HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Americans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  #76
Pattysaurus
Registered User
 
Pattysaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,040
vCash: 500
That was an intense episode, to say the least. This show's so good.

Pattysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
  #77
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,903
vCash: 500
I'm considering stopping watching this show and just watch the remaining episodes in a row once the season ends. Love the show but it's just not the type I can tune in for every week like TWD, GoT, and others.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
  #78
Oscar Acosta
Registered User
 
Oscar Acosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,076
vCash: 1083
Can't believe Stan just straight up murdered that kid. Started liking this guy but he's turning on me.

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:42 AM
  #79
MurrayBannerman
The Portents
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 27,486
vCash: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Can't believe Stan just straight up murdered that kid. Started liking this guy but he's turning on me.
You ain't got the balls for the Cold War spy game, kid.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  #80
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
So should I buy this house?

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/20...or_sale_4.html

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:34 AM
  #81
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 50
Stan showing his darker side. I like that they've taken that direction with him, rather than making him an American idealist.

I still am not a big fan of Elizabeth, although her hardcore dedication to Communism makes me laugh when she lets it show through around her kids (the scene talking about astronauts, and the scene in this episode where she talks about how her mother would've treated her had she talked like that).

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:32 PM
  #82
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 50
Not sure I enjoy the KGB handler twist at the end. Other than that, alright episode.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:01 PM
  #83
MurrayBannerman
The Portents
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CHI
Country: United States
Posts: 27,486
vCash: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Stan showing his darker side. I like that they've taken that direction with him, rather than making him an American idealist.

I still am not a big fan of Elizabeth, although her hardcore dedication to Communism makes me laugh when she lets it show through around her kids (the scene talking about astronauts, and the scene in this episode where she talks about how her mother would've treated her had she talked like that).
I absolutely hate Elizabeth. Cannot stand her.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:38 PM
  #84
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
They tried to show her be an actual human this episode, meh. Still an okay episode, but there have many better. I did enjoy her back and forth with Granny at the end of the episode.

Two episodes left.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  #85
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Don't like the Clark/Martha stuff, but Nina at the end made it good. One more episode left!


Last edited by 17futurecap: 04-24-2013 at 10:07 PM.
17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
  #86
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Don't like the Clark/Martha stuff, but Nina at the end made it good. One more episode left!
Because it makes you feel uncomfortable how he's playing her ? If so I'm with you, but it's important that it's there. So horrible though.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:46 PM
  #87
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Because it makes you feel uncomfortable how he's playing her ? If so I'm with you, but it's important that it's there. So horrible though.
Yea I feel bad for her, she loves him, and its sad that she would go through all of this, and be taken so advantage of. Not saying it will happen next week, but you have to think this won't end well for her either getting killed, or being caught for planting the device in her boss's office that she will wind up in jail.

Can't blame Nina for trying to get back in with the Russians after she caught Stan off guard, and knows he killed Vlad. Or maybe she will still feed Stand truthful information, and be a triple agent, or would it be double agent, I have no idea.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:12 PM
  #88
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Des Louise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 19,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Yea I feel bad for her, she loves him, and its sad that she would go through all of this, and be taken so advantage of. Not saying it will happen next week, but you have to think this won't end well for her either getting killed, or being caught for planting the device in her boss's office that she will wind up in jail.
I feel so uncomfortable with those scenes. I don't know how someone could do that. I'd not be capable of lying so completely and utterly about everything I am just to get something.

Also I find Martha pretty repulsive. She's not that ugly physically, but something about her just turns me off. Having to fake feelings and actually make love with her.. it would be like torture for me.

Quote:
Can't blame Nina for trying to get back in with the Russians after she caught Stan off guard, and knows he killed Vlad. Or maybe she will still feed Stand truthful information, and be a triple agent, or would it be double agent, I have no idea.
I think she's been planning this for a while. I don't know if it's just the Vlad thing. I think she waited until she was in a position to play that card.

It's really gonna be interesting seeing the false information galore that will be all over the place.

The bug they placed in the clock being discovered VS Nina turning on the americans. It's like the russians are always a little bit ahead considering how they now have a bug in the FBI boss office.

Such a good show.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:21 AM
  #89
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I feel so uncomfortable with those scenes. I don't know how someone could do that. I'd not be capable of lying so completely and utterly about everything I am just to get something.

Also I find Martha pretty repulsive. She's not that ugly physically, but something about her just turns me off. Having to fake feelings and actually make love with her.. it would be like torture for me.



I think she's been planning this for a while. I don't know if it's just the Vlad thing. I think she waited until she was in a position to play that card.

It's really gonna be interesting seeing the false information galore that will be all over the place.

The bug they placed in the clock being discovered VS Nina turning on the americans. It's like the russians are always a little bit ahead considering how they now have a bug in the FBI boss office.

Such a good show.
Martha is lowkey hot.
I doubt making love to her would be anything close to resembling torture.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:09 AM
  #90
crane
Registered User
 
crane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Phillip and Martha's relationship has been uncomfortable from the get go. It's funny to see him act that way, all nerdy and ****.

It was pretty funny seeing their KGB handler dressed up for the fake wedding. she's pretty manly to begin with, but even manlier when she's all dolled up for a wedding lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Martha is lowkey hot.
I doubt making love to her would be anything close to resembling torture.
truth. plus she's all about that guy right now. you know she gets freaky. and if he can get back with Elizabeth and keep Martha on the side, he'd be set.

crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM
  #91
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,341
vCash: 369
so without reading the thread because I don't want any plot spoilers, is this show average, good, or excellent?

I only have a few shows I watch and this looked like one I may like. Currently GoT, Boardwalk Empire, Newsroom and Homeland are the shows in my wheel house. Does it stack up to them? Homeland is the lowest ranking on there for me so if it compares to that show well I'm sure I'd like it.

__________________

Q: How do you think the unthinkable?
A: With an itheberg.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:16 AM
  #92
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.
 
spintheblackcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 37,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
so without reading the thread because I don't want any plot spoilers, is this show average, good, or excellent?

I only have a few shows I watch and this looked like one I may like. Currently GoT, Boardwalk Empire, Newsroom and Homeland are the shows in my wheel house. Does it stack up to them? Homeland is the lowest ranking on there for me so if it compares to that show well I'm sure I'd like it.
I watch GoT, Boardwalk, Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and this.

It ranks up there with all of them, not better than, but in the same ballpark

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
spintheblackcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:34 AM
  #93
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,222
vCash: 500
I actually like it better then both Breaking Bad and Homeland.

Just a solid well written show and the females

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:20 PM
  #94
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT
 
Buckets and Gloves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,716
vCash: 500
I bet Martha gets killed off next episode... there was a moment either at the dinner when Phillip proposed or later in bed... she says "I will love you for all my life/till my death" something like that and there was an awkward pause.... think it was foreshadowing.

Just a hunch.

Love this show though.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
  #95
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,341
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I watch GoT, Boardwalk, Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and this.

It ranks up there with all of them, not better than, but in the same ballpark
Good enough for me! Thanks.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
  #96
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Because it makes you feel uncomfortable how he's playing her ? If so I'm with you, but it's important that it's there. So horrible though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Yea I feel bad for her, she loves him, and its sad that she would go through all of this, and be taken so advantage of. Not saying it will happen next week, but you have to think this won't end well for her either getting killed, or being caught for planting the device in her boss's office that she will wind up in jail.

Can't blame Nina for trying to get back in with the Russians after she caught Stan off guard, and knows he killed Vlad. Or maybe she will still feed Stand truthful information, and be a triple agent, or would it be double agent, I have no idea.
Agreed with the Martha relationship. It's uncomfortable watching someone getting manipulated like that, especially when we are exposed to the relationship's development from essentially the early dating phase through to marriage, and because we know Martha's innocent, as she's a secretary rather than an agent.

Usually, this kind of manipulation is either a game of manipulation between two agents (see Nina vs Stan), or else it's one-sided manipulation between a main character and some stock character. In both cases, we never really learn to empathize with the victim, either because we know they are an active, complicit player, or they're so underdeveloped that we don't invest in them.

Also agree with the bit about Nina. Hard to blame her when she was clearly really close to Vlad. Just knew that Stan would eventually give himself away on that point. Gonna be interesting to see how the Soviets and Americans each try and filter through the misinformation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
so without reading the thread because I don't want any plot spoilers, is this show average, good, or excellent?

I only have a few shows I watch and this looked like one I may like. Currently GoT, Boardwalk Empire, Newsroom and Homeland are the shows in my wheel house. Does it stack up to them? Homeland is the lowest ranking on there for me so if it compares to that show well I'm sure I'd like it.
It's about on par with Homeland S1, but better than Homeland S2 (or, at least, better than the second half of Homeland's S2).

Hard to compare to the others, as I haven't seen BE, hated The Newsroom, and feel Game of Thrones is too different to make me want to compare the two.


Last edited by CanadianHockey: 04-25-2013 at 01:42 PM.
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  #97
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
we drafted a goalie?
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 50,341
vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

It's about on par with Homeland S1, but better than Homeland S2 (or, at least, better than the second half of Homeland's S2).

Hard to compare to the others, as I haven't seen BE, hated The Newsroom, and feel Game of Thrones is too different to make me want to compare the two.
I just meant is it written well and character driven with good dialogue. 3 of the 4 I mentioned have that. Homeland is more action/thriller drama than dialogue and the characters are very shallow. I still like it enough though and it most closely resembles what I imagine the Americans is like.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:05 PM
  #98
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,396
vCash: 500
Well, see you next season. Fun episode, can't wait for season two.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:33 PM
  #99
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Thailand
Posts: 8,173
vCash: 500
Didn't really expect anything to go down the way it did tonight. Glad Phillip didn't die though... Wouldn't watch anymore if he were gone.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:47 PM
  #100
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Typical spy thriller plot line. Still like it though.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.