HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
McDoused

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
No, I meant other fanbases. After the Oilers choosing 3 times at #1... no matter who they choose this year, other fanbases will say the Oilers got lucky yet again.

With Tambo's luck they will steal another generational guy like Jankowski and rage will flow from every corner of the globe.
Lol my bad, I guess I was just reading too quickly. This draft should be interesting though. I could see a guy rated as high as 6-7 on some lists but 15-20 on other lists. It definitely seems like a cross between 2003 and 2008.

If I had to go out on a limb, I would actually think we draft a center this year. We already have Musil, Klefbom, Marincin and Teubert in the system.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:36 PM
JetsOilersfan

Well, it will definitely be a center or a LW unless we win the lottery (which is possible) in which case it would be Seth Jones. We'd take him over MacKinnon in a heartbeat (I'm not all that impressed with Mackinnon vs. what we have here already).

Though I would like Barkov too, I think we end up with Sean Monohan

Old
02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Whoops meant defenceman.
Seth Jones and Ryan Pulock are probably better. And that's just in the WHL. Ristolainen would probably be better too.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsOilersfan View Post
Well, it will definitely be a center or a LW unless we win the lottery (which is possible) in which case it would be Seth Jones. We'd take him over MacKinnon in a heartbeat (I'm not all that impressed with Mackinnon vs. what we have here already).

Though I would like Barkov too, I think we end up with Sean Monohan
That's who I've wanted - and expected we would end up with - since last draft. Perfect fit.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Yep, dnicks got it.

I meant other fanbases. After the Oilers choosing 3 times at #1... no matter who they choose this year, other fanbases will say the Oilers got lucky yet again.

With Tambo's luck they will steal another generational guy like Jankowski and rage will flow from every corner of the globe.
Do you see the Oilers moving up the draft with those two 2nd picks or move those two 2nds for another 1st rounder?

Old
02-18-2013, 12:17 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Seth Jones and Ryan Pulock are probably better. And that's just in the WHL. Ristolainen would probably be better too.
Dont get me wrong, I think all the guys you mentioned are better defencemen. But thats because they are good at all aspects of the draft. If Morrissey had the same overall game that the other guys had, he would be rated much higher. When it comes to pure offensive abilities he definitely gives them a run for their money.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Do you see the Oilers moving up the draft with those two 2nd picks or move those two 2nds for another 1st rounder?
Management hasn't really been aggressive in trying to move up in the past several drafts (they could have been trying but they sure didn't succeed)... so I actually doubt they move up this year either.

I think it's more likely they move a 2nd round pick as part of a package for a roster player(or players) to address some of the obvious areas of weakness on the roster rather than trying to exclusively focus on stocking the prospect cupboard with picks that may or may not turn out.

Truth is many of their earlier 2nds and 3rds are looking like either long term projects or outright possible busts so unless they really go all out and try to move up into the 1st half of the 1st round where the possible franchise-type prospects are... I don't think they will concentrate on moving up.

I actually think that if the Oilers do well the rest of the year and are a playoff team... or even a strong challenger for a playoff spot... you just might see the Oilers move their 1st as well in a package for a roster player.

I know some would say it's too early to go throwing 1sts away as the Oilers aren't a true contender but my gut feel is management will want to show that they have turned the corner and are out to actually compete (again that's only if the team is in contention for the playoffs).

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-18-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 01:15 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I think all the guys you mentioned are better defencemen. But thats because they are good at all aspects of the draft. If Morrissey had the same overall game that the other guys had, he would be rated much higher. When it comes to pure offensive abilities he definitely gives them a run for their money.
No he doesnt.

He is a good player, but not on the same level as Jones or Pulock offensively.

Do you watch much whl?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:23 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
I can definitely see them trading the 2nds to move up and take Lazar

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I was thinking the same thing we should try and get a quality Center this draft, time to start completing this rebuild .

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Nobody is going to give up Lazar for two second round picks.

The Oilers will probably take him with their first.

They will probably take Jarry with one of their seconds and Geertsen with their third.

Those are my fearless predictions.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Namtsua

vCash: 400
Which of this year's draftees are the most NHL-ready? I've been hearing so many good things about this draft and I want to know who would make the most immediate impact !

Old
02-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:

They will probably take Jarry with one of their seconds and Geertsen with their third.

I have seen Lazar a couple of times live this season and I notice they sure don't play him that much and he seems like the best skater on the team with a great shot . The games I was at he played around 14/15 min that I estimate . I think he has tons of upside not tapped into yet.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:01 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:

I disagree. He's a very 'safe' pick. I'm sure there'll be a team that'd rather take a gamble on 2 guys they think have higher upside

Old
02-18-2013, 02:07 AM
McDoused

Quote:
No he doesnt.

He is a good player, but not on the same level as Jones or Pulock offensively.

Do you watch much whl?
Yes I do and it's not like I'm alone in my opinion. Craig Button said the same thing.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Yes I do and it's not like I'm alone in my opinion. Craig Button said the same thing.
Then both you and he are wrong. Simple as that. Seth Jones is almost a ppg and Pulock has much better production playing on a much worse team. He also has an elite shot. Both Jones and Pulock have a better shot from the point than Morrissey. What does Morrissey do better than either Jones or Pulock? Better passer? Maybe. Better skater? Doubtful.

Jones rushes the puck up the ice better than either Pulock or Morrissey.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
I disagree. He's a very 'safe' pick. I'm sure there'll be a team that'd rather take a gamble on 2 guys they think have higher upside
Ill bet you a year's avatar that Lazar will be drafted in the first round. Or we can bet cash or something else if you want. You name the stakes.

Youve been **** talking Lazar saying how he is going to be a second round pick for months now. Time to back it up.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:02 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
Ill bet you a year's avatar that Lazar will be drafted in the first round. Or we can bet cash or something else if you want. You name the stakes.

Youve been **** talking Lazar saying how he is going to be a second round pick for months now. Time to back it up.
I haven't been saying I think he goes in the second. I think he goes 20-25. I could see him falling because I don't see the high end upside out of Lazar, but I haven't been **** talking him. I simply see him as a safe bet for a good middle 6 center. I think you might have misunderstood my post

Old
02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
I haven't been saying I think he goes in the second. I think he goes 20-25. I could see him falling because I don't see the high end upside out of Lazar, but I haven't been **** talking him. I simply see him as a safe bet for a good middle 6 center. I think you might have misunderstood my post
You never said that you wouldnt take him in the first round?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:26 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

Quote:
You never said that you wouldnt take him in the first round?
I'm pretty sure I did say I wouldn't. I still see him as a first round pick though. I'm sure our managment is much higher on him than I am

Old
02-18-2013, 11:59 AM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

If we're talking best offensive defenseman and ignoring defensive/size deficiencies, it's Jordan Subban for me.

Super talented, drives the Bulls' offense, but not even big enough to play wing in the NHL.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Sethis

I'm torn. Either one of Barkov or Monahan would be absolutely perfect for solidifying the front line going forward, but we would need a pretty high level of suck to get them. Unless we trade up, but our management moves about as fast as a ground sloth, and you need to be able to react quickly on draft day.

Really would love either one of those guys though. Really, really.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Then both you and he are wrong. Simple as that. Seth Jones is almost a ppg and Pulock has much better production playing on a much worse team. He also has an elite shot. Both Jones and Pulock have a better shot from the point than Morrissey. What does Morrissey do better than either Jones or Pulock? Better passer? Maybe. Better skater? Doubtful.

Jones rushes the puck up the ice better than either Pulock or Morrissey.
That's your opinion then. I still think that Josh is an exceptional skater and has great vision on the ice. He hardly ever coughs up the puck and has a great first pass. I honestly see him being a Kris Letang light and wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him top 10. Right now I think Jones goes first overall and have Pulock ahead of Morrissey but Josh could turn into a very special player. If we are drafting 15th or so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to draft a kid of his skill level. I don't want us passing on another Parise because of our team need.

With respect to Jones, I like him because of how easy he makes things look. Overall he is miles ahead and plays that simple and effective game. He rushes the puck up exceptionally well but he isn't the same style of player as Morrissey.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
I'm torn. Either one of Barkov or Monahan would be absolutely perfect for solidifying the front line going forward, but we would need a pretty high level of suck to get them. Unless we trade up, but our management moves about as fast as a ground sloth, and you need to be able to react quickly on draft day.

Really would love either one of those guys though. Really, really.
Adding a guy like that would be a dream come true on draft day. I don't see either slipping to us though. Mate Calgary trades down again and we can get a better pick?

Old
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Everyone seems pretty much 100% certain that the Oilers would pick either a D or C with their 1st. What if they surprise us by choosing a winger?

I mean 2 of their three #1's have been wingers and they obviously have needed C and D all during these last 3 years.

If the BPA is clearly a winger when they choose... could you see them going with a player like Erne or Zykov?

Closed Thread