HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Old
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

vCash: 500
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

This game has my attention.
I haven't bought it yet, but it seems to be the next great strategy RPG.

Anyone picked it up? I am licking my chops to buy it this weekend, perhaps.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Shepard

I'm pretty excited about Awakening, but I'm in the US so I have to wait until Monday. The demo was great though.

Going to try to have Radiant Dawn finished by then, but that might be unrealistic.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:50 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

The Fire Emblem series is great. Here we are in 2013, and it uses the same unique formula that it started with on the NES when the original Fire Emblem was released way back in 1990. And unlike the rest of the gaming industry the developers are perfectly fine with that and their target audience happily eats it up.

It's really a shame that the similar Shining Force series never kept going in the same manner, rather than getting SEGA'd into oblivion.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

I've played all of the NA released FE games and I am pumped to get this game. Anyone getting the pre order bonus artbook?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:21 AM
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
I've played all of the NA released FE games and I am pumped to get this game. Anyone getting the pre order bonus artbook?
I pre-ordered at Gamestop, so I should be getting the art book.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Is it worth it to buy a 3DS? Does it have any good games?

I loved the DS when I got it in high school, but haven't played it very often (though I'll probably pick up Chrono Trigger again).

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:11 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 1117
I feel almost forced to buy a 3ds at this point.

Ocarina
Mario tennis
Kingdom Hearts
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart 7
There's gonna be a portable super smash bros
Star Fox 64

If they made NHL 14 for it I'd be sold.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I recommend a 3DS.
Buy the XL and you will never look back.

This game just strengthens that point.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I feel almost forced to buy a 3ds at this point.

Ocarina
Mario tennis
Kingdom Hearts
Fire Emblem
Mario Kart 7
There's gonna be a portable super smash bros
Star Fox 64

If they made NHL 14 for it I'd be sold.

In a recent interview, the developer for the new Smash Bros game said the 3DS version was focusing more on the single player experience, whereas the Wii-U will be more multiplayer based.
Definitely get Super Mario 3D Land too.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:49 PM
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
Is it worth it to buy a 3DS? Does it have any good games?

I loved the DS when I got it in high school, but haven't played it very often (though I'll probably pick up Chrono Trigger again).
Besides the games DuckJet mentioned, there's:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward* (the prequel - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is on DS and every bit as good)
Resident Evil Revelations (coming out on consoles soon though)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Pushmo
Crashmo
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Soul Hackers (releasing in a few months)
Dead or Alive Dimensions

*If you get VLR, just make sure you don't save in the puzzle rooms.

Last edited by Shepard: 01-31-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Don't forget!

Paper Mario!
Code of Princess!
Every Mario game!
Final Fantasy Theatrythm! (If you love FF, you will love this game)

Old
01-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Definitely going to pick this up. Kind of completely forgot about it. I have a $30 Futureshop Gift Card

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

This topic has been out of use for a while, but I downloaded the game a few days ago after being unable to find a copy for a couple of weeks of searching (unless I wanted to pay re-sellers' 100% markup) and I'm loving it. I'm only at I think chapter 8 or 9 right now as:

Spoil:
Emmeryn returned to the capitol and now my army is heading back after word came that she was captured and is going to be executed

but I'm having a blast. Chrom and Sumia are destroying everything in their path. For as much as Frederick feels like he's supposed to be the crutch character early on, these two put him to shame (though I've found he works quite well with Merial as support to help his weakness to magic) Which is funny because a lot of the strategies and guides I've read for character relationships hate pairing the two of Sumia with Chrom, partly because they dislike the supposed "canon" pairings and partly because they believe Sumia just isn't a good enough unit. Maybe they would be better off with other units, but I've found a few pairings that I think work just fine and I won't worry about trying anything different until a later playthrough.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 12 GP, 4-6-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
This topic has been out of use for a while, but I downloaded the game a few days ago after being unable to find a copy for a couple of weeks of searching (unless I wanted to pay re-sellers' 100% markup) and I'm loving it. I'm only at I think chapter 8 or 9 right now as:

Spoil:
Emmeryn returned to the capitol and now my army is heading back after word came that she was captured and is going to be executed

but I'm having a blast. Chrom and Sumia are destroying everything in their path. For as much as Frederick feels like he's supposed to be the crutch character early on, these two put him to shame (though I've found he works quite well with Merial as support to help his weakness to magic) Which is funny because a lot of the strategies and guides I've read for character relationships hate pairing the two of Sumia with Chrom, partly because they dislike the supposed "canon" pairings and partly because they believe Sumia just isn't a good enough unit. Maybe they would be better off with other units, but I've found a few pairings that I think work just fine and I won't worry about trying anything different until a later playthrough.
Yeah. What is up with that? Futureshop shows it in their online store, but it never became available.

Lecavilier_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 11:58 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
My Spotpass team has been blowing people up.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 02:13 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 View Post
Yeah. What is up with that? Futureshop shows it in their online store, but it never became available.
I've tried basically every retailer within a couple hundred kms plus a ton of US and Canadian online stores and found nothing. So I caved and bought the download version.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quick question from someone without Nintendo products right now:
Can this be downloaded in a WiiU version? Or is it exclusive to the 3DS?
Do 3DS games eventually get moved on to a Nintendo download area through their primary system?

Apologies but i'm just not sure how they business model these games.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:

Spoil:

My first playthrough I used Sumia heavily. She was my first promoted unit. She was a great unit early and midgame, but was completely outclassed once the other units caught up to her.

I barely touched her in my second playthrough.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Pick a god and pray!

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:46 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:

Spoil:

Sumia's damage just doesn't scale as well as Cordelia's, and there's no reason to level her up to pass on her traits either.

She can get Galeforce, but that doesn't matter once she stops being able to kill things.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:28 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

all valid points. But I'm too attached to my Sumia/Chrom deathsquad to change it now. I know that Cordelia is supposed to be the superior flier (and she does look to be on her way to passing Sumia if she catches up in level), but the fact that she can't support Chrom is a downside for her in this playthrough.

Once I've played through once I'll go back and make some more judicious choices with my character pairings (or go for some good old fashioned crack pairings). I know I've made a couple mistakes along the way (in retrospect, pairing the main character with Lissa was kind of a mistake with all the interesting later units coming along later on), but live and learn.

Still an awesome game. Still wish I could've had a physical copy if I wasn't so impatient.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
MayDay

Ordered the game online today (preferred a physical copy to a download - much better resale value later on).

Looking forward to trying it out.

MayDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Paradigm

I'm waiting to see if Nintendo releases an all black or all white 3DS XL; if they do, this will absolutely be my first buy for the system.

I've loved all the previous Fire Emblems I've played, and I look forward to one day playing this one.

Paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I've never played a Fire Emblem game or a strategy RPG. I have played plenty of turn based RPGs though. Do you guys think I'd like this game?

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 09:54 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I've never played a Fire Emblem game or a strategy RPG. I have played plenty of turn based RPGs though. Do you guys think I'd like this game?
Don't see why not. Only thing that may turn some people off with strategy JRPG's tend to be completely linear, where it's basically cut scene -> battle -> cut scene -> battle -> cut scene -> battle -> ...etc all the way till the end.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote