HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 11:55 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I could never convince myself to build around a goalie again, even if it's solid value like Dom at 19.
I won a draft by picking a goaltender in the first round. It's definitely feasible.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
By this point everyone drafting after me knows that I will never take a goalie in the first few rounds.

(Until eventually I buck the trend... maybe)
Everyone has their breaking point...the way this draft has started off, maybe you'll hit yours this year

Old
01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Going to put this guy closer to where he belongs in the draft:

With our first pick of the ATD 2013, the Guelph Platers select,

RW, Jaromir Jagr

Pming the next guys
I'm thrilled.I actually like this pick a lot.

I would prefer if people would put pictures that are more representative of the player's career (in this case Jagr in a Pittsburgh Jersey) but hey , this is none of my business

Old
01-21-2013, 12:01 PM
monster_bertuzzi

To be completely honest...I gave Jags a serious look at #15.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
markrander87

I really like the Jagr pick, glad to see him getting some more respect. I'm not sold on Morenz all around play let, i'll need some convincing for him in that department.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Yeah he's a guy that we're specifically looking forward to researching. He definitely does seem to be preferred to Shore in his era (that 1950 National Press Poll that named him the best ever for one thing), plus he seems to at least be solid defensively (or at least willing nonetheless).

Like I said, I'm interested to see what else we find.
I've read a few things that have me wondering if his physical game is under-rated.

I've read about some epic battles between Morenz and Eddie Shore. Not fights, but one-upping eachother in the physical department. If Shore knocked Morenz down on a one-on-one, the next time Morenz would put the puck through Shore and just run him over.

This was said by a guy who played defense against Morenz: "Morenz never even bothered to skate around me. He just came straight at me - and then over me!"

Hopefully, vecens and I can put together a great bio here.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:20 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Blatantly talking about an undrafted "who should be drafted very soon" without naming him is worse than mentioning a name in passing. I deleted the post and the one quoting it.

If anyone disagrees with this course of action, let me know.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:23 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

no problem

Old
01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Blatantly talking about an undrafted "who should be drafted very soon" without naming him is worse than mentioning a name in passing. I deleted the post and the one quoting it.

If anyone disagrees with this course of action, let me know.

I 100% agree. It could influece ones decision.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:26 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Who were they talking about?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I apologize.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:27 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
I've read a few things that have me wondering if his physical game is under-rated.

I've read about some epic battles between Morenz and Eddie Shore. Not fights, but one-upping eachother in the physical department. If Shore knocked Morenz down on a one-on-one, the next time Morenz would put the puck through Shore and just run him over.

This was said by a guy who played defense against Morenz: "Morenz never even bothered to skate around me. He just came straight at me - and then over me!"

Hopefully, vecens and I can put together a great bio here.
Yeah, here's a quote by Conn Smythe about Morenz:

Quote:
"The trouble is," said Conn Smythe, "that writers are always talking about what a great scorer Morenz is. Which is true enough. But they overlook the fact that he's a great two-way player."
I've found a bunch of other stuff spoken by guys that are undrafted right now, so you guys will have to wait for that in a bio. But I do think it's fair to say that Morenz was actually pretty tough. Not in the tradition sense of going out of his way to check people, but in the way that he had no problem rushing right at people, and he never avoided contact.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:29 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Nice. Jags is just laughably easy to build around - can set up his linemates just as easily as he can dangle around 2 defenders and put the puck in the net himself.
True, his balance and personal ability to make things happen on his own is very valuable.

Quote:
I actually think the difficulty in building around Jagr is why he usually fell farther than his raw talent would indicate.

(Well, that and the tradition of this forum to overrate the intangibles, both good and bad, of modern players, and in Jagr's case, the intangibles are negative).
I think that, outside of the Washington years, those negative intangibles are overblown. And when picking Jagr, is anyone picking him for those years?

Quote:
He needs to play a certain style or he'll sulk and be less effective. I don't think a traditional ATD line build around Jagr would really work.
I agree with this.. I think that you have to let Jagr do his thing for him to be most effective.

The thing is, I don't think that is an awful lot different than any other player of his kind of offensive pedigree.

No one is telling Gretzky or Lemieux that he has to lay the body on guys either, right?

Quote:
I could never convince myself to build around a goalie again, even if it's solid value like Dom at 19.
I was seriously seriously considering a couple of goaltenders, including Hasek.

At this point the value is starting to scream steal.

Quote:
By this point everyone drafting after me knows that I will never take a goalie in the first few rounds.

(Until eventually I buck the trend... maybe)
I guess the problem is that with 32 teams, is anyone really going to have a starter that is going to cause their team to lose outright?

Old
01-21-2013, 12:38 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

I adding through round 4 to the OP. It was time consuming and tedious. If someone else could do the next couple of rounds, it would be appreciated.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:39 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I guess the problem is that with 32 teams, is anyone really going to have a starter that is going to cause their team to lose outright?
Unless it's unreal value, snagging a goalie in the 13-25 range is the way to go IMO.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I don't think Morenz is overrated at #18, and I would draft him before Clarke and Trottier, but after Mikita. So I guess that means I've got him 5th among the centers. Howie's defense is likely overrated by that Smythe quote, I'll say that. I've read pretty extensively on those old Habs teams, and while it was said that he began working on his defensive game towards the middle of his career (specifically, he tried to learn a hook check from a teammate), I've never seen any indication that he got very far with it, which is not surprising as his style of play wouldn't have been very conducive to hook-checking. None of the game reports I've ever come across paint the picture of Morenz as an especially good defensive player. I can believe that he was a reliable up-and-down checker who would cover his man, but I doubt he was ever anything more than that. He was, at any rate, never better than the 3rd best defensive forward on his team, and the 2nd best on his own line. And the Habs of that era were not known as a defensive team.

Brilliant offensive player, but there are still some questions about his playoff production after the first two postseasons. Either NHL teams figured him out in the playoffs, or he ran out of gas late in the season, because something seems a little off. Morenz over Mikita doesn't make any sense to me without a lot more evidence of Howie's defensive prowess, because offensively they are close, and we know what a fine checker Mikita was. It's possible I'll change my mind on that point, but I'd need to see more than one loose quote to move the needle.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Hawkey Town 18

I can't edit the OP, but here's the whole list. Someone who can please copy this in there and then delete this post.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-21-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: thanks
Old
01-21-2013, 01:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I can't edit the OP, but here's the whole list. Someone who can please copy this in there and then delete this post.
Thanks. Properly formatting all that is going to be tedious, but at least everyone can see it in the OP now for trading purposes.

Edit: I had to delete it from the OP. Modo has pick 129, not Johnny Engine.

Edit2: Thanks for fixing it.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 01-21-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:41 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
I hate first round picks ... too many good players available, no team strategy/theme locked in yet, and there are no filled roster spots to help guide me ... four guys I absolutely love right now, and I was 10 seconds away from just flipping a coin between two of them, but looking at the previous picks and seeing Bobby Hull and Mario Lemieux in the division helps make up my mind.

From Winchester, Ontario ... D Larry Robinson

Old
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
I hate first round picks ... too many good players available, no team strategy/theme locked in yet, and there are no filled roster spots to help guide me ... four guys I absolutely love right now, and I was 10 seconds away from just flipping a coin between two of them, but looking at the previous picks and seeing Bobby Hull and Mario Lemieux in the division helps make up my mind.

From Winchester, Ontario ... D Larry Robinson

Great pick. You can't go wrong starting off your team with him.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:57 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Great pick. You can't go wrong starting off your team with him.
Easily a top 10 defenceman with giant size and ability to control games.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:28 PM
BubbaBoot

Alright, just got in from a bunch of errands.....give me a couple of minutes.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
BubbaBoot

OKAY...

Generally I like the idea of picking the best player available, but since this is starting from scratch you want to go strong down the middle. The usual suspects have been picked accordingly and a couple of those I thought might remain, didn't.

- I'm going with a team leader, an offensive force in the early years, taking care of business in the 2nd half of his career.
- A mean SOB playing with an edge and who'd be suspended a number of times if he played in today's NHL. The man who patented the "crosscheck to the back and work up to the neck but take one hand of the stick to make it look subtle" maneuver.
- 3 time Stanley Cup winner with a Conn Smythe.
- 5 time all-star, although I don't think he cared too much about that.

Someone who I hated but begrudgingly admired greatly throughout his career. I also believe in defense first and I'm naming him team captain right off the stick: SCOTT STEVENS

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 01-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Alright, just got in from a bunch of errands.....give me a couple of minutes.
Just wanted to remind you since this is your first ATD...make sure you send a PM to the next GM on the list after you pick to let him know it's his turn.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
SCOTT STEVENS

Woah, baby.. this will generate some discussion.

Closed Thread