HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL on TSN predicts Penguins will beat Kings for Stanley Cup

Old
01-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
NHL on TSN predicts Penguins will beat Kings for Stanley Cup

NHL ON TSN PREDICTS PENGUINS WILL BEAT KINGS FOR STANLEY CUP

TSN.CA STAFF

1/17/2013 11:21:25 PM

With the puck drop on the 2012-13 NHL season just days away, the NHL on TSN panel put their predictions on the line, as well as listed who their surprise teams were heading into the season.

The panel, which included TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, as well as analysts Ray Ferraro and Aaron Ward, forecast that the Pittsburgh Penguins would overcome the Los Angeles Kings to win the Stanley Cup.

The Penguins were also predicted to finish first in the NHL's Eastern Conference during the regular season while the St. Louis Blues were picked to finish first overall in the Western Conference.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413838

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:29 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I would very much like that match-up.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:29 AM
Jaded-Fan

Some nice accolades. Debated posting this for the jinx factor, but honestly am just not that superstitious. If I had that kind of power I would use it for money and babes.

Other excerpts, the first being fun as we have that game with the Flyers coming up:

The Tampa Bay Lightning were tabbed as the team that could surprise hockey fans in the East while the Philadelphia Flyers, on the other side of the spectrum, may not meet expectations this year.

"When I look at the Flyers' blue line, that's where I begin to have questions about them," said Ferraro.

(but he later does include them in a group of four elite teams in the east):

McKenzie said he felt everybody in the Eastern Conference playoff picture could surprise people and not make the post-season. He did, however, exclude what he believes are the elite four teams in the east: the Rangers, Penguins, Bruins and Flyers.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:39 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I would very much like that match-up.
You and me both!!! Wooooo bring it

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:05 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Bring it on.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:12 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Yes please.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

So that means it isn't happening.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:30 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunitz View Post
So that means it isn't happening.
I don't believe TSN predictions too. Never comes true. That's why Pens will beat in the SC final not Kings but some other: Blues, Detroit etc

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I'm really fed up with the pens "constantly" being portrayed as cup winner every year.

Enough with the jinxing already!

With that said, It would be a great series.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

As much as I want that prediction to be right, I don't see it happening, more so the Pens than the Kings. It seems every analyst has ignored the fact the Pens actually got worse in the offseason...

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
As much as I want that prediction to be right, I don't see it happening, more so the Pens than the Kings. It seems every analyst has ignored the fact the Pens actually got worse in the offseason...
We have more tradable assets than we have ever had during the Crosby-Geno Malkin era.

Shero has been biding his time for a while, and the two-headed monster is finally healthy for the first time in three years.

The timing just feels right this year.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM
od71

Quote:
Yes, but it depends on other factors too. With current roster we certainly can make SC final. Definitely we are not worse than Kings last season

od71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Flat Stanley

"WHY DO THEY ALWAYS PICK THE PENS TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP? FLEURY SUCKS HE'S NOT AN NHL GOALTENDER AND THEIR DEFENSE SUCKS!"

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Did we really get worse? Sutter can do the job Staal did, Sullivan is replaceable and Michalek isn't much of a big loss. And this time around if Fleury ***** himself again at least we have a guy we can turn to now with Vokoun

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
We have more tradable assets than we have ever had during the Crosby-Geno Malkin era.

Shero has been biding his time for a while, and the two-headed monster is finally healthy for the first time in three years.

I also like the shortened season for this team, I also have a good feeling but then again I had that same feeling going into the post season last year

Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

The team that won the Cup in 2009 was worse talent-wise than the 2008 team that lost in the finals imo. Talent isn't everything. The team has loads of talent with or without Jordan Staal but they have to play to their potential and they failed to do that on a lot of levels the last few years in the playoffs.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:03 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post

The two-headed monster was healthy in last year's playoffs too; I think that whole aspect is overhyped honestly. We may have tradeable assets but that theory operates under the assumption that deals for what we need can be made with absolute certainty, which is never the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Yes, but it depends on other factors too. With current roster we certainly can make SC final. Definitely we are not worse than Kings last season
I agree with other factors but looking good on paper doesn't always translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Did we really get worse? Sutter can do the job Staal did, Sullivan is replaceable and Michalek isn't much of a big loss. And this time around if Fleury ***** himself again at least we have a guy we can turn to now with Vokoun
I'm not as worried about replacing Staal with Sutter, but I don't think anyone will ague Staal is better than Sutter. I like the Vokoun signing no questions on that, but I am still wary of our defense. I think we'll miss Michalek more than people think and I'm not expecting Martin to have a bounce back year. So I definitely think our defense is weaker than last year.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
The team that won the Cup in 2009 was worse talent-wise than the 2008 team that lost in the finals imo. Talent isn't everything. The team has loads of talent with or without Jordan Staal but they have to play to their potential and they failed to do that on a lot of levels the last few years in the playoffs.
Talent wise yes cause of Hossa but up front we were a deeper hockey club with the signing of Fedotenko and Satan and the trading of Guerin

Old
01-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
I'm not as worried about replacing Staal with Sutter, but I don't think anyone will ague Staal is better than Sutter. I like the Vokoun signing no questions on that, but I am still wary of our defense. I think we'll miss Michalek more than people think and I'm not expecting Martin to have a bounce back year. So I definitely think our defense is weaker than last year.
I guess we have to wait and see how things start off for us but I really hope the defense isn't as bad cause last year was brutal and it's almost impossible to be that bad again. Young players have a year more off their belt and Martin who rumors were that he was injured is now healthy. See how they perform tomorrow in Philly

Old
01-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I don't see the Kings making it to another final.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:57 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Not with STL getting Tarasenko.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I see them fighting for a playoff spot again to be honest especially with no Kopitar to start the year. I think the Blues are a deeper team and may have learned a thing or 2 from last season. They come out of the West IMO

Old
01-18-2013, 10:19 AM
WVP

Playoff matchups will be key. Could see Flyers (or Rangers) in the first round depending on who is 4/5.

Rangers, Boston and Philly will all be tough outs.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
wolffy66

On paper we look like serious contenders just becuz of the guys at the top so Im not surprised to see the predictions.

Disco Dan needs to prove himself in this seasons playoffs. He seems like a good coach, does awesome in the regular season but its hard to let another post season flop go unpunished. Having Sid and Geno in their primes forces you to try an alternative and soon imo.

wolffy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:51 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffy66 View Post
On paper we look like serious contenders just becuz of the guys at the top so Im not surprised to see the predictions.

Disco Dan needs to prove himself in this seasons playoffs. He seems like a good coach, does awesome in the regular season but its hard to let another post season flop go unpunished. Having Sid and Geno in their primes forces you to try an alternative and soon imo.
Does he really "do awesome" in the regular season? With the top end talent this team has I find it virtually impossible to believe there aren't 100 coaches that could lead this team to a 4th place finish. That's the least of my complaints with the guy, but 4th or 5th place should be a lock for this team.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote