HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who else thinks we're gonna have a great season?

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 03:45 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500

Sure it's not just me, although I get this feeling every year about this time, fresh start and all.

I'm looking forward to some very positive things this year. We're healthy and have depth on defense and with Komi, Souray and Rivet, we're tough enough too. Theo will be alright if he has the help in front. The kids have another year under their belts and there's the front office/dressing room leadership to bring them along properly. Hopefully Ribiero, Ward, Hossa , Hainsey (and maybe Higgins/Ryder?) can prove they belong (Boullion already has). Also, hope Koivu, Zednick, Markov and Bulis can all have career years. Brisebois, Perreault, Audette, Sundstrom, Dwyer and Juneau all have roles they can fill, and they be asked to fill them, and nothing more (i.e not thrown to the wolves).

Best of all, we're in great shape with prospects in the system and with respect to contracts, for when Armageddon arrives next season.

Lets look forward to a season we can build on, with lots of entertainment thrown in along the way.

Old
09-21-2003, 05:42 AM
BrettHabs24

Me!

Old
09-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
The thing is that Zednik, Koivu, Markov, Bulis all had carreer years, who will repeat? Who won't? We will know it later.

The youngster could struggle, and they have the right to: they are young. IMO, it's more of a year of transition, of adaptation. Will Theodore bounce back? We don't know, and to be honest, our season might well be entirely depending of him. If he's good but not great, we might as well forget about the playoffs right now. We don't have a great offence, I mean... Audette shouldn't be a first liner! We don't have a great defense either, and we're supposed to have great goaltending, that's the key.

We might make the playoffs, but in the long haul, I don't know what is the best thing..

Old
09-21-2003, 08:13 PM
Corey

The Habs may not make the playoffs this coming season, but their day will come before long as their prospects develop. Certain teams, such as Washington, Toronto, and the Rangers, will be in trouble in a year or two because they're getting old.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:40 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
Sure it's not just me, although I get this feeling every year about this time, fresh start and all.
I think we'll have a good season based on the fact that the Habs usually rule during the pre-season; then they usually collapse during the regular season. This season the team isn't doing all that well in the pre-season, so...

All-Star

Old
09-22-2003, 04:38 AM
zurg999

Oh yeah, the other thing that has to be factored in is the ethic Gainey will bring to the team. Everyone will be accountable. Would you like to be the player to answer to Bob G. after a less than 100% percent effort?

Remembering the way Gainey played the game, I think about Lemaire's answer to why he kept the Wild players shifts short. He said if they're weren't tired after 40 seconds, they weren't working hard enough.

Old
09-22-2003, 08:07 AM
Gros Bill

Count me in as one thinking the Habs will have a "great" season, basically for the same reasons as Plekanec ; improved D, strength in nets, and BG's "firm hand on the tiller".

I just hope everyone realizes our "Stanley Cup" this year, as much as it pains me to say so, will be to make the playoffs. If we do, the season will have been a success.

Go Habs Go.

Old
09-22-2003, 01:46 PM
oli500

I also think well have a good season.

(Just like I do every season). Even if we dont make the playoffs this year all I want to see from are young players his hart and work ethic on the ice every game. I mean maybe if they play that way the veterans are going to wake up, and well have a winning combinations. If they can get trough the month of october with a winning record anything well be possible.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:00 PM
Habs4ever

we are rebuilding so having good season would be bonus!!!

but realistically we'll pick in top ten come next june draft, but itss not all bad as we're on right track so having another losing season won't be that bigger problem with the young core we're starting to build through this tough days.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Quote:
ME !!!
lol... I'm always optimist about the habs

GO HABS GO !!!

Old
09-22-2003, 03:27 PM
sundaystar

I would love for us to do great this season but in the long run i would rather tank the year. If we finished in the bottom we could get the superstar this team needs. all the habs need is a future superstar(not a star) such as Alexander Ovechkin. If we got the first overall pick this year we would have a dynasty in the making.

Old
09-22-2003, 05:06 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaystar
I would love for us to do great this season but in the long run i would rather tank the year. If we finished in the bottom we could get the superstar this team needs. all the habs need is a future superstar(not a star) such as Alexander Ovechkin. If we got the first overall pick this year we would have a dynasty in the making.

groan

Old
09-22-2003, 10:34 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999

I'm looking forward to some very positive things this year. We're healthy and have depth on defense and with Komi, Souray and Rivet, we're tough enough too.
Healthy? Haven't you been keeping up with all the injuries?

Old
09-23-2003, 04:52 AM
Joe Cole

[QUOTE=Plekanec]

Second, our defensive is going to be alot more respectable, there will be a major improvment at the blueline with the return of Souray and the add of Komisarek instead Traverse and Dykhuis!

Third, Ward >>> Czerkawski.... Higgins >>>>>> Mckay.... Ribeiro is going to know a great season and becoming a nice second line center for us... Dwyer will bring respect and will protect our small players the better he can...

In the net we are a force... If ever a team could surprise alot this year in the East, the Habs are to be seriously considered!
QUOTE]

I did not have much hope for a playoff team this year, but you have some interesting comments. The defence should be better, I hope that Souray is as good as every one here thinks. I have my doubts, but I would love to be proved wrong.

While I do not think that Higgins will play 82 games for the Habs, my dog would be an improvement over McKay last year. That was a disgraceful season for such a proud vetern. But I do not think that Dwyer scares anyone. He is not a legitimate enforcer in the class of Brash, Puriton, or that guy in Columbus. He might be a good guy to have around, but he doesn't scare anyone.

As for in nets, that is where the season will lie. If Theo, Garon or the guy that the Habs may trade Theo for play at 175%, then we will make the playoffs. The key is a great performance by our goaltender.

That said, your opinion really pumped me up.

Thing is, what have the other teams done to improve....Buffalo will be better, what about the others?

Old
09-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Corey

It's premature to say Ribeiro will have a great season. Let's see what happens when other teams go right after him. Will Zednik and Hossa protect him?

Old
09-23-2003, 06:14 AM
Darz

Of course we are going to have a great year!!!!!

the Habs rule!!!!!!

I, like many others, have high expectations for the season ahead, like I have for the past 25 or so seasons. Call it blinded homerism or whatever you want, but as every season starts, I hope AND EXPECT THE BEST....and then lately get more disappointed as the season goes on, finally being the most disappointed with the final game of the season (or playoffs). The only years so far without major disappointment were '93, '86, '79, '78, '77, and '76.

Closed Thread