2013 Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Pominville now is better than Larsson now, I'm talking value added over the next 5+ years. And everyone else in the deal.
Larsson will be a great guts and glue guy, but I doubt he will ever be a big scorer: a slightly better Brodziak, but that ain't bad.

He's a "good at many things, but great at none" guy, i.e. not so special you can't get over it.

I remember when DR traded O'Sullivan, and gnashing my teeth, 47 goals and 93 points in his rookie season in the AHL, AND a 1st?! Demitra was worth it.

This is a pretty similar trade.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
At some point, the prospects / picks have to start trending into the quality over quantity area. This trade symbolized that. It should be viewed as a plus. It means we're still headed in the right direction. We're not in Eddy mode.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
At some point, the prospects / picks have to start trending into the quality over quantity area. This trade symbolized that. It should be viewed as a plus. It means we're still headed in the right direction. We're not in Eddy mode.
You almost have to feel sorry for Edmonton fans... they started their rebuilding a lot sooner than us, yet they have gotten virtually nowhere with it. The Wild on the other hand are back in the playoffs and look to be improving steadily year on year.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:23 PM
OpRedDawn*

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
You almost have to feel sorry for Edmonton fans... they started their rebuilding a lot sooner than us, yet they have gotten virtually nowhere with it. The Wild on the other hand are back in the playoffs and look to be improving steadily year on year.
But hey, look at their last few games. Scoring machines! They're gonna win soooooo many games next year!!

Old
05-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Looking at the quality Flahr and Co. have gotten outside of the first round makes this even less problematic. I like their method of parlaying lower round picks into upper round picks. Plus, they do damn well with the middle-lower rounds.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:36 AM
Dampland
YEO must GO

The key to the 2013 draft is finding a 2nd pairing Rough/Tough Defensive Defencemen, who can play 20-25 minutes a game.

We already have

Suter/Brodin
Then we have offensive minded Spurgeon, and in a couple years Dumba ...so we need a tough, responsible D-man to cover those guys.

I think drafting a player(s) like that should be top priority.

Followed by some snipers. We STILL don't score enough goals to compete.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
^

2013 draft needs.

Defense and Defense and Defense.

We have a top pairing set pretty much set for at least the next two years, probably longer.

We have a prospect in Dumba who should be good in generating offense, who'll bring some nasty.

What we need is a calming partner for Dumba. A smart dman who can ground the pairing and let Dumba take chances. Should be some Swedish dman available in the 2nd round for us to take.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:01 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Larsson will be a great guts and glue guy, but I doubt he will ever be a big scorer: a slightly better Brodziak, but that ain't bad.

He's a "good at many things, but great at none" guy, i.e. not so special you can't get over it.

I remember when DR traded O'Sullivan, and gnashing my teeth, 47 goals and 93 points in his rookie season in the AHL, AND a 1st?! Demitra was worth it.

This is a pretty similar trade.
Well, Larsson is the guts and glue 2nd line center. This teams has always lacked a 2nd top-6, so it would have been nice to trade a winger if we were getting a winger back.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:13 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
^

2013 draft needs.

Defense and Defense and Defense.

We have a top pairing set pretty much set for at least the next two years, probably longer.

We have a prospect in Dumba who should be good in generating offense, who'll bring some nasty.

What we need is a calming partner for Dumba. A smart dman who can ground the pairing and let Dumba take chances. Should be some Swedish dman available in the 2nd round for us to take.
While I agree defense is the priority, we are also getting a little thin down the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra centers added to the pool.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
The key to the 2013 draft is finding a 2nd pairing Rough/Tough Defensive Defencemen, who can play 20-25 minutes a game.

We already have

Suter/Brodin
Then we have offensive minded Spurgeon, and in a couple years Dumba ...so we need a tough, responsible D-man to cover those guys.

I think drafting a player(s) like that should be top priority.

Followed by some snipers. We STILL don't score enough goals to compete.
If we draft a defenseman in 2013, he's likely not playing until 2016 at the earliest.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:42 AM
forthewild

Quote:
If we draft a defenseman in 2013, he's likely not playing until 2016 at the earliest.
Not really, remember people said that bout Brodin..

There is a number of factors to look into with a pick, if you pick a guy who can play solid defense and can skate his transition is going to be much quicker. If you don't have to spend years developing every facet of his game.

It all depends on the player but they can be here in one year playing 18ish min a game as long as they aren't a liability on the ice.

The immediate fix to defense will come via trade/fa. But after giving up 4 big assets (and yes I still think the Pominville trade was a bad idea because it didn't address our biggest weakness which is D) we can't just go and give up more major assets to get a dman.

Wilhelm Westlund is an intriguing name, played for Brodin's old team.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Brodin was a 10th overall pick. We're not going to pick until late second. Think about how unique and rare it is for a 19-year-old defenseman to stick in the NHL...then extrapolate that for late second rounder.

Remember how shortsighted it was for all those draft picks years ago, drafting for immediate need...and even with highly touted guys like Granlund, who hasn't made an impact for 3 years after being drafted.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:32 AM
nickschultzfan

Clutterbuck and our 3rd to move back into the 1st to draft a Dman.

Then take a center with our 2nd.

We can only hop.e

Old
05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Brodin was a 10th overall pick. We're not going to pick until late second. Think about how unique and rare it is for a 19-year-old defenseman to stick in the NHL...then extrapolate that for late second rounder.

Remember how shortsighted it was for all those draft picks years ago, drafting for immediate need...and even with highly touted guys like Granlund, who hasn't made an impact for 3 years after being drafted.
I never said it was for immediate need tho. Dumba him self may not be ready for top 4 duty next year either, however we do have some time to draft and develop an ideal partner for him who can step up in a year and at least hold down the spot.

that could end up being scandella for all we know, however having a number 4 dman with a front of Brodin and Suter to play behind won't be the same pressure, they could see far easier minutes, specially if we develop a solid forward group that can put pressure on the opposing team.

Still I think we need to target capable and smart defenders in this years draft.

To clarify, while defense is an immediate need, its not something we can expect to address in the draft this year given where we pick. FA/Trade is where that will have to be addressed if one of our prospects doesn't cut it. I'm saying we need to look for a grounding dman who can play the calming partner that allows Dumba to play his style.

Aka a Brodin like dman, steady who doesn't make mistakes and lets his partner lead while providing a strong defensive presence. This dman won't have to focus on providing offense, just be a very good defensive player, doesn't even need to be physical given Dumba's physical nature.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

Quote:

I agree ... but neither will DUMBA, so we have a couple years to groom our 2nd pair.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not the NFL draft where you're getting 22-23 year old guys that have pretty well-established and documented traits and abilities to fill holes in your team.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Pretty tough to count on a rookie coming in and filling a need (like Brodin). Immediate needs are best filled thru free-agency, IMO.

..and I believe the Wild would rather have Dumba developing in the NHL next season, when given a choice between that and another year in Red Deer.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:56 PM
nickschultzfan

Don't see how getting burned by NHL forwards, playing limited minutes, and lots of pressbox time is going to help Dumba's development

Dumba would be better served playing in Sweden or some other professional league next season than playing in the NHL.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:07 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Dumba would be better served playing in Sweden or some other professional league next season than playing in the NHL.

Playing in Red Deer under Brent Sutter works too.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:05 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Playing in Red Deer under Brent Sutter works too.
Playing in Minnesota under Brent Sutter works too...

No I have zero concern that this regime or the next one if people get fired will **** up Dumba's development.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I gotta admit that Scandella has really surprised me with how well he's played in this series...and it got me to thinking about a possible Dumba/Scandella pairing in the near future..I'm thinking a pairing like that could look pretty good in a future series with the Blackhawks.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba

Not a bad 1-2 punch in a year or two, I'd say....

Old
05-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I gotta admit that Scandella has really surprised me with how well he's played in this series...and it got me to thinking about a possible Dumba/Scandella pairing in the near future..I'm thinking a pairing like that could look pretty good in a future series with the Blackhawks.

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba

Not a bad 1-2 punch in a year or two, I'd say....
That is a group of Dmen who can skate with their forwards.

But....but.....but I thought the Wild had no D prospects? I read on this board that the Wild were screwed forever and ever on D because they traded for Pominville.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post

But....but.....but I thought the Wild had no D prospects? I read on this board that the Wild were screwed forever and ever on D because they traded for Pominville.
Really?

They traded a center and goalie and two picks. Prospect depth at center is pretty thin.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:18 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post

Actually adding a top 4 dman at the deadline would have helped this team a bunch. Because Scandella might have some durability issues and we still don't know if this Scandella is here to stay as far as his game goes.

While I am optimistic that he will, we still could have used a solid top 4 dman for this year.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Really?

They traded a center and goalie and two picks. Prospect depth at center is pretty thin.
Really!

Didn't you write off Scandella? Or do i have that wrong?

Forgive me if I don't put a lot of stock in the belief that every Wild C currently in the system is already a bust.

Closed Thread