HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:32 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Yup remember being ecstatic when Philly was on the clock since we were getting a #1-2 overall pick most drafts guaranteed in Couturier or Hamilton. Thought they'd take Hamilton too so was even more happy when they picked Couturier. When Couturier was slipping coming up to the draft I knew he'd be a legit NHL player with big upside and I wanted him bad. Thought there was 0 chance we got Hamilton.

Chiarelli had a huge grin when he made the pick you could tell the guy was completely giddy and knew he just got very lucky.

It looks like Dougie is in fact ready to play with Chara or Seids right away. I'll stop there before proclaiming that his arrival means the end of those 2 playing together in the playoffs and deciding if Hamilton/McQuaid is a good third pairing in the playoffs (I think it is) since thats premature but he's ready to skate with either Z or Seids right now in the regular season and log significant minutes.
Was Pronger was healthy at that time?, I have to think if he wasn`t they would have picked Hamilton

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Pie O My

After 2 games, 2 words - He belongs.

I can count on one hand the number of glaring "rookie mistakes" i've seen out of him, and i'm not counting the thumb.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:44 AM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
Now that we have seen him in action with the Bruins what does everyone think of his play? I feel he has looked good but its clear that there is a lot he needs to work on. He has definately played more than I thought he would in the first two games.
I've been REALLY impressed by his ability to grasp the system and adapt.

For me, Hamilton's biggest issues (since he was drafted) have been a complete lack of structure and discipline to his game. He'd take himself out of position chasing hits, chasing players 1on1, taking low percentage chances at intercepting passes, coming across to his partner's side of the ice and vacating the slot, etc... He just seemed to play on instinct.

But so far, he's sticking to the system here. He's not running around in his own zone. He's not vacating the front of the net without coverage, he's not chasing people outside his area. I mean, this for me, was going to be his biggest challenge, yet he's adapting beautifully. And, he's starting to integrate the other things that he can do, i.e. moving the puck smartly, jumping into the play, using his skating and reach, being physical... He's already exceeding my expectations.

He's not a finished product by any means and there will still be plenty of mistakes, but color me impressed with his ability to adapt, and excited for what this kid is going to be like, in this system, in a year or two as he gets stronger and more confident.

Last edited by Bill Ladd: 01-22-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Looks like a couple of my friends here were right when I asked if Dougie is regressing in the "O"... "Lou, what he needs is pro coaching, pro players to be around, and pro structure. There are absolutely no worries with Hamilton...You read too much HF HAHA".... You two should take a bow, but I know you won't. :-)

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Looks like a couple of my friends here were right when I asked if Dougie is regressing in the "O"... "Lou, what he needs is pro coaching, pro players to be around, and pro structure. There are absolutely no worries with Hamilton...You read too much HF HAHA".... You two should take a bow, but I know you won't. :-)
It never ceases to amaze me what the presence of a partner like Chara continues to do for his D partner, whether that`s Johnny B, Seids (although Seids is so steady on his own). Although I thought DH had a very nice debut on Saturday, having a partner like Z just allowed Hamilton to do some things, take some chances that I wouldn`t expect him to with say a Ference with all due respect to AF in yesterday`s game.

I still need to temper my excitement and realize that there will most likely be nights where we`ll see him have a rough one but what I have been most impressed with thus far has been when he`s made a bit of a coverage error, or a play that shows his age, the very next shift, you can tell he`s forgotten it already, hasn`t allowed it to play on his mind, and I suspect that having solid coaching and that vet presence has helped him.

Potential through the roof but I have to remember, this is an 18 year old kid

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

For me, Hamilton's biggest issues (since he was drafted) have been a complete lack of structure and discipline to his game. He'd take himself out of position chasing hits, chasing players 1on1, taking low percentage chances at intercepting passes, coming across to his partner's side of the ice and vacating the slot, etc... He just seemed to play on instinct.

But so far, he's sticking to the system here. He's not running around in his own zone. He's not vacating the front of the net without coverage, he's not chasing people outside his area. I mean, this for me, was going to be his biggest challenge, yet he's adapting beautifully. And, he's starting to integrate the other things that he can do, i.e. moving the puck smartly, jumping into the play, using his skating and reach, being physical... He's already exceeding my expectations.

He's not a finished product by any means and there will still be plenty of mistakes, but color me impressed with his ability to adapt, and excited for what this kid is going to be like, in this system, in a year or two as he gets stronger and more confident.
Great analysis. I haven nothing to add except to say that I think we are seeing the benefits of having Dougie develop in this system and with these coaches and players. Kudos to the coaching staff for integrating him into the team and system so quickly, and kudos to Dougie for taking coaching and making the adjustment. I also expect growing pains still, but he is having a better start than I thought he would.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:44 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

So when Seids is back, it's guaranteed that Hamilton stays up?

Chara, Ference, Boychuk, Seids, Mcquaid....Hamilton is a lock over Aaron Johnson? I guess so.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Was Pronger was healthy at that time?, I have to think if he wasn`t they would have picked Hamilton
No, remember in the 2011 playoffs that he had multiple issues? Knee, hand, back. The concussion he suffered last season was what finally did him in, but he was starting to fall apart physically before that.

Maybe the Flyers thought he'd last forever, or maybe they were just zeroed in on Courturier. Who knows?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

Chara, Ference, Boychuk, Seids, Mcquaid....Hamilton is a lock over Aaron Johnson? I guess so.
He isn't going anywhere.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
I've seen him play 2 periods of hockey with a B on his chest. He's the clear #6 in the pecking order at the very least. So mostly I was curious about how he's played compared to AJ. We know Claude will sit young guys when he feels they're not playing as well as the next guy.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post

I'm impressed by his on ice IQ... on the point wen he shoots, he does it with a purpose, it's not about to just shoot it on net, he does it in a way to make things happen, not a shoot and hope kind of thing.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
m0rieris

Hamilton most certainly looked like he has belonged the last several games. The same could also be said of Aaron Johnson who I thought played a very solid game. When Seidenberg is healthy, I'd consider sitting Mcquaid a game or two until he gets used to not tripping over himself and thus hurting himself as he is prone to do. Mcquaid has looked the most out of place on the blue line so far. I love Mcquaid, but he's looked the most rusty of any player out there to me.

m0rieris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Biggest changes I've noticed:

He's playing smarter on the point. Doesn't ind up with the big shot to try and beat a goalie with it. Someone has very wisely pointed out to him that these are NHL goalies. Ain't gonna happen. best play is to try and get it through and on net.

Defensive play is 100 times better. It's not the run and gun hockey he's use to in Niagara. Where I'm use to seeing DH do things in junior he's not doing in Boston. He's just being 100% smart about it.

Someone's teaching him well and he's smart enough to absorb it all in. There was no way he was going back to Niagara, even if we had a full season. He absolutely needed to be in Boston to make this next step.

How much is due to adrenaline is yet unknown. But a couple more games as solid as his first two and we'll have our answer.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Well I disagree. Those two people were wrong

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
tkddad

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet is that this is a super smart kid who excelled in school, getting >90% in Calculus, Physics while travelling all over Ontario playing in the OHL. We were super lucky to have drafted him.

I have always wondered who Chia would have picked if both Dougie and Couturier were available. Based on our need on defense, I have no doubt that he would have drafted Hamilton. However, it would have been so tough to pass up on someone like Couturier.

tkddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:08 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Well I disagree. Those two people were wrong

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:20 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
I've seen him play 2 periods of hockey with a B on his chest. He's the clear #6 in the pecking order at the very least. So mostly I was curious about how he's played compared to AJ. We know Claude will sit young guys when he feels they're not playing as well as the next guy.
While I know what you're getting at I believe he did play the 2nd most minutes next to Z last night. Dougie isn't getting sent down, and it would appear until he starts to struggle he'll be in over AJ and possibly even AM. He's VERY unlikely to go back to Jr.

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Dougie looks awesome so far. He has been ice cold calm with the puck and I'm loving it. Not a hint of that Wideman/Corvo panic in his game at all.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

One thing that has stuck out for me, was his ability to pull off the crisp, high percentage outlet pass. Dare I say it is very Bourque-esque.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing that tape-to-tape stuff. Now all I need is a few bombs from the kid, top shelf, and I'll be a satisfied man.

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

real strong game for Hamilton. Already joined the rush more often then any other Dman we have. Uses his span and stick to break up a lot of plays. And played more physical than I expected. Had a couple of minor errors, but who doesn't. Chara was awesome and let Hamilton play his game. I'm sure there will be some big brain farts along the way when he loosens up, but so far he was great for a teen Dman.

BTW I think Johnson played a great 1st game as well. Solid D, physical, and knows what to do with the puck. Lone wolf will have to fight hard to keep his spot.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER View Post
One thing that has stuck out for me, was his ability to pull off the crisp, high percentage outlet pass. Dare I say it is very Bourque-esque.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing that tape-to-tape stuff. Now all I need is a few bombs from the kid, top shelf, and I'll be a satisfied man.
What impressed me more was that the kid had the balls to go deep into the O zone a couple of times.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Not trying to be insulting. It's just that when the entire board is all but having a simultaneous orgasm over his play in multiple threads and Claude is rewarding him by significantly increasing his ice time between games (23+ minutes in game #2), not to mention simply applying common sense to the situation (what does Hamilton gain by staying in juniors? how could he possibly improve beyond where he currently is there?), the answer should be self-evident.

Even if Hamilton falls off a cliff, he stays with Boston. It's in his best interest, in terms of long-term development, to stay with a professional club.

Johnson is the #7. He was impressive in the last game, but he's not going to edge out Hamilton. I could see an argument for him edging out McQuaid, who definitely looks rusty, but not Hamilton.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Cronuss

vCash: 2823
Very impressed with the kid so far. I didn't expect to see what I've witnessed in these first two games from him.

He is composed, but also aggressive on both the puck and opponents. Kid is like a ninja, too... sneaks into the offensive play well.

The only thing I've noticed as any sort of weakness is that he has had trouble keeping the puck in the zone.

Cronuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
DOGSTARMAN

The next real test for DH will be when he has Chris Neil or Kaleta, guys like that, drilling him in the back several times a game. If he can keep his composure with the puck when he realizes that's what's coming the whole game, he'll have done very well. That's his one weakness relative to NHL players, youth and needing to add some weight and strength (not that this is some huge problem). Will be interesting to see how he fars in those situations because otherwise he is off to an impressive start.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote