HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Integral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
That didn't take long for the Debbie downers to open their mouths.
To be fair, it's almost February and the Capitals still haven't won ONE game.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
What was that Oates was talking about with regards to his coaching philosophy of controlling territory on the ice?

Which territory exactly were we working on controlling tonight?
The penalty box.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
tmljeh19

How much longer will we have to watch Mojo waste a roster spot on this team before his trade value is trash?

Old
01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

The positive thing: I had a hunch and left Holtby on the bench in my fantasy league.

See you guys.

PS: Had Brouwer played anywhere lately? Was useless IMHO.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
We lost our wet noodle spine when Hillen got trucked and we never responded.

If it weren't for Ovi I would say we hit the least of all the teams, and probably with Ovi. Our defense leads the charge by serving ****ing coffee and donuts in the crease. I want 3 D pairs next game. Get erskine in there, we need a sack check... already.

We got 3 garbage goals.... much better than a shutout.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Boy was I wrong. Thought the O would be solid.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
tmljeh19

Best case scenario is we lose as many games possible and perhaps we can actually USE the cap space we have and get a good pick? I guess that's too much to ask.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Capsman

Obviously Oates has barely had time to install anything. Things certainly may get a lot better. But our old habits are clearly on display. Difficulty clearing the zone, poor puck movement (especially on the PP), terrible board play, etc.

Watching OV tonight, it is pretty obvious to me that last season was not an aberration, but rather what we can expect from him from here on. I don't know how it happened, whether lack of motivation, lack of performance enhancers, league figuring him out, or what...but I consider this season and probably next season as rebuilding years until the Kuznetsov amd Forsberg era. OV is merely a piece, a role player.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Obviously Oates has barely had time to install anything. Things certainly may get a lot better. But our old habits are clearly on display. Difficulty clearing the zone, poor puck movement (especially on the PP), terrible board play, etc.

Watching OV tonight, it is pretty obvious to me that last season was not an aberration, but rather what we can expect from him from here on. I don't know how it happened, whether lack of motivation, lack of performance enhancers, league figuring him out, or what...but I consider this season and probably next season as rebuilding years until the Kuznetsov amd Forsberg era. OV is merely a piece, a role player.
100% agreed. Hence why I want use to lose out and get the best pick possible. That and get Mojo the **** off this team. No room for his soft ass on this team.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Our defense leads the charge by serving ****ing coffee and donuts in the crease. I want 3 D pairs next game.
^^^^^ Ding ding ding: The story of the game

Old
01-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVrocks View Post
My god, this team is horrid, can we bring BB back?
Hell no. This was what we saw at BB's tail end anyways. This team will take some time to wipe off BB's mark, I couldn't be happier that Forsberg and Kuz will have had no contact with him.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Yeah not to be a doomer, but 50 goal OV seems to be a thing of the past.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
DCRedhawk21

Only players that really stood out to me in a positive way (other than Ward scoring the two goals by crashing the net) were Ribeiro and Carlson

Backstrom was hot and cold, Ovi looked no different than last year, D overall was below par. The defensive lapses I expected, but I thought the top line had an opportunity come in and dominate the start of the season at a time where they have a lot more recent hockey experience (playing together for 8-19 even) than a lot of the D-pairs they will face.

Old
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
100% agreed. Hence why I want use to lose out and get the best pick possible. That and get Mojo the **** off this team. No room for his soft ass on this team.
I've always had a soft spot for our youngsters, that endless optimism that there is something there. But even I have to agree that he hasn't yet become a man and I'm not sure if he will. He either needs to pick up the physicality or be a wiz with the puck, and I've seen neither. But I'll give him more than one game, besides I'm not sure what we would get in return for him.

Old
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Choking early on the PP tonight really killed us.

I would say players become head cases when the PP fails. No chemistry among the top skill guys, positive experiences.

Ovi had maybe 3 or 4 quality chances to score. The season is not over. Most everyone thought he was broken last year and he finished 5th in goals. Without Nick TOI ENG and PPGs to boot.

I vote WW as our #1 star tonight.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
HTFN

Nobody does pessimism like the Capitals board. It's crazy reading our first GDT compared to some others.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
How much longer will we have to watch Mojo waste a roster spot on this team before his trade value is trash?
Don't kid yourself, every NHL GM would trade the farm for a point per game player from the Swedish minor leagues.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

If it weren't for Ovi I would say we hit the least of all the teams, and probably with Ovi. Our defense leads the charge by serving ****ing coffee and donuts in the crease. I want 3 D pairs next game. Get erskine in there, we need a sack check... already.

So true

Old
01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

I think step #1 to turning it around is to not take 8 ******* minors in a game. You just can't win that way unless you've got an elite PK, and with our depth behind Carlzner that's never going to happen. Take away two of their PP goals and this is a very different game.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

I'm with you.

Poti-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Hamrlik

Roll the third and fourth lines as follows:
Chimera- Pururttu - Brouwer
Hendricks - Beagle - Crabb

Old
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Choking early on the PP tonight really killed us.

I would say players become head cases when the PP fails. No chemistry among the top skill guys, positive experiences.

Ovi had maybe 3 or 4 quality chances to score. The season is not over. Most everyone thought he was broken last year and he finished 5th in goals. Without Nick TOI ENG and PPGs to boot.

I vote WW as our #1 star tonight.
Whenever a team dominates play early and doesn't score, it's a given that the other team will score on their first shot. I don't understand why, but that always ****ing happens. It's like a law of nature or something.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Acallabeth
Get well soon Octopi

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
Nobody does pessimism like the Capitals board. It's crazy reading our first GDT compared to some others.
DRW as well.
Understandable, horrendous game

Old
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
They gave up six ****ing goals.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
Only players that really stood out to me in a positive way (other than Ward scoring the two goals by crashing the net) were Ribeiro and Carlson

Backstrom was hot and cold, Ovi looked no different than last year, D overall was below par. The defensive lapses I expected, but I thought the top line had an opportunity come in and dominate the start of the season at a time where they have a lot more recent hockey experience (playing together for 8-19 even) than a lot of the D-pairs they will face.
I'd have to include Poti in the positive category, just because it was his first NHL game in almost two years and I thought he was decent.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
HTFN

Quote:

That's pretty much what I got too. The team has had its occasional hitter, usually Ovechkin and one other forward, maybe Erskine if he's in, Jurcina used to finish people semi-consistently, but as a team it's like watching a bunch of Bouwmeesters. They almost seem to want to give people extra time with the puck to make a decision so that they don't have to close into physical range.

The days of having a roster that, at the least, was big enough to not seem dominated is over.

Closed Thread