picked up Redden, he actually played well for 20 games, and then we unload him at the trade deadline to a Cup Contender looking for more D for a nice draft pick. Lot of things would have to work out to make that scenario happen...

Kutter is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
  #45
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 14,715
vCash: 500
nvm...

Fro is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  #46
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
Redden was a good first pass defenseman whose play tailed off toward the end of his time in Ottawa. The Sens had recognized this, but like a lot of UFA's, there was hope he could be more than what he had shown recently and the NYR's and CBJ went after him aggressively. The NYR's turned out to be his choice despite the CBJ offering equal pay.

Unfortunately Redden couldn't play in Torterella's high pressure system. He didn't have the foot speed. Torts eventually gave up on him and he got buried in the minors, something Redden likely didn't think would ever happen. Somewhere along the way he also had a death in the family that apparently really impacted him.

Can he come back and still be an impact player? Seems unlikely at this point. Could he be a mentor to some of the young players - possibly - but would depend on his personality and attitude. However I don't see him fitting in well as a player from what has been written this week about Richards high pressure system. Seems like he would have the same problems he had in NY.

The only way I see a big upside to this would be if we picked up Redden, he actually played well for 20 games, and then we unload him at the trade deadline to a Cup Contender looking for more D for a nice draft pick. Lot of things would have to work out to make that scenario happen...
TOO many!!!

Lots of could & maybe & might....

Roadman is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
  #47
BluejacketNut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Redden signs with Blues

BluejacketNut is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #48
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Well, if you only allow one vet per position, then forward is taken. There's this guy, name of Vinny Prospal...

Viqsi is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
  #49
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd
 
Matthew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
If Redden wants to save his NHL career, he'll have to listen to Hitchcock. How long before even he tunes him out?

Matthew is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #50
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Well, if you only allow one vet per position, then forward is taken. There's this guy, name of Vinny Prospal...
One veteran for every 6 players at a position. It's a mathematical fact of hockey.

Crede777 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.