HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paajarvi doing a Buff?

Old
01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Nordic*

vCash: 500
Paajarvi doing a Buff?

What if Paajarvi is really more suited to be a defenceman than a forward? He's got size, defensive awareness (no offensive), great wheels and work ethic. On top of that he did play as a defenceman until he was like 13-14 or something. If Bufyglien could be transformed into a decent defenceman, Paajarvi could certainly do it too.

No?

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Oilers 2016

I prefer the idea of him being a centre actually. He's already defensively aware and he has size. If he can up his offence he could be a solid 2nd/3rd liner. We'll say a Jarret Stoll type with potentially more offence?

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

vCash: 50
klefbom-paajarvi

Cold Dome Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Eytinge

Every time this thread comes up I do a facepalm. I heard Dubnyk played center when he was 12, maybe he can that big 2nd line center we've been craving for?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:34 PM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Every time this thread comes up I do a facepalm. I heard Dubnyk played center when he was 12, maybe he can that big 2nd line center we've been craving for?
I played goalie when i was 10, i tried playing center next year and look at me now, still a goalie!

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Size... But doesn't use it.
Defensive awareness... First one out of the o-zone, not much of a backchecker.
Great wheels... can't beat anyone outside.
Work ethic...more lethargic, actually.
Byfuglien is a beast, Mags is a puppy.
Not sure your proposal is plausible.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

People tend to forget the Buff was a D man in the NHL before becoming a forward.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
alphahelix

I think Paajarvi COULD be a good d-man, but it would require just as much improvement and attention as becoming a good forward. IF he wants to be a good d-man, he'll have to improve his slap shot and physical game, and accrue some experience in the pros on D. If he wants to be a good forward, he'll have to improve his offensive instincts, be more aggressive towards the net, gain more experience defensively, etc.

Either way, he has to improve - unless he wants to be relegated to 4th line chattel.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Shanahanigans

I'd rather convert him into a centre. He already plays a centre's game, always the first one out of the zone when the opposing team gets the puck, and is always the high man when the puck is down low. He doesn't really use his speed down the wing, and if he does, it ends up as a weak shot on net. He's a decent playmaker. 2nd/third line C maybe.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
I'd rather convert him into a centre. He already plays a centre's game, always the first one out of the zone when the opposing team gets the puck, and is always the high man when the puck is down low. He doesn't really use his speed down the wing, and if he does, it ends up as a weak shot on net. He's a decent playmaker. 2nd/third line C maybe.
With his offence, I don't think he can ever be a 2nd line centre in the NHL. On any team. Even assuming that there will be some improvement. He could potentially be a 2nd line winger, but only if things go very well from here and the rest of the line is carrying the weight. 3rd line is more realistic either way. I still hope/pray that he can get his game together and be a 2nd line winger, though.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Shanahanigans

I haven't given up on his offensive game yet. Sure, he doesn't have the offensive instincts of a high end top 6 guy, but I think he can still be a serviceable second liner throughout his career. Remember, he's only 21. A lot of time, this stuff takes a while to click. I still have faith in both him and Gagner to be good top 6 players, but maybe not with this team. A lot of players don't really forge an identity as players until their in their mid 20's.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Burnt Biscuits

I think Pajaarvi is best suited to be a winger leaning more heavily to the defensive side of things. As a defenseman I think Paajarvi would be a bit of a weird tweener doesn't have a great pass to break out the offense doesn't have a big shot from the point, and lacks the physicality you would want from a defenseman who isn't going to break out the offense or launch howitzers from the back end.

The quickest way for Paajarvi to make a meaningful contribution to our team would be to become a mainstay on the penalty kill, and one of our absolute best options on it. To become more effective in general, I'd say he has to learn to be a puck hound his best attribute is his speed, his second is defensive awareness, and lastly his frame while not big of physically imposing he is a strong kid and if he uses his speed he can create puck battles and put pressure on the opposition.

While being quick to get back on d is a great thing to see from a young player and something I'm sure many of our coaches wished they seen from more of our young offensive players over the year, Paajarvi should be one of the last one's back. He should be using his speed on the forecheck or backcheck and hounding the puck carrier all the way up the ice hopefully forcing plays and the puck where we want it to go or putting individual players in situations that they don't want to be in.

After listening to Paajarvi's interview on the Oilers website I would have say if this player does not turn into an NHL player for us that is a huge black-eye on our ability to develop prospects. He's a got enough useful attributes, intelligence, and is very coachable that there is no excuse as to why you can't make an NHL player out of him. He's not at all like Pouliot or Schremp who kept to their guns and wanted to be offensive players no matter what and weren't willing to sacrifice a bit of themselves and their identity for the benefit of the team.

Last edited by Burnt Biscuits: 01-20-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
CorpseFX

over thinking. analysis paralysis.
let the dude develop and adjust a little more.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

I don't think most people realize Buff was drafted as a defenseman.

He didn't make a miraculous transformation. He just went back to what he had played for almost his entire hockey career.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 05:19 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Good call, dnicks17. The thread title should be "Paajarvi doing a Burns".

01-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Gorgeous George

Did Paajarvi stick with the club, or has he been sent down to OKC?

Gorgeous George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
Almost all defensemen in the NHL are either (a) great passers and/or (b) really tough to play against around the net. MPS is neither of those things, so if you converted him to D this late in the game he'd be lucky to turn into one quarter of the player Smid is. Might as well roll with him being a checking forward where he can use his wheels more.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:46 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

I think he needs more time in the AHL no matter what position you want him to play. Honestly a guy with confidence issues shouldn't be asked to switch to odd positions. Develop him so he builds up his confidence and gets better in the position and role he's playing and THEN maybe move him to another position (if at all).

I think you'd do more damage than good by shoving him into a dman role when he's just now barely getting good enough to consider a full time NHL roster job again.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 07:13 PM
BadMedicine*

Magnus anchored the 2nd line in OKC and that line was never given the limelight but Nelson kept them glued together ,he seperated them once briefly.The coaches reliance on them and the fact that they played a shutdwon role with some real offense and didnt take many penaltys speaks volumes about the chemistry of the line.

I believe Magnus is as close to Kurris mindset as we have ever seen here,we just need to see Yakupov feeding him saucers for the crossice onetimers.

Magnus has learned to use his size and physicality to engage the d-men explosivly and create seperation so he can sometimes hit the breaks after creating seperation and establish a half-wall game--this is new and needed.And MPSs speed means he does actually gain the o-zone more than he gets credit for off his rushes.It has been how he managed that first fifteen feet of o-zone penetration that hindered him,now he knows how to create seperation using his speed and size to add a half-wall dimension to his offense,coincidentlly this half-wall position is very comfortable for him because it lets him be in a good position to backcheck with his speed and reach,same place Kurri roosted for years for the same reasons.

Once MPS starts to sneak into that half-wall spot without the puck when Yakupov is challenging the other wing with his speed we will see some beautiful goals from them on crossice onetimers and tap ins on the fly.For now I think he offers more to the 2nd line than Hemmer or anyone else at this point.

We need both Yak and Sam shooting the lights out and we need MPS entering the o-zone late but with dominant speed as an upspeed man to clean up all the rebounds.

Sam and Yak can use their skillsets to play off of the threats of MPSs speed and size all over the ice and create shooting opportunitys.As long as everyone shoots the puck and we see hard working rebound recovery we will be competative.

BadMedicine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:14 PM
Aerchon

Why does this keep comming up? Ive seen this debate a dozen times. It makes no sense. I have never geard anyone in the NHL ever suggest this and even on these boards almost no one thinks this is a good idea.

Shults has ammazing hands why not make him a forward... Nonsense.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:19 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

magnus has great size and reach, maybe he should take some boxing lessons, lose the visor and become an enforcer?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Why does this keep comming up? Ive seen this debate a dozen times. It makes no sense. I have never geard anyone in the NHL ever suggest this and even on these boards almost no one thinks this is a good idea.

Shults has ammazing hands why not make him a forward... Nonsense.
I think it's a bit of fanboy fantasy. Take what you think you see, and the conclusion you want. Then connect the dots whichever way you see fit.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:29 PM
alphahelix

To be fair, when he first came over he said he played D until fairly late in his junior career and something along the lines of being just as comfortable in that position.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Not a fit whatsoever. If anything I love the idea of trying him at center.

Size, defensively sound, great skater. Magnus was a great winger in the SEL because he was able to beat people outside on the wing. Doesn't look like its working in the NHL. He has all the tools to become an elite 3rd line center. And for those who want to say he doesn't use his body.. Marty Hanzal is an elite checking center. He doesn't hit a whole lot he uses his tools.

It would fill a need if it works out. Why not try it?

EDIT- Another thing is it doesn't take an expert to tell he's timid when close to the boards and in a spot to get hit. Get him away from the boards.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Paajarvi has the skill set and play style of a center. He's big, fast, smart and can move the puck around. He really isn't a prototypical winger, especially not on North American ice. He would make a sick 2c.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote