HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagner vs Kyle Turris

View Poll Results: Who will have a better season?
Sam Gagner 239 48.19%
Kyle Turris 257 51.81%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 10:11 AM
ATdaisuki
invisible

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
I was pulling the ***** tail. I wasn't serious. I'm amazed though. When I started on HFboards, the first few years I always thought Oiler fans were the WORST at overrating their players and prospects. Then I saw the magic of the Sens fans. You surprise us all!
yup us sens fans pumping up the longest serving captain, someone that finished 4th in scoring last season, and a norris winner. darn sens fans overrating people.

if you're talking about someone like rundblad, i think many people still think he's going to be good. there were quite a few vocal sens fans saying he is going to be a top pairing d-man (still slightly possible, but very unlikely), but a lot were not convinced of that. we pretty much all knew he was going to need to get adjusted to the smaller ice surface, which he is still doing today.

as for the topic, i like turris a lot, and i haven't even seen gagner play more than a handful of times. i'd like to say turris, and i believe it's turris, but it's unfair to vote here.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:37 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
I was pulling the ***** tail. I wasn't serious. I'm amazed though. When I started on HFboards, the first few years I always thought Oiler fans were the WORST at overrating their players and prospects. Then I saw the magic of the Sens fans. You surprise us all!
There's a difference. We hype up players, then make the playoffs after everyone counted us out(and many still are)

You guys, on the other hand, hype up your players and then DONT make the playoffs.

Huge difference. The fact you can't see the difference is more amazing then what you thought was amazing.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:38 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Or...try this: we know what we're talking about.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
jbeck5

Turris! Dat release!

Old
01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Orr123

I will admit, Sens fans are pretty vocal on their players. But in all fairness, they are vocal on players like Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie and well Turris.

But of those 4 players, I could see 2 of them being HHOF'ers. And its not like one of the others is something to scoff at. And Turris, I get why Sens fans pump his tires. He came to the Sens, and our record got far better. That and he's gotten better and better every time I watch him.

*oh and I guess Sens fans do jokingly pump Condra's stamina*

Old
01-22-2013, 10:54 AM
jbeck5

This poll has been done several times.

June 21st, 2012

Turrris: 165 votes(54.46%)
Gagner: 138 votes (45.54%)

January 13th, 2013

Turris: 116 votes (51.10%)
Gagner: 111 votes (48.90%)

Though they are close, we can clearly see who HF has chosen. Now lets not make another one of these polls until the summer.

Old
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Samsquanch
Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Sens fans: Karlsson's gonna be amazing.

Karlsson becomes amazing.
We said he would be an amazing dman. HFboards was quick to remind us that he is a 4th forward. Therefore we're still in the delusional category.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Sens fans: Karlsson's gonna be amazing.

Karlsson becomes amazing.
Yeah, he's pretty fantastic.

1 in 20 boasts isn't bad.

"Zibanejad is the steal of the draft!!"

Old
01-22-2013, 03:04 PM
BigZKingK

Quote:

Not sure who you are refering to but pretty sure most Sens fans agreed and expect Zib to become a 2nd liner with good defence at best

Old
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
Not sure who you are refering to but pretty sure most Sens fans agreed and expect Zib to become a 2nd liner with good defence at best
This.

I don't remember the last time most of us ever thought he was a steal. Mind you, the guy has just began his career and is playing in the AHL. Wait and see approach is needed.

Oh, and Turris has 3 goals in 2 games. All the meanwhile looking like the best player on the ice. Not bad so far, eh?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZKingK View Post
Quote:
I've said this before but......Zibby could end up the steal of the draft this year, hellova hockey player we've got.
Quote:
If he is more like the player that dominated U18 last month, he is an awesome pick. A Marian Hossa with guts and toughness to his game.
Quote:
Zibanejad is great and have alot of talent and IMO he will be a great player which will give you a great 1-2 punch in the future with Spezza and Zibanejad.
Quote:
I'm starting to get the feeling that I might be cheering for Sweden over Canada in the 2016 olympics. With a little luck, half that team could be Sens.
Quote:
Poormans Ovechkin @ center? = the best player in this draft
Quote:
Love this pick, I think he reminds most of Kesler, a Swedish version of him.
That is from about 5 pages. In one topic.

But I'll step back...as much as fun as it is to have a dozen Sens fans with delusions of grandeur talk about their Olympic All-Stars.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:24 PM
HavlatMach9

Uh the Sens consensus on Zibanejad was that it was the worst possible scenario, forced to draft a forward, and hope he becomes a top 6 forward. Only the ovechkin comment is out of line, the others are bunch of could be's, style of play, and being on the 2nd line behind Spezza, nevermind generalizing off a few comments.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
bert

Quote:

But I'll step back...as much as fun as it is to have a dozen Sens fans with delusions of grandeur talk about their Olympic All-Stars.
Haha ouch.... well done, I am a sens fan I have noticed a serious amount of overhype of certain players. Rundblad's defense is unbelivably under developed. Zibanejad is lacking hockey sense, the tools are there but im starting to think he may not have the tool box. Simple plays like flying by a loose puck and not slamming on the breaks should have been resolved in bantaam, however we see basic mistakes like this all the time. I was also wrong about Cowen so who knows.

But what people are saying about pumping, Karlsson, Spezza etc is true both those guys dont seem to get the credit they deserve around here. However that could just be a reaction to all the chest thumping done by sens fans.

Turris however is showing signs of why he was so heavily hyped in his draft year, he is very intelligent I have been singing his praises since the day he landed in Ottawa. It appears everyone is on the bandwagon now. He is clearly a late bloomer physically so its natural for a guy like him to take a little while. He was taking his time by playing tier 2 jr a and the college route then he was rushed into the NHL and it hurt his development. I think were going to see a pretty steep incline in his game over the next 2 to 3 years as long as his commitment to fitness continues. He has tremendous hockey sense and body control if he puts on weight he could be a 1b to Spezza. He was the best player on the ice yesterday without a doubt. Problem is because he isnt a big guy long seasons will defenitely take their tole on him.

For the record I think both Gagne and Turris break out, Gagne looked like Edmontons best forward against Vancouver in my opinion.

Last edited by bert: 01-22-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old
01-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Erik Alfredsson
Beast Mode Cowboy!

Turris is looking like an absolute beast, future number 1 center there. He's easily one of, if not the best player so far this year.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:

ummm Zibanejad is on fire as of now

Old
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Orr123

I've always been skeptical of Zibanejab. That said, I still think he will be an NHLer some day. But 2nd liner at best.

And as for Turris, again, I think he's definitely been one of the most underrated players for the Sens as importance to the team. Yeah, Karlsson, Spezza and Anderson for sure are up there, but after that... I really felt like Turris was the guy. That said, his "character" issues were always a concern. But listening to this guy, watching him work his ass off to grow and get stronger and work on the things the coaches have said, has been SUCH an encouragement. I think that this year Turris will likely make a run for competing with Gagner's totals. Turris hasn't been there yet, but I think he will. (of course its matter of opinion, but I watch a hell of a lot of hockey, and Sens games).

Old
01-22-2013, 05:20 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

Quote:

let's break it down.

Quote:
I've said this before but......Zibby could end up the steal of the draft this year, hellova hockey player we've got.
technically speaking he could. doubt it, but he could

Quote:
If he is more like the player that dominated U18 last month, he is an awesome pick. A Marian Hossa with guts and toughness to his game.
yes, there were delusional sens fans that thought he dominated the world juniors. (even some non-sens fans think he did after the golden goal he scored)
people were using hossa as a playing style comparison. i don't know if there is a camp that still believes this comparison, but there is some merit to it play style wise, i don't think it's a great comparison though, and there were people that, once they saw him more, realized that although their physical talents are similar, zibby's hockey sense isn't there to play a hossa-lite game. he projects to turn out a little grittier though.

Quote:
Zibanejad is great and have alot of talent and IMO he will be a great player which will give you a great 1-2 punch in the future with Spezza and Zibanejad.
nothing wrong with this one. he could very well become a really good second line center. we have turris now though, so we've been trying him at wing as well.

Quote:
I'm starting to get the feeling that I might be cheering for Sweden over Canada in the 2016 olympics. With a little luck, half that team could be Sens.
this post is awesome. nothing more to say.

Quote:
Poormans Ovechkin @ center? = the best player in this draft
besides the best player in the draft comment, which is most likely untrue, i think this is one of the best comparison for his play style. it's not wrong to compare playing styles.

Quote:
Love this pick, I think he reminds most of Kesler, a Swedish version of him.
nothing wrong here as well.

some fans got excited after a pick, big deal. happens to most fan bases i think.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

What's wrong with Z? 19 years old and 0.5 ppg first season in the AHL.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
SenateReform

Quote:

The only one that stand out is the Ovechkin one. The fact that you didn't even attribute the quote leads me to believe it was taken out of context and was possibly even a joke.

Lots of Sens fans are still disappointed we didn't pick up Dougie Hamilton instead of him, but the kid is still only 19 so let's not act like he's a bust...

Old
01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
BigZKingK

Quote:

I agreed those two are over hyping the kid. But we all have fans like that the year after the draft going crazy about a kid and only have watch a handfull of game.

Ovie lite is arguable if the poster was thinking 30-25 player

The rest are second line prediction. Fine by me

And for the Team Sweden come on Karlson and Silf are almost locks for the WC And Lehner could be the 3rd goalie and Zib the 13rd foward it's not impossible but any way i would not trust the opinion of a poster who will follow ice hockey at the 2016 Summer Olympics

Old
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Inf4mous0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
What's wrong with Z? 19 years old and 0.5 ppg first season in the AHL.
Nothing. He was off to a slow start and then got injured/sick, so some ppl have soured on him. But he's back now and is a ppg in last 4 games with 3 goals in last 3 games.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Turris is looking like an absolute beast, future number 1 center there. He's easily one of, if not the best player so far this year.
This thread is crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
Nothing. He was off to a slow start and then got injured/sick, so some ppl have soured on him. But he's back now and is a ppg in last 4 games with 3 goals in last 3 games.
Those numbers are fine. I guess people on HF don't realize that Swedes take some time to develop.

MPS puts up .75 ppg in the AHL last season and people were already screaming bust.. what can you do?

Old
01-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Alfredsson View Post
Yes, through a 2-game stretch, Turris does look like a future number 1 center. And yes, through a 2-game stretch, Turris is easily one of, if not the best player so far this year. I can't wait for the NHL to hand out the "2-Game Stretch Hart Trophy", because Turris has an incredible shot at winning it!!!

Daniel Winnik >>> Crosby IMO

Old
01-22-2013, 06:22 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
This thread is crazy
I think he is referring to turris being one of the best players on the sens so far this season and that's true. Maclean has shown that he trusts turris out there and he is giving turris a chance to play a significant role on this team. Through the first two games Turris has averaged 2:37 of pk time. That's 3rd among forwards on the team and 2:09 of pp time a game, placing him sixth.
Turris very well may become a number one center but for the time being he is the 2nd line center an likely will be until he gets traded or Spezza falls off.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
BigZKingK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Yes, through a 2-game stretch, Turris does look like a future number 1 center. And yes, through a 2-game stretch, Turris is easily one of, if not the best player so far this year. I can't wait for the NHL to hand out the "2-Game Stretch Hart Trophy", because Turris has an incredible shot at winning it!!!

Daniel Winnik >>> Crosby IMO

People really need to calm down

Closed Thread