HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagner vs Kyle Turris

View Poll Results: Who will have a better season?
Sam Gagner 239 48.19%
Kyle Turris 257 51.81%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
  #401
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
jesus, this thing again?

Turris is +1 playing against top opposition ( since Spezza went down ) and Gagner is -1 playing against 2nd line / pair defensemen.

let this thread die already.
Haha, that's funny.

"Why are people still talking about this?? This is stupid....But here's some more to argue about...Need to get the last word in."

Senor Catface is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
  #402
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Haha, that's funny.

"Why are people still talking about this?? This is stupid....But here's some more to argue about...Need to get the last word in."
Not this time van buren.

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:02 PM
  #403
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Haha, that's funny.

"Why are people still talking about this?? This is stupid....But here's some more to argue about...Need to get the last word in."
oh snap BURN!

you got me.

sansabri is online now  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
  #404
The Latvian
#rooster #classless
 
The Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
What arbitrary game selections.


13 games..then 20...then...5? Then 11 then 25. You can take any player and manipulate stats like that, which you just did.
Obviously showing the highs and lows in which Gagner had last season. And through out his career, if I had done it more.

The Latvian is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:25 PM
  #405
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Obviously showing the highs and lows in which Gagner had last season. And through out his career, if I had done it more.
He still finished with more points and was the better player. Who cares about last season though, we're talking about this season and Gagner has been the better player in every regard this year.

Oiled up* is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 01:36 PM
  #406
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
He still finished with more points and was the better player. Who cares about last season though, we're talking about this season and Gagner has been the better player in every regard this year.
Most people disagree with your opinion though. Maybe you're wrong?

Or is that impossible in your opinion?

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  #407
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Most people disagree with your opinion though. Maybe you're wrong?

Or is that impossible in your opinion?
Yeah but facts show that Gagner has been better. How can you dispute facts?

Oiled up* is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
  #408
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,839
vCash: 500
This has become a retarded discussion.

Gagner for now, fine?

It's like watching two mules beat themselves to death by banging their heads against a cliff.

NyQuil is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
  #409
Pucklington
Registered User
 
Pucklington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
They are both amazing.... They are both going to share the Hart this year.

Why can't we all get along?

Pucklington is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 04:02 PM
  #410
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Sam Gagner is the pinnacle of male evolution.


Last edited by Sloth Slothersons*: 02-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Sloth Slothersons* is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 04:20 PM
  #411
The Latvian
#rooster #classless
 
The Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
He still finished with more points and was the better player. Who cares about last season though, we're talking about this season and Gagner has been the better player in every regard this year.
My post was a reply to a poster talking about Gagner competing for the scoring race so far this season. I simply showed that Gagner has a tendency to score in bunches. And even if he is among the top scorers at the moment it is to be expected that he goes into a slump. Maybe he doesn't. That's yet to be determined.

Having watched the majority of Oiler games to comes across to me that aside from Dubnyk, Hemsky has been the best player. What happens to Gagner if he goes down, it's expected that his production will take a hit. Either way a it stands both are having great seasons and there's still a lot if hockey to be played.

The Latvian is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 06:40 PM
  #412
ATdaisuki
invisible
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Yeah but facts show that Gagner has been better. How can you dispute facts?
wait, the facts show that gagner has been better? where are these facts?

ATdaisuki is offline  
Old
02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
  #413
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Yes Gagner keeps plugging away for now but lets break down last season for Sam Gagner

2011-2012

Games 1-13: 2pts
Games 14-34: 18pts
Games 35-40: 0pts
Games 41-52: 20pts
Games 52-75: 7pts

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play.../gamelog/2012/

You look through out his career and find similar results. I said it at the begining of the thread he has consistency issues. Turris is no different. How do you think the rest of the season will go for Sam Gagner?
To be fair he started the season as a third line RW playing with Eric Belanger and Magnus Paajarvi who both had terrible offensive seasons. That line produced nothing and Renney rode the Hall-RNH-Horcoff-Eberle-Potter PP unit for at least 1:30 of every PP.

But you're right, Gagner has always been very inconsistent, as he gets older hopefully it gets better... He's still only 23 so his start this year is promising but to be honest his defensive game hasn't been great, he's made a lot of bad turn overs this season. I don't mind him as a 2c they just need a really reliable shut down 3rd line center if they want to roll RNH, Gagner for the top 6.

SephF is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 01:48 AM
  #414
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
jesus, this thing again?

Turris is +1 playing against top opposition ( since Spezza went down ) and Gagner is -1 playing against 2nd line / pair defensemen.

let this thread die already.
+/- over the course of 12 games is insanely accurate and is a great overall indicator of performance.

5RingsAndABeer is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:13 AM
  #415
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
+/- over the course of 12 games is insanely accurate and is a great overall indicator of performance.
ah, but point totals after a quarter of the season is?

sansabri is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:09 AM
  #416
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
ah, but point totals after a quarter of the season is?
hahaha This guy.

Comparing the importance of points to be equal to +/- aka the most worthless stat around.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 09:57 AM
  #417
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
ah, but point totals after a quarter of the season is?
You're kind of reaching don't ya think?

Oiled up* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  #418
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Yeah but facts show that Gagner has been better. How can you dispute facts?
what facts?

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 AM
  #419
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
You're kind of reaching don't ya think?
A net difference of 2 in plus minus would really be irrelevant even if +/- was a decent stat, but 12 games of sample is pretty much meaningless for pts as well.

Both players are good, lets move on (I know I will be).

Micklebot is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:17 AM
  #420
Oiled up*
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
A net difference of 2 in plus minus would really be irrelevant even if +/- was a decent stat, but 12 games of sample is pretty much meaningless for pts as well.

Both players are good, lets move on (I know I will be).
Career wise Gagner has out pruduced Turris, just like he is doing this year albeit by 2 points. I don't see Turris as a capable 1st line center and has not proved me wrong so far since the injury of spezza. Gagner can fill in for the 1st line and atleast be somewhat competant. Gagner over Turris everyday and twice on sundays and that's no slight on Turris as I'm positive that he will be a great 2nd lind center for you guys.

Oiled up* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:38 AM
  #421
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
hahaha This guy.

Comparing the importance of points to be equal to +/- aka the most worthless stat around.
you're missing the point. Turris ( since Spezza went down ) has been playing against top opposition and has registered a +1. Gagner has a -1 while playing against weaker opposition ( because Hall - Nuge - Eberle play against the top lines ).

yes, +/- is not a solid stat because it's a team sport. but the fact remains that while Turris is playing against top lines, Gagner isn't.

sansabri is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
  #422
sansabri
#blocktheboat
 
sansabri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montréal, QC
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
You're kind of reaching don't ya think?
LOLZ. and you're not?

'He still finished with more points and was the better player. Who cares about last season though, we're talking about this season and Gagner has been the better player in every regard this year.'

your own words.

sansabri is online now  
Old
02-12-2013, 10:41 AM
  #423
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Career wise Gagner has out pruduced Turris, just like he is doing this year albeit by 2 points. I don't see Turris as a capable 1st line center and has not proved me wrong so far since the injury of spezza. Gagner can fill in for the 1st line and atleast be somewhat competant. Gagner over Turris everyday and twice on sundays and that's no slight on Turris as I'm positive that he will be a great 2nd lind center for you guys.
So you're in the minority. The majority of people think you're wrong.

I don't need to hear your whining about stats. The fact is most people who watch hockey with their eyes think turris is better.

You, watching the statline, think gagner is better.

Try watching turris before you argue against the majority. Maybe you're trying to be a hipster and go against the grain?

Turris has more untapped potential as well.

In before "but the majority of people thought the earth was flat...and they were wrong"

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
  #424
The Latvian
#rooster #classless
 
The Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Career wise Gagner has out pruduced Turris, just like he is doing this year albeit by 2 points. I don't see Turris as a capable 1st line center and has not proved me wrong so far since the injury of spezza. Gagner can fill in for the 1st line and atleast be somewhat competant. Gagner over Turris everyday and twice on sundays and that's no slight on Turris as I'm positive that he will be a great 2nd lind center for you guys.
What's been wrong with Turris as Ottawas number 1 center since Spezza went down? And Gagner as a number 1 center? A number one center would produce despite their line mates.

The Latvian is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
  #425
Neatman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Sam Gagner is the pinnacle of male evolution.
Nay... of human evolution.

Neatman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.