HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Butler on waivers

Old
01-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
McElhinney, Porter, Butler all clear Waivers.

Good.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

So if he's brought up and sent back again this year he doesn't need to clear waivers again? Correct?

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
So if he's brought up and sent back again this year he doesn't need to clear waivers again? Correct?
I think that's only for a month after he clears waivers. If they want to send him down next month they'll have to waive him again.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Billdo

vCash: 300
This kind of makes no sense to me. The 4th line from last year becomes our third line now? And Josefson is centering Matteau and Jansen? Expect that line to see maybe 5 minutes unless they start double shifting Kovy with them. Kind of a head scratcher. I still don't know why we have Barch and Cam to be honest. One I can understand but we don't need both.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

What a smart management move by Lou.

But wait, I`m pretty sure I`ve seen multiple posters push the panic button. How uncharacteristic.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 732DevilsFan View Post
This kind of makes no sense to me. The 4th line from last year becomes our third line now? And Josefson is centering Matteau and Jansen? Expect that line to see maybe 5 minutes unless they start double shifting Kovy with them. Kind of a head scratcher. I still don't know why we have Barch and Cam to be honest. One I can understand but we don't need both.
Quit being such a pessimist. We're playing on the other side of the Hudson. Cangialosi is going to be screaming MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! tonight, and the few Rags fans who accidentally turned the wrong MSG channel on will get all teary-eyed.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

But wait, I`m pretty sure I`ve seen multiple posters push the panic button. How uncharacteristic.
Better to sneak him through waivers now, but the move was a little confusing still.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post

True. But I think more people were in an uproar because they assumed he would make the team given his play in Albany and our lack of forward depth.

But then again, no one but the coaching staff was at those practices.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
apice3*

Kind of surprised he didn't get claimed. I know he's not an elite talent by any means, but the Islander have been waiver happy, I thought a team like them would claim him.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:21 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Better to sneak him through waivers now, but the move was a little confusing still.
In retrospect, it actually made sense. At the time, I had no idea what was going on because I assumed Matteau was going to juniors, but with keeping him someone had to go.

Very smart move by Lou to squeeze an extra day of camp out of Butler. Not sure how much it helps, but it can't hurt.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Kind of surprised he didn't get claimed. I know he's not an elite talent by any means, but the Islander have been waiver happy, I thought a team like them would claim him.
Someone pointed out in the team news thread that it was a genius move by Lou. If anyone claimed Butler that late, they would have had to move someone down for him, and it was already past the deadline. If a team claimed Butler and tried to move him down, he'd have to go through waivers again.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:55 PM
apice3*

Very good point. Never would have thought to exploit Tedenby's waiver exemption to keep a 23 man roster full for opening night.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Billdo

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
Quit being such a pessimist. We're playing on the other side of the Hudson. Cangialosi is going to be screaming MATTEAU! MATTEAU! MATTEAU! tonight, and the few Rags fans who accidentally turned the wrong MSG channel on will get all teary-eyed.
Im not being a pessimist, I never said it wouldn't work. I was just surprised by the move as it makes no sense IMO. Clearly you know more about these things than I do though.

Billdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Damn right. I'm from the future. It says I signed up in January of 2013, but what it leaves out is, it was a week from now.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:29 PM
apice3*

The 4th line plays like a 3rd line anyway. If they can play like they did in the playoffs.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
The 4th line plays like a 3rd line anyway. If they can play like they did in the playoffs.
I'll concede that they played a huge role in our run with timely goal scoring and up tempo banging, but they also were pinned back quite a bit and benefited from good fortune at both ends of the ice.

I think we'll see a regression in their play regardless, and counting on them for third line minutes would be folly.

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
They won't. I expect some heavy regression, but they'll still be better than the dross we had on the fourth line all last season.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I been saying since the re signing of Salvador that this 8 defensemen thing is gonna be the root of problems, and that's what this stems down to. And the fact that management won't waive Janssen.

With the decision to send down Butler, and not Janssen, I wouldn't be surprised if a defenseman is not traded. I'm still thinking that we will, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're just gonna wait, and see if someone on the defense needs to go to LTIR after so long.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
apice3*

Janssen needs to be on the roster if Barch is out. Enforcers still play a role in the NHL.

Old
01-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
pure gold!!!!

Mory Schneideur* is offline   Reply With Quote