HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Tracing your ancestry/family tree

Old
12-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Tracing your ancestry/family tree

Anyone ever have any success with this?

Just started my 14 day trial on ancestry.com. Looking forward to digging up some dirt on my family.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

Just started my 14 day trial on ancestry.com. Looking forward to digging up some dirt on my family.
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for an interesting resource that might fill in some gaps in what's known about your family, then it might work. If you're looking for something stunning that will allow you to strut around as "the descendent of someone English baron", don't get your hopes up.

My wife has all 8 great-grandparents and 15/16 great-great-grandparents, with a few dead ends beyond that point. I have all 8 great-grandparents and 10/16 great-great-grandparents, but it starts getting hazy beyond that.

On the plus side, with a combination of this as well as an offhanded comment someone on these boards made once about EU citizenship for Italian descendents, I discovered that I'm eligible to be recognized as an Italian citizen.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 12-27-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:18 PM
tobo

When I dug up my family history, I found out that my great-grandfather was murdered in 1914 by other Belgian officials in the Congo. Back then, that gigantic piece of land was ours. I already know a little bit about the circumstances that led to his death through letters he had sent back home to his wife, but his personal file at the archives of the Ministry of foreign affairs, remains classified until 31/12/2013. I'm really looking forward reading those documents. Hopefully, it gives some more insight in the nasty events that happened over there around the time of his death.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:26 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Found out I'm descended from some minor Irish nobility. We've got a coat of arms, a castle, the whole bit- but I think the castle is just rented out as a b+b or something these days.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:37 AM
40oz

I've tried a bit but the internet wasnt a big help.
My gramps told me about his folks coming from Europe through on Ellis island before settling in Quebec, but I haven't been able to find any info about that on the Ellis Island site. But despite that the site was pretty cool.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:14 AM
KRM

Found out from an aunt that my second cousin is a SEL ref.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
All I know is that my grandmother left Czechoslovakia during the Holocaust. She got on the boat in Hungary, I believe, and it when the war broke out, it was going to go back and dock in Germany, but Germany didn't want the ports to be used, so they pretty much said GTFO. If that didn't happen, I wouldn't have been born.

12-28-2012, 04:40 AM
GirouxGiroux
Visioneer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post

For the love of god, please don't get click-happy on there and build another stupid, ridiculously bad tree. I've done a ton of good stuff on Ancestry, but some of the "research" I come across on that site makes me want to cry.

Prove things. Ask yourself if it's possible this John Smith is simply a random guy who happens to have the same name, etc. Don't assume that the trees on there are truth.

Sorry. I love genealogy and have to rant about this stuff.

I have my tree on Ancestry. I have all my great-great-grandparents, most third-great and seven fourth-great-grandfathers. Since I'm 31/32 Irish Catholic working class, I may never get much further back than I am right now. I'm looking into DNA testing to see what the possibilities are there.

Speaking generally, Ancestry's effectiveness for you depends on where your family is from and how much time you have to put in. Pretty good for American records. Not so hot for many other countries. The Irish records they have, for example, can pretty much all be found elsewhere and mostly for free. Still, I got a six-month World subscription which is a couple weeks from ending (will not renew) and I have no regrets.

GirouxGiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
hitman9172

Cousins built a family tree going back to my great great great grandfather. Really did some in-depth research. Pretty cool stuff.

hitman9172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxGiroux View Post
For the love of god, please don't get click-happy on there and build another stupid, ridiculously bad tree. I've done a ton of good stuff on Ancestry, but some of the "research" I come across on that site makes me want to cry.

Prove things. Ask yourself if it's possible this John Smith is simply a random guy who happens to have the same name, etc. Don't assume that the trees on there are truth.

Sorry. I love genealogy and have to rant about this stuff.

I have my tree on Ancestry. I have all my great-great-grandparents, most third-great and seven fourth-great-grandfathers. Since I'm 31/32 Irish Catholic working class, I may never get much further back than I am right now. I'm looking into DNA testing to see what the possibilities are there.

Speaking generally, Ancestry's effectiveness for you depends on where your family is from and how much time you have to put in. Pretty good for American records. Not so hot for many other countries. The Irish records they have, for example, can pretty much all be found elsewhere and mostly for free. Still, I got a six-month World subscription which is a couple weeks from ending (will not renew) and I have no regrets.
haha, I've only got legit stuff on their as of now. Up to my great grand parents. Can't find an obituary on my great grandfather though, would help me know the names of his parents.

My family is from Germany so there seems to be a decent amount of stuff out there.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
These sorts of sites seem to be more European optimized, so I never bothered. I do remember travelling with my parents to some village in the middle of nowhere in China to have our (my brother and I) names entered into a book though.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

I bought a subscription to ancestry.ca, and it said I'm my own grandpa. I stopped using the site after that.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:21 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
I bought a subscription to ancestry.ca, and it said I'm my own grandpa. I stopped using the site after that.
Haven't you seen that Futurama episode?

Time travel.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

My mom told me some of my cousins on my father's side ( long ago) went to Detroit. I saw a father and son team on Battle Bots from Detroit with my last name.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:18 PM
LucilleAustero

I'm a descendant of Millard Fillmore and John Hart(He signed the Declaration of Independence).

Last edited by LucilleAustero: 12-28-2012 at 06:39 PM.
LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:29 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
My family moved from Ireland to the US just prior to the civil war and half the family faught on the Union side and the other half on the confederate side. Four brothers died at Gettysburg.

My english family traced their tree back to 1200 AD here in the UK and it is funny that there was some constant things that happened. The family was either law enforcement or law breakers at any given time.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Zorf

One of my ancestors was a "horse procurer" for Robert the Bruce in Scotland. Yup, I'm a descendant of a horse thief.

We've traced our family back about that far on one side. Just starting out on the paternal side of my family.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

I did it for a project when I was in school, my grandparents had an old hand-written family tree and it went back to the early 1800's with William Edwards I who was from London, and my mother's side of the family are all Welsh. So I'm as British as you can get, a lot of people I know seem to have some form of foreign European ancestry and I get pretty jealous.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

I have dutch ancestry that is related to Anne of Cleves, a wife of Henry the Eighth.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I've always wanted to do it, but I don't want to pay for it...lol

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I'm related loosely to Erwin Rommel. One of my ancestors was a winning horse trainer at the Royal Oaks as well.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 12:09 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for an interesting resource that might fill in some gaps in what's known about your family, then it might work. If you're looking for something stunning that will allow you to strut around as "the descendent of someone English baron", don't get your hopes up.

My wife has all 8 great-grandparents and 15/16 great-great-grandparents, with a few dead ends beyond that point. I have all 8 great-grandparents and 10/16 great-great-grandparents, but it starts getting hazy beyond that.

On the plus side, with a combination of this as well as an offhanded comment someone on these boards made once about EU citizenship for Italian descendents, I discovered that I'm eligible to be recognized as an Italian citizen.
What is the standard to be able to earn that?

One of my grandmothers and an aunt actually spent about 18 years meticulously tracing back our family lines as far as they could. On her father's side, they were able to go back as far as the early 17th century. It was pretty cool.

Also, anyone that knows some Mormons should ask for help. They have some insanely awesome genealogy resources.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:46 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I've tried a bit but the internet wasnt a big help.
My gramps told me about his folks coming from Europe through on Ellis island before settling in Quebec, but I haven't been able to find any info about that on the Ellis Island site. But despite that the site was pretty cool.
Before my grandpa got forgetful, we built a family tree with everything he could remember. My great grandma came over from italy. Took about a month to find her on the ellis island site. To find my great grandma, I had to search for her uncle who brought her over. I'd suggest you do the same, if possible. Take accents into account when searching that site. It was english speaking citizens trying to decipher so many different languages. the name you-re looking for, might not be what it sounded like to the person taking down the information. I also helped a family friend find a couple of his relatives that passed through ellis island. I found more information through the ellis island site than I did with ancestry.

garry1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Traced it all the way back to Adam and Eve, I'm related to everyone.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:47 AM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Also, anyone that knows some Mormons should ask for help. They have some insanely awesome genealogy resources.
My dad's side of the family is Mormon and they used it to trace my grandma as far back as they went. They went very very far back.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote