HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
That is only if we make the playoffs…… and that isn't looking to good at this moment!
Isn't our third rounder traded to Dallas for Mark Fistric.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
That is only if we make the playoffs…… and that isn't looking to good at this moment!
We traded our 3rd for Fistric.

The conditional pick in the Brown deal is 2014.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Rafters

Might be time to change the poll to
Jones
Drouin
Barkov
McKinnon
Monaghan

Old
03-05-2013, 11:14 PM
monkeywrench

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilvision View Post
Isn't our third rounder traded to Dallas for Mark Fistric.
Ok sorry about that man. Well my hope for getting Geertsen might of been flushed away!

Old
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Ok sorry about that man. Well my hope for getting Geertsen might of been flushed away!
Might still get him with our forth pick

Old
03-05-2013, 11:34 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I'm expecting him to be there with our 4th. He hasn't been as good as most people ranked around the same spot. For a guy with 0 offense, he hasn't been that sound defensively (mind you, he is trying to fill Musil's spot)

Old
03-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, there's still the deadline, maybe you get a 3rd in some deal.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

An Interesting Question...

...if the Oilers were to get the 1st overall AGAIN, which player should we take? BPA you say? experts seem to be split on Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin, there doesn't seem to be a clear #1. i feel the Oilers should take Seth Jones and it's a no brainer, the player in the position that the Oil have long complained about needing an impact player ever since Pronger left. but what do you think?

Old
03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
zeus3007*

I agree. Seth Jones SHOULD solidify our defense for the long term, assuming we can extend J. Schultz. A few years down the road, we could have a very good defense core with:

Jones-J. Schultz
Petry-Klefbom
N. Schultz-Marincin/Peckham/Fistric/anyone but Whitney and Potter/?????

Adding another forward in Mackinnon or Drouin just adds more to our surplus while ignoring our weaknesses. I actually wouldn't be opposed to trading it if we could get a package that included a top 4 d-man signed for 3 or more years, a top six power forward (second liner probably), or that sort of thing.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Option 1: Seth Jones

Option 2: See option 1!

Old
03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
If we were to get the first overall pick, I would almost entertain trading it away with some prospects to try and get someone who can help our team now.

In fact, I probably would trade down and see if we can get some value out of it.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:29 AM
SchultzSquared*

Jones or a full blown trade out of the pick... no sense in piecemealing our way down the order... don't think it has that much value this year anyway... only one clearcut best D and GM s know the forwards are all pretty close... will depend on what they want...

But I still say we pick 7th... this team will get "hot" at inopportune time late when pressure is off like they always do... probably sit around 2-3 until jumping some teams... in that case it's gotta be Nurse... no one else makes sense

Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
McDoused

As bad as we've been playing, I don't see us drafting Seth Jones. I think the Oilers list would look something like this:

1. Seth Jones
2. Nate MacKinnon
3. Alexander Barkov
4. Sean Monahan
5. Darnell Nurse
6. Valeri Nichushkin

Drouin and Lindholm don't really fill a need at this point.

On a seperate note I could see buffalo targeting Nicushkin seeing as they already have Girgensons and Grigorenko down the middle. Maybe they trade down and pass on Barkov/Monahan?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
On a seperate note I could see buffalo targeting Nicushkin seeing as they already have Girgensons and Grigorenko down the middle. Maybe they trade down and pass on Barkov/Monahan?
Almost positive they take either the best D or if that is gone Shinkaruk... really no bluechip defense in their system... lots of 3/4s like Pysyk and McNabb... Ristolainen would look good in their system... on the other wing they are fairly weak and they are not afraid of smaller guys so Shinkaruk would be good fit

Old
03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Almost positive they take either the best D or if that is gone Shinkaruk... really no bluechip defense in their system... lots of 3/4s like Pysyk and McNabb... Ristolainen would look good in their system... on the other wing they are fairly weak and they are not afraid of smaller guys so Shinkaruk would be good fit
Nicushkin and Grigorenko together would be sick. Those two guys who be insanely hard for defenders to handle. Put those guys together with Vanek and they have one of the best lines in Hockey.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
If we were to get the first overall pick, I would almost entertain trading it away with some prospects to try and get someone who can help our team now.

In fact, I probably would trade down and see if we can get some value out of it.
Columbus would be perfect.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:47 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
As bad as we've been playing, I don't see us drafting Seth Jones. I think the Oilers list would look something like this:

1. Seth Jones
2. Nate MacKinnon
3. Alexander Barkov
4. Sean Monahan
5. Darnell Nurse
6. Valeri Nichushkin

i get nervous as hell when i think the Oilers picking 7th or whatever, end up picking Nishushkin or Shinkaruk. don't need another winger unless Hemsky is gone and that's a possibility. we likely won't pick #1 again (watch the howling from the conspiracy theorists if we did actually get it again! ) but this team needs to focus on picking a high end center like Barkov or Monahan or Lindholm....or a potential high end d-man like Nurse or Ristolainen or Zadorov or Pulock.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Columbus would be perfect.
the only problem is i wouldn't want to pass on a chance to take Seth Jones. maybe? he's not NHL ready, but with a few more years of seasoning, you could end up with another Alex Pietrangelo!!

Old
03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:

1. Seth Jones
2. Nate MacKinnon
3. Alexander Barkov
4. Sean Monahan
5. Darnell Nurse
6. Valeri Nichushkin

Wouldn't the Oilers have Lindholm in their top 6?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Wouldn't the Oilers have Lindholm in their top 6?
Don't get me wrong, I think Drouin goes top 3 (maybe even 1st overall) while Lindholm could go top 5 but I just don't see them bringing something we already have down the middle. Eberle and RNH make Drouin and Lindholm a bit redundant.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
i get nervous as hell when i think the Oilers picking 7th or whatever, end up picking Nishushkin or Shinkaruk. don't need another winger unless Hemsky is gone and that's a possibility. we likely won't pick #1 again (watch the howling from the conspiracy theorists if we did actually get it again! ) but this team needs to focus on picking a high end center like Barkov or Monahan or Lindholm....or a potential high end d-man like Nurse or Ristolainen or Zadorov or Pulock.
I definitely agree. We don't need another winger unless its a Rick Nash/Milan Lucic. Even then I would prioritize a center or defenceman. Barkov or Monahan would be amazing. I'm not a big Nicushkin fan but he could be on the oilers radar because of his size.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

If we get the second or third overall pick I would trade down to 4 or 5 to get Barkov or Monahan.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If we get the second or third overall pick I would trade down to 4 or 5 to get Barkov or Monahan.
though Monahan probably would still be there at 5, Barkov might not. it's a gamble to do that if the Oil would prefer Barkov over Monahan.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:10 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:

I do not think they would trade this one away known they have a chance to draft a potential superstar dman. Though I could see them trading either Eberle (I know I will not be popular suggesting that) or Yakupov, for smaller pieces to make this team more stable. By smaller pieces I am like a power forward or some role guys, and know it would take more than that to get Yak or Ebs from us.

It is really sad that we have another shot at drafting 1st overall.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:12 AM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
though Monahan probably would still be there at 5, Barkov might not. it's a gamble to do that if the Oil would prefer Barkov over Monahan.
I am I the only one that is not really high on Barkov? Is there something I am missing?

Closed Thread