HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis Signs Wade Redden [1 Year/$800,000]

Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
We were able to hide Huskins and Colaiacovo on that line for most of last year and came close to setting a League record for fewest goals against.
I can't imagine that Redden has deteriorated so much that he'd be a significant downgrade from Huskins or Cola.
So then why is everyone so afraid of putting Kris Russell or Ian Cole with Pietrangelo? If the moral of your story is that we can pair anyone with Pietrangelo and have success then why not those two? Russell actually looked really good in the playoffs last year.

I can't imagine Redden is better than either at 35 years old and having been out of the NHL for 2 years.

BTW, if this takes away playing time from Ian Cole, we might as well trade him now or in the summer because he'll never play for us.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
OilCanada92

Wade Redden signs with the Blues

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413877

1 yr 800,000 for the year. Not sure if its "offical" but media's contracts have been potentially printed.Talk about HUGE pay cut.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
So then why is everyone so afraid of putting Kris Russell or Ian Cole with Pietrangelo? If the moral of your story is that we can pair anyone with Pietrangelo and have success then why not those two? Russell actually looked really good in the playoffs last year.

I can't imagine Redden is better than either at 35 years old and having been out of the NHL for 2 years.

BTW, if this takes away playing time from Ian Cole, we might as well trade him now or in the summer because he'll never play for us.

Russell did look good; next to Polak. They compliment each other to a tee.

The entire reason we're even discussing Cole or Redden next to Pietrangelo is to keep our 2nd and 3rd pairings(which may be the best in the League) intact.

Hitch has already said publicly that Cole can't handle playing against top players; hence bringing in White on a PTO and now signing Redden. I know Cole has a lot of fans; but Hitch apparently isn't one of them and people need to come to grips with that fact.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
More likely:

Redden Pietrangelo
Jackman Shattenkirk
Russell Polak
Woywitka

Cole goes back to Peoria.

The 2nd and 3rd pairings have tremendous chemistry together, and Pietrangelo can cover up for any mistakes Redden makes.
That strikes me as being rather absurd. Redden really isn't second-pairing material anymore, let alone top-pairing. Why hobble Petro like that?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
I think it was probably Hitch who wanted him. I think he rebounds with the Blues, if he can't do with Hitch, then he is done in the NHL.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Low risk, high reward signing for the Blues

Gives us 8 NHL capable defensemen Pietrangelo, Jackman, Shattenkirk, Polak, Russell, Cole, Wyowtika, and now Redden. Throw in Chorney, Fairchild, and Cundari as possible AHL call-ups (depending on team need and current performance) and the Blues have some great depth on the blueline for once the injuries start to pile up.

Only person negatively affected by this is Colin White. He was in camp on a PTO contract. I can't imagine he gets a deal now that Redden has been brought in.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413877

1 yr 800,000 for the year. Not sure if its "offical" but media's contracts have been potentially printed.Talk about HUGE pay cut.
He gets money form being bought out, that isn't technically a pay cut for him until the time when his contract would have run out.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden has not played a NHL game in 33 months. April 11,2010. 35 years old.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
That strikes me as being rather absurd. Redden really isn't second-pairing material anymore, let alone top-pairing. Why hobble Petro like that?
Because putting him anywhere else hurts our 2nd and 3rd pairings and we need those 2 units to perform to implement our system.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
He is used to it by now

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Redden was one of the most solid citizens on and off the ice. In Ottawa he had a box for every home game called Wades World where kids from the Children s Hospital could watch games for free.

He did so much work for the Children s hospital that one of the wings is named for him and has a mural of he and is brother playing hockey on a prairie pond.

And when he left they took an ad out in the newspaper thanking him for his work. He was prominent with many charities besides the childrens hospital and reportedly did a lot of work under the radar.

He is a great guy in the locker room and in the community.
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about wade " the party machine" redden.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
The entire reason we're even discussing Cole or Redden next to Pietrangelo is to keep our 2nd and 3rd pairings(which may be the best in the League) intact.
I suppose that's fair, since Tyutin-Nikitin is our second pairing pretty much in name only.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
SelleckStache

Low risk, MEDIUM reward.

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Honeycutt

Quote:

Hitch has already said publicly that Cole can't handle playing against top players; hence bringing in White on a PTO and now signing Redden. I know Cole has a lot of fans; but Hitch apparently isn't one of them and people need to come to grips with that fact.
+1 i dont see why so many Blues fans are attached to Cole. IMHO Redden is going to be a solid pick up.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Hitch was on the 2006 Canadian Olympic team staff in Italy when Redden was on that team. Columbus tried to sign Redden in 2008 when Redden was a free agent. Hitch was the coach in Columbus. That's the connection.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
He gets money form being bought out, that isn't technically a pay cut for him until the time when his contract would have run out.
Pretty much, he got an 800,000$ raise for not living up to the contract he signed.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Hopefully redden has cleaned up his act off the ice and proves to be a good signing for the blues.
What the **** are you talking about? His mother died and he took a huge beating making passes earlier in his career. Any of the other off ice rumors have literally been said for almost every Ottawa Senator during Wade's time there.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

vCash: 645
I'm hoping he pulls a Souray and has a solid season.

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I'd be happy if I was him. 6.5 million and landing on a potential cup winning team.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
trytobe

Wish Gillis took a flyer on Redden with that pricetag. 800k is peanuts for a guy who used to be an all-star and seems to be a good locker room character. this is the definition of low risk high reward.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:

I'm just going to say it again, we're in trouble if Wade Redden is playing on our top pairing with Alex Pietrangelo.

And Polak-Jackman was one of our better defensive pairings last year. They shut down other teams top lines. I'd be surprised if any coach sacrifices the top pairing to save the 2nd and 3rd pairing.

BTW, where did Hitch say that about Cole? The only thing I've seen from him on Cole was high praise while he was in the AHL this year. Plus IIRC Cole was scrimmaging with Pietrangelo yesterday.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:02 PM
BlueSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
+1 i dont see why so many Blues fans are attached to Cole. IMHO Redden is going to be a solid pick up.
We are because he still has top 4 potential but has not been really given a chance on consistent basis to allow him to settle in.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Congratulations to both St. Louis and Wade Redden. I am happy to hear he will get to play the game he obviously still loves, and think the Blues will benefit from his leadership and experience. If his talent level is still what it could be, that is a bonus.

Good move all around.

I hope something similar happens for Gomez.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Alklha

Quote:

Got a link to this?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Model62

After the Kings' big forwards exposed the Blues' D last spring, it was clear something needed to be done.

This move seems like a no risk way to bring in a veteran who might be that something.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote