HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
  #351
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,494
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I not only listened to you, I agree with you.

If the Sharks sign him while they are in Canada, he becomes "employed" and would be working in Canada (even if not actually playing), which means he would need a visa.

Once they get back to the US they can sign him with no issues (as a US citizen) and arrange the visa stuff for the next trip north of the border.
That makes a lot of sense.

He traveled with the team to get a mini, mini-camp in and a get-to-know with the other players and will wait until tomorrow to make it formal in SJ.

The way they have shown him on tv in Sharks gear leaded me to believe it's a done deal and something like your scenario above was holding it up. No way in hell Drew and Randy get to talk about a player on tv who isn't a done deal.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:28 PM
  #352
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasShark View Post
Hoping there is no link to the delay in signing Gomez and Gillis quote this morning stating they have a deal for RL contingent on the other team moving another player. The sharks have been rumored to be interested in RL...could there be a link between the delay in signing Gomez and any possible moves to trade for RL. I'd hope not after Niemi's display in the opener.
Where did you see rumors about the Sharks being interested in RL? The only RL I would entertain is RL Stine.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
  #353
pappaf2
Registered User
 
pappaf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 615
vCash: 500
Saw a clip of Gomez on the tsn website doing a "media scrum" after the practice he took part in. He was sporting a sharks hat as the rest of the players do. One would think if he didn't plan on signing with the sharks he wouldn't be sporting their logo for an interview.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
  #354
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Where did you see rumors about the Sharks being interested in RL? The only RL I would entertain is RL Stine.
This lovey rumor came via our friend Eklund @ Hockeybuzz.

I laughed my ass off when he metioned that the Sharks were interested in RL. But apparently DW wouldnt give up Pavs for him....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Luongo/1/48691

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #355
Rickety Cricket
Registered User
 
Rickety Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not Kent Huskins
Country: United States
Posts: 28,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappaf2 View Post
Saw a clip of Gomez on the tsn website doing a "media scrum" after the practice he took part in. He was sporting a sharks hat as the rest of the players do. One would think if he didn't plan on signing with the sharks he wouldn't be sporting their logo for an interview.
Maybe his head was cold. It is Edmonton in January.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:54 PM
  #356
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,343
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
This lovey rumor came via our friend Eklund @ Hockeybuzz.

I laughed my ass off when he metioned that the Sharks were interested in RL. But apparently DW wouldnt give up Pavs for him....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Luongo/1/48691
I'm utterly shocked DW won't give up Pavs for Lu. I mean is Pavs top-5 for his position in the NHL? I don't think so.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  #357
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,494
vCash: 50
Is the Luongo of now and going forward really that much of an upgrade over Niemi?

At least Antti's contract expires in 2+ years.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  #358
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
DW wont sign/trade for any player who isnt a FA until 2022.

This is fact.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
  #359
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,950
vCash: 500
DW isn't gonna trade Antti "Murder Eyes" Niemi for Luongo.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  #360
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
It's posts like this that make me convinced you've never seen him play and are only basing your opinion on his career year. Gomez hasn't broken 20 goals a season in his entire career outside of that one anomoly year. His single 33 goal season was 05-06 (Cheechoo had 56 and goals were sky high that entire year) where scoring was exceptionally high because of the new rule changes. I'm honestly surprised someone is defending his shot because it's pretty well documented that it is terrible.

Granted, Gomez has other tools that make him a successful player when his game works. His shot is fairly accurate despite being one of the worst, and he has great mobility so he can get to those good spots and beat defenders. However, you're comparing him to his stats from 7 years ago, and it's foolish to think he can repeat that performance or even get close to it.

I just think you need to temper your expectations a bit. It is absurd to pay him 3-4 million now when his value is low and he has something to prove. He is a perfect 3rd liner for our team with his skillset (fast, good defensively, great locker room guy with leadership, playmaker), but he's not going to be replacing anyone in our top-6 unless injuries occur, and this is coming from the guy who dislikes Clowe and thinks he should be traded. I'm cautiously optimistic that his game will turn around, but like many have said earlier, there are concerns that need to be cleared up before anyone would give him a second payday.
The Devils were my favorite team to watch from the east on ESPN, ESPN2 and then Center Ice while waiting for sharks games to start. Scott Stevens was one of my all time favorite defensmen. I've probably watched more than a couple hundred Devils games with NJ. Gomez can shoot, he is a passer first. You don't know what you're talking about.

I never said pay him 3 to 4 million under these circumstances so don't put words in my mouth. You need to actually read what I said, I never said or implied he would approach that single season high in goals. All I said is the guy can shoot. He has an NHL level wrister and slapper. There's a huge difference between NHL level and regular joe. I've played in beer leagues with and against ex NHLers and minor leaguers who never sniffed 15 goals let alone 30 and they all had better shots than the best amateur beer league players. If Gomez put up 30 even once against NHL goalies, then he can shoot.

Think what you want, I will think what I want based on a number of years of experience watching him play.

Like I said, we'll see, assuming he signs.


Last edited by NWShark*: 01-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:29 PM
  #361
bullslugg
HFBoards Sponsor
 
bullslugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cali central valley
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Just saw Milbury on NHL live say Gomez should fit in SJ just fine "San Jose the land of underachievers" Seems to be a common theme among so called experts.

bullslugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
  #362
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullslugg View Post
Just saw Milbury on NHL live say Gomez should fit in SJ just fine "San Jose the land of underachievers" Seems to be a common theme among so called experts.
Milbury is a bitter failed hack... I think he also tried to trade for Gomez when he was with the Islanders and failed which probably is where this is coming from.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
  #363
Inub0i
I will Q
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullslugg View Post
Just saw Milbury on NHL live say Gomez should fit in SJ just fine "San Jose the land of underachievers" Seems to be a common theme among so called experts.
Milbury is a ****in' idiot I don't pay much mind to.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:54 PM
  #364
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,255
vCash: 500
Mike Milbury gave up a potential core of Jason Spezza, Zdeno Chara, Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, Olli Jokinen, J.P. Dumont, Bryan Berard, and Roberto Luongo so that he could have Trevor Linden, Mark Parrish, Oleg Kvasha, Rick DiPietro, Alexei Yashin, Felix Potvin, and Dmitri Nabokov.

So that pretty much sums up the extent of Mike Milbury's evaluative talent.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
  #365
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
The Devils were my favorite team to watch from the east on ESPN, ESPN2 and then Center Ice while waiting for sharks games to start. Scott Stevens was one of my all time favorite defensmen. I've probably watched more than a couple hundred Devils games with NJ. Gomez can shoot, he is a passer first. You don't know what you're talking about.

I never said pay him 3 to 4 million under these circumstances so don't put words in my mouth. You need to actually read what I said, I never said or implied he would approach that single season high in goals. All I said is the guy can shoot. He has an NHL level wrister and slapper. There's a huge difference between NHL level and regular joe. I've played in beer leagues with and against ex NHLers and minor leaguers who never sniffed 15 goals let alone 30 and they all had better shots than the best amateur beer league players. If Gomez put up 30 even once against NHL goalies, then he can shoot.

Think what you want, I will think what I want based on a number of years of experience watching him play.

Like I said, we'll see, assuming he signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Anyone lamenting paying more than a million. On a regular open market july 1st free agency day he gets 3 mil minimum per year for 3 years.
You certainly value him as such, otherwise you wouldn't have said it.

So I was right when I said you're basing your opinion on his prior stats and not on reality? Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, that one year was an anomoly for everyone, not just Gomez. He does not have a good shot by NHL standards, and you're just plain wrong if you think he does and you would know that if you ever saw him recently. That's not a knock on him, because he made himself very successful by being an excellent passer and skater, but reality is reality. There certainly is a difference between an NHL shooter and beer leaguers, but Gomez is closer to the latter than the former.

There are plenty of reasons that he could have done poorly in Montreal (such as the expectations garnered from his contract or his poor linemates) that you could pin his numbers on that may change on the Sharks, but that was still while getting power play time and facing much weaker competition. It would be a bad business move to overpay for Gomez now because his value is at an all-time low and his recent performances do not reflect such a payday. Anything more than a million IS overpayment until he proves otherwise, and he would gladly take smaller salary because he's getting paid regardless. I can also see why the Sharks would be hesitant to hand out a longer contract because his health could be a concern. The last thing the team needs is another player sitting on IR for most of the year, and Gomez is at the point in his career where injuries do start to pile up.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
  #366
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
You certainly value him as such, otherwise you wouldn't have said it.

So I was right when I said you're basing your opinion on his prior stats and not on reality? Thanks for clearing that up. Like I said, that one year was an anomoly for everyone, not just Gomez. He does not have a good shot by NHL standards, and you're just plain wrong if you think he does and you would know that if you ever saw him recently. That's not a knock on him, because he made himself very successful by being an excellent passer and skater, but reality is reality. There certainly is a difference between an NHL shooter and beer leaguers, but Gomez is closer to the latter than the former.

There are plenty of reasons that he could have done poorly in Montreal (such as the expectations garnered from his contract or his poor linemates) that you could pin his numbers on that may change on the Sharks, but that was still while getting power play time and facing much weaker competition. It would be a bad business move to overpay for Gomez now because his value is at an all-time low and his recent performances do not reflect such a payday. Anything more than a million IS overpayment until he proves otherwise, and he would gladly take smaller salary because he's getting paid regardless. I can also see why the Sharks would be hesitant to hand out a longer contract because his health could be a concern. The last thing the team needs is another player sitting on IR for most of the year, and Gomez is at the point in his career where injuries do start to pile up.

Dude you are clueless and you can't read... I said on a regular july 1st free agency day he would have gotten 3 to 4 mil from some bottom feeding team like columbus or anyone else who needs to reach the floor. But NOT under these circumstances where there is no time to integrate or carefully evaluate him. The sharks are very lucky that he wants to play here hence the reason all the other teams stopped pursuing him. Of course the sharks don't have to pay him more than a million now due to Gomez's other payday and his desire to play for a winner. I said that already... This really shouldn't be so hard for you to understand.

Other than the last 2 years when he had injury issues, he is as consistent as taxes in his point production. Go on with your assessment all you want. You're wrong. You saying Gomez's shot is closer to a beer leaguer than an NHLer proves you are clueless. You obviously hate the guy and can't tell the difference between NHLers and beer leaguers... No matter how you try to word it or try to insult me you will still be wrong.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
  #367
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Dude you are clueless and you can't read... I said on a regular july 1st free agency day he would have gotten 3 to 4 mil from some bottom feeding team like columbus or anyone else who needs to reach the floor. But NOT under these circumstances where there is no time to integrate or carefully evaluate him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Anyone lamenting paying more than a million. On a regular open market july 1st free agency day he gets 3 mil minimum per year for 3 years. If we sign him for 2 mil for 2 years or even 3 years it would be a major steal. This guy is easily better than Ray Whitney who got 4.5 for 2 years as a 40 year old. Put him with Juicy and Havlat and he gets 50 pts.
You said it would be a steal now if the Sharks sign him for 2 million. A steal implies that he should be making a lot more than 2 million. You then said he's better than Ray Whitney who's making 4.5 million. You might not have outright said it, but you definitely did imply that you think he should be making a lot.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:23 PM
  #368
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Dude you are clueless and you can't read... I said on a regular july 1st free agency day he would have gotten 3 to 4 mil from some bottom feeding team like columbus or anyone else who needs to reach the floor. But NOT under these circumstances where there is no time to integrate or carefully evaluate him. The sharks are very lucky that he wants to play here hence the reason all the other teams stopped pursuing him. This really shouldn't be so hard for you to understand.

Other than the last 2 years when he had injury issues, he is as consistent as taxes in his point production. Go on with your assessment all you want. You're wrong. You saying Gomez's shot is closer to a beer leaguer than an NHLer proves you are clueless. You obviously hate the guy and can't tell the difference between NHLers and beer leaguers... No matter how you try to word it or try to insult me you will still be wrong.
And he wouldn't sign there and it wouldn't be part of the discussion whatsoever. So what was your point in bringing it up in the first place? You have to get your facts straight dude and figure out what exactly you're arguing about.

Injuries are certainly a concern and would leave teams hesitant to hand out a longer contract, aside from potential performance doubts. It doesn't really matter what his performance was prior to injuries because the league is all about recent performances, and there's no guarantee he will go back to how he was prior to his injury. I'm repeating myself again when I say that he's at the point in his career where injuries and bumps do start to add up.

Also I don't hate the guy at all. Personally I think he would be a perfect 3rd liner on the Sharks, like a better version of Wellwood, and would bring veteran leadership and stability to our bottom 6. I just can't for the life of me figure out why you're defending his shot. It's so bizarre to me and is honestly the last thing I'd expect to see someone defend.


Last edited by Chubbs: 01-22-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
  #369
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You said it would be a steal now if the Sharks sign him for 2 million. A steal implies that he should be making a lot more than 2 million. You then said he's better than Ray Whitney who's making 4.5 million. You might not have outright said it, but you definitely did imply that you think he should be making at least 3 million.
Yes, in a regular offseason he would sign for 3 or 4 mil. Yup. And even if he signs for league min this year he'll still be making more than 5 mil right?

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
  #370
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,358
vCash: 500
It's too late for him to be part of the SJ-EDM game though, right?

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
  #371
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,977
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
It's too late for him to be part of the SJ-EDM game though, right?
Right.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:37 PM
  #372
NWShark*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I just can't for the life of me figure out why you're defending his shot. It's so bizarre to me and is honestly the last thing I'd expect to see someone defend.
Your wrist shot doesn't dimish from your 20 to 30s... maybe 40s but not at 33. You don't have to shoot like Marleau or Weber to have a "shot".

Habs goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2od-sjrUx8

Tons of Devils and Rangers in this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywNYGipZBgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbyvoUVJJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Zs0PKNNfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwnQ1Qg29s

This one shows his speed just a couple years ago... would be a great addition to the sharks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUdzm2IE_I

Ripping the puck past NHL goalies. Gomez can shoot, there is the proof. Wicked backhander too. You are wrong.

BTW, wish I had a guy who shot like him on my beer league team... ;P


Last edited by slocal: 01-22-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: enough.
NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
  #373
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,799
vCash: 500
I think he'll put up the equivalent of 38 points, no one else in the bottom 6 would come close to that. Now we really need some one to add goalscoring to the third line.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
  #374
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Your wrist shot doesn't dimish from your 20 to 30s... maybe 40s but not at 33. You don't have to shoot like Marleau or Weber to have a "shot".

Habs goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2od-sjrUx8

Tons of Devils and Rangers in this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywNYGipZBgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbyvoUVJJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Zs0PKNNfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDwnQ1Qg29s

This one shows his speed just a couple years ago... would be a great addition to the sharks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUdzm2IE_I

Ripping the puck past NHL goalies. Gomez can shoot, there is the proof. Wicked backhander too. You are wrong.

BTW, wish I had a guy who shot like him on my beer league team... ;P
Almost all of those goals are from in front of the blue paint, on an anomoly year, over half a decade ago, on a performance he was never able to replicate. Even fourth liners can score highlight reel goals once every blue moon, just look at Mitchell.

He does not have a shot. You're arguing a point that is just completely wrong. He can get goals because he is fast to get to spots and because he has fairly good accuracy. You won't be finding another person who has the same opinion as you regarding his shot. I'm not trying to downplay his ability or his spot on an NHL roster because he has many other tools that can make him successful, but his shot is not one of them.


Last edited by slocal: 01-22-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: edited quote and response
Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:07 PM
  #375
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Where did you see rumors about the Sharks being interested in RL? The only RL I would entertain is RL Stine.
Phew suddenly I have goosebumps

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.