HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
No matter how many times you say "his contract isn't that bad", it doesn't change the fact that it is.
I've seen this before. "These are not the droids you are looking for"

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:33 PM
SteveV*

Wait til he turns THIRTY FOUR in TEN weeks. Tick tock, tick....

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

I hate how my Mike Gillis' mystery trading partner is Manti T'eo's girlfriend joke was removed from the main board it was funny!

Old
01-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
I hate how my Mike Gillis' mystery trading partner is Manti T'eo's girlfriend joke was removed from the main board it was funny!
Nobody is allowed to make fun of Mike Gillis

Erdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
So if a team buys out Luongo's last 5 years of contract, what happens to the yearly cap hits? I understand the new CBA requires any unrealized cap liability still becomes due if a player retires. Now if he's bought out, not sure what happens but the intent of the new provision was to prevent a cap circumvention. So for example, Vancouver has a latent cap liability north of $6M because they had Luongo for the first 2 years. If he is bought out with 5 yrs remaining, is that cap charged to Vancouver over the 5 years or worse for Van does it become due immediately in one year? I think this liability and associated uncertainty of timing is a significant negative.
You can't bury a contract in the minors anymore but you can still buy out a contract to reduce the cap, Luongo has 4 years towards the end of his contract after the 17-18 season, 3.3, 1.6, 1, 1.

We already know Nonis is more friendly to cap circumvention deals, buy out at the end of 5 years is not disasterous.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
Why, does he own a barn?

Old
01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
I cant help but laugh at some of you Leaf fans the way your evaluating Luongo's contract and our teams situation..
This contract is not bad at all and very manageable considering when you look alot of these contracts some teams are throwing out to there players..
The only reason were looking at trading Luongo is because we have a young upcoming goalie who've we've spent years developing and want to give him a shot at the starting job..
Roberto is still a top goalie in this league and a great team leader who can help get a non play off team into the playoffs the way he did for us when we traded for him..
The contract is not bad at all especially for a team looking for a number one..
It just doesnt make alot of sense having him behind Schneider when we could use an upgrade in other areas instead of on the bench..
I'm sure Nonis thinks higher of him since he was the one who brought him here in the first place..
Either way its going to hurt to see him go..
1. I can't help but laugh at how you think you coming into a Leafs forum and trying to argue that he is worth a decent amount is going to work.
2. It is very bad. Who wants to have a 5.33 cap until he is 42?
3. More, like how he choked in SCF to have his back-up put in.
4. Team leader chirps on twitter waiting for the day to be traded out of VanCan, and what's the point of playoffs if you're going to choke all the time?
5. It is bad. Stop trying to argue on a Leafs forum also. It won't work. And, we are completely fine with the goalie with a 1.5 GAA compared to your goalies.
6. No teams are giving you a sizeable upgrade for him lol.
7. Shall we say if Burke is hired GM of Boston, then he will do the Kessel-Seguin+Hamilton deal because he acquired Kessel??
8. Sure it will..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersRULE View Post
agreed..As a Vancouver fan I'm actually in favor of moving Schneider instead of Luongo..Its just laughable when fans of other teams claim our team is in a huge mess when they dont even follow the team or understand the situation at all..and to Keeping it blues comment..Dont be such a hypocrite..I'm pretty sure every other teams fans will look at it the same way including Leaf fans..just saying
Well, then you call up Gillis and tell him to do that instead of arguing to Leafs on their value of a 33 year old goalie.
Many Vancouver fans/media think it is bad for Schneider to have this controversy backing him up, with a retirement contract.
Leafs fans are saying they are bad, so other teams fans will look at it the same way? Thanks for agreeing it's only VanCan fans.
..just saying

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You can't bury a contract in the minors anymore but you can still buy out a contract to reduce the cap, Luongo has 4 years towards the end of his contract after the 17-18 season, 3.3, 1.6, 1, 1.

We already know Nonis is more friendly to cap circumvention deals, buy out at the end of 5 years is not disasterous.
You've not addressed the accrued cap liability issue which is my point. Have you identified a loop-hole to Bettman's punishment clauses? And how is Nonis more friendly to these deals?...he has not authored one to my knowledge. Are you really a Canuck fan?

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
It's hilarious that he gets paid millions to sit on the bunch Rubbin' his LOLongo.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
You've not addressed the accrued cap liability issue which is my point. Have you identified a loop-hole to Bettman's punishment clauses? And how is Nonis more friendly to these deals?...he has not authored one to my knowledge. Are you really a Canuck fan?
I'm not sure what your question is, if you know something enlighten me.

As for being a Canucks fan, do a search of my posts and where I post.

Look at the Redden buyout fresh off the new CBA while you are at it, shouldn't be hard to find your own answers. I'm not doing the work for you.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
DPyro

I'm wondering if the Islanders aren't interested in Luongo but would need to get rid of Dipietro's contract first. Send him to Toronto to be bought out along with some pretty good prospects and picks.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:19 PM
MakeTheIronSing

So far Scrivens is sporting a .939
Canucks goalies collectively are .776 (Schneider is .643... Canucks fans, are you sure you want to trade Luongo)

I realize it is very early, but from what I've seen so far, I'd stick the course with what the Leafs personally

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

delete

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
MakeTheIronSing

My only point is that Scrivens hasnt look out of place and I don't see any reason to get Luongo when there's two young goalies here that can be serviceable with proper play in front of them

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
pucky

21-22 pages and still going? I thought the Leafs upgraded their scouting staff and people want the team to build and not waste $$ on this kinda stuff?

Look at some of the goalies in the League that were recently drafted? Good goalies that are taking #1 jobs and running with it. (Wash. and Minn. come to mind).

They ought to use the draft if they think they need to upgrade the G position still and save the dough if there's a chance to sign a star forward cuz they still can't score goals. The new D system looks better, though. I say draft what you need to and build that way although I'm sure Robbers/BHELL have other ideas. :-/

Well, that's my two pennies' worth!

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Parkdale

Quote:

Look at the Redden buyout fresh off the new CBA while you are at it, shouldn't be hard to find your own answers. I'm not doing the work for you.
I am referring to the "cap advantage recapture" provision in the new CBA.

No insult intended by suggesting you might be a Canuck fan....realize that was a low blow.

The Redden buyout was a special "accelerated compliance buyout" and its mechanics are not applicable to future buyouts, specifically a suggested Luongo buyout 5yr+ from now.

Not sure where this conversation is heading, lets just agree to disagree. Cheers.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Longshot

I read today that Gillis is not willing to do a deal in which he is expected to take salary back from the other team.

What exactly is he smoking these days?

He thinks he's going to trade a 34-year-old player 10 years and $64 million remaining on his deal without taking back any salary?

The GM that takes Luongo off of Vancouver's hands is doing them a favour.

Longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdinger View Post
No kidding, can't even criticize him in the Canucks section without being attacked by an angry mob.

And he's so overrated.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Gillis is full of crap.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Duffman955

At this point, I wouldn't give up either bozak or kadri for luongo. We should just stand pat and assess our own goalies for now.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
At this point, I wouldn't give up either bozak or kadri for luongo. We should just stand pat and assess our own goalies for now.
I would guess at this point most of us do not want Luongo for anybody. I mean not all under any circumstances. Don't want him. Nope. Never ever.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Erdinger

Dreger just mentioned perhaps Grabo would be in play in a deal. I can see someone on this board being happy with that.

Me personally: Please Nonis just say no to Luongo.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
I read today that Gillis is not willing to do a deal in which he is expected to take salary back from the other team.

What exactly is he smoking these days?

He thinks he's going to trade a 34-year-old player 10 years and $64 million remaining on his deal without taking back any salary?

The GM that takes Luongo off of Vancouver's hands is doing them a favour.
i have heard that one of the things that makes BC bud so popular is that producers often coat or dust it with LSD during the cultivation phase

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Deebo

Quote:

Compliance buyouts aren't the same as regular buyouts

A buyout in june 2018 will result in the following cap implication

2018-19: $2,534,667
2019-20: $4,298,667
2020-21: $4,916,667
2021-22: $4,916,667
2022-23: $583,333
2023-24: $583,333
2024-25: $583,333
2025-26: $583,333

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Erdinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
i have heard that one of the things that makes BC bud so popular is that producers often coat or dust it with LSD during the cultivation phase