HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  #476
LordRamsay
Come out and flay
 
LordRamsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,278
vCash: 588
I just don't even get why a GM would do Gillis a favour at this point and give him a satisfactory package (in Gillis' mind) for Luongo. Just don't do them any favours

LordRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  #477
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
he has MacArthur on both wings on the second line

Mac = MacArthur
Shh... he can do it.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
  #478
GingersRULE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..

GingersRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  #479
Keeping it Blue
Registered User
 
Keeping it Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Why is it only Vancouver fans who are the ones trying to convince people that long term front loaded contracts are 'no big deal'?

Keeping it Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
  #480
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
His cap hit is fine right now. When he's 38 years old it won't be. You need to take more into account than the present situation when making moves like this.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
  #481
threeGo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
We are looking for a young number one. Not a middle age one on a 10 year contract. He's not going to play until he's 42. We will get stuck with his cap hit when he retires and won't take us to the stanley cup. All he'll do is bring us back to the 9th/10th overall spot. We will make the playoffs without luongo this year or we'll just tank and pick up a center. Either way, luongo is not in the equation. You just want to get rid him. If you have no problem with luongo and that he is a great goalie then trade schneider (you'll get more for him). Then keep luongo for 10 years and by then you'll get another young goalie.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:57 PM
  #482
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeGo View Post
We are looking for a young number one. Not a middle age one on a 10 year contract. He's not going to play until he's 42. We will get stuck with his cap hit when he retires and won't take us to the stanley cup. All he'll do is bring us back to the 9th/10th overall spot. We will make the playoffs without luongo this year or we'll just tank and pick up a center. Either way, luongo is not in the equation. You just want to get rid him. If you have no problem with luongo and that he is a great goalie then trade schneider (you'll get more for him). Then keep luongo for 10 years and by then you'll get another young goalie.
Schneider would make sense for us. I think there's a very good reason Vancouver is trying to move the proven Luongo vs. the young and inexperienced Schneider despite the fact they're in a position to compete now...

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:01 PM
  #483
teddygmr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Do people just not to pay attention to the fact he's a 33 year old who's going to be paid 5 and a half million dollars for the next decade? By the time we're ready to make a playoff run he'll be waaaay past his prime and ready to retire? He just lost his starting job to a rookie even though he's playing behind one of the best teams in the league?

If we're gonna target a goalie we need to target Johnathon Bernier, there's a goalie who actually makes sense for us to give up some assets for.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with this except for the last sentence......we do NOT need another goalie!
Let's use this season to see what we have in Reimer, Scrivens and Rynnas.Two things will happen: we will make the playoffs with a young team OR we give young players significant experience and we get a top draft pick! Both are good results!
I just hope the Leafs allow Orr, Brown and perhaps Fraser to keep playing tough physical hockey and not allow teams like the bruins to dominate us physically. Let's make sure teams know they will take their share of lumps, even if they win.

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  #484
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
I totally agree with this except for the last sentence......we do NOT need another goalie!
Let's use this season to see what we have in Reimer, Scrivens and Rynnas.Two things will happen: we will make the playoffs with a young team OR we give young players significant experience and we get a top draft pick! Both are good results!
I just hope the Leafs allow Orr, Brown and perhaps Fraser to keep playing tough physical hockey and not allow teams like the bruins to dominate us physically. Let's make sure teams know they will take their share of lumps, even if they win.
I never said we need one, I just think there's a much better option out there and for the right package I doubt L.A. would say no to moving Bernier. He's been requesting more playing time recently and I believe I read an article somewhere saying he's basicly told management "play me or trade me". And there's no reason we can't make a move at the deadline.

Look at it this way, I'd rather over-pay for Johnathon Bernier then get a good deal on Luongo. Roberto Luongo in a Leafs jersey just doesn't make sense.

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
  #485
CBinTokyo
Registered User
 
CBinTokyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 407
vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
I never said we need one, I just think there's a much better option out there and for the right package I doubt L.A. would say no to moving Bernier. He's been requesting more playing time recently and I believe I read an article somewhere saying he's basicly told management "play me or trade me". And there's no reason we can't make a move at the deadline.

Look at it this way, I'd rather over-pay for Johnathon Bernier then get a good deal on Luongo. Roberto Luongo in a Leafs jersey just doesn't make sense.
Luongo's contract, if he were 28, would be acceptable, but there would still be concerns. If he was currently locked up for only 5 more years, it would be a similar situation. As it stands, it is terrible and limits his value.

It really is that simple.

Ack quoted the wrong poster sorry! Meant to quote GingersRULE

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:12 PM
  #486
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
Wall of Text + Canuck fan unwanted input=





Last edited by ForzaZuffa: 01-22-2013 at 05:17 PM.
ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:13 PM
  #487
GingersRULE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
agreed..As a Vancouver fan I'm actually in favor of moving Schneider instead of Luongo..Its just laughable when fans of other teams claim our team is in a huge mess when they dont even follow the team or understand the situation at all..and to Keeping it blues comment..Dont be such a hypocrite..I'm pretty sure every other teams fans will look at it the same way including Leaf fans..just saying

GingersRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
  #488
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
No matter how many times you say "his contract isn't that bad", it doesn't change the fact that it is.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
  #489
edruga
 
edruga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 666
Wait. So, we shouldn't trade Gardiner for Luongo?

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
  #490
Erdinger
Registered User
 
Erdinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
You've convinced me. Canucks would be crazy to trade Luongo.

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  #491
Parkdale
Registered User
 
Parkdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
.... we can buy him out towards the end of his term if he is no longer effective....
So if a team buys out Luongo's last 5 years of contract, what happens to the yearly cap hits? I understand the new CBA requires any unrealized cap liability still becomes due if a player retires. Now if he's bought out, not sure what happens but the intent of the new provision was to prevent a cap circumvention. So for example, Vancouver has a latent cap liability north of $6M because they had Luongo for the first 2 years. If he is bought out with 5 yrs remaining, is that cap charged to Vancouver over the 5 years or worse for Van does it become due immediately in one year? I think this liability and associated uncertainty of timing is a significant negative.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:16 PM
  #492
edruga
 
edruga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,480
vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Wall of Text + Canuck fan unwanted input=

Your previous one was better. Bring it back, I was dying laughing.

edruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
  #493
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edruga View Post
Your previous one was better. Bring it back, I was dying laughing.
NP, I'll do both.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:17 PM
  #494
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoubleDion87 View Post
I never said we need one, I just think there's a much better option out there and for the right package I doubt L.A. would say no to moving Bernier. He's been requesting more playing time recently and I believe I read an article somewhere saying he's basicly told management "play me or trade me". And there's no reason we can't make a move at the deadline.

Look at it this way, I'd rather over-pay for Johnathon Bernier then get a good deal on Luongo. Roberto Luongo in a Leafs jersey just doesn't make sense.

How is Bernier, who has less NHL experience than Reimer, the solution? Why give up assets for him when we can run with our own goalies who don't cost us a thing?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:18 PM
  #495
colchar
Registered User
 
colchar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
agreed..As a Vancouver fan I'm actually in favor of moving Schneider instead of Luongo..Its just laughable when fans of other teams claim our team is in a huge mess when they dont even follow the team or understand the situation at all.

So every commentator out there who says you are screwed is wrong?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:22 PM
  #496
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law
 
Saul Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
i can't help but laugh at vancouver fans who feel the need to come into the leafs forum to constantly pump luongo's tires like we give a ****.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:24 PM
  #497
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...
 
ForzaZuffa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
i can't help but laugh at vancouver fans who feel the need to come into the leafs forum to constantly pump luongo's tires like we give a ****.
Pretty much this

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:25 PM
  #498
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
Makes sense. Since other teams are "throwing out" these nonsense deals to players, we should be perfectly okay with absorbing a contract like that for ourselves. Where do i sign?

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
  #499
GingersRULE
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
yes just like how you come into our forums and talk about our lineup like you guys have done as well

GingersRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
  #500
TheDoubleDion87
Rookie User
 
TheDoubleDion87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Truculence Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
How is Bernier, who has less NHL experience than Reimer, the solution? Why give up assets for him when we can run with our own goalies who don't cost us a thing?
Because Bernier is a much better goalie. And please feel free to ignore the part where I said such a move can be made at the deadline after wee see Srivvies and Reimer play...

The way I see it (as it stands at the present moment it will likely change as the season unfolds) Bernier >> Scrivens > Reimer

TheDoubleDion87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.