HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
  #376
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,369
vCash: 500
Gauthier would be my guy. Really it depends where we end up picking though.

MessierII is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:06 PM
  #377
Oilers4life1987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
What Ive gathered from the results are:
1 rd: Lazar/Gauthier
Which i understand but to add more C depth to the org. this is what iI'd do with both picks
2nd rounders: Kujawinski
Spencer Martin as the goalie.

Also, anyone think the Oilers will get additional picks for players such as Omark, Peckham, etc in this years draft

Oilers4life1987 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
  #378
The Nuge
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
In NHL 13 I drafted Jones third overall, Shinkaruik 8th, and Lazar 33rd. I also grabbed Dadonov and Gauthier later on in the draft.

Those are my expectations for this draft.
I know its sarcasm, but my god would I be pissed if we took Shinkaruk. People complain about Gagner being too small and meanwhile, Shinkaruk has the strength and tenacity of a 5 year old

The Nuge is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
  #379
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
What is Gauthiers physical game like? I wouldnt mind a big winger like Erne as well.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
  #380
The Nuge
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
What is Gauthiers physical game like? I wouldnt mind a big winger like Erne as well.
From what I've heard, he uses his size well to win battles, but isn't overly physical

The Nuge is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
  #381
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I know its sarcasm, but my god would I be pissed if we took Shinkaruk. People complain about Gagner being too small and meanwhile, Shinkaruk has the strength and tenacity of a 5 year old
Agree, Shinkaruk is not a good fit for this team.

Drouin is not a good fit either although he should long off the board when we pick.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  #382
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Agree, Shinkaruk is not a good fit for this team.

Drouin is not a good fit either although he should long off the board when we pick.
I have the feeling that Drouin is a good fit just because of his talent level. he would be worth picking and trading other players for size to build around him (ie Gagner, Hemsky)

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  #383
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
What is Gauthiers physical game like? I wouldnt mind a big winger like Erne as well.
I saw a Corey Pronman tweet not too long ago that said he uses his size well, but isn't "mean".

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
  #384
The Nuge
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Agree, Shinkaruk is not a good fit for this team.

Drouin is not a good fit either although he should long off the board when we pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I have the feeling that Drouin is a good fit just because of his talent level. he would be worth picking and trading other players for size to build around him (ie Gagner, Hemsky)
I agree with GOG. The problem with taking Drouin and trading him, is that for us to get better value than at the draft, he has to show well, and we have nowhere to play him. He's not the type of player you can throw on the 4th line

The Nuge is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
  #385
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
I have the feeling that Drouin is a good fit just because of his talent level. he would be worth picking and trading other players for size to build around him (ie Gagner, Hemsky)
Will Drouin be better than Hall, Eberle or Yakupov? because you cant go with all 4 of them as your top 6 wingers. Long term you have to get at least 1 big winger in your top 6 so if you take Drouin you are trading one of #4,#14 or #64 and thats not happening imo.

Personally I think Drouin goes #2 or 3 and the Oilers pick #10-15 so this is probably irrelevant anyway.

gooilgo is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
  #386
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Honest Q... let's say you had a crystal ball and you absolutely KNEW that a guy like Drouin was going to put up 10 straight 80-90 pt seasons in his career. (hypothetical I know... but let's say that's the case for certain)

I know everyone wants more size, grit, sandpaper, tenacity, truculence, belligerence, toughness, physicality, jam and peanut butter in the Oilers lineup... but I don't think you can overlook pure skill and god given talent either.

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowly moving more and more towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

We're seeing that with more suspensions of "tough players" and penalty calls on hooking/holding/obstruction type plays which are slowly taking the Smyth/Sutton type players out of the league.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent instead of a major emphasis on size.

Sure you take Barkov over Drouin BUT if Drouin slides (for whatever reason) and is sitting there when the Oilers pick at say #10... take him and be very happy. IMO anyway.

edit.. probably too obvious to say to pick him at #10... because that's obvious value at that point. I'd probably choose him even as a #5 pick for the Oilers. Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov/Monahan ahead of him and not sure about Monahan to tell the truth.


Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-19-2013 at 04:31 PM.
nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #387
The Nuge
Some Say...
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honest Q... let's say you had a crystal ball and you absolutely KNEW that a guy like Drouin was going to put up 10 straight 80-90 pt seasons in his career. (hypothetical I know... but let's say that's the case for certain)

I know everyone wants more size, grit, sandpaper, tenacity, truculence, belligerence, toughness, physicality, jam and peanut butter in the Oilers lineup... but I don't think you can overlook pure skill and god given talent either.

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowing moving towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

We're seeing that with more suspensions of "tough players" and penalty calls on hooking/holding/obstruction type plays which are slowly taking the Smyth/Sutton type players out of the league.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent not putting a major emphasis on size.

Sure you take Barkov over Drouin BUT if Drouin slides (for whatever reason) and is sitting there when the Oilers pick at say #10... take him and be very happy. IMO anyway.
Of course you take him if that's the case. If Drouin falls to 10 you take him regardless. There's simply no chance he falls that far though. He's a top 5 pick.

The Nuge is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  #388
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile
 
gooilgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Area 51
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Honest Q... let's say you had a crystal ball and you absolutely KNEW that a guy like Drouin was going to put up 10 straight 80-90 pt seasons in his career. (hypothetical I know... but let's say that's the case for certain)

I know everyone wants more size, grit, sandpaper, tenacity, truculence, belligerence, toughness, physicality, jam and peanut butter in the Oilers lineup... but I don't think you can overlook pure skill and god given talent either.

There are plenty of smaller players doing well across the league and the game I think is slowly moving more and more towards a faster and more skill-oriented game.

We're seeing that with more suspensions of "tough players" and penalty calls on hooking/holding/obstruction type plays which are slowly taking the Smyth/Sutton type players out of the league.

Long way of saying take the BPA and the BPA should be determined by skill and overall talent not putting a major emphasis on size.

Sure you take Barkov over Drouin BUT if Drouin slides (for whatever reason) and is sitting there when the Oilers pick at say #10... take him and be very happy. IMO anyway.
Its good asset management but would be a piss poor pick in terms of rounding out the team.
I really think a good player will slide to us like Couturier, Grigorenko and Forsberg have done in the last couple of drafts, maybe Lindholm?

gooilgo is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:17 PM
  #389
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 1115
Drouin probably ends up around 5'11'' 200lbs, is strong on his skates and probably has the best hands at the draft since Patrick Kane or Tavares.

I'd be laughing all the way to the podium if he's still on the board at 5-10.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
  #390
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
If it's the case of Drouin or Mackinnon I think you have to take them as BPA even if they don't obviously fill a need.

dustrock is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
  #391
Grod
The New Era Lives On
 
Grod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Drouin probably ends up around 5'11'' 200lbs, is strong on his skates and probably has the best hands at the draft since Patrick Kane or Tavares.

I'd be laughing all the way to the podium if he's still on the board at 5-10.
Since RNH. His overall make-up and playing style appears very similar to The Nuge imo.

Grod is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
  #392
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
I'd personally have Drouin third on my list for the Oilers this season, behind Jones and Barkov. I think he'll be a better player than MacKinnon personally.

BarDownBobo is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
  #393
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 500
Normally I'm an advocate of BPA but if I had to choose between Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan... I'm taking a center regardless if Drouin turns out to be slightly better than those guys. I just don't see a spot for him on the team and we need to start getting bigger in our top 6-9.

DousedInOil is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 05:19 PM
  #394
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Normally I'm an advocate of BPA but if I had to choose between Drouin, MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan... I'm taking a center regardless if Drouin turns out to be slightly better than those guys. I just don't see a spot for him on the team and we need to start getting bigger in our top 6-9.
Yeah, I agree with you. The BPA argument is harder to make each year.

dustrock is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
  #395
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it
 
Neilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
From what I've heard, he uses his size well to win battles, but isn't overly physical
They say that about every big guy who isn't bullying people. If you're talking about a first round draft pick, you're looking at skill first. Big guys who have skill AND a mean streak are pretty hard to come by.

They said the same things about Sean Couturier and I'd sure like to have a guy like that in our lineup.

Gauthier may need more time in junior though. He won't be plug and play for next year. But I'd take him.

Also, I'm assuming we're not in the top 10

Neilio is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
  #396
alphahelix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Since RNH. His overall make-up and playing style appears very similar to The Nuge imo.

IMO, in terms of pure offense- in a general sense- Drouin is more dangerous. RNH is a better playmaker but Drouin is dynamic and daaaaangerously cheesy.

alphahelix is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
  #397
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,934
vCash: 500
I don't mind Lazar...but I don't think he's the right guy for Edmonton. Does he play small? No, but he's smallish, and there are guys I just like better as fits for our organization going forward.

3 guys who make sense for the Oilers to draft in the first round:

1) Zachary Fucale

Other than Tyler Bunz, we don't have a truly quality goalie prospect. Fucale changes that. He also has the mental toughness to learn from mistakes.

2) Ryan Pulock

Smart D-man who can move the puck, we have some D prospects who are defensive (Klefbom, Musil, Teubert come to mind) and we tried to booster the offensive depth by drafting Laleggia, but this guy truly has the smarts and he's got an all around game that could be developed well. If Pulock isn't available when we draft, Josh Morrissey is another guy to consider.

3) Valentin Zykov

A bigger guy, 6 feet 210 pounds, who can play strong on the boards and yet has great hands. Having a successful first season in the QMJHL. I know he's a RW, but I don't really care, because eventually Hemsky is going to leave because of the numbers game and this guy has enough skill for a powerplay unit but also is the perfect contender third liner.

I know a lot of people want a center, but with RNH/Gagner/Lander/Vande Velde as the possible future setup of the team, we may not really need one. I think Gauthier is great, but I'm not sure if he will be available to us where we pick with his size. I believe these three (four including Morrissey) would be my guys of interest heading into the draft.

My Oilers first two rounds go like this:
1st rounder-Zachary Fucale
2nd rounder-Madison Bowey
2nd rounder-Arturri Lehkonen or Michael McCarron (John's brother) or Hudson Fasching

Also tempted to find a way to draft Samuel Morin...a 6 foot 7 d-man

If we end up in the top ten, Valeri Nicushkin is my man, also a big fan of Barkov and Monahan. I don't think we'll be low enough for MacKinnon/Jones/Drouin


Last edited by Paralyzer008: 02-19-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Paralyzer008 is online now  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
  #398
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,858
vCash: 500
Still way too many variables... we don't know where the Oilers will finish and we don't know how the prospects are going to shake out in their respective playoff stretches.

The last 3 years the Oilers have made it much easier for us by locking down a lotto spot by this time of the year and then we all had only a few names to debate at the very top of the draft.

Damn them for being more competitive this year and leaving so much up in the air.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
  #399
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I know its sarcasm, but my god would I be pissed if we took Shinkaruk. People complain about Gagner being too small and meanwhile, Shinkaruk has the strength and tenacity of a 5 year old
He's exactly what we don't need, in real life I know, but he progresses nicely in NHL 13. Like a year after draftin him he's already an 82 overall with 94 offensive instincts.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
  #400
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I don't mind Lazar...but I don't think he's the right guy for Edmonton. Does he play small? No, but he's smallish, and there are guys I just like better as fits for our organization going forward.

3 guys who make sense for the Oilers to draft in the first round:

1) Zachary Fucale

Other than Tyler Bunz, we don't have a truly quality goalie prospect. Fucale changes that. He also has the mental toughness to learn from mistakes.

2) Ryan Pulock

Smart D-man who can move the puck, we have some D prospects who are defensive (Klefbom, Musil, Teubert come to mind) and we tried to booster the offensive depth by drafting Laleggia, but this guy truly has the smarts and he's got an all around game that could be developed well. If Pulock isn't available when we draft, Josh Morrissey is another guy to consider.

3) Valentin Zykov

A bigger guy, 6 feet 210 pounds, who can play strong on the boards and yet has great hands. Having a successful first season in the QMJHL. I know he's a RW, but I don't really care, because eventually Hemsky is going to leave because of the numbers game and this guy has enough skill for a powerplay unit but also is the perfect contender third liner.

I know a lot of people want a center, but with RNH/Gagner/Lander/Vande Velde as the possible future setup of the team, we may not really need one. I think Gauthier is great, but I'm not sure if he will be available to us where we pick with his size. I believe these three (four including Morrissey) would be my guys of interest heading into the draft.

My Oilers first two rounds go like this:
1st rounder-Zachary Fucale
2nd rounder-Madison Bowey
2nd rounder-Arturri Lehkonen or Michael McCarron (John's brother) or Hudson Fasching

Also tempted to find a way to draft Samuel Morin...a 6 foot 7 d-man
I'd also be interested in Mike McCarron but probably only if he lasts to the 3rd round. Big Boy. Oilers would need to get another pick to draft him there though.

Delicious Pancakes is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.