HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
  #451
pooleboy
Registered User
 
pooleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Would be nice if something like this could happen...

Reilly + 2nd for Duchene

and

Bozak + Colborne for Luongo
no it wouldn't. we should never trade Rielly till we know 100% he isn't going to be a #1 D

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #452
Dwight K Schrute
Registered User
 
Dwight K Schrute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Scranton
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
no it wouldn't. we should never trade Rielly till we know 100% he isn't going to be a #1 D
I'm pretty sure it is more important to get a #1C... something we have lacked since Sundin left. We already have a great young player in Gardiner at the point to go along with some other solid prospects like percy and finn. I think if they were willing to move Duchene you move anyone from the backend they want.

Dwight K Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:24 PM
  #453
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Would be nice if something like this could happen...

Reilly + 2nd for Duchene

and

Bozak + Colborne for Luongo
Would be nice if Leafs fans could just exercise some patience, and let this season play out as it might. We have lots of opportunity next off season, perhaps some very good draft picks, perhaps some elite UFA's...another year of our youngsters and prospect progressing and perhaps this will allow us to make a trade knowing more what we have and don't.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
  #454
ACC1224
Steelers 2-0 @ Phily
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 37,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Would be nice if Leafs fans could just exercise some patience, and let this season play out as it might. We have lots of opportunity next season, perhaps some very good draft picks, perhaps some elite UFA's...another year of our youngsters and prospect progressing and perhaps this will allow us to make a trade knowing more what we have and don't.
I think this is the approach Nonis is taking.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 PM
  #455
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
Nonis signed him LOL
Nonis traded for him, Gillis signed him to his current deal.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:32 PM
  #456
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,494
vCash: 500
Wonder if Det. wants Lu, but gotta trade Howard out first. Detroit apparently likes Franson (thought I heard or read somewhere last week from one of the insiders). I wonder if Lu goes to Det for Filppula. But first we acquire Howard for a package built around Franson, Mac/Kulemin?. Detroit's got some issues, they're hurting with injuries and Carlo is a china doll. I could see the interest in Franson.

Just spitballing off of Gillis' comments and teams' needs.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
  #457
Deebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
Hate on Gillis is unwarranted. If Burke would do half the things Gillis did, we would be in the playoffs. Instead of projecting personal beliefs and morals onto the team and actually making moves that'll get us good, he wouldn't have been fired. How could you let generation talent like Stamkos slip by without even trying? We could've signed Stamkos or crippled an Eastern Conference team for a long time.
TB would have matched, just like nashville matched philly's offersheet, period. It would have been a futile exercise to sign him to an offersheet. It'd be a pretty large assumption to think that Stamkos was even open to signing an offersheet.

There is a reason that there has only been 1 player to actually switch teams via an offersheet in 15 years -- it doesn't work.

Even if it was good idea to try and "cripple" another team, that hasn't happened because of an offersheet. name a team that has been "crippled" by matching an offersheet.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
  #458
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 39,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Wonder if Det. wants Lu, but gotta trade Howard out first. Detroit apparently likes Franson (thought I heard or read somewhere last week from one of the insiders). I wonder if Lu goes to Det for Filppula. But first we acquire Howard for a package built around Franson, Mac/Kulemin?. Detroit's got some issues, they're hurting with injuries and Carlo is a china doll. I could see the interest in Franson.

Just spitballing off of Gillis' comments and teams' needs.
Why on earth does anyone need to package anything to get Jimmy Howard? As a goalie, he's on the level with Franson, Mac and Kulemin as far as being ordinary players.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:42 PM
  #459
ACC1224
Steelers 2-0 @ Phily
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 37,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
TB would have matched, just like nashville matched philly's offersheet, period. It would have been a futile exercise to sign him to an offersheet. It'd be a pretty large assumption to think that Stamkos was even open to signing an offersheet.

There is a reason that there has only been 1 player to actually switch teams via an offersheet in 15 years -- it doesn't work.

Even if it was good idea to try and "cripple" another team, that hasn't happened because of an offersheet. name a team that has been "crippled" by matching an offersheet.
The Sabres.

The Edmonton dynasty in the making would be in Buffalo.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:43 PM
  #460
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Why on earth does anyone need to package anything to get Jimmy Howard? As a goalie, he's on the level with Franson, Mac and Kulemin as far as being ordinary players.
So you wouldn't like him over our tandem?

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:49 PM
  #461
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Wonder if Det. wants Lu, but gotta trade Howard out first. Detroit apparently likes Franson (thought I heard or read somewhere last week from one of the insiders). I wonder if Lu goes to Det for Filppula. But first we acquire Howard for a package built around Franson, Mac/Kulemin?. Detroit's got some issues, they're hurting with injuries and Carlo is a china doll. I could see the interest in Franson.

Just spitballing off of Gillis' comments and teams' needs.

Howard would be a good addition at a reasonable cost.

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
  #462
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
at least Luongo deserves that money how in the heck does Grabo get paid so much that is the really ridiculous deal
And just how does Luongo deserve his ridiculous contract?

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  #463
SteveV*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
Hate on Gillis is unwarranted. If Burke would do half the things Gillis did, we would be in the playoffs.
That's hilarious!! Pretty much every hockey guy credits Burke and Nonis for assembling the squad in Vancouver, which Gillis INHERITED.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
  #464
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
That's hilarious!! Pretty much every hockey guy credits Burke and Nonis for assembling the squad in Vancouver, which Gillis INHERITED.
Well he did re-sign players that other people brought in so that should qualify him as a genius

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  #465
iArts
ಠ_ಠ
 
iArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
And just how does Luongo deserve his ridiculous contract?
By being a top 5 goalie in the world for many years.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
  #466
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
no it wouldn't. we should never trade Rielly till we know 100% he isn't going to be a #1 D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Would be nice if Leafs fans could just exercise some patience, and let this season play out as it might. We have lots of opportunity next off season, perhaps some very good draft picks, perhaps some elite UFA's...another year of our youngsters and prospect progressing and perhaps this will allow us to make a trade knowing more what we have and don't.
I totally get what you guys are saying but that's not a bad move to make. Sometimes if you wait to find out exactly what you've got, everyone else also knows too.

Rielly could be a #1 D and Duchene could not be a #1C. Or the opposite could happen.

I for one would be really excited with this lineup:

Lupul - Duchene - Kessel
Macarthur - Grabovski - MacArthur
Van Reimsdyk - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Komisarek - Gunnersson
Franson - Liles
Kostka

Luongo
Reimer

Potential #1C - Matt Duchene
#1D - Dion Phaneuf
#1G - Roberto Luongo


Last edited by marty111: 01-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.
marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
  #467
EDDIE20*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
By being a top 5 goalie in the world for many years.
Yeah, I forgot. All those Cups and Vezinas....

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
  #468
iArts
ಠ_ಠ
 
iArts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto,ON,Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE20 View Post
Yeah, I forgot. All those Cups and Vezinas....
Ah yes, because one player is supposed to win a cup by himself.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:44 PM
  #469
The Missing Piece
What's Left?
 
The Missing Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I totally get what you guys are saying but that's not a bad move to make. Sometimes if you wait to find out exactly what you've got, everyone else also knows too.

Rielly could be a #1 D and Duchene could not be a #1C. Or the opposite could happen.

I for one would be really excited with this lineup:

Lupul - Duchene - Kessel
Macarthur - Grabovski - MacArthur
Van Reimsdyk - Kadri - Komarov
Brown - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Gardiner
Komisarek - Gunnersson
Franson - Liles
Kostka

Luongo
Reimer

Potential #1C - Matt Duchene
#1D - Dion Phaneuf
#1G - Roberto Luongo
Mac is going to have a tough time doing that I think.

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  #470
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Missing Piece View Post
Mac is going to have a tough time doing that I think.
mac?

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  #471
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
The Winter Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 42,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Lolwut.. how are you comparing Grabovski to Luongo. They share almost nothing in common..
Why don't you explain why you think Luongo does not deserve the 5.33M or why Grabo deserves 5.5 rather than LOLWUT a response? I want to see just how you can formulate a premise. Or even if it's possible?

LOL

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
  #472
Cor
OT Thread Leader
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,671
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
mac?
he has MacArthur on both wings on the second line

Mac = MacArthur

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  #473
TheDoubleDion87
Registered User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Luongo is a good goalie but I couldn't be more against this. We don't have the assets to be trading for veteran all-stars with big long term contracts right now. Luongo MIGHT get us into the playoffs this year but the assets we'd have to give up to get him would set us back a couple seasons of sucktitude and I don't really know why people want to so that. Scrivens has potential, Rynnass has potential and Reimer has potential, the smart thing to do is be patient and wait til one of them (knock on wood) is able to take on the starting role. Scrivens has been fine so far I don't even see the need for improvement, especially considering we haven't even SEEN Reimer yet this year.

Do people just not to pay attention to the fact he's a 33 year old who's going to be paid 5 and a half million dollars for the next decade? By the time we're ready to make a playoff run he'll be waaaay past his prime and ready to retire? He just lost his starting job to a rookie even though he's playing behind one of the best teams in the league?

If we're gonna target a goalie we need to target Johnathon Bernier, there's a goalie who actually makes sense for us to give up some assets for.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
  #474
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Why don't you explain why you think Luongo does not deserve the 5.33M or why Grabo deserves 5.5 rather than LOLWUT a response? I want to see just how you can formulate a premise. Or even if it's possible?

LOL
Let me give it a shot. The yearly cap # does favor Luongo, that is Luongo deserves his cap more than Grabo. If that was all there was to it, I too would agree with your proposal for a Luongo-Grabo 1-1 trade. Of course that is not the problem...it's the TERM of the contracts and RETIREMENT provisions. Those swing the comparatives dramatically in favor to the Grabo contract, even though Grabo's term while excessive at 5 more years, is not even in the same league as Luongo's 10 more years with cap toxic retirement provisions. That plus the fact that Grabo is 5 years younger than Luongo. I don't really like the Grabo contract; I just like it so much more than the Luongo one.... But you know this already.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:25 PM
  #475
The Winter Soldier
Registered User
 
The Winter Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: China
Posts: 42,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Let me give it a shot. The yearly cap # does favor Luongo, that is Luongo deserves his cap more than Grabo. If that was all there was to it, I too would agree with your proposal for a Luongo-Grabo 1-1 trade. Of course that is not the problem...it's the TERM of the contracts and RETIREMENT provisions. Those swing the comparatives dramatically in favor to the Grabo contract, even though Grabo's term while excessive at 5 more years, is not even in the same league as Luongo's 10 more years with cap toxic retirement provisions. That plus the fact that Grabo is 5 years younger than Luongo. I don't really like the Grabo contract; I just like it so much more than the Luongo one.... But you know this already.
I really don't see a problem with the Luongo contract, there was a time not so long ago Toronto signed a goalie named, Ed Belfour to a 4 year deal when he was 36-37.

Luongo's deal is front loaded for 5 more years or until he is 38 years old. I'm not worried about the bogus years, we can buy him out towards the end of his term if he is no longer effective.

Goalies these days play until their mid 30's Ie. Tim Thomas and in some cases 40's ie. Brodeur with better conditioning and better workout regimens.

The going rate for an allstar goalie is atleast 5M per season. This is a lot more attractive than paying a center that has struggled since Carlyle became our coach 5.5 per season for the next 5 years when that money can be allocated to fill a need elsewhere.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.