HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Whenever a team dominates play early and doesn't score, it's a given that the other team will score on their first shot. I don't understand why, but that always ****ing happens. It's like a law of nature or something.

And as a fan you can almost sense its about to happen.

Its my cold goalie theory. Holtby watching us get lots of shots early on our PPs, just standing there.

Cold.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
n3ss

vCash: 500
at least we're not detroit?

Old
01-19-2013, 09:17 PM
sunnydaycrash

Matty P with 5 shifts all game......can anyone guess who'll be scratched on Tuesday?

Old
01-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Whelp, that was something.

Old
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
That's pretty much what I got too. The team has had its occasional hitter, usually Ovechkin and one other forward, maybe Erskine if he's in, Jurcina used to finish people semi-consistently, but as a team it's like watching a bunch of Bouwmeesters. They almost seem to want to give people extra time with the puck to make a decision so that they don't have to close into physical range.

The days of having a roster that, at the least, was big enough to not seem dominated is over.
We are just so damn easy to play against! I swear if I skated in on our D with the puck I would be fearless. I absolutely would have no worry about getting hit. None. ever.

Did anyone on our blue line try to hit one of the rat face led punks? I mean, we don't even clean the crease, so plowing someone coming into the zone is never going to happen.

I watch the Flyers game, Grossman runs over and tags Sid. Maybe we need a big angry viking on defense.

Now we have Sarge trying to score more than hit. By Oates's directive of course.

Old
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
at least we're not detroit?
Must be a pain to have all those cups.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
They gave up six ****ing goals.
In the first game of the season.

With next to no camp, no preseason, etc.

Oh, and a brand new coaching staff. With a new, aggressive system being implemented.

Boo hoo, but it's going to take some time. Everyone has been talking, both here and on TV recently, about players getting to the point in the new system when they don't have to think and can instinctively react. It seemed that as time went by, the system started to fade, and "instinct" and old habits crept in. I doubt you'll see that a month from now. Even when they lose, I would be surprised if they continue to look Hunterish.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nobody does pessimism like the Capitals board. It's crazy reading our first GDT compared to some others.
Rookie move reading other GDTs....

Old
01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Lol great I forgot we were the only ones with that going against us ...

Old
01-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Shrug. They're still boring.

And flat. It's the core's team and...the bloom is off.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:27 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

While its natural to blame our defense for their 6 goals, their offense looked in midseason form to me. And sometimes some credit is due to those ****ers.

Even their PP looked damn good too. They could have potted a few more. I am actually jealous of their overall passing among their top dogs and wish we could do that. Even during our monster offensive years, we never got it done with grade A passing. It was always grade A shooting.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Capsman

Quote:
In the first game of the season.

Oh, and a brand new coaching staff. With a new, aggressive system being implemented.

Boo hoo, but it's going to take some time. Everyone has been talking, both here and on TV recently, about players getting to the point in the new system when they don't have to think and can instinctively react. It seemed that as time went by, the system started to fade, and "instinct" and old habits crept in. I doubt you'll see that a month from now. Even when they lose, I would be surprised if they continue to look Hunterish.
I agree, but at the same time it's pretty clear to me that this team as constructed has a ceiling of just missing the playoffs or first round exit. Green is no longer Green, OV is no longer OV. If Forsberg and Kuz are what we think they can be, along with Backs, Alzner, and Carlson, we are 3-4 year away from being something special. We are mediocre now.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:29 PM
ahimsa

Quote:
Nobody does pessimism like the Capitals board. It's crazy reading our first GDT compared to some others.
You can say that again. Being pessimistic really brings me down. I don't get that all these posters enjoy feeling that way. Why else moan and groan so much.

How is Hillen by the way? I hope he's not injured bad and will be back soon.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

If pessimistic posts bring you down, maybe the Internet isn't your thing...

Old
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
We are just so damn easy to play against! I swear if I skated in on our D with the puck I would be fearless. I absolutely would have no worry about getting hit. None. ever.

Did anyone on our blue line try to hit one of the rat face led punks? I mean, we don't even clean the crease, so plowing someone coming into the zone is never going to happen.

I watch the Flyers game, Grossman runs over and tags Sid. Maybe we need a big angry viking on defense.

Now we have Sarge trying to score more than hit. By Oates's directive of course.
It's been my principal roster complaint for a while. I haven't watched a Caps game in what feels like years where I felt that the Capitals were playing a bigger or more physical game than their opponents. Against Boston in the playoffs was an exception, and even then, they held their own, but never really took control. Almost as a rule, our bottom six forwards seem to have about half as many physical presences as other teams, and I think Orlov is the first defenseman I've seen since Jurcina, MAYBE Morrisonn, who even considers stepping up and being physical in transition.

I just wish there were two or three people on this team, penalties be damned, that would get angry instead of looking bullied in scrums. It's actually one of the reasons why I'm happy to get Fehr back, because as far as Caps go, he always seemed to show up in scrums and get his shots in. Not like he's scary or anything, but at least he gets in there and acts angry about it.

Old
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
If pessimistic posts bring you down, maybe the Internet isn't your thing...
?

Not sure what the correlation of the internet with pessimism is.

Old
IafrateOvie34

I liked watching the dedication to the game by Poti and Ovechkin's hit early in the game. Ribs looks like a good pickup. Better late than never. I'm not too worried with it being the first game of the season, no preseason play, and the lockout. However, I hope we go on a win streak because an early losing streak might be no playoffs with the shortened season. Hopefully this game wakes them up that the NHL is back in action. I was hoping this would be the season St Louis would have age catch up with him.

Go Caps!

Old
01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

All message boards implode after losses. Because even good losses are loses and we as fans have the right to anonymously vent now. Before the internet, we just _____ away our sorrows.

I try to be optimistic but sometimes when you are pissed, its healthy to vent, even if its irrational.

My lord the check of game, poor Hillen just got smoked. He was favoring that left shoulder and looked in bad shape crawling around the ice. I think Vinny should have gotten a board there.

The Ovi dive was bunk. Yeah, I am blaming the refs. Classic denial.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
?

Not sure what the correlation of the internet with pessimism is.
It's a big bad scary world. The general tone on the Internet isn't typically positive.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
HTFN

Quote:
While its natural to blame our defense for their 6 goals, their offense looked in midseason form to me. And sometimes some credit is due to those ****ers.

Even their PP looked damn good too. They could have potted a few more. I am actually jealous of their overall passing among their top dogs and wish we could do that. Even during our monster offensive years, we never got it done with grade A passing. It was always grade A shooting.
Maybe not Grade A, but Grade B. We're not even there anymore. Used to be that the Caps were almost guaranteed to get 4-5 touches in-zone. Even on the rushes, two or three players would touch the puck before the first shot. Seems like Fleischmann got half his points that year as the trailing guy with two tap-in passing options.

I think it's just becoming more and more apparent that there are a lot of stupid players with no predictive capacity. We're a team full of players going to where the puck is, and the handful of guys that don't think that way are hampered by the linemates that do. It's just insane to me that the Caps seem to be one of the only teams that consistently can't find passing lanes. They can cycle okay, but their stick to stick passing has got to be among the worst in the league.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
All message boards implode after losses. Because even good losses are loses and we as fans have the right to anonymously vent now. Before the internet, we just _____ away our sorrows.

I try to be optimistic but sometimes when you are pissed, its healthy to vent, even if its irrational.

My lord the check of game, poor Hillen just got smoked. He was favoring that left shoulder and looked in bad shape crawling around the ice. I think Vinny should have gotten a board there.

The Ovi dive was bunk. Yeah, I am blaming the refs. Classic denial.
Bah...these new posters don't even know what implosion is. This is nothing. 8 would have drawn the boarding penalty for sure on that play...

Old
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeaMonkey View Post
Lol great I forgot we were the only ones with that going against us ...
But we are (amongst) the only ones doing it with a new coach and an entirely new system. The same thing happened in the 11-12 NFL season after their lockout - most of the teams with new coaches/systems had poor starts to the season.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:44 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
It's been my principal roster complaint for a while. I haven't watched a Caps game in what feels like years where I felt that the Capitals were playing a bigger or more physical game than their opponents. Against Boston in the playoffs was an exception, and even then, they held their own, but never really took control. Almost as a rule, our bottom six forwards seem to have about half as many physical presences as other teams, and I think Orlov is the first defenseman I've seen since Jurcina, MAYBE Morrisonn, who even considers stepping up and being physical in transition.

I just wish there were two or three people on this team, penalties be damned, that would get angry instead of looking bullied in scrums. It's actually one of the reasons why I'm happy to get Fehr back, because as far as Caps go, he always seemed to show up in scrums and get his shots in. Not like he's scary or anything, but at least he gets in there and acts angry about it.
Great post dead on, I totally agree with everything in there, down to all the players you named and our deficiencies.

I watch these other teams, and they always have players I hate. Many.

When opposition fans watch us play, who do they hate? Ovi. Rah. Don Cherry makes them hate him. There is no one else at all to hate. Maybe Erskine but he barely plays.

I said the same thing about Fehr the other day. Semin was the same way. They wont fight you, but if you slash them, they are going to slash you back.

We need a guy that slashes first. Three more up front and 2 out back. While we do "step" up in the playoffs, other teams do too but were ahead of us to start with.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Seriously...he might have been 1/10 on clutch saves...way to step up kid.
Yeah... I just hope it was "one of those" games even the great GT's have once in a great while

Old
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Maybe not Grade A, but Grade B. ....

They can cycle okay, but their stick to stick passing has got to be among the worst in the league.
I agree our S2S passing is lame. We dont get into lanes. But at least we seem to crash the net.

While our PP showed some life early, its where I expect to see Grade A passing. While I dont always expect it from Ovi, I expect Grade A passes are getting to him.

Watching Ovi, he was largely behind 2 defenders when Nick had the puck. Green didnt look Ovi's way enough. I dunno. but Green and Nick just dont whip passes. MJ the same. Brouwer did some hard passing last year but it faded.

I want to see Ribs promoted to PP1 if we can't score anytime soon.

Closed Thread