HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Firms make $3.5B bid to buyout entire NHL

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2005, 06:17 AM
predperson

vCash: 500
Firms make $3.5B bid to buyout entire NHL

Quote:
A Wall Street buyout firm and a sports advisory company reportedly made a joint proposal to buy all 30 NHL teams for as much as $3.5 billion.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Quote:
The purchase would not be dependent on the NHL reaching agreement with the players on a collective bargaining deal, and a sale would not affect the status of the NHL Players' Association as the bargaining agent for players under U.S. and Canadian labor laws.

Old
03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4503
Wow
There is no way if all teams needed to agree which i assume would be required for approval of sale that it could happen but what a concept regardless.I bet there are at least a few teams that would jump at that offer.Hopefully an article with more details on this plan is made public.

Old
03-03-2005, 07:57 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

That's what the NHL teams need. The NHL owners don't want to work together. The small markets want a piece of the larger markets and the larger markets want to keep all their money. They both need each other, unless you take it back to the original 6.

Old
03-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Pred303

other than this as a warning shot fired over the bow of the NHLPA that the league has other options, i have no concept about how this would really work...would it mean small market teams would be contracted because they weren't profitable?...you would think it would increase the likelihood at first glance...is my initial fear over this type of concept

but then again maybe for nationwide television exposure regional teams would be safe.....you would assume this hypothetical corporate league would probably set a base salary for each team,say 35 million,hire a GM to run each franchise and see what he could do..it would virtually eliminate salary competion you would think...and free agency as we know it...

but would it mean the 'corporation' simply trades all name players to the big media markets in hope television ratings would increase?...it could,i know that's happened to some extent in MLS,the only similiarly corporate owned sports league

the corporation would almost surely set 'salary guidelines' as they do in real corporations and totally gut any need for existance for the nhlpa,again as we know it,in doing so

all in all an intriguing,confusing,question generating,unsettling proposal to me...that leaves me more confused and scratching my head than it does about me feeling this is an answer

Old
03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
This would very a very interesting arrangement. The offer of 3.5 billion or 117 million a team is probably reasonable, though a little low (unless lockout damage is very severe to NHL franchises).

I am intrigued by this because of the almost limitless possibilities that would arise. And, under joint ownership such as this, small market teams would only be contracted if the company felt that there was no way they would be financially viable.

Revenue sharing would appear to be a given. They could do what the NFL does. All TV money goes to the NFL offices and 40% of gate goes to the NFL office. This money is redistributed out to the teams. With one owner, all funds from local TV deals to merchandise sales could, along with national TV deals, gate, and payments from private providers, go to the league office and then could be redistributed evenly to the teams. If you wanted to run the NHL like a business and as a business, that would likely be the best course of action. It would bring all teams on an equal financial footing and make winning based solely on the merits of those who work and play for the team and not on money. It would bring legitimate parity to the NHL (not lucky run parity which is what NHLPA supporters cling to).

Old
03-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I dont like the sound of this. Sure it would make some of the small market teams competitive (such as Columbus and Nashville), but would they be around in that small market anymore to be competive.

This worries me...

03-03-2005, 02:55 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
It's never going to happen

Old
03-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
It's never going to happen
and you know this because? ... how many owners are WILLING to fold/contract their teams if their isn't a good CBA or have to wait more than 2 years?

Old
03-03-2005, 03:52 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
This could easily be another NHL-backed PR stunt to scare the NHLPA.

Old
03-03-2005, 04:09 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
and you know this because? ... how many owners are WILLING to fold/contract their teams if their isn't a good CBA or have to wait more than 2 years?
because there is no way in hell that all 30 teams are going to agree to sell their teams.

Old
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Mike Francessa went on a tirade about this today, concluding with:

"Well, you can say I don't know or that I'm not informed enough to say this...but this will NEVER happen, and I think it's comical that they even gave it a meeting."

He made several good points about how this would DESTROY any parity in the league. The league could manipulate the way things happened, practically "fixing" things to make sure that the teams that would benefit "the corporation" were the ones winning. The Rangers, the Flyers, the Leafs...these teams would be perennial winners simply because that's the best way to make a profit. We'd see a league in which a select few teams are the Globetrotters and the rest are the Generals. Teams could be removed or moved at the league's whim, without the pesky nag of an "owner" to hold them up.

Most of all..EVEN THOUGH the game is in a state of disarray right now, the offer of 3.5 billion was lowballing the actual estimated value of about 5 billion.

Old
03-05-2005, 06:21 AM
predperson

Report: Firms to increase offer for NHL

Quote:
According to a report in Friday's Toronto Star, a Wall Street financial services corporation and a sports advisory firm are prepared to substantially increase their initial offer of $3.5 billion US to purchase the 30 NHL teams.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=117038

Closed Thread