HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

Old
01-24-2013, 06:16 AM
The Sweetness

vCash: 500
Hamilton looked impressive last night. This coming from a Rangers fan. I had previously only seen him in the world juniors and was unimpressed but thought maybe his game was more suited to the pros.

His shot and ability to get it off quickly and accurately combined with his ability to know when to shoot are going to get him a lot of points. I love guys like him who can have a quite night but still rack up some points just by rifling the puck on net.

I also have Boston in a keeper/sim league so I am obviously cheering him on.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:00 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
To me, he looked like the best....or at least most consistent....defenseman in the game for the Bs tonight.
As much as I agree with the board sentiment that he looks calm and he's obviously skilled and ready to play in the NHL, he did have a rocky first period. He gave away a puck in the slot on his first shift that easily could have been a goal (and that would have been 100% on him). Also, I'm not sure he should have gone to front the slot man along with Ference on the second goal, so his running around might have been a mistake on that one as it left Gaborik wide open for the rebound.

Those are two pretty big mistakes. Obviusly aside from positioning and careless passes, both of which he'll learn from quickly, he looked great. I was confident he'd be good from day 1, and he looks it.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
As much as I agree with the board sentiment that he looks calm and he's obviously skilled and ready to play in the NHL, he did have a rocky first period. He gave away a puck in the slot on his first shift that easily could have been a goal (and that would have been 100% on him). Also, I'm not sure he should have gone to front the slot man along with Ference on the second goal, so his running around might have been a mistake on that one as it left Gaborik wide open for the rebound.

Those are two pretty big mistakes. Obviusly aside from positioning and careless passes, both of which he'll learn from quickly, he looked great. I was confident he'd be good from day 1, and he looks it.
The entire lineup had a rocky first and for me, it`s best that I prepare for mistakes from the kid otherwise, I`ll be putting personal expectations way outta wack on him.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 08:54 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
The entire lineup had a rocky first and for me, it`s best that I prepare for mistakes from the kid otherwise, I`ll be putting personal expectations way outta wack on him.
Couldn't agree more. What I'm most pleased with at this stage is that he doesn't lack any confidence either getting involved physically or playing the puck. When we think back to Seguin, for example, it took him months to get involved to the extent Hamilton already does, so that's a great sign. Further, he's not anxious to get rid of the puck. He flattens it out (usually) and smoothly makes his play. When he figures out his positioning he's going to be a top 4 guy immediately.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:18 AM
unifiedtheory

My expectations are now through the roof.

I think he is our powerplay quarterback. The team and the players on the ice have to change a little bit when he is out there because the leash should be off, if he has a chance to push the puck and freelance he should go for it.

His ceiling is high, very very high.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:41 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

I never bump, but I thought this was a great thread.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:54 AM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

vCash: 50
I said 10-15 points and learn to play great "D". The points were there not sure about the "D".

BergyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
BostonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns View Post
I think he ends up with 3 goals, 10 assists and plays in 40 games. I think 8 games in the press box watching and learning souns about right. I'm not worried about what he does in the offensive zone though, this season should be about learning the NHL game and improving on the defensive end of the ice. I think the 3 goals and 10 assists will come because he'll spend a fair amount of time on the powerplay.
I agree. He might do slightly better than this but not much. High side would be 4 goals/15 assists but that might be a stretch. It all depends on injuries and how he looks on the PP. He should be stronger and not fade as much as this year. 3 years from now he could lead the Bs defensemen in the offensive categories.

My predictions are for the coming season. I don't think he will be in the 25 point mark this year even though we all would like that.

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:00 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPC View Post
I agree. He might do slightly better than this but not much. High side would be 4 goals/15 assists but that might be a stretch. It all depends on injuries and how he looks on the PP. He should be stronger and not fade as much as this year. 3 years from now he could lead the Bs defensemen in the offensive categories.
lol you know that was a prediction from January, right?

Anyway, it seems like Dougie is the forgotten guy in all the hooplah this summer and the emergence of Krug.

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I never bump, but I thought this was a great thread.
I'll chime in!

Prediction:

10 G 25 A 35 P

+/- of 20

About 1/3 of his points come on the PP

AV TOI: 18 min

Ideally he'll be playing 22 mins by playoff time to help spell Z and 44 but trying to realistically temper my predictions.

I just like the fact that CJ has a good track record of bringing youngsters along slowly and properly.

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:05 PM
BostonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
lol you know that was a prediction from January, right?

Anyway, it seems like Dougie is the forgotten guy in all the hooplah this summer and the emergence of Krug.
I just realized that I still stand on my predictions for this year. I believe he has a great amount of talent but is still a young pup and will not put up great numbers for a few years.

I hope I am wrong....

BostonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:08 PM
bp13

Can he be sent to Providence, and assuming yes, is anyone else afraid this might happen?

If nobody gets moved, is it unrealistic to think Krug and Bart jump him on the depth chart? And if they do, do you carry him as the scratch or give him ice time in Providence? This is my fear. I want him getting top 4 minutes and I'd move a guy to make it happen. I'm okay with him getting minutes over someone who might deserve it more right now, like a McQuaid for example.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Prediction for 2013-2014- Playing 23+ minutes a night in Providence.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
Prediction for 2013-2014- Playing 23+ minutes a night in Providence.
doubt it.

Think that would be a mistake.

See him playing 15-18 mins a night in NHL with 30-40 points

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
LucicIsABeast

I think Krug is being overhyped. Sure he could make the top 6 but this seems all to familiar with Hunwick. Undersized college kid who looked good on the PP. I mean, I hope I am wrong but just seems like a lot of similarities.

Hamilton will play the year with Boston, no doubt about that, and will continue to fill his frame and grow to be an NHL caliber player in the defensive zone.

LucicIsABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
doubt it.

Think that would be a mistake.

See him playing 15-18 mins a night in NHL with 30-40 points
He needs time to develop and Bartkowski and Krug are ahead of him right now. Keep him in Providence for at least half the season and allow him to play top pairing minutes while learning how to play D at the pro level plus gaining leadership skills and you won't be sorry.

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:29 PM
nycbruins*

A guy on pace for over 25 points as a 19 year-old won't hit that mark for a few years? Don't get the logic there.

If dougie is in boston & on the pp, he'll easily hit 35 points. Question is whether his d-play can get him that icetime/roster spot.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:30 PM
zylos45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucicIsABeast View Post
I think Krug is being overhyped. Sure he could make the top 6 but this seems all to familiar with Hunwick. Undersized college kid who looked good on the PP. I mean, I hope I am wrong but just seems like a lot of similarities.

Hamilton will play the year with Boston, no doubt about that, and will continue to fill his frame and grow to be an NHL caliber player in the defensive zone.
When did Hunwick ever look good on the PP?

Hunwick was a huge stiff..couldn't carry Krug's jock

zylos45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

The D will come. He's smart enough and has the physical attributes. I forget often he's not even old enough to drink. He'll round out and figure it out and we'll hopefully see an Alzner-type 2nd contract with him.
As for the offense, that's what you either have or you don't and he's got it. SO pumped for him.

12+28=40 is my estimation

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:43 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Dougie wins a Calder Cup; Hamilton in AHL, Seguin in Dallas and the Leafs win the Cup. Dream scenario in Leaf Nation,

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
LucicIsABeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
When did Hunwick ever look good on the PP?

Hunwick was a huge stiff..couldn't carry Krug's jock
Such as the year he had 27 points in 53 games and posted a fairly impressive plus/minus? People were expecting him to become even better at that point because he was a young d. If anything it teaches not to put stock in 1 seasons success or smaller sample size.

As I said, I hope im wrong, I just wont believe it until I see it for longer than 15 or so games.

LucicIsABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
He needs time to develop and Bartkowski and Krug are ahead of him right now. Keep him in Providence for at least half the season and allow him to play top pairing minutes while learning how to play D at the pro level plus gaining leadership skills and you won't be sorry.
He played with the big boys last year, sending him to Prov is a step back and may hinder his development.

Better off facing nhlers, training with nhlers... not to mention sending him to Prov will probably be a blow to his confidence.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
neelynugs

i expect to see hamilton significantly bigger/stronger when he shows up at camp in september. was a very good learning experience for him and figure he'll play with seids on that 2nd pairing. krug/mcquaid should start as 3rd pairing, but bartkowski will push for playing time. figure a decent amount of rotating going on, and not even taking into account the injuries.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:33 PM
HuskyBruinPride

No way Dougie plays in the AHL. I can't believe people are really suggesting this. He was on pace for 30 points as a rookie, and while his D certainly has room for improvement, he was a lot more solid in that regard than I expected him to be. He should only continue to improve this year and I think he needs to continue to face NHL talent in order to get better.

HuskyBruinPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
QC
Visionary.

vCash: 50
I see him hovering between top 4 and top 6 duties. Krug, Bart, and even Wade ****ing Redden had some good playoff moments, none of that being in Dougie's control. He would've played a lot more last year if we had a dearth of defensive options, but we didn't.

I have no clue how many pts he scores, but I expect him to bring some of that ol' nasty, maybe even a fight or two. He's got a mean streak within his lanky and still-growing frame.

QC is offline   Reply With Quote