HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-23-2013, 01:54 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Listen up dudes, and sleep on this. 2 games this year, 10 last year.

Same coach, same system, no RON and gun system.

1. 12 games, 3 points -8
2. The #2 Line has not been as good as they were in 10-11. They either peaked or the league caught up with them.
3. He was not the best Center towards the end of last year and certainly not 2 games in this year despite having the edge playing in the KHL.

We all know he is a streaky player, but maybe he is not made to succeed in a Randy Carlyle system, Grabo obviously liked Ron and Gun, but that is not a system we play anymore. #1 point in my post, the evidence is in black and white, we will see as the sample gets larger. It will be interesting what the replies will be when this happens.
LOL

Taking 10 games from last season to add to two from this season to try and make a point is pretty weak.

Point 2, is absolutely true for last season. For this season we are two games in after an abbreviated camp and no preseason.

I'll give you point three though. He and the whole line should be playing better, especially he and Kulemin who have been playing in the KHL.

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Snow Dog
Victorious

vCash: 500
Doesn't seem kinda strange that Grabos play declined not long after signing a juicy contract.

Snow Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:38 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I'm not the biggest Grabo fan..but i'd rather trade Grabovski for prospects/young players etc. Taking on Luongo's decade long contract just seems like a terrible idea to me.
Agreed. I wouldn't even trade Komisarek straight up for him, not because I think their trade values are equal, but because I want no part of Lu's contract.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 05:55 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBinTokyo View Post
LOL

Taking 10 games from last season to add to two from this season to try and make a point is pretty weak.

Point 2, is absolutely true for last season. For this season we are two games in after an abbreviated camp and no preseason.

I'll give you point three though. He and the whole line should be playing better, especially he and Kulemin who have been playing in the KHL.
Just because you disagree doesn't mean it is a weak argument. Our only disagreement is the sample size.

What I am pointing out is there are signficant indicators of concern, to ignore them would be foolish. When you are investing in a stock for those that have money on this board, you don't when a stock has hit it's peak or when the result is known, there is a point where you speculate. Same here, there are signs, we will see, I'll speculate Grabo's modest 55 point pace will be less under Carlyle's system than Ron and Gun, and I'll look you guys up later. I'm confident in my record here. Fair enough as the sample gets larger, 12 games and on. I'll check back.

There is sufficient room for speculation his play has declined, some people objected to the Lupul deal, rewarding him for one big year. Grabo and his linemates had one big year, how is this any different?

The bottom line is he is the highest paid Leaf fwd, does he not owe his team and his teammates more by being a more consistent performer, there is no excuse for his slow start this year, given he has played in the KHL.

Disclaimer - I Discuss hockey players, not the posters or fanboys.

Last edited by The Winter Soldier: 01-23-2013 at 06:19 AM.
The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 06:23 AM
The Winter Soldier
Team NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
Doesn't seem kinda strange that Grabos play declined not long after signing a juicy contract.
This is speculation and you are entitled to, I think it's more he is playing a style that doesn't suit him, and that he and his linemates have already peaked in the 10-11 season. We'll see as the season progresses.

Disclaimer - I Discuss hockey, not who my supposed un-favorite players are.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:25 AM
thewave
Simply TheBest

Quote:
Actually he was on a team that declined as a whole. They did that together before the contract. If you want to pick a fall guy it was Wilson and his pathetic relationship with his goalies amongst other things.

This year he has not done much in two games, same his line mates. Two games though and they were against two of the better tenders in the league.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:59 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
there are many many better players then grabovski in the nhl who have not put up points yet - in 2 games. lets play the other 46 games then we can see if grabs was money well spent. he could score 2 goals and have 2 assists in a game and all of a sudden have 4 points in 3 games so... i wouldnt get too excited just yet

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Parkdale

Good morning. Reminder that this is a thread about the merits of Luongo coming to Toronto with his toxic contract (there are none). Talk about Grabs deserves its own separate thread. I would not trade Grabs for Luongo 1-1.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:06 AM
The Iceman

Could Nonis acquire Luongo and FLIP him?

All the buzz that I have read said that Vancouver can get a better haul for RL from Chicago, San Jose or Edmonton but do not want to move him within the same division.
Could Nonis have a 3 way trade up his sleeve.
Acquire Luongo from Vancouver and then move him for better assets?

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:23 AM
SteveV*

If you don't appreciate what Grabo brings, you really don't understand the game very well. Even when Grabo isn't producing points you'll notice his line is still playing in the opposition zone MORE than our own. Hello! As well, the "streaky" tag can apply to most guys in the league, hence comments like "on a tear"' "heating up" "in the zone" "the puck just seems to find him"' etc.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
If you don't appreciate what Grabo brings, you really don't understand the game very well. Even when Grabo isn't producing points you'll notice his line is still playing in the opposition zone MORE than our own. Hello! As well, the "streaky" tag can apply to most guys in the league, hence comments like "on a tear"' "heating up" "in the zone" "the puck just seems to find him"' etc.
Stop engaging him, he tries to make every thread about Grabovski, he succeeds because people reply.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Iceman View Post
Could Nonis acquire Luongo and FLIP him?

All the buzz that I have read said that Vancouver can get a better haul for RL from Chicago, San Jose or Edmonton but do not want to move him within the same division.
Could Nonis have a 3 way trade up his sleeve.
Acquire Luongo from Vancouver and then move him for better assets?
Intriguing idea, but not very likely as Leafs desire for a #1 goalie is greater than acquiring one and dealing him.

I could see the Leafs being at the end of a 3-way deal perhaps where Luongo is sent to Florida for example and Theodore gets shipped off to Toronto thereafter.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Jake Gardiner going to be traded?

is vancouver waiting to see him play in a game, than make the trade with toronto for luongo?
manager said there is a trade in place for luongo.
is gardiner the guy? for luongo.
after tonights game when gardiner playes, he could get shipped out to vancouver.
would you make that move?

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:28 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Stop engaging him, he tries to make every thread about Grabovski, he succeeds because people reply.
Repetition doesn't equate to quality. Zzzzzz.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:31 AM
DaveT83*

Nonis is not stupid like his predecessor.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:33 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Intriguing idea, but not very likely as Leafs desire for a #1 goalie is greater than acquiring one and dealing him.

I could see the Leafs being at the end of a 3-way deal perhaps where Luongo is sent to Florida for example and Theodore gets shipped off to Toronto thereafter.
I think the Leafs should just play Scrivens and the younger Reimer.

This team is rebuilding, they shouldn't be trading for older players.

Lupul's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st., and being under contract makes his value higher. Liles has a modified NTC, other players could be moved.

Isn't the time to land an older veteran keeper with a bad contract.

The 197475 season saw another change to its playoff system to accommodate the league of 18 teams, twelve of which qualified for the playoffs. The top team from each division would earn a bye to the quarterfinal, while the second- and third-place teams from each division started their playoff run from a best-of-three preliminary round.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:35 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think the Leafs should just play Scrivens and the younger Reimer.

This team is rebuilding, they shouldn't be trading for older players.

Lupul's NTC doesn't kick in until July 1st., and being under contract makes his value higher. Liles has a modified NTC, other players could be moved.

Isn't the time to land an older veteran keeper with a bad contract.
Nothing says bush league move like signing a guy long term and then trading him.

Old
01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
The Missing Piece
What's Left?

There is absolutely no chance gards gets traded for Luongo. /thread

The Missing Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
ULF_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Nothing says bush league move like signing a guy long term and then trading him.
Agreed.

I read about doing that all the time here.

Maybe it only bothers people when they like the player.

Personally, I like Lupul and would keep him, but since I read about sign and trade all the time here I guess he should get no more respect than anyone else.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Prototype

I highly doubt the trade is with Toronto.

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:39 AM
p.l.f.
use the force

gardiner's return could allow them to trade cody franson
if they think kostka is the real deal

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
is vancouver waiting to see him play in a game, than make the trade with toronto for luongo?
after tonights game when gardiner playes, he could get shipped out to vancouver.
Trolling? Vancouver fan? Seriously...

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
12345*

Quote:
No.asdfasfsdaafsd

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
toronto murphy laws

Quote:
what would them being able to see Gardiner play 1 game have to do with anything? you don't think they've seen the guy play before or something?

toronto murphy laws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:45 AM
BlueBaron

Seems less and less likely we will go after Luongo, moving Gardiner seems doubtful as well. Nonis has already said he won't be trading his young guys for older guys and Gardiners name was stated specifically.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote