HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
MessierII

vCash: 500
Gauthier would be my guy. Really it depends where we end up picking though.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Oilers4life1987

What Ive gathered from the results are:
1 rd: Lazar/Gauthier
Which i understand but to add more C depth to the org. this is what iI'd do with both picks
2nd rounders: Kujawinski
Spencer Martin as the goalie.

Also, anyone think the Oilers will get additional picks for players such as Omark, Peckham, etc in this years draft

Old
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
In NHL 13 I drafted Jones third overall, Shinkaruik 8th, and Lazar 33rd. I also grabbed Dadonov and Gauthier later on in the draft.

Those are my expectations for this draft.
I know its sarcasm, but my god would I be pissed if we took Shinkaruk. People complain about Gagner being too small and meanwhile, Shinkaruk has the strength and tenacity of a 5 year old

Old
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
bsmith14

What is Gauthiers physical game like? I wouldnt mind a big winger like Erne as well.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
What is Gauthiers physical game like? I wouldnt mind a big winger like Erne as well.
From what I've heard, he uses his size well to win battles, but isn't overly physical

Old
02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I know its sarcasm, but my god would I be pissed if we took Shinkaruk. People complain about Gagner being too small and meanwhile, Shinkaruk has the strength and tenacity of a 5 year old
Agree, Shinkaruk is not a good fit for this team.

Drouin is not a good fit either although he should long off the board when we pick.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post

Drouin is not a good fit either although he should long off the board when we pick.
I have the feeling that Drouin is a good fit just because of his talent level. he would be worth picking and trading other players for size to build around him (ie Gagner, Hemsky)

Old
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
I saw a Corey Pronman tweet not too long ago that said he uses his size well, but isn't "mean".

Old
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post

Quote:
I have the feeling that Drouin is a good fit just because of his talent level. he would be worth picking and trading other players for size to build around him (ie Gagner, Hemsky)
I agree with GOG. The problem with taking Drouin and trading him, is that for us to get better value than at the draft, he has to show well, and we have nowhere to play him. He's not the type of player you can throw on the 4th line

Old
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Will Drouin be better than Hall, Eberle or Yakupov? because you cant go with all 4 of them as your top 6 wingers. Long term you have to get at least 1 big winger in your top 6 so if you take Drouin you are trading one of #4,#14 or #64 and thats not happening imo.

Personally I think Drouin goes #2 or 3 and the Oilers pick #10-15 so this is probably irrelevant anyway.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Honest Q... let's say you had a crystal ball and you absolutely KNEW that a guy like Drouin was going to put up 10 straight 80-90 pt seasons in his career. (hypothetical I know... but let's say that's the case for certain)

I know everyone wants more size, grit, sandpaper, tenacity, truculence, belligerence, toughness, physicality, jam and peanut butter in the Oilers lineup... but I don't think you can overlook pure skill and god given talent either.

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowly moving more and more towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

We're seeing that with more suspensions of "tough players" and penalty calls on hooking/holding/obstruction type plays which are slowly taking the Smyth/Sutton type players out of the league.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent instead of a major emphasis on size.

Sure you take Barkov over Drouin BUT if Drouin slides (for whatever reason) and is sitting there when the Oilers pick at say #10... take him and be very happy. IMO anyway.

edit.. probably too obvious to say to pick him at #10... because that's obvious value at that point. I'd probably choose him even as a #5 pick for the Oilers. Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov/Monahan ahead of him and not sure about Monahan to tell the truth.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honest Q... let's say you had a crystal ball and you absolutely KNEW that a guy like Drouin was going to put up 10 straight 80-90 pt seasons in his career. (hypothetical I know... but let's say that's the case for certain)

I know everyone wants more size, grit, sandpaper, tenacity, truculence, belligerence, toughness, physicality, jam and peanut butter in the Oilers lineup... but I don't think you can overlook pure skill and god given talent either.

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowing moving towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

We're seeing that with more suspensions of "tough players" and penalty calls on hooking/holding/obstruction type plays which are slowly taking the Smyth/Sutton type players out of the league.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent not putting a major emphasis on size.

Sure you take Barkov over Drouin BUT if Drouin slides (for whatever reason) and is sitting there when the Oilers pick at say #10... take him and be very happy. IMO anyway.
Of course you take him if that's the case. If Drouin falls to 10 you take him regardless. There's simply no chance he falls that far though. He's a top 5 pick.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowly moving more and more towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent not putting a major emphasis on size.

Its good asset management but would be a piss poor pick in terms of rounding out the team.
I really think a good player will slide to us like Couturier, Grigorenko and Forsberg have done in the last couple of drafts, maybe Lindholm?

Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Drouin probably ends up around 5'11'' 200lbs, is strong on his skates and probably has the best hands at the draft since Patrick Kane or Tavares.

I'd be laughing all the way to the podium if he's still on the board at 5-10.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If it's the case of Drouin or Mackinnon I think you have to take them as BPA even if they don't obviously fill a need.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Drouin probably ends up around 5'11'' 200lbs, is strong on his skates and probably has the best hands at the draft since Patrick Kane or Tavares.

I'd be laughing all the way to the podium if he's still on the board at 5-10.
Since RNH. His overall make-up and playing style appears very similar to The Nuge imo.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
BarDownBobo

I'd personally have Drouin third on my list for the Oilers this season, behind Jones and Barkov. I think he'll be a better player than MacKinnon personally.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
DousedInOil

Normally I'm an advocate of BPA but if I had to choose between Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan... I'm taking a center regardless if Drouin turns out to be slightly better than those guys. I just don't see a spot for him on the team and we need to start getting bigger in our top 6-9.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Normally I'm an advocate of BPA but if I had to choose between Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan... I'm taking a center regardless if Drouin turns out to be slightly better than those guys. I just don't see a spot for him on the team and we need to start getting bigger in our top 6-9.
Yeah, I agree with you. The BPA argument is harder to make each year.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
From what I've heard, he uses his size well to win battles, but isn't overly physical
They say that about every big guy who isn't bullying people. If you're talking about a first round draft pick, you're looking at skill first. Big guys who have skill AND a mean streak are pretty hard to come by.

They said the same things about Sean Couturier and I'd sure like to have a guy like that in our lineup.

Gauthier may need more time in junior though. He won't be plug and play for next year. But I'd take him.

Also, I'm assuming we're not in the top 10

Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Since RNH. His overall make-up and playing style appears very similar to The Nuge imo.

IMO, in terms of pure offense- in a general sense- Drouin is more dangerous. RNH is a better playmaker but Drouin is dynamic and daaaaangerously cheesy.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Paralyzer008

I don't mind Lazar...but I don't think he's the right guy for Edmonton. Does he play small? No, but he's smallish, and there are guys I just like better as fits for our organization going forward.

3 guys who make sense for the Oilers to draft in the first round:

1) Zachary Fucale

Other than Tyler Bunz, we don't have a truly quality goalie prospect. Fucale changes that. He also has the mental toughness to learn from mistakes.

2) Ryan Pulock

Smart D-man who can move the puck, we have some D prospects who are defensive (Klefbom, Musil, Teubert come to mind) and we tried to booster the offensive depth by drafting Laleggia, but this guy truly has the smarts and he's got an all around game that could be developed well. If Pulock isn't available when we draft, Josh Morrissey is another guy to consider.

3) Valentin Zykov

A bigger guy, 6 feet 210 pounds, who can play strong on the boards and yet has great hands. Having a successful first season in the QMJHL. I know he's a RW, but I don't really care, because eventually Hemsky is going to leave because of the numbers game and this guy has enough skill for a powerplay unit but also is the perfect contender third liner.

I know a lot of people want a center, but with RNH/Gagner/Lander/Vande Velde as the possible future setup of the team, we may not really need one. I think Gauthier is great, but I'm not sure if he will be available to us where we pick with his size. I believe these three (four including Morrissey) would be my guys of interest heading into the draft.

My Oilers first two rounds go like this:
1st rounder-Zachary Fucale
2nd rounder-Madison Bowey
2nd rounder-Arturri Lehkonen or Michael McCarron (John's brother) or Hudson Fasching

Also tempted to find a way to draft Samuel Morin...a 6 foot 7 d-man

If we end up in the top ten, Valeri Nicushkin is my man, also a big fan of Barkov and Monahan. I don't think we'll be low enough for MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 02-19-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Still way too many variables... we don't know where the Oilers will finish and we don't know how the prospects are going to shake out in their respective playoff stretches.

The last 3 years the Oilers have made it much easier for us by locking down a lotto spot by this time of the year and then we all had only a few names to debate at the very top of the draft.

Damn them for being more competitive this year and leaving so much up in the air.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
He's exactly what we don't need, in real life I know, but he progresses nicely in NHL 13. Like a year after draftin him he's already an 82 overall with 94 offensive instincts.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I don't mind Lazar...but I don't think he's the right guy for Edmonton. Does he play small? No, but he's smallish, and there are guys I just like better as fits for our organization going forward.

3 guys who make sense for the Oilers to draft in the first round:

1) Zachary Fucale

Other than Tyler Bunz, we don't have a truly quality goalie prospect. Fucale changes that. He also has the mental toughness to learn from mistakes.

2) Ryan Pulock

Smart D-man who can move the puck, we have some D prospects who are defensive (Klefbom, Musil, Teubert come to mind) and we tried to booster the offensive depth by drafting Laleggia, but this guy truly has the smarts and he's got an all around game that could be developed well. If Pulock isn't available when we draft, Josh Morrissey is another guy to consider.

3) Valentin Zykov

A bigger guy, 6 feet 210 pounds, who can play strong on the boards and yet has great hands. Having a successful first season in the QMJHL. I know he's a RW, but I don't really care, because eventually Hemsky is going to leave because of the numbers game and this guy has enough skill for a powerplay unit but also is the perfect contender third liner.

I know a lot of people want a center, but with RNH/Gagner/Lander/Vande Velde as the possible future setup of the team, we may not really need one. I think Gauthier is great, but I'm not sure if he will be available to us where we pick with his size. I believe these three (four including Morrissey) would be my guys of interest heading into the draft.

My Oilers first two rounds go like this:
1st rounder-Zachary Fucale
2nd rounder-Madison Bowey
2nd rounder-Arturri Lehkonen or Michael McCarron (John's brother) or Hudson Fasching

Also tempted to find a way to draft Samuel Morin...a 6 foot 7 d-man
I'd also be interested in Mike McCarron but probably only if he lasts to the 3rd round. Big Boy. Oilers would need to get another pick to draft him there though.

Closed Thread