HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Can he? He's only a '93 so he is still technically in the draft, I was proposing we actually take him in the draft because I assume other teams have interest in him as well and he's going to be drafted, and I would rather see him as Oilers property, so it's not really wasting an asset?
If he didnt get picked last year of the year before, I highly doubt he gets picked this year.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:14 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
And Nurse is still my pick from the 5-15 range. If Soo goes out in the 1st, Nurse is going to absolutely blow up with a performance at U-18's is my prediction. This kid is a player for real - a pure beast and specimen with athletic bloodlines. I would be flipping the table over to get him picked if I was at the Oilers draft table.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If he didnt get picked last year of the year before, I highly doubt he gets picked this year.
Fair enough, just thought with his conversion to forward and cleaning up his act he might garner a little more interest. He's ranked in the 80's on Central's list, a guy like Andrew Shaw got picked as a 19 year old and I expect Lipon to this year as well. Would like to have him on board in any case, have a decent feeling about this guy.

Old
02-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Sticking to my prediction... 24th overall.. 7th overall pick...

1st Columbus- MacKinnon (star forward they need)
2nd Buffalo- Jones (big tough top pairing guy they don't have)
3rd Calgary- Drouin (flashy skilled forward for the first line)
4th Florida- Monahan (replace Weiss with future captain #1 C)
5th Colorado- Lindholm (replace O'Reilly with linemate for Landeskog)
6th Washington- Barkov (could be best player in draft when all done)
7th Edmonton- Nurse (less important to get forward or rushing D with Schultz- now it is time for a physical specimen)
8th Winnipeg- Nichushkin (good linemate for Burmistrov)
9th Phoenix- Shinkaruk (don't have lots of threats like this)
10th NYI- Domi (like to reach on kids like this)
11th Philadelphia- Ristolainen (must be better than last Fin D Flyers took )
12th Detroit- Hagg (Red Wings use rare miss to fill biggest hole)
13th Minnesota- Pulock (D doesn't have anyone else like him)
14th Carolina- Hartman (Own the Whalers remember)
15th LAK- Erne (Big power forward right fit for Kings)
Yikes, I don't like where you have Calgary picking there.

I actually hope Calgary makes the playoffs this year as an 8th seed, and then gets crushed in 4 straight games. This way, they'll keep Iginla and Kipper on the payroll, lose them to free agency in the summer, and have **** all to show for it.

Old
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
rockinghockey

If Nichushkin is available you take him, his stock is rising pretty quick. He could be a top 3 pick.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If Nichushkin is available you take him, his stock is rising pretty quick. He could be a top 3 pick.
No he wont. He's locked in a contract in KHL for a few years. He is Russian. The knock on him is his passing ability and hockey sense. No way NHL teams pick him top 3

Old
02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

vCash: 50
Yeah, I'd be steering clear of Nichushkin.

Unless we're picking in the middle of the first and all the centers and defensemen are gone, I might take a flyer.

He doesn't really fill a need and him not seeing NA ice until 2015-16 is kind of scary.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:25 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Yeah, I'd be steering clear of Nichushkin.

Unless we're picking in the middle of the first and all the centers and defensemen are gone, I might take a flyer.

He doesn't really fill a need and him not seeing NA ice until 2015-16 is kind of scary.
I'm not too worried about his contract or him playing the wing. If he's the BPA I would still go with him. Some scouts obviously think he is a superstar in the making so from that perspective I'm interested. Sometimes you have to gamble on a player with his size.

Having said that, his hockey sense scares me. When you combine that with being in a deep draft, I'm not sure he is even a top 10 pick in this years draft. I'd rather gamble on a guy like Ristolainen.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Not sure if it has been discussed, but the NHL.com mock drafts all had us picking 7, and they all had Monahan fall past us. I would be furious if he were there and we didn't take him.

Old
02-26-2013, 09:49 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Not sure if it has been discussed, but the NHL.com mock drafts all had us picking 7, and they all had Monahan fall past us. I would be furious if he were there and we didn't take him.
I'd be fine if we took Lindholm or Pulock over Monahan.
Wasn't too impressed with Morrisey though, and I am an expert since I saw him play once .

Old
02-26-2013, 10:17 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Yeah I'd be pissed too if we passed on him. He is exactly what we desperately need. Center with size, smarts, face off ability, good two way game and intangibles.

The Oilers have scouted Lindholm quite a bit so if he was available when we pick I have a feeling we would go with him over Monahan.

Haven't seen enough of Lindholm (outside off wjc and two sel games) to say who is better...

Old
02-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Paralyzer008

Two questions:

1) Any chance we can grab Anton Slepyshev in a later round?
2) Same question, but for Sven Andrighetto?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:15 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yeah I'd be pissed too if we passed on him. He is exactly what we desperately need. Center with size, smarts, face off ability, good two way game and intangibles.

The Oilers have scouted Lindholm quite a bit so if he was available when we pick I have a feeling we would go with him over Monahan.

Haven't seen enough of Lindholm (outside off wjc and two sel games) to say who is better...
If Lindholm was bigger I'd have no problem taking him. He's probably more physical than Monahan is at this point but will never be an intimidating player. I think he's a cross between Backstrom, Brad Richards and Giroux.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

Our past draft tendencies make me think we would like Lindholm better we always love playmaking centers. Based on scouting reports I'd prefer Monahan being the bigger player with more 2 way ability, even if he were to bust I think we'd still be looking at a high end 3rd line center which is probably more than you can say for Lindholm, I'd have to defer to our scouts though having only seen each play twice. Lindholm's youtube highlight package looked to be better than Monahan's though, but that can always be deceiving **cough* Mikhnov**cough**.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Wouldn't mind Hartman, but I think we shouldn't be taking him in the top 10 (if that's where we pick) obviously. We have two seconds, maybe we could move up to 20 ish and take him.

I want the Oilers to find an almost NHL ready guy with size and grit. We can't take on a project, we need this kind of player now.

Gauthier and Hartman are the most interesting to me. Getting both would be unbelievable.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Me too, nothing against Lindhold, but I think that's an incredibly risky move. He's only 6'0 185 right now, so he'll probably end up at 6'1, 190, which is something we almost already have in Gagner.

My opinion isn't worth too much because I haven't seen much of Lindholm, I'm just a huge fan of Monahan.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Mr Forever

Just read a few write ups on Lindholm, sounds like a nice prospect..

I still like Monahan over him, for us, though.

Although I usually wouldn't support this, I think it's about time we draft for need rather than skill.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Just read a few write ups on Lindholm, sounds like a nice prospect..

I still like Monahan over him, for us, though.

Although I usually wouldn't support this, I think it's about time we draft for need rather than skill.
I agree. A center is needed in this draft. If you can get a gritty winger go for it. Take a defenseman is it's an obvious pick like a Fowler falling to 12th kind of thing but we need a skill/grit combo and we need a big center.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I agree. A center is needed in this draft. If you can get a gritty winger go for it. Take a defenseman is it's an obvious pick like a Fowler falling to 12th kind of thing but we need a skill/grit combo and we need a big center.
Ideally, we could grab another pick, around 20 overall and pick whoever the BPA is with our own pick, top 10 whatever it is, and grab someone like: Gautier, Horvat or Riechel with the later pick.

Coming out of the draft with a combination of a top D prospect and a big centre would be amazing.

Nurse and Gautier would be amazing.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:55 AM
puckfan13

If we could grab another late 1st somehow I'd definitely be thinking Bo Horvat if Hartman is gone. Great all-around second-line centre type prospect that really reminds of me Alex Steen. Quick and versatile and terrific 2-way player constantly hounding the puck on both ends, with a lot of skill and plays with his head up. Can play any role, not afraid to do dirty work, and always keeps his feet moving.

I like him even better than his teammate Domi and more than their big Russian d-man Zadarov. OHL is looking deep as hell this year.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:04 AM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
If we could grab another late 1st somehow I'd definitely be thinking Bo Horvat if Hartman is gone. Great all-around second-line centre type prospect that really reminds of me Alex Steen. Quick and versatile and terrific 2-way player constantly hounding the puck on both ends, with a lot of skill and plays with his head up. Can play any role, not afraid to do dirty work, and always keeps his feet moving.

I like him even better than his teammate Domi and more than their big Russian d-man Zadarov. OHL is looking deep as hell this year.
This is shaping up to be a pretty awesome draft. There's tons of guys with size and skill available all over the board. I hope we can grab another first and maybe a third second.

Old
02-27-2013, 04:55 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

People keep saying how bad it is to rush players, but when a prospect has a contract for a couple years somewhere else, it's a huge deal

Old
02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Lazar with 34goals now. Could get forty. Limited offensive upside blah, blah, blah.

I havent seen a lot of Gauthier, but I dont know what some of you are expecting. He doesnt seem to be very physical from what Ive seen.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Lazar with 34goals now. Could get forty. Limited offensive upside blah, blah, blah.

I havent seen a lot of Gauthier, but I dont know what some of you are expecting. He doesnt seem to be very physical from what Ive seen.
He could end up being a Jordan Eberle-esq steal in the upcoming draft, I just hope the Oilers can pull the feat twice.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Just to put things in perspective a bit, remember Mark McNeill, that guy many of us wanted with our second first round pick a couple years ago?

He has 21 goals this season.

Closed Thread