HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nazem Kadri: Ready to take the next step?

Old
01-19-2013, 01:47 AM
LeafOfBread

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Of course I have an opinion on this and it's not what some would expect I'm sure. As much as I dislike Nazem Kadri as a prospect, I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong. He's never done that in the past, and in my opinion he hadn't shown me that he might do that in the future. That being said, he made the club and he did score a hat trick to prove he wanted it at camp. It was a positive step, I won't take that away from him. It was a pretty big step and one I was skeptical he would be able to make. It helped that Nonis cleared the way for him a bit, but he's starting the year as a Toronto Maple Leaf and he's at least earned some respect from me for that. He has a long way to go however, now he has to prove he belongs every night, and contribute. That will be much more difficult, and I'm still skeptical he'll be able to do it. In the past he's started well after callups and then tailed off once he felt the job was his. That could still happen here, and whether that happens or not is the ultimate test of his future as a Maple Leaf.
Wow, a post where jughead isn't tearing Kadri a new assh*le, definitely did not see that coming! But I think Carlyle will make sure Kadri stays focused and keeps him on track, Carlyle punishes slackers.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Winreims

He better be ready to take the next ****ing step. If he isn't by now, then I don't know..

Winreims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Kingstonian84*

This IS Kadri's big chance and first real fair one, it is up to Kadri to decide his own fate, either he shows committment to play d/making things happen offensively and sticks OR he sinks, its all on him.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:56 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Of course I have an opinion on this and it's not what some would expect I'm sure. As much as I dislike Nazem Kadri as a prospect, I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong. He's never done that in the past, and in my opinion he hadn't shown me that he might do that in the future. That being said, he made the club and he did score a hat trick to prove he wanted it at camp. It was a positive step, I won't take that away from him. It was a pretty big step and one I was skeptical he would be able to make. It helped that Nonis cleared the way for him a bit, but he's starting the year as a Toronto Maple Leaf and he's at least earned some respect from me for that. He has a long way to go however, now he has to prove he belongs every night, and contribute. That will be much more difficult, and I'm still skeptical he'll be able to do it. In the past he's started well after callups and then tailed off once he felt the job was his. That could still happen here, and whether that happens or not is the ultimate test of his future as a Maple Leaf.
He'll actually have somewhat competent linemates this time around, not to mention a much more articulate coach. Not sold on Komarov's offense yet, but we'll see how it turns out.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

If Kadri is better than Steckel and Crabb he'll help the team make the playoffs.

Minimum expectations should be 17 goals and 27 assists.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 404
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Asked Carlyle if Mike Kostka was the player who jumped most in his estimation during brief camp. "No. Kadri."

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If Kadri is better than Steckel and Crabb he'll help the team make the playoffs.

In a 48 game season?

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Duffman955

Quote:

44 points in 48 games. Dam you have some high expectations

Duffman955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:56 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
Asked Carlyle if Mike Kostka was the player who jumped most in his estimation during brief camp. "No. Kadri."
love it, guy is gonna come out on fire.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
In a 48 game season?
Pace.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
love it, guy is gonna come out on fire.
I truly believe that if Kadri and JVR find chemistry there's going to be a lot of crow to be eaten on this forum.

Never ever has there been a prospect with elite skill be so scrutinized in such a negative fashion as Nazim Kadri has. It all started the day he didn't make the team on his 1st year of his entry level contract. That Sun picture where they put a pacifier in Kadri's mouth the day he was sent down started everything...

It's time for crow to be eaten

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Larcos_Unal

The thing about Nazem is that even though he'll turn the puck over from time to time, he's got that bit of excitement to his game that no other guy outside of Kessel brings. He's got the nifty mitts but also is willing to go to the dirty areas and throw the odd big hit.

You'll never confuse Kadri for a perimeter player.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:39 PM
HOTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin
It`s great to see Carlyle behind this kid! I`m excited for him!

HOTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
mapleleaf979

Kadri will be one of the Leafs best player tonight. I believe he gets on the scoresheet tonight.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
SprDaVE

Don't forget that Kadri was a big Habs fan growing up.

We all know what happens with players growing up Leaf fans when they come to our barn.

Hopefully Kadri can channel that and be a key factor.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winreims View Post
He better be ready to take the next ****ing step. If he isn't by now, then I don't know..
When Bozak was Kadri's age he was still in school....
Just to keep it in perspective.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
jughead42*

I think we all know this should be Kadri's coming out party if he's ever going to be an impact NHL player. He's playing his boyhood team, he's been gifted with a roster spot and he's had half a season to skate off those gary roberts cheeseburgers. I want to see him help this team win tonight and make smart plays with the puck. No turnovers buddy, no 1 on 3 kamikazee rushes, and when the puck comes to you in the defensive zone you better make damn sure it goes over the blueline before you start to razzle and dazzle anybody.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
The thing about Nazem is that even though he'll turn the puck over from time to time, he's got that bit of excitement to his game that no other guy outside of Kessel brings. He's got the nifty mitts but also is willing to go to the dirty areas and throw the odd big hit.

You'll never confuse Kadri for a perimeter player.
LeafNation is a crazy bunch, they expect perfection from the players where they can't make mistakes which is an absurd standard Leaf players face in this market... Turn overs go hand in hand with playmakers just have a look at who's in the top 10 in turnovers last season. That list will surprise many cause it's full with the games elite playmakers.

If Kadri isn't allowed some leeway to create you've taken his strengths away from him. Turnovers will happen he just has to recognize the dangers in the neutral zone which was fixed 2 years ago and limit them in that area of the ice.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
p.l.f.
use the force

we'll need to get a guy like bobby ryan to protect kadri and kessel

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:03 PM
thewave

Quote:

Your expectations are so far removed from reality it's not even funny. You want a pt a game from a kid his first real go. Segs didn't even do that for Boston. There's no need for jokes like this.

Fix your post

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
HenryH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
LeafNation is a crazy bunch, they expect perfection from the players where they can't make mistakes which is an absurd standard Leaf players face in this market... Turn overs go hand in hand with playmakers just have a look at who's in the top 10 in turnovers last season. That list will surprise many cause it's full with the games elite playmakers.

If Kadri isn't allowed some leeway to create you've taken his strengths away from him. Turnovers will happen he just has to recognize the dangers in the neutral zone which was fixed 2 years ago and limit them in that area of the ice.
This.

HenryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
44 points in 48 games. Dam you have some high expectations
If he isn't top 10 in league scoring while playing 2nd line for the leafs, he's a failure

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
jughead42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post

There's a difference between good turnovers and bad ones. You have to give him the rope to create, but he has to be smart enough to not put his team at a disadvantage. Turning the puck over because a pass in the offensive zone gets picked off is one thing, but turning the puck over trying to deke your way out of your own zone is an entirely different thing altogether. There are times and places where you should use that ability, and there's times and places where you do not. Kadri struggled with that mightily in the past, and you can't gloss that over as a worthwhile risk to get his offensive contributions because there weren't any.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:00 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
excited to see Nasy Naz, if for no other reason then to raise his trade value
Take that back.

buntek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
we'll need to get a guy like bobby ryan to protect kadri and kessel
What would Bobby do (physically) that Lupul can't? It's not like he's just going to spring in and fight their battles.

Last edited by Eyedea: 01-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote