HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Edler Re-Signs w/ VAN [6 Years / $30M ($5M AAV) ]

Old
01-19-2013, 03:10 AM
VanCanucks14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Think it's safe to say Edler left at least 6 million on the table with this deal

He must really like Vancouver
Yeah but he's just a laid back person in general. Doesn't seem like someone who's too fussy about anything and probably didn't want to go through the hassle of free agency and moving if he's comfortable here. Typical Swede

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:11 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ I'm still holding out hope for Polasek.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:13 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
He just seems like a humble, down-to-earth guy with a team-first attitude. We love you Edler!
This. A hundred times, this.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
if eddie plays out all 6 years (which he should) he'll likely easily be over 800 games played as a dman which would put him first all time for nucks

edit: this season he could enter the top 10 in points by dman as well

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Vajakki

Excellent deal and I'm happy that the Canucks didn't hold on that ~4.5mil "cap" for defensemen since clearly Edler is the best D we got and worth more than the rest.

Edler would've definitely got 6 million or more in the open market next summer. That's a guarantee even with lower cap number.

Canucks defense looks set for many years. Edler and Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa as top 4, and good young players like Tanev and Corrado already pretty much locks to do well in the NHL. Add in somewhat promising Andersson, McNally, Price and McEneny and it feels good man.

There's no room for Ballard nor his salary so that has to be dealt with at some point.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:01 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Love the discount Edler took! But at the same time, I get it. The dude just banked 30 million dollars. Leaving a few mill on the table as a 'thanks' to the Canucks is the mutually beneficial thing to do. The Canucks provide a quality of life that few other teams can boast. Being a Canuck is more a lifestyle than it is a job. Full credit goes to Gillis for creating this little ecosystem.

I think this is true. I also think that staying in Vancouver will make him better. Hitting the free-market, getting more money, getting built up expectations in new environment builds pressure and wears on the self-esteem. I really do not see Edler as a player that thrive under this circumstances. In Vancouver Edler will get trust (as many other players before, Bieksa most notably) and that will make him play better.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:28 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
There's no room for Ballard nor his salary so that has to be dealt with at some point.
Sadly for Ballard, his salary is about the same amount as Burrow's and Edler's raises. Maybe even Tanev's, too (could they get away with a 200,00 boost to 1.1 mill? maybe). Very likely he's gone before the start of next season.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Tiranis

Great job Gillis and not surprised that Edler re-signed. Can't help but laugh at all the suggestions in past threads that he didn't want to be here.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:11 AM
GoTeamDom

This is amazing. As the guy who suggested (and got universally destroyed) for suggesting that Edler should be traded this season, I completely take it back.

Edler for 6 years at $5m is an absolute steal, and an asset, and there's almost no way that he won't play up to that contract.

Glad to have him long term.

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:46 AM
billvanseattle

Talk about depth ....

we have our top 4, then:

Tanev Ballard Barker Vandermeer right now, with

Corrado, McEnney Sauve Connauton Anderson Polasek and McNally coming in the future.

The only problem I see is Corrado may be looking at this team and saying where the hell do I fit in? This has to be Ballard's last year as a Canuck .... And is it Barker or Vandermeer at the 7th D man right now?

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:47 AM
GoTeamDom

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Talk about depth ....

we have our top 4, then:

Tanev Ballard Barker Vandermeer right now, with

Corrado, McEnney Sauve Connauton Anderson Polasek and McNally coming in the future.

The only problem I see is Corrado may be looking at this team and saying where the hell do I fit in? This has to be Ballard's last year as a Canuck .... And is it Barker or Vandermeer at the 7th D man right now?
Andrew Alberts

GoTeamDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Very happy he decided to sign for such a good value.

I love the salary structure of our core. We have the best long term cap position of any top team- Gillis is a genius.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
Andrew Alberts
damn new I was missing someone ... lol

so 5 -6 is Tanev Ballard

7th is Alberts

8th is a toss up between Vandemeer and Barker

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:41 AM
rban*

Great signing. Tremendous equality tween Vancouver Dmen salaries, five of top six making tween 4 and 5 each. Good 'balanced' defense, balance in terms of abilities, term lengths, and cap hits.

A great defense corps. Goaltending and defense are this team's strengths, secondary forward scoring are its Achilles heel. Which can only be fixed by getting someone really really good to play with Kesler and create a real powerhouse 2nd line behind the Sedins.

Next step: resolve the Luongo situation, free up some space and do something about that second line.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:44 AM
thenextone

I like how Gillis likes to scoop the reporters by tweeting the news himself first

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:45 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Pittsburgh fan here... just throwing out my opinion. I love this signing. I think he's a great solid player. I think it's fair for everyone and he stays on a contender for quite some time. I was extremely happy when I saw this news.

Good luck this season! Here is hoping we finally get our wish of a Pittsburgh/Nucks final!

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Pittsburgh fan here... just throwing out my opinion. I love this signing. I think he's a great solid player. I think it's fair for everyone and he stays on a contender for quite some time. I was extremely happy when I saw this news.

Good luck this season! Here is hoping we finally get our wish of a Pittsburgh/Nucks final!
I'll pass on that. I want nothing to do with Crosby and Malkin in the Finals.
It would be great hockey though. Bring on bryzie.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Nice news to wake up to.

Swedish meatballs for dinner tonight.

Eddy Punch Clock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Smokey McCanucks

That's a great signing by Gillis, I reckoned Edler would bring at least a $6mil cap hit on a new deal, to get him at that number for that term is amazing. One of the most underrated blueliners in the league, does everything well, no real holes in his game. He's like a young Ohlund with two good eyes. This deal means we are set as can be on defence for years to come.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:56 AM
LeftCoast

For a team that is expected to be pretty much at or near the salary cap every year, our cap structure going forward is in pretty good shape.

Right now we have only 2 large contracts that are questionable in terms of return - Booth and Ballard. Luongo's contract will be off the books before the summer.

If Kassian and Schroeder can emerge as offensive players this season and Raymond has a bounce back, I expect Booth to be traded or bought out. The latest injury (for me) was just too much. I don't blame Booth for getting injured - **** happens. But you have to get value for those contracts.

Having Edler, Garrison, Hamhuis and Bieksa all under contract with Tanev emerging as a quality defender leaves our blue line in good shape. If Ballard continues where he left off last year he is starting to find his place on the team.

Up front, the only thing we are missing - long term - is a succession plan for the Sedins. I'm also a bit worried about the wear and tear on Kesler's body. However i am encouraged by the progress of Nicklass Jensen, Brendan Gaunce and Jordan Schroeder, but none of these guys are a replacement for Henrik or Daniel.

I would be ecstatic if we could turn the Luongo trade into a top 15 draft pick and a decent prospect.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
alternate

When Booth and Ballard are your "bad" contracts, you're in great shape.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
When Booth and Ballard are your "bad" contracts, you're in great shape.
Agreed, it's beyond me how people rag on Gillis round here, when you compare his contracts to some that have gone down the last few years, it's like dodging a bullet every time someone comes up for free agency.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Happy because the Flyers don't get him?

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Scurr

I'm just glad Gillis/Gillman are negotiating these deals and not you guys

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Not to mention the completely awesome new trend of UFA BC born defencemen coming home on sweetheart contracts.

Willie Mitchell
Dan Hamhuis
Jason Garrison

Ugh... Shea Weber. We were so close.

But yeah, if KCon, Tanev, and Andersson all make the Canucks down the line, we are a lethal team.
Let's hope it goes this way and not the..

BC Boy
Grew up watching the Canucks
Wanted to play for them
Family are all huge Canucks fans
Sign in Edmonton

trend.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote