HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 05:30 AM
jkrx

vCash: 500
The Firebirds are proud to announce our first round draft pick of the ATD 2013.

Bryan Trottier, C

Old
01-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
Perhaps you're correct, but if we had picked 6th we would have taken Shore. I'm not trying to speak for everyone so please don't take my post as disagreeing with you. I'm simply offering one team's opinion.
I think many people view Shore as weaker defensively and more of a loose cannon than he really was. But I'll reserve judgment until I'm done with my research. At this point, Eddie is still something of an unknown commodity...the only one within the top half of the 1st round, really. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more in-depth research done on his career to this point.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:34 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
And the aversion around starting one's team with a pure offensive player (not named Gretzky or Lemieux). I think this even counts for Eddie Shore, although we shall see if that is justified or not. Seeing Shore and Hull fall out of the top-10 is strange to me.

I actually think it is easier to start building the offense around a winger simply because the center position is so much deeper, but to each his own.

edit: I've got a pretty good idea how I would build around Bobby, but it is unconventional and would not be that easy to pull off in terms of getting the right support personnel. I am curious to see what MadAr has up his sleeve.
I never quite understood what's with the 'hard to build around' with Hull to be honest. He worked well with pretty much anyone, and I do not subscribe to the 'too many skilled players for one puck' mantra. I have nothing prepared yet, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Shore is the first guy who I will be researching. He is such an icon, and yet it is troubling to me how little specific knowledge we have about precisely what he did and did not do in his career. I aim to remedy that problem. Reds, if you're interested, I'll post my findings on Eddie's career in the Dirt thread over the next few weeks.
That'd be great. Cheers!

Old
01-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I never quite understood what's with the 'hard to build around' with Hull to be honest. He worked well with pretty much anyone, and I do not subscribe to the 'too many skilled players for one puck' mantra. I have nothing prepared yet, but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.
Agreed. I never thought he'd fall to 12. I was just hoping you or Reds would go off the board with Trottier and I'd swoop in and get Shore or Hull.

Last edited by Hawkman: 01-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 05:46 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Finding a center who would work well with Hull was an issue in Chicago his entire time there.

Old
01-21-2013, 05:46 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Could someone text/phone call Leaf Lander to get him to make his roster post!

It's holding up the next division.

And LL may not log on for days (I sent him a PM but don't think he'll be around much, expecting his next pick is near the end of round 2 and he, well, disappears).

Old
01-21-2013, 06:40 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Shore is the first guy who I will be researching. He is such an icon, and yet it is troubling to me how little specific knowledge we have about precisely what he did and did not do in his career. I aim to remedy that problem. Reds, if you're interested, I'll post my findings on Eddie's career in the Dirt thread over the next few weeks.
i did a lot of reading in newspapers about shore a couple of drafts ago (was hoping to get shore, but got bobby hull). i found many interesting things, and posted some of it in the dirt thread.

that is also how i got into researching the origins of the power play. imo, shore's ability to control and dictate play, and his importance to boston, and to the NHL more generally, is not very well appreciated. shore was a huge superstar who was a big draw on the road, even though he was widely hated. i found a poll of writers and editors from 1934 in which shore as voted by a very wide margin the NHL's biggest box office attraction. shore got 24 votes. TML got 6 and NYR got 1.

red storey said shore was the bobby orr of his era. shore was often the spearhead of boston's attack, and was central in boston's "power plays," and apparently also in "pressure hockey."

shore is also one of the earliest known divers.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:52 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Finding a center who would work well with Hull was an issue in Chicago his entire time there.
You'd ideally like someone with wheels to even keep up with him, that's for sure.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:19 AM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i did a lot of reading in newspapers about shore a couple of drafts ago (was hoping to get shore, but got bobby hull). i found many interesting things, and posted some of it in the dirt thread.

that is also how i got into researching the origins of the power play. imo, shore's ability to control and dictate play, and his importance to boston, and to the NHL more generally, is not very well appreciated. shore was a huge superstar who was a big draw on the road, even though he was widely hated. i found a poll of writers and editors from 1934 in which shore as voted by a very wide margin the NHL's biggest box office attraction. shore got 24 votes. TML got 6 and NYR got 1.

red storey said shore was the bobby orr of his era. shore was often the spearhead of boston's attack, and was central in boston's "power plays," and apparently also in "pressure hockey."

shore is also one of the earliest known divers.
For those who haven't read what you have posted about power plays, originally the power play referred to any situation with four or five skaters on the attack in the offensive zone for an extended period of time, instead of just three forwards and an occasional blueline rusher. It was often used with a man advantage but was also used at even strength.

And yes, many sources show that Shore was a pioneer in the use of the power play, and Boston's attack was built around his ability to execute the power play.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:22 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
You'd ideally like someone with wheels to even keep up with him, that's for sure.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:36 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
For those who haven't read what you have posted about power plays, originally the power play referred to any situation with four or five skaters on the attack in the offensive zone for an extended period of time, instead of just three forwards and an occasional blueline rusher. It was often used with a man advantage but was also used at even strength.

And yes, many sources show that Shore was a pioneer in the use of the power play, and Boston's attack was built around his ability to execute the power play.
thanks. i had included a short description of ES power plays in that post, but mistakenly deleted it when i was revising it to make the post shorter.

early in shore's career, it was conventional to leave d-men standing in the neutral zone while F's attacked. or sometimes a F would stay back while a d-man joined the attack. shore was central in a new, more offensive style of hockey.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
And the aversion around starting one's team with a pure offensive player (not named Gretzky or Lemieux). I think this even counts for Eddie Shore, although we shall see if that is justified or not. Seeing Shore and Hull fall out of the top-10 is strange to me.
It does not count Shore. My research into him says that he was a great defensive player in the second half of his career.

01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
It does not count Shore. My research into him says that he was a great defensive player in the second half of his career.
shore was also more disciplined in 2nd half of his career.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
monster_bertuzzi

The Millionares are going to make defenceman Red Kelly the 15th pick.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Jafar
C'est la vie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
very good pick

Old
01-21-2013, 10:12 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
very good pick
Thanks.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Fiddlesticks, Kelly was the guy I was going to draft.

In any event the Blades select the other guy on their shortlist. The Blades are pleased to select Centre Bobby Clarke at Pick #16 in the 2013 ATD.

Next has been pmed

Last edited by tony d: 01-21-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Fiddlesticks, Kelly was the guy I was going to draft.

In any event the Blades select the other guy on their shortlist. The Blades are pleased to select Centre Bobby Clarke at Pick #16 in the 2013 ATD.

Next has been pmed
I had a feeling he was next on your ranking for some reason. Nice pick, and he's very highly respected around here.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
very good pick
Yeah Kelly was number 1 on our short list.

Solid pick.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
I'll admit I'm a fan of Bobby Clarke, but I don't understand why he's been picked under Bryan Trottier in two straight draft. Actually, I thought Trottier being picked in the mid-teens was an exception last year. I still have a few forwards & goaltenders over him.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:46 AM
BraveCanadian

Going to put this guy closer to where he belongs in the draft:

With our first pick of the ATD 2013, the Guelph Platers select,

RW, Jaromir Jagr

Pming the next guys

Old
01-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:

RW, Jaromir Jagr

Pming the next guys
You...

Old
01-21-2013, 10:49 AM
vecens24

Quote:

RW, Jaromir Jagr

Pming the next guys
Oh you're such a *******.

Our short list is pretty much decimated, as it went Kelly, Jagr, Trottier, Clarke. Going to have to confer with Dreakmur.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Jaromir Jagr definitely belong in the Top-20 I think. A good spot for him.

Closed Thread