HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Center Online

Old
01-18-2013, 02:43 PM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Game Center Online

I've never used this service but want to verify how it works. I'm an out of market Sharks fan so I shouldn't be subject to any blackout issues. I've always had center ice thru DIsh but we've disconnected our dish service and gone with just hulu and I want to watch the sharks games online. Can I just watch the games when ever I want with GCO? So if the Sharks play Sunday afternoon I can just login and watch it later that night? Are there any gotchas with the service?

Thanks for any insight.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:11 PM
deekortiz3
HFBoards Sponsor

You should be fine. National games being blacked out is probably the only "gotcha" to worry about.

deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deekortiz3 View Post
You should be fine. National games being blacked out is probably the only "gotcha" to worry about.
I'm not worried about the blackouts... just want to know how the service works in practice...

Old
01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
nabbyfan

The only gotcha is that NHLN network games are considered national and will be blacked out, and the Sharks are slated to be on for 5 games this year. Other than that, you can watch the games anytime after, and the blacked out games show up online to watch ~48 hours after.

nabbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Hey there. I used it last year (currently running on a 2.5 year old macbook pro) and had very little issues. I used Chrome to watch the games and it ran fine most of the time. All you do is log in and click on a game and you can bump the feed to whichever rate doesn't lag.

HOWEVER, there were about 5 nights with peak activity (usually saturday nights) where the service stopped working altogether. The main board Gamecenter thread was a big help during those times because people were figuring out ways to make it work in a hacky fashion. So... overall I'd give it an A- and hope that they have figured out the peak activity issues.

For 50 bucks it's a steal as well.

Protip: find a dark room in your house, buy a projector, and waste hours and hours watching hockey through your 'computer'

edit; another cool feature is the split-screen viewing, you can have 4 games on at once I believe. Perfect if you're going to project it.

Ninja Hertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
skilks
This is nightmare

Why can't broadcast laws be updated and blackouts be modified in some way. Like if you're in a local market just use the local broadcast instead?

skilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
NWShark*

awesome! Thank you all. I don't expect to use it during peak time. I never get to watch the games live. Usually the middle of the night sometime.

Now how did this work for the playoffs? Since versus carried most of them it seemed center ice didn't have the games...?

Old
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
nabbyfan

If you're in the US, you wont get any playoff games on GCL live, as they are all on NBC, NBCSN, or NHLN. But you can still watch the replays of the games online ~48 hours later.

One other great feature this year is the XBOX360 app, now if you have an XBOX you can watch the games through that and have them on your TV, instead of laptop. They also support PS3 and a blu ray player IIRC.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
sonticus
Blown Tire

I used it last year and it worked fine on my Android phone and great on my computers, but the PS3 app was HORRIBLE. First it wouldn't recognize my login info for a couple weeks and the PS3 support people weren't able to help (or even direct me to anyone who could). Eventually they put out a patch and it let me log in but for the rest of the year playback was always broken. It seemed like it would need to buffer every 15 seconds so eventually you were watching the game 30 minutes behind real time and it was still buffering. (Internet connection worked fine for everything else on the PS3 including Netflix and multiplayer gaming)

So if you are using it on your computer you should be fine. It is a great service and I will be getting it again, but be careful about paying for additional apps on other devices because they could be problematic.

sonticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
NWShark*

Ok so what does everyone do during the playoffs? Do I have to find one of the "other" websites that may or may no be authorized?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:44 PM
nabbyfan

Yep, as long as you're in the US Game Center will blackout every playoff game, and if you cant get them on TV, you'll have to resort to some outside feed or way of tricking Game Center into thinking you are located in Europe....but if you got caught doing that they can void your account.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
rbarker26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilks View Post
Why can't broadcast laws be updated and blackouts be modified in some way. Like if you're in a local market just use the local broadcast instead?
because that makes too much sense

rbarker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:55 AM
rbarker26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Ok so what does everyone do during the playoffs? Do I have to find one of the "other" websites that may or may no be authorized?
you could get a VPN.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:57 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarker26 View Post
you could get a VPN.
I don't know what that is...

Old
01-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
its like a proxy/dns server that your ip travels through to make it seem as you're from a different place.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

1st sharks game i have watched since the sharks were eliminated last playoffs by the blues has been the game 4 debacle against detroit lol.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Anyone use hockeystreams.com?

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarker26 View Post
you could get a VPN.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
its like a proxy/dns server that your ip travels through to make it seem as you're from a different place.
There are sites that'll mask your IP address so it'll look like you're not in the blacked-out area.

If you want to go the proxy route there's a free to try program called IP Hider. There's several others, you should only get these apps from reliable sources!!

if you want to go the VPN route you can subscribe to a service and download their software, the software will create a VPN (like a secure tunnel between you and the other network) and "bounce" your traffic off another network in another country you choose before going to the GCO, or hulu or whatever... From what i've read subscriptions are like 7 to 12$ a month for VPN service. Folks seem to like StrongVPN and HideMyAss pro.

Seriously, be careful with the proxy one if you go that route.

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
NWShark*

scarin the crap out of me with the proxy thing so I'll stick to the vpn deal since it sounds safer. thanks everyone for all the info. I was about to reup for dish so I didn't have to deal with the hassle but it sounds like this may work as an alternative for the playoffs.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:33 PM
rbarker26

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmacarthur View Post
I'm in Canada so during the playoffs every game is either on broadcast or a basic cable channel.

GCL is down right now because of server overload though. Super annoying.

http://gclsupport.nhl.com/ is down
iOS apps are down also. I understand that GCL is getting bombarded with users, but they should have been prepared for that.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:14 PM
68 Z-28

I paid my 50.00. Stupid free users slamming the server and ****ing it up.

I hope NO ONE is able to use it.

68 Z-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmacarthur View Post
Brilliant move crashing the server with this free preview. They need to let all these potential customers know that even if they do pay for it, they won't be able to access it 'cause it's run incompetently.
Yeah, NHL.com **** the bed when it came to GCL today, but at least it kinda worked. It just feels like the first week of school. Get past this week, let all the free users and complainers come and go, and then enjoy the games as routine. It will be fun.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
There are sites that'll mask your IP address so it'll look like you're not in the blacked-out area.

If you want to go the proxy route there's a free to try program called IP Hider. There's several others, you should only get these apps from reliable sources!!

if you want to go the VPN route you can subscribe to a service and download their software, the software will create a VPN (like a secure tunnel between you and the other network) and "bounce" your traffic off another network in another country you choose before going to the GCO, or hulu or whatever... From what i've read subscriptions are like 7 to 12$ a month for VPN service. Folks seem to like StrongVPN and HideMyAss pro.

Seriously, be careful with the proxy one if you go that route.
I'd never recommend the proxy route that's just a bad idea all together not to mention the speed you get.

I've heard good things about hockeystreams apparently it even works with xbox and the windows media center.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:54 PM
LEN

Just signed up for GC. This better work. Are any shark fans having a hard time getting shark games. I'm seeing " not available" for tonights game but its still early.

LEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

I just watch all mountain/pacific games the next day. It's gotten better as the week has gone on in terms of less downtime/lag. ****ing joke the PS3 app still isn't out

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote