HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks sign Gomez to 1 year $700k deal (Burns to IR to make roster spot)

Old
01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You said it would be a steal now if the Sharks sign him for 2 million. A steal implies that he should be making a lot more than 2 million. You then said he's better than Ray Whitney who's making 4.5 million. You might not have outright said it, but you definitely did imply that you think he should be making a lot.
No you are overstating things. A steal for the Sharks could mean a lot of suitors for the price of 2 million. Sharks often are forced to pay a premium.

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Lshap

As a Habs fan, I've been watching Gomez over the past three years. First, the bad news: He seems to have lost all ability to finish a play. He'll skate into the offensive zone and promptly lose the puck, like crossing the blue line triggered some self-destruct mechanism in his stick. He's not physical and -- as others have mentioned -- doesn't shoot. Now the good news: He's a fast bugger and can move the puck really well out of his end and through the neutral zone. He's also a very popular player in the locker room. So who knows -- maybe a big part of his problem here in Montreal was the unrelenting media pressure, that stupid contract, plus playing with the wrong linemates. All fixable with a change of scenery and forwards. The guy's still got wheels and might be able to put them to good use in a totally new environment. Good luck to him and to your team!

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
As a Habs fan, I've been watching Gomez over the past three years. First, the bad news: He seems to have lost all ability to finish a play. He'll skate into the offensive zone and promptly lose the puck, like crossing the blue line triggered some self-destruct mechanism in his stick. He's not physical and -- as others have mentioned -- doesn't shoot. Now the good news: He's a fast bugger and can move the puck really well out of his end and through the neutral zone. He's also a very popular player in the locker room. So who knows -- maybe a big part of his problem here in Montreal was the unrelenting media pressure, that stupid contract, plus playing with the wrong linemates. All fixable with a change of scenery and forwards. The guy's still got wheels and might be able to put them to good use in a totally new environment. Good luck to him and to your team!
Thanks! I've been wondering what kind of player he's like.

How is he on the PK? If he plays, I bet Handzus is out and we'd want a forward who can take his place on the PK.

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:38 PM
wraith985

I don't understand what's so hard about this. Scott Gomez has a below-average NHL shot, in the same way that Vlasic has a below-average NHL shot. Does that mean they can't score? No. Does that mean they can't be productive? No. Tomas Holmstrom has scored a lot of goals without having an NHL-caliber shot. All it means is that Gomez won't be sniping from the top of the circle or bombing away from the slot. His goals are scored down low, in the dirty areas, off tips, deflections, and rebounds. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't change that his shot is not great.

I am completely mystified why you are so insistent that Scott Gomez has a good shot when it's been the weakest part of his game by far for the entirety of his career.

wraith985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Lucky Luke

I'm quite surprised to hear that the Sharks are interested in Gomez.
I regularly watched him play in Montreal the last two years and he's pretty washed up.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Easy. He's a better 3C than Handzus is for the team.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

I do appreciate those videos though. It does a good job showing what Gomez can do when he's on his game. Unlike Smyth or Holmstrom, who made a career out of parking in front of the net, Gomez sneaks in quickly and cleans up the garbage which is great. His speed would also help the forecheck and PK, both of which were not good last year.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 AM
do0glas

Being capable of an nhl shot, and ripping it consistently and scoring goals that way are different things. Based on those videos I'd wager he's more of a get in the crease and do the dirty work, which in our bottom six is almost non existent.

Pavs makes a living there, I would say his shot is meh as well.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 AM
mjburns
RIP Eyedea

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Being capable of an nhl shot, and ripping it consistently and scoring goals that way are different things. Based on those videos I'd wager he's more of a get in the crease and do the dirty work, which in our bottom six is almost non existent.

If pavs has a "meh" shot i dont even want to know how you would describe most players

mjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:12 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
No you are overstating things. A steal for the Sharks could mean a lot of suitors for the price of 2 million. Sharks often are forced to pay a premium.

I view it as a steal if we get a guy like Gomez who is a proven playoff stud and can play in the top 6 and produce (especially with our group of shooters) for 1.5 mil or less. That is a steal.

But yeah I think a few teams offer him a lot more and probably would have now if it weren't for his ties with Robinson and his apparent sharks tunnel vision. I think he made up his mind the day he was released and that's why he flew out and started practicing with the team.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:16 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith985 View Post
I don't understand what's so hard about this. Scott Gomez has a below-average NHL shot, in the same way that Vlasic has a below-average NHL shot. Does that mean they can't score? No. Does that mean they can't be productive? No. Tomas Holmstrom has scored a lot of goals without having an NHL-caliber shot. All it means is that Gomez won't be sniping from the top of the circle or bombing away from the slot. His goals are scored down low, in the dirty areas, off tips, deflections, and rebounds. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't change that his shot is not great.

I am completely mystified why you are so insistent that Scott Gomez has a good shot when it's been the weakest part of his game by far for the entirety of his career.
I never said he had a great shot and he didn't say below average. He said he has no shot. Still the video shows a guy who can shoot IMO. Gomez has a number of snipes from the top of the circles and bombed away from the slot in those links so how can you even say that? No way he lost the ability to shoot at 33. Sorry but if you think that, you know nothing about actually playing the game on any level.

He has an average NHL level shot with above average accuracy.

Old
01-23-2013, 01:47 AM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor

Imo he has around or below average shot, but on most of those goals he scored, he manages positioning better than average

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:38 AM
StreetSharks
Stay Frosty

Can we sign Samsonov too?

StreetSharks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I never said he had a great shot and he didn't say below average. He said he has no shot. Still the video shows a guy who can shoot IMO. Gomez has a number of snipes from the top of the circles and bombed away from the slot in those links so how can you even say that? No way he lost the ability to shoot at 33. Sorry but if you think that, you know nothing about actually playing the game on any level.

He has an average NHL level shot with above average accuracy.
By no shot I mean well below league average. The only way you can literally have no shot is if you have no arms, and you know that's not what I meant. His shot is the weakest part of his game by a longshot and arguing that he has a good shot based on one or two exception examples is ridiculous. Like I said, watch the videos you posted yourself. Almost all of them are scored right in the front of the net or from garbage duty, and that even includes his 33 goal year highlight reel. You can tell me picks his spots and gets into position well due to his speed, but the shot itself even looks slow on camera. His stick barely torques, and it's closer to shoveling the puck towards the net rather than shooting it.

Fortunately for us, we're not signing him to be a goalscorer. He will do fine on the third line and on top-6 spot duty as a playmaker.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:52 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Ok now you're just being ridiculous. Pavs easily has an above average NHL shot considering how he shoots in the shoot out and how he scores many of his goals. He has a pretty great wrist shot and also must have a pretty decent slapper considering his previous use on the PP and the goals he got from the point then.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:55 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
By no shot I mean well below league average. The only way you can literally have no shot is if you have no arms, and you know that's not what I meant. His shot is the weakest part of his game by a longshot and arguing that he has a good shot based on one or two exception examples is ridiculous. Like I said, watch the videos you posted yourself. Almost all of them are scored right in the front of the net or from garbage duty, and that even includes his 33 goal year highlight reel.
Yes he gets lots of garbage goals which Selanne and Marleau also get who are both prolific goal scorers with world class shots. That has nothing to do with whether or not any of them have good shots or not. Saying he has no shot is the same as saying below average. I disagree and the footage proves my point. This will go no where no matter how long it goes.

Anyway, I'd say defense and hitting are the weakest parts of his game.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:58 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Also now you're extremely nitpicking. I always meant he has a very below average shot and you know it, and I've made it clear that he's made himself successful due to his other tools. You've been arguing this entire topic about how he has a GOOD shot based on his "33 goal season" and now all of a sudden you're backtracking and saying "I never said great!"

Old
01-23-2013, 03:05 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Yes he gets lots of garbage goals which Selanne and Marleau also get who are both prolific goal scorers with world class shots. That has nothing to do with whether or not any of them have good shots or not. Saying he has no shot is the same as saying below average. I disagree and the footage proves my point. This will go no where no matter how long it goes.

Anyway, I'd say defense and hitting are the weakest parts of his game.
There's a difference between getting a few garbage goals here and there and scoring a majority of your goals that way. If he could actually shoot like Marleau or Selanne, there would be more of those goals on the video. I still don't know how you think your videos prove your point at all, because if anything it contradicts your entire premise. You said a person with a bad shot could never have scored 33 goals, yet the video clearly shows how he did it since he was within arms length from the net. Again, you're the one who posted the videos that showed all his great goals from his best seasons to the most current, and those sniper goals were a tiny fraction of them, as in 1 or 2. If he had a good shot, they would show up more just based on probability alone. Fact is he doesn't make those shots very often because his shot is bad. It would be pointless to put him on the point on the power play to blast a one-timer or park him on the half wall to take a quick one-time wrister, or at the very least it would be a really dumb idea that would get a PP/offensive coordinator fired.

The numbers even back it up, and it's not just because he picks his shots. Most forwards average a shooting % somewhere between 10-15%. Gomez averages around 5-6%, and it's been trending down. His shot count isn't even far off from other forwards, so basically he shoots the puck about as often as others but they're not going in. The only year he had an even remotely normal shooting % was during his career year, and it's clear from your video that most of those were scored right in the paint due to his mobility, not his shot. I'll say it again: his shot is poor. His goal totals reflect that. His shooting % reflects that. Video reflects that. He has great mobility that puts him in prime spots and he has fairly good accuracy, but a good shot he does not have.

Last edited by ChubbChubby: 01-23-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old
01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
brian70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Thanks! I've been wondering what kind of player he's like.

How is he on the PK? If he plays, I bet Handzus is out and we'd want a forward who can take his place on the PK.
If I may reply, Gomez is pretty good on PK mainly because he is dangerous on counter-attack. Him and Gionta were quite an exciting pair when they'd steal the puck and create a scoring chance.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:52 AM
ilikeblocks

Signing today? Maybe? The team should arrive back in SJ today (if they aren't already there).

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:13 AM
do0glas

I'm sorry. Shooting from five feet out is much different than out at the circle, pavs doesn't really rip those in, neither does Gomez, you can't point to a handful of samples to prove that it's something they are consistently great at to classify them as shooters. An average nhl shot in relative terms is just meh really. There are reasons Marleau is called an elite goal scorer and pavs an elite shut down. I will say pavs has a good slapper, but I don't ever expect him to score cleanly on then a la Boyle.

I can't help you if you can't see the subtle differences in shooting ability. I'm glad you can tell the difference between beer leaguers and nhlers though.

Last edited by do0glas: 01-23-2013 at 09:35 AM.
do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:52 AM
Arrch

Quote:
I'm sorry. Shooting from five feet out is much different than out at the circle, pavs doesn't really rip those in, neither does Gomez, you can't point to a handful of samples to prove that it's something they are consistently great at to classify them as shooters. An average nhl shot in relative terms is just meh really. There are reasons Marleau is called an elite goal scorer and pavs an elite shut down. I will say pavs has a good slapper, but I don't ever expect him to score cleanly on then a la Boyle.

I can't help you if you can't see the subtle differences in shooting ability. I'm glad you can tell the difference between beer leaguers and nhlers though.
How then, is Pavs money on the shootout? He doesn't deke; all his shootout goals are vanilla wrist shots.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
How then, is Pavs money on the shootout? He doesn't deke; all his shootout goals are vanilla wrist shots.
quck accurate release. pavs has to be one of the best in the business at picking the corners.

pavs on the forehand or backhand has suck a quick accurate release that it doesn't matter where he shoots from he will roof the puck.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
quck accurate release. pavs has to be one of the best in the business at picking the corners.

pavs on the forehand or backhand has suck a quick accurate release that it doesn't matter where he shoots from he will roof the puck.
Which to me, sounds like he has a great shot. He's good on garbage goals, but his shot is still above average.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:01 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Which to me, sounds like he has a great shot. He's good on garbage goals, but his shot is still above average.
It is. A player doesn't have to shoot the puck at 95-100mph to have a good shot.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote